• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I feel like Level-5 just needs to announce a new game with the Prof in it and I'm sure support will rise high.
Apparently they are waiting until that one Inazuma Eleven game comes out before they announce any other projects on the horizon. I would hope not and they will just announce the next entry at the TGS or Level-5 Vision...

Speaking of which, apparently there is this whole petition going on over at Twitter with Layton fans demanding to bring back Professor Layton since apparently he hasn't had a game for over 7 years (Has it really been that long since Azran Legacy?) I guess people really do view LMJ as a spin off more than a reboot of the series huh...?
thats true fans tend to jump bandwagons pretty quickly, crash had an up surge in support after his switch port began to be rumoured

people are always upset if a new protagonist takes over, look at ace attorney so many of them complained when apollo came on seen and nick was given alarger role, so much so that the made him the main character again in the next main game. and based on what i see in nick's support thread now they're all upset that apollo didnt get his full time to shine.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Whoa, 7 years since Azran Legacy?? Holy moly I feel old...

thats true fans tend to jump bandwagons pretty quickly, crash had an up surge in support after his switch port began to be rumoured

people are always upset if a new protagonist takes over, look at ace attorney so many of them complained when apollo came on seen and nick was given alarger role, so much so that the made him the main character again in the next main game. and based on what i see in nick's support thread now they're all upset that apollo didnt get his full time to shine.
I am indeed upset.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Yeah that's pretty much more or less how it goes. I think a new entry is very likely in the works though, why else would Level-5 try to tide us over with an anime, a deluxe port of LMJ as well as HD remasters of the original series on IOS and Android devices. Certainly not to introduce the Layton series to a whole new player base when the Prof finally makes it into Smash or anything right.... right....? :lol:

Yeah more or less, Kat wasn't received as poorly as Apollo did initially though, most where confused more than anything, it wasn't until the game came out and how drastically different it was from the old series when a huge divide started to occur.

But yeah, with fan petitions and fan games being made for the Layton series, I think a lot of Layton fans really want to see the Prof finally make his return though. #LaytonComeHome

Whoa, 7 years since Azran Legacy?? Holy moly I feel old...
Looked it up, its only been 6 years next year it would be 7 though, jeez don't scare me like that Laytonites.
Still, time really flies, seems like it was only yesterday when they celebrated the series 10th anniversary and that also was two years ago.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I am indeed upset.
he still got to tell his whole story arch

Yeah that's pretty much more or less how it goes. I think a new entry is very likely in the works though, why else would Level-5 try to tide us over with an anime, a deluxe port of LMJ as well as HD remasters of the original series on IOS and Android devices. Certainly not to introduce the Layton series to a whole new player base when the Prof finally makes it into Smash or anything right.... right....? :lol:

Yeah more or less, Kat wasn't received as poorly as Apollo did initially though, most where confused more than anything, it wasn't until the game came out and how drastically different it was from the old series when a huge divide started to occur.

But yeah, with fan petitions and fan games being made for the Layton series, I think a lot of Layton fans really want to see the Prof finally make his return though. #LaytonComeHome
i cant recall what everyones problem was, i know there were some changes i wasnt found of but it was still enjoyable

although kat's catchphrase got a little annoying

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Been on SmashBoards for almost a year now, but I'm admittedly pretty forgetful when it comes to actually signing up the support threads for the characters I profess supporting elsewhere

Layton's a character I've wanted for a while, being my second most wanted third party character and in my top five most wanted characters overall. While unlike my other most wanted picks, I've never really envisioned a moveset for him, I've admittedly never fully tried or read other peoples' ideas for it. Layton admittedly isn't the character with the most obvious moveset, but that doesn't mean it can't be done and Sakurai has repeatedly proven his creativity in this regards.

I have thought of signing up to this thread before, but the notion that we were going to get one or two more DLC characters didn't feel me with hope, but the news we're getting even more, which opens things up a lot, has made me feel more opportunistic

So ... hi!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Been on SmashBoards for almost a year now, but I'm admittedly pretty forgetful when it comes to actually signing up the support threads for the characters I profess supporting elsewhere

Layton's a character I've wanted for a while, being my second most wanted third party character and in my top five most wanted characters overall. While unlike my other most wanted picks, I've never really envisioned a moveset for him, I've admittedly never fully tried or read other peoples' ideas for it. Layton admittedly isn't the character with the most obvious moveset, but that doesn't mean it can't be done and Sakurai has repeatedly proven his creativity in this regards.

I have thought of signing up to this thread before, but the notion that we were going to get one or two more DLC characters didn't feel me with hope, but the news we're getting even more, which opens things up a lot, has made me feel more opportunistic

So ... hi!
I'm happy to have you on board Gyrom8, I'll add you to the supporters list.
There is some nice idea's passed around in terms of moveset for Layton so I think Sakurai will be fine when it comes to that, especially considering the countless other characters he managed to include and work.

veeflames

Smash Rookie
Okay, so this morning I pretty much went on a frenzy because of how much I want Professor Layton in Smash. I LITERALLY just looked up new YouTube videos about Professor Layton in Smash Bros., and I even watched Koolooc's video (which is amazing, by the way). After I watched that, I really couldn't stop thinking about how much I want the Professor in Smash. He's easily my most-wanted newcomer ever since Smash 4.

I could talk more, but I got stuff to do at this very moment, but I guess I just want to say how happy I am to find a reasonably large community of Smash fans who also want to see Layton in Smash. I hope I can contribute to the discussion in any way I can, and I'd love to hear y'all's current thoughts and opinions! Should be a fun time.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Okay, so this morning I pretty much went on a frenzy because of how much I want Professor Layton in Smash. I LITERALLY just looked up new YouTube videos about Professor Layton in Smash Bros., and I even watched Koolooc's video (which is amazing, by the way). After I watched that, I really couldn't stop thinking about how much I want the Professor in Smash. He's easily my most-wanted newcomer ever since Smash 4.

I could talk more, but I got stuff to do at this very moment, but I guess I just want to say how happy I am to find a reasonably large community of Smash fans who also want to see Layton in Smash. I hope I can contribute to the discussion in any way I can, and I'd love to hear y'all's current thoughts and opinions! Should be a fun time.
Hey welcome to Smashboards veeflames, I've added you to the supporters list.

We're always happy to see more Layton fans joining on the support for the Prof, so feel free to post here and share your support anytime.
Welcome on board!

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Hey Curious Villager Curious Villager and Layton fans, I heard you all were somewhat interested in or excited about the announcement of the Famicom Detective Club remake being announced last week.

So I was thinking, maybe you all or any other Layton fans here can help us push Operation Tachibana as a movement. We have a Twitter for the movement, a petition, and a video in the works explaining our goals. Supporting us and spreading the word is all you have to do.

I know it seems out of the blue, but Famicom Detective Club is what paved the way for adventure games like Layton years later. So I was thinking some extra push from fellow fans of the genre for this movement could help. Our main goal is to try and convince Nintendo to have the FDC remake localized. What do you all say? Are you open for the assistance?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Hey Curious Villager Curious Villager and Layton fans, I heard you all were somewhat interested in or excited about the announcement of the Famicom Detective Club remake being announced last week.

So I was thinking, maybe you all or any other Layton fans here can help us push Operation Tachibana as a movement. We have a Twitter for the movement, a petition, and a video in the works explaining our goals. Supporting us and spreading the word is all you have to do.

I know it seems out of the blue, but Famicom Detective Club is what paved the way for adventure games like Layton years later. So I was thinking some extra push from fellow fans of the genre for this movement could help. Our main goal is to try and convince Nintendo to have the FDC remake localized. What do you all say? Are you open for the assistance?
Hey, I'd be happy to help out and see the remake be localized. Perhaps you might be able to reach out to more Layton fans at the Professor Layton Reddit page and Discord group.

I think I might love to see Katrielle Layton and Ayumi Tachibana have a crossover game one day if possible. Similar to the Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright game.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Hey, I'd be happy to help out and see the remake be localized. Perhaps you might be able to reach out to more Layton fans at the Professor Layton Reddit page and Discord group.

I think I might love to see Katrielle Layton and Ayumi Tachibana have a crossover game one day if possible. Similar to the Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright game.
Thanks and these are great ideas to think about. I very appreciate the assistance.

Yes, a crossover with the two would be the most wholesome thing ever. Maybe one day when Nintendo helps FDC get big as it was in the past.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Alright, I'm thinking of maybe starting a Twitter and/or Tumblr support campaign (if there isn't one for Layton already) in order to reach out to more Layton fans and maybe help encourage them to become more vocal for the Prof. I don't know if it will do us much good to confine most things solely in this thread here as support seems to be going pretty slowly elsewhere.

Let me know what you all think and perhaps some suggestions of what I should do and/or include in them and I'll see what I can do.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

back up, theyre remaking famicom detective club? sign me up id love a chance to play it

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Actually nevermind, I think I'm going to wait until the Tokyo Game Show has passed, and probably the Level-5 Vision too.
There is an incoming Talk Show with Akihiro Hino coming up later this month. So I guess we'll see what the current state of Level-5 is right now and what their plans are for the future.

Hopefully he will confirm a new upcoming Level-5 Vision for next month.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Actually nevermind, I think I'm going to wait until the Tokyo Game Show has passed, and probably the Level-5 Vision too.
There is an incoming Talk Show with Akihiro Hino coming up later this month. So I guess we'll see what the current state of Level-5 is right now and what their plans are for the future.

Hopefully he will confirm a new upcoming Level-5 Vision for next month.
probably for the best, but hey at least the constant ports are keeping the series active

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
probably for the best, but hey at least the constant ports are keeping the series active
I guess so yeah, although their not really marketing them properly as I've come across a lot of Layton fans who weren't even aware of the HD remasters being a thing...

So yeah, it seems to be more of a low priority side project type of thing, or something to just keep the fans occupied until the next mainline entry comes along. Kind of similar to what Nintendo is doing with the Zelda remakes.

Its been two years since LMJ came out, so hopefully they will announce the next mainline game pretty soon.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
So was the game confirmed not to get a western release? I mean, I know it was only revealed in the Japanese Direct but still....
Nothing's confirmed yet, no. I assume this is more of a precautionary measure just in case. So far we just know it exists and will eventually be released in Japan I guess

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
So was the game confirmed not to get a western release? I mean, I know it was only revealed in the Japanese Direct but still....
No, it was only shown in the Japanese Direct.

There is no official confirmation, but it is looking slim to be localized. It is better to be fully prepared and push for it than waiting.

Even though I would like for NOA to prove us wrong.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Nothing's confirmed yet, no. I assume this is more of a precautionary measure just in case. So far we just know it exists and will eventually be released in Japan I guess
No, it was only shown in the Japanese Direct.

There is no official confirmation, but it is looking slim to be localized. It is better to be fully prepared and push for it than waiting.

Even though I would like for NOA to prove us wrong.
Oh I see.
Well considering Miyamoto's comments in that one interview, it might be for the best to support the game then, just to be safe, since they might find the localization cost too high of a risk to try and bring the game over if they don't feel that there is any demand for it to justify it.

So it may be for the best to show them that there is overseas interest for the game.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Oh I see.
Well considering Miyamoto's comments in that one interview, it might be for the best to support the game then, just to be safe, since they might find the localization cost too high of a risk to try and bring the game over if they don't feel that there is any demand for it to justify the cost.

So it may be for the best to show them that there is overseas interest for the game.
Which is our main goal.

This is similar to how Capcom refused to localize the Great Ace Attorney Games since they were rooted in Japanese culture. We just have to be prepared for the inevitable and go against it.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Which is our main goal.

This is similar to how Capcom refused to localize the Great Ace Attorney Games since they were rooted in Japanese culture. We just have to be prepared for the inevitable and go against it.
The bigger reason The Great Ace Attorney wasn't localized was because of the copyright law surrounding the specific Sherlock Holmes mysteries used. AAI2 would be a better example, though unfortunately that was just a game caught up in a bad time for Capcom overseas and a leadership change. Shame considering it's the best one.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
The bigger reason The Great Ace Attorney wasn't localized was because of the copyright law surrounding the specific Sherlock Holmes mysteries used. AAI2 would be a better example, though unfortunately that was just a game caught up in a bad time for Capcom overseas and a leadership change. Shame considering it's the best one.

I actually never knew that. In that case, it makes much more sense and a big shame. Copyrights preventing good games from being localized.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Which is our main goal.

How rooted to Japanese culture is Famicom Detective Club? I mean, I know Ayumi is dressed in a Japanese school girl outfit and all but besides that?

Are localizations still doing this whole 4Kids thing where they censor any Japanese references? I know Ace Attorney was first localized during that time and nowadays Capcom is poking fun at the localizations over it. But are localization companies still doing the whole Jelly filled doughnut thing?

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
How rooted to Japanese culture is Famicom Detective Club? I mean, I know Ayumi is dressed in a Japanese school girl outfit and all but besides that?

Are localizations still doing this whole 4Kids thing where they censor any Japanese references? I know Ace Attorney was first localized during that time and nowadays Capcom is poking fun at the localizations over it. But are localization companies still doing the whole Jelly filled doughnut thing?
Most translations don't do that, but Ace Attorney (and Professor Layton) are special cases - it's not necessarily in AA's case a censorship thing but rather an intentional choice to ensure the series would retain the same satirical spirit in America by localizing it appropriately.

A lot of translations nowadays have a mix of localization and translation, though they stick closer to the source text. The Zero Escape series and Danganronpa series (especially V3) are two great examples of series' that keep a lot of the original Japanese roots and names while updating references and tone for a Western audience.

But then, I'd defend how they did Ace Attorney to the death - there's almost no way it would've become the memorable success it did if they hadn't taken the liberties they had.

As for FDC, it takes place in Japan, obviously, and the second game particularly takes place in a Japanese high school, so there are some cultural differences there but nothing more extreme than you'd see in any other anime or piece of Japanese media. If you like mysteries, the Super Famicom port of The Girl In The Back has an excellent English patch by Clyde Mandelin/Tomato, the same guy who did Mother 3's translation. There's nothing stopping it from being localized in this era of Persona and Tokyo Mirage Sessions, to be honest.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Most translations don't do that, but Ace Attorney (and Professor Layton) are special cases - it's not necessarily in AA's case a censorship thing but rather an intentional choice to ensure the series would retain the same satirical spirit in America by localizing it appropriately.

A lot of translations nowadays have a mix of localization and translation, though they stick closer to the source text. The Zero Escape series and Danganronpa series (especially V3) are two great examples of series' that keep a lot of the original Japanese roots and names while updating references and tone for a Western audience.

But then, I'd defend how they did Ace Attorney to the death - there's almost no way it would've become the memorable success it did if they hadn't taken the liberties they had.

As for FDC, it takes place in Japan, obviously, and the second game particularly takes place in a Japanese high school, so there are some cultural differences there but nothing more extreme than you'd see in any other anime or piece of Japanese media. If you like mysteries, the Super Famicom port of The Girl In The Back has an excellent English patch by Clyde Mandelin/Tomato, the same guy who did Mother 3's translation. There's nothing stopping it from being localized in this era of Persona and Tokyo Mirage Sessions, to be honest.
Perhaps censor wasn't the right word to use...

But yeah, if that's all then it should be fine as far as localization goes. Its just ensuring that Nintendo agree's that its worth the localization cost to bring it overseas.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So how many spirits and songs would you guys suspect the Layton series getting? Aside from Layton's fighter spirit.

For reference
Persona has 11 spirits on the board and 2 fighter spirits, so 13 in total
Dragon Quest has 7 Spirits on the board, 4 fighter spirits, 2 upgradeable spirits, 1 event spirit and 14 spirits in total
Banjo has seven spirits on the board, 1 upgradeable spirit and 9 spirits in total.

I suppose if Layton where to be in, there would at least be spirits for Luke, Flora, Emmy, Katrielle, Don Paolo, Descole and Chelmey to cover most of the important characters, Flora, Descole and maybe Luke might have potential for upgradeable spirits due to alter ego's/time skips.
And I think that would probably cover the bare minimum with about 10/11 spirits in total. If I could add three more it would probably be Alfendi, Grosky and Stachenscarfen/Granny Riddleton.

Music wise, I hope they can get as many tunes as possible, but I suppose the max for DLC characters is probably 11 which would probably help cover most of the series, maybe.

What do you think?

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
So how many spirits and songs would you guys suspect the Layton series getting? Aside from Layton's fighter spirit.

For reference
Dragon Quest has 7 Spirits on the board, 4 fighter spirits, 2 upgradeable spirits, 1 event spirit and 14 spirits in total
Banjo has seven spirits on the board, 1 upgradeable spirit and 9 spirits in total.

I suppose if Layton where to be in, there would at least be spirits for Luke, Flora, Emmy, Katrielle, Don Paolo, Descole and Chelmey to cover most of the important characters, Flora, Descole and maybe Luke might have potential for upgradeable spirits due to alter ego's/time skips.
And I think that would probably cover the bare minimum with about 10/11 spirits in total. If I could add three more it would probably be Alfendi, Grosky and Stachenscarfen/Granny Riddleton.

Music wise, I hope they can get as many tunes as possible, but I suppose the max for DLC characters is probably 11 which would probably help cover most of the series, maybe.

What do you think?
I'd love to have some upgradable spirits but most of them would probably be spoiler ridden which I really hope they avoid. I'm hoping Level-5 will be easy to work with allowing a good amount of remixes, original songs, and spirits if they ever want to put Layton in.

I also hope they could also include some Mii fighter costumes, Descole would be great for Mii Swordfighter and Emmy for Mii Brawler.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'd love to have some upgradable spirits but most of them would probably be spoiler ridden which I really hope they avoid. I'm hoping Level-5 will be easy to work with allowing a good amount of remixes, original songs, and spirits if they ever want to put Layton in.

I also hope they could also include some Mii fighter costumes, Descole would be great for Mii Swordfighter and Emmy for Mii Brawler.
Yeah though its Sakurai, so he most likely will spoil some of the games, hence why I said that Flora and Descole are probably prime candidates for upgradeable spirits, even if it would be spoilers for Curious Village and Azran Legacy. Though being fair, its not like their alternate looks weren't super obvious and predictable or anything to begin with but still....

I hope they would get a good amount of mii costumes for sure. Luke, Emmy, Descole and Katrielle would most likely get mii costumes for sure. I'd love to see Alfendi and Flora get one too, especially if she's a swordfighter with a sword shaped like the Tower of St. Mystere.

But oh well, so long as most characters get to make cameo appearances on his stage and Final Smash, that would be amazing.

Anyway, I talked about reaching out to more Layton fans earlier. I think this poll is a good starting point.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

We should probably share this poll over Tumblr and Twitter since that's where most Layton fans hang out. The Professor Layton Reddit page and Discord group is also a good place to go, maybe Team Top Hat would like to lend a hand as well. They are encouraging us to share this poll around and it ends on the 5th of October if I'm not mistaken so we should start as soon as possible.

Please share this with as many Layton fans as you can.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

For reference

What do you think?
ill just take what i get to be honest

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If Nintendo is really the one deciding all the DLC then perhaps hopefully this may mean good things for Layton.

Level-5 has been a close partner with Nintendo and their handheld systems for years now and if their referring to the ballot, then no doubt the Prof did pretty well there back when he was at his peak.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Matthjass

Smash Cadet
NNID
MathsJass
3DS FC
0602-7469-3826
Switch FC
SW 8578 0545 0012
Thanks for sharing this Twitter Ballot, I just voted for the Professor. I'll post it on the french forum where I am, too.

Honestly I feel like Layton has really good chances to be the 5th DLC. It may depend on what we will get for Layton at TGS / Vision Conference, but imo the last direct showed a lot of arguments in his favor : the color theory, the new worlds Sakurai wants to put in Smash, the fact that Level-5 is one of the only big japanese studios without content in Smash... Etc.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to see what Sakurai will say in these columns about the DLCs !

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Here's a bit more about what the columns are saying.

They want to push for more collaborations.

Guys I think this may be it, I think Level-5 could very well be getting a character in there if they really want to be getting more third party companies on board.

I don't want to raise my expectations too high but still.... Lets wait for the full collumn...

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Honestly, I think Layton stands more of a chance outside the pass. If Mr. H and Milk-Bosatsu's info ends up being accurate, he may not be the next one.

Still though, good to know that Nintendo's selection applies even beyond the FP. What I want to know is whether first parties will be included as a buffer period, while Nintendo works out its negotiations with the third parties for more guests.

Edit: Okay, so it's vaguesville again.

https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1171803208764686336
https://twitter.com/nokoloc/status/1171815442614247424

Last edited:

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Layton will be #5 but if he was I would EXPLODE no matter what lol
Now that there are more dlc fighters coming I just hope Layton doesn't get hate if he's the 5th one :-/

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Honestly, I think Layton stands more of a chance outside the pass. If Mr. H and Milk-Bosatsu's info ends up being accurate, he may not be the next one.

Still though, good to know that Nintendo's selection applies even beyond the FP. What I want to know is whether first parties will be included as a buffer period, while Nintendo works out its negotiations with the third parties for more guests.

Edit: Okay, so it's vaguesville again.

https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1171803208764686336
https://twitter.com/nokoloc/status/1171815442614247424
Dear lord is he actually trying to go beyond 100 characters or something?

Sakurai, bro, I was only joking with the whole "Masahiro Madman Sakurai" thing...

Well if anything, I think there is a good chance that all 16 current dummy slots will be filled up, I think they where added during the February update so probably should have seen it coming, whether he will add more, or can add more, who knows. Lets just hope we can get the Prof in there asap

I don't think Layton will be #5 but if he was I would EXPLODE no matter what lol
Now that there are more dlc fighters coming I just hope Layton doesn't get hate if he's the 5th one :-/
Same, the sooner we get him the better.
I think he will mostly be shrugged off at worst, just like Terry, either that or the Layton fandom will take their part in the "Hoes Mad" meme, I think one fan even prepared a "Professor Layton and the Mad Hoes" fan logo just in case...

Top Bottom