• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So it was just Level-5 reconfirming LMJ Deluxe coming to the Switch? Maybe they should have told Nintendo to hold off confirming the game until they announced it themselves.

Well that's a bummer...

So they did not even confirm the anime coming to the west yet?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It would have been tough to excite people right after the showing Wayforward just had.
>Shantae 5 animation by Trigger
>full River City Girls unveiling and gameplay
I mean, tough act to follow right there.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm not really sure if Level-5 was really aiming to top Wayforward in their showing. Especially since most of the stuff they have to show for is already out in Japan. So its more just to confirm to what they will be bringing over.

I do wonder if Nintendo might have accidentally revealed the Deluxe port of LMJ a bit earlier than they probably intended . Especially since there is a few day's difference between the two. But who knows I guess.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So what would be exciting to you, exactly? At least it would have been nice to know what's happening to that mecha game Level-5 was preparing a while ago.
geez man im just not interested in shante or river city girls (first im hearing of it) so yeah it seems like itd be easy to top to me

D

Deleted member

So, just to make sure...

Do we have a release date for Layton’s Mystery Journey on Switch?

amageish

Smash Master
So it was just Level-5 reconfirming LMJ Deluxe coming to the Switch? Maybe they should have told Nintendo to hold off confirming the game until they announced it themselves.

Well that's a bummer...

So they did not even confirm the anime coming to the west yet?
Nope. Nothing beyond just reiterating the Switch version of Kat's game and Diabolical Box on mobile.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Nope. Nothing beyond just reiterating the Switch version of Kat's game and Diabolical Box on mobile.
Oh I see, well on the bright side, its good that they got the info out to a wider audience this time. Rather than just confining the info in a tweet and expecting info to just spread just like that.

That's already a step up from what they did with Curious Village HD.

I wasn't really expecting much out of the Anime Expo anyway other than the announcement of the western release of the Layton anime. I think that's probably my biggest surprise that they still didn't confirm yet. Hopefully it will be coming soon.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Hey I'm interested in getting into the Layton games. Would the upcoming Layton's Mystery Journey for Switch be a good place to start?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hey I'm interested in getting into the Layton games. Would the upcoming Layton's Mystery Journey for Switch be a good place to start?
Nah, not at all. It's got a style that's very different to the other games, follows a completely different character and is very inferior in many fans' eyes.

The Switch port of Curious Village, though? That's the best starting point you could ask for.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well the thing about Mystery Journey is that the game is a bit of a reboot for the series (Kind of like what Apollo Justice was meant to be for the Ace Attorney series)

That said, the game follows overall a completely different structure from the original series. Besides the obvious fact that it follows a brand new protagonist in Katrielle Layton, the overall story follows a more episodic structure over the more focused plotlines that the original series had. It's also more comedic in nature over the more level headed storytelling too.

The puzzles are also a tad weaker too (presumably due to the original puzzle master having passed away so they had to hire a new one) though I've heard that they are working on fixing those in the Switch Deluxe port. But that remains to be seen for now I guess.

Overall it might be for the best to start the series in order of release and work your way up from there. Curious Village is practically designed with newcomers in mind as it has a more basic and simplistic storyline compared to later entries. Making it easier to get the general gist and understanding of the core gameplay elements. It also got an HD port for IOS devices last year with additional cutscenes, collectables and QoL changes that where introduced in later entries. and Pandora's/Diabolical Box HD just came out the other day. Unwound/Lost Future HD probably isn't that far away at this point and we'll probably see it around December/January or so.

There are rumours that the original trilogy may be heading to the Switch as well, but that might be off until sometime next year at least.

And that's my two cents I suppose. Sorry for the wall of text....

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Well the thing about Mystery Journey is that the game is a bit of a reboot for the series (Kind of like what Apollo Justice was meant to be for the Ace Attorney series)
Off-topic to the reccomendations, but I do find it kinda hillarious that they tried to do an Apollo-esque reboot when they saw how that was received when AA did it... You'd think they would have learned from their peers?

That said, much like Apollo, I do love Katrielle as a character. I just the Chekhov's guns in the missions weren't so obvious...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Off-topic to the reccomendations, but I do find it kinda hillarious that they tried to do an Apollo-esque reboot when they saw how that was received when AA did it... You'd think they would have learned from their peers?

That said, much like Apollo, I do love Katrielle as a character. I just the Chekhov's guns in the missions weren't so obvious...
Level-5 mainly wanted to appeal more towards the large female audience the series has garnered by giving it a female lead.
That, and the fact that they felt that they more or less explored everything when it comes to Hershel's character after Azran Legacy.

I think Capcom had a similar thought as they did with Phoenix when they thought it was time for a new protagonist.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
My first game in the franchise was Unwound Future, which was the final game in the original trilogy.

Curious Village, on DS anyways, felt a bit rough to go back to after enjoying Unwound Future imo. So I suppose Curious Village is a good start.
If you're inclined to jump in as soon as possible, the mobile release for it may not be a bad idea if you've got a good smart phone. I played Mystery Journey on Mobile when it first came out, and I think it ran very well. So I could only imagine Curious Village would be just as good, if not better since it doesn't have any 3D assets from what I remember.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Level-5 mainly wanted to appeal more towards the large female audience the series has garnered by giving it a female lead.
That, and the fact that they felt that they more or less explored everything when it comes to Hershel's character after Azran Legacy.

I think Capcom had a similar thought as they did with Phoenix when they thought it was time for a new protagonist.
itll be interesting to see what happens to the layton series next after the over all reactions to kat (im not entirely sure what it is) after all capcom got a bit of negative response due to having apollo as a new main character and went back to having nick as the main character even though the games were still following apollo's story

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
itll be interesting to see what happens to the layton series next after the over all reactions to kat (im not entirely sure what it is) after all capcom got a bit of negative response due to having apollo as a new main character and went back to having nick as the main character even though the games were still following apollo's story
Kat had a bit of a mixed reception from what I've seen (Not as bad as Apollo, mind you, but still)
If the anime is anything to go by, then they will probably do something like Miracle Mask and have the story play out in both the past and present from Hershel and Kat's perspective respectively until it all comes together in the end.

I don't think they will drop her just yet, but then again, Hino did say that the next entry might not necessarily star Katrielle again, so who knows....

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If the anime is anything to go by, then they will probably do something like Miracle Mask and have the story play out in both the past and present from Hershel and Kat's perspective respectively until it all comes together in the end.
now thatd be just the thing

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Kat had a bit of a mixed reception from what I've seen (Not as bad as Apollo, mind you, but still)

I don't think they will drop her just yet, but then again, Hino did say that the next entry might not necessarily star Katrielle again, so who knows....
Considering how the anime ended I'm willing to bet that the next Layton project will involve the whole family

amageish

Smash Master

Fair. The decision to also change the formula and release it on smartphones first at the same time as changing the protagonist probably hurt them a bit too...

Considering how the anime ended I'm willing to bet that the next Layton project will involve the whole family
They've set themselves up for the easiest title change. It's now Laytons' Mystery Journey, with a plural possessive for all the Laytons involved. :-D

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I really hope they do that, it could be a bit like Ace Attorney dual destinies with having multiple characters you play as. If we ever got a switch release, I wonder if a Co-op Layton game could work, with one Player as Professor Layton and the other as Katrielle. Having Co-op could open up to new types of puzzles that the other games could do.

Also I recently found this image

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So apparently Nintendo has been negotiating with other third party companies for DLC since at least April 2018.
I think that was around the time when the only thing we knew of Ultimate was the first reveal with Inkling in the new Smash game.

I don't remember what characters where popular back then, but I suppose that would explain why they couldn't include the likes of Rex and Spring Man for DLC if they where already planning on making deals with third parties for DLC as far back as that.
If that's the case than chances are that the final two characters may be ballot choices too (either that, or more Sakurai favourites:ultjoker:) I guess we'll see what happens.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So apparently Nintendo has been negotiating with other third party companies for DLC since at least April 2018.
I think that was around the time when the only thing we knew of Ultimate was the first reveal with Inkling in the new Smash game.

I don't remember what characters where popular back then, but I suppose that would explain why they couldn't include the likes of Rex and Spring Man for DLC if they where already planning on making deals with third parties for DLC as far back as that.
If that's the case than chances are that the final two characters may be ballot choices too (either that, or more Sakurai favourites:ultjoker:) I guess we'll see what happens.
what else can we do but wait

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

It'll be interesting to find out if potential future DLC (nothing has disproved the datamine yet) ties into these meetings, too. If so, that's pretty thorough future-proofing.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The one about 16 slots that have been found in WOL's files some months ago. Don't believe it if you want, but as it stands, nothing is proving whether or not they'll be used until we get to February.
Yeah that remains to be seen what will happen to that. If they will even be used at all.
I hope they will but I guess its up to Nintendo and if they deem it worth doing and all.

Apparently Nintendo planned the DLC before Sakurai's consent so I guess its up to them whether or not they want to continue beyond this fighters pass.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The one about 16 slots that have been found in WOL's files some months ago. Don't believe it if you want, but as it stands, nothing is proving whether or not they'll be used until we get to February.
ah that one, though between joker and hero those slots will have reduced a fair bit

it may be more of a blow to the 32 slots though

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
A tad unrelated but apparently today is the 10th anniversary of Dragon Quest 9 and the 6th anniversary of Yokai Watch.
I thought that was pretty interesting to note that these two games developed by Level-5 came out on the same day but different years.
Never realized how young Yokai Watch was.

Hino even made a tweet in regards to that.

This is sadly also the 4th anniversary since the late Satoru Iwata passed away back in 2015. May he rest in peace.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
A tad unrelated but apparently today is the 10th anniversary of Dragon Quest 9 and the 6th anniversary of Yokai Watch.
I thought that was pretty interesting to note that these two games developed by Level-5 came out on the same day but different years.
Never realized how young Yokai Watch was.

Hino even made a tweet in regards to that.

This is sadly also the 4th anniversary since the late Satoru Iwata passed away back in 2015. May he rest in peace.
yeah yo-kai watch's age all way surprises me to

video game fans all over still miss iwata

i payed tribute to him in my own little way

Last edited:
Top Bottom