• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
An interesting moveset, glad I’m not the only one who thinks the ! would make a good up smash. Think the up special is a little overly complicated and the final smash lasts a little long
I'd imagine the up special would basically be much like Pac Man's but being able to angle it with the parrot drawing the line out. Probably being able to reuse it afterwards. Maybe the longer you hold the button, the longer the line becomes. May also be useful to bounce back recovering opponents.

The Final Smash is fine as I had the same idea, just have it be a bit more faster paced should do the trick.

The down smash blew me away :o I can't believe I didn't think about that :D
I really like this person's moveset concept, he even had the same idea as me with the magnifying glass :)
The magnifying glass is definitely an interesting idea, I kept thinking of something like the rapid jab or Rosalina's down special but being able to control it for a bit sounds good too, you might be able to effect items a short distance from you too.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'd imagine the up special would basically be much like Pac Man's but being able to angle it with the parrot drawing the line out. Probably being able to reuse it afterwards. Maybe the longer you hold the button, the longer the line becomes. May also be useful to bounce back recovering opponents.

The Final Smash is fine as I had the same idea, just have it be a bit more faster paced should do the trick.
i think we all had that idea for the final smash, it would have to be faster pace as after all that is what sakurai said he wanted this time around, hence us losing all the transforming ones

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
i think we all had that idea for the final smash, it would have to be faster pace as after all that is what sakurai said he wanted this time around, hence us losing all the transforming ones
Yeah pretty much, just a simple "The culprit, is you!" as it pans out to view the whole group would work out just fine. Quick and simple.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
By the way, now that we reached page 40, we are now 20 pages away from surpassing the last Layton support thread's page count during the Smash 4 days (Which ended at 59).
I'm glad to see the thread has grown and interested you all for so long. I'll see if I can find some other interesting things we can discuss moving forward.

I'll probably have to create a Discord group or something when the time comes to close the threads again as it would probably be quite a while longer before the next Smash comes along... But I'll think about that when the time comes closer and the final fighter has been revealed I suppose.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
By the way, now that we reached page 40, we are now 20 pages away from surpassing the last Layton support thread's page count during the Smash 4 days (Which ended at 59).
I'm glad to see the thread has grown and interested you all for so long. I'll see if I can find some other interesting things we can discuss moving forward.

I'll probably have to create a Discord group or something when the time comes to close the threads again as it would probably be quite a while longer before the next Smash comes along... But I'll think about that when the time comes closer and the final fighter has been revealed I suppose.
well lets get pushing on those page numbers, lets see topics ideas, well seeing an old article about layton crossover ideas lets hear some of everyone's, crossovers youd love to see layton in out side of plvaa or smash (i love crossovers)

well im on discord now, for some reason, so ill keep an eye out

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
well lets get pushing on those page numbers, lets see topics ideas, well seeing an old article about layton crossover ideas lets hear some of everyone's, crossovers youd love to see layton in out side of plvaa or smash (i love crossovers)

well im on discord now, for some reason, so ill keep an eye out
I always wanted to see Layton cross over with the Earthbound series for some reason, I always thought it would be a good fit, though I suppose London Life might be the closest thing to a Layton meets Earthbound crossover, at least in terms of art style.

I think another interesting one would probably be Layton crossing over with Dragon Quest, or any JRPG I guess, Imagine a Layton themed JRPG adventure, how would that work out?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I always wanted to see Layton cross over with the Earthbound series for some reason, I always thought it would be a good fit, though I suppose London Life might be the closest thing to a Layton meets Earthbound crossover, at least in terms of art style.

I think another interesting one would probably be Layton crossing over with Dragon Quest, or any JRPG I guess, Imagine a Layton themed JRPG adventure, how would that work out?
it would be bizarre but also awesome

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
it would be bizarre but also awesome
I mean, it worked for Mario. Perhaps a turn based RPG game that focuses a lot on puzzles and problem solving.
Layton would have the fencing ability as well as the ability to build various contraptions such as the slot machine gun. Luke would be able to summon all sorts of animals that can help and fight along with him. Flora would use a Frying Pan and her cooking could deal various status ailments towards the enemies. And Emmy could use her martial arts ability and camera for close up combat.

Level-5 does have an expertise with JRPG's so a spin off game like this might just be crazy enough to work....

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah I think that's pretty much the thing, they do tend to get vocal for the Prof whenever something comes up in regards to him such as the ONM crossover misunderstanding and the Christopher Miller incident, though beyond that, the Layton fandom tends to be a bit more quiet when it comes to their desire to see the Prof.

Though being fair, I can hardly fault them for that as that's kind of a typical cycle for many characters, if there are no rumours, interviews, Sakurai not acknowledging your series (being in game or in interviews) or a new game coming up, a lot of characters tend to struggle to gather support unless their fans remained persistent for many many years.

That was kind of brought up in the character discussion thread yesterday and its an unfortunate circumstance for many characters, at that point you might as well have to hope that Sakurai or rumour goers happen to be on your side...
It is kind of insane how much rumors can change the hype for a character, now that you mention it. Skull Kid especially has had a giant boost of popularity via the powers of rumors... Obviously they can't make any character an instant-most-wanted-character (see the decades of debate the concept of a DQ hero got prior to their reveal), but we definitely could use a Layton boost right now.

I do recall the ONM moment! You still find articles about it when googling Layton and Smash. It's almost like a prelude to the current over-the-top state of Smash speculation (ex/ Chair Theory).

Ooo, interesting question... I think I may go for Story of Seasons? It'd be really weird, but London Life kind of reflected how a life sim with the Layton cast could go. It'd also be interesting to see a game that leans more on the world-building with puzzles coming up as a secondary thing...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Ooo, interesting question... I think I may go for Story of Seasons? It'd be really weird, but London Life kind of reflected how a life sim with the Layton cast could go. It'd also be interesting to see a game that leans more on the world-building with puzzles coming up as a secondary thing...
im unfamiliar with story of seasons, but a life sim with the layton gang sounds interesting

I mean, it worked for Mario. Perhaps a turn based RPG game that focuses a lot on puzzles and problem solving.
Layton would have the fencing ability as well as the ability to build various contraptions such as the slot machine gun. Luke would be able to summon all sorts of animals that can help and fight along with him. Flora would use a Frying Pan and her cooking could deal various status ailments towards the enemies. And Emmy could use her martial arts ability and camera for close up combat.

Level-5 does have an expertise with JRPG's so a spin off game like this might just be crazy enough to work....
yes it is

Last edited:

Korar

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5170-5706-7228
Hey, just thought i would drop by and say i would love to see layton in smash.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Hey, just thought i would drop by and say i would love to see layton in smash.
Hey I'm happy to hear that, I've added you to the supporters list, welcome on board Korar!

It is kind of insane how much rumors can change the hype for a character, now that you mention it. Skull Kid especially has had a giant boost of popularity via the powers of rumors... Obviously they can't make any character an instant-most-wanted-character (see the decades of debate the concept of a DQ hero got prior to their reveal), but we definitely could use a Layton boost right now.

I do recall the ONM moment! You still find articles about it when googling Layton and Smash. It's almost like a prelude to the current over-the-top state of Smash speculation (ex/ Chair Theory).

Yeah Rumours can really change the tides and perceptions for certain characters. I've seen some Simon supporters talking about how their character was overshadowed for so long until Vergeben brought him up for the first time.

Of course there are others that might be a tad more controversial whenever they are rumoured such as Hero, but I think even then it would help get people used to the idea of seeing a character they are unfamiliar with potentially making it in and look more into the character and what they could potentially bring into the game. Some might then get on board on the idea whereas others might still remain skeptical until then. But I suppose that's just how things roll.

Yeah probably. Now that we're talking about it, I wonder if there are any other fake rumour goers out there who may have decided to bring Layton on the forefront anyway this game. I know about the Molentary express one a while back with silhouettes of other Layton characters and the tunnel and whatnot.

I wonder if any others may have surfaced throughout this game's cycle. Their more than likely fake, but still fun to read through and see what new idea's they bring up at least.

Perhaps a more expanded version of London Life might be interesting to see. The game was essentially meant to be a Layton themed demo of Fantasy Life, but seeing a fully expanded version of that game might be interesting to see. Hopefully it would make it into Europe this time though...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah probably. Now that we're talking about it, I wonder if there are any other fake rumour goers out there who may have decided to bring Layton on the forefront anyway this game. I know about the Molentary express one a while back with silhouettes of other Layton characters and the tunnel and whatnot.
well ive got the image of toon link driving the molentary express in my head now, thatll keep me in a good mood for a bit

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah Rumours can really change the tides and perceptions for certain characters. I've seen some Simon supporters talking about how their character was overshadowed for so long until Vergeben brought him up for the first time.

Of course there are others that might be a tad more controversial whenever they are rumoured such as Hero, but I think even then it would help get people used to the idea of seeing a character they are unfamiliar with potentially making it in and look more into the character and what they could potentially bring into the game. Some might then get on board on the idea whereas others might still remain skeptical until then. But I suppose that's just how things roll.

I wonder if any others may have surfaced throughout this game's cycle. Their more than likely fake, but still fun to read through and see what new idea's they bring up at least.
Smash speculation is very interesting in how random and luck-based it can be for sure... I agree, had Vergeben not leaked it, I think Simon would still have been seen as the second most likely Konami representative to Bomberman.

Hero definitely avoided a saltstorm in the west due to being normalized by leaks and then Banjo being announced right after... I hadn't heard of that Layton "leak," but I do recall he came up in some of the random anonymous leaks when tehponycorn was keeping track of during the build-up towards base game....

Geno, King K Rool, and Chibi Robo are in due to them being both popular on the ballot and possible to implement. The Chorus Kids are in because they were now possible to implement because no limitations are standing in the team's way. For some odd reason, Sceptile was selected instead of Pokemon like Decidueye and Lycanroc. An Arms character is in. Banjo-Kazooie, Shovel Knight, and Simon Belmont were added thanks to popularity and third party support.Jibanyan was added because of popularity in Japan and great moveset potential. Prof. Layton was going to be in Jibanyan's slot but had to be swapped with the cat due to moveset difficulties.

Take what you will. Have a friend at Namco who’s been helping out with Smash. As you know Nintendo gave Sakurai a list of characters to choose from, but what was on it has been unknown for some time, resulting in a lot of red herrings for insiders. Friend claims to have knowledge of the names on the list, which is roughly 40. He’s not sure who’s in but all were considered, so here goes:

>Joker (starting since he’s already in)
>Amaterasu
>Arthur
>Bandana Waddle Dee
>Banjo
>Bill Rizer
>Byleth
>Captain Toad
>Chun-Li
>Crash
>Crono
>Doom Slayer
>Erdrick
>Ezio
>Flynn (SMTIV)
>Heihachi
>Jibanyan
>Lana
>Lara Croft
>Leon S. Kennedy
>Linkle
>Lloyd
>Lora (Torna)
>Luminary
>Monster Hunter
>Phoenix Wright
>Porky
>Professor Layton
>Rayman
>Rex
>Ryu Hayabusa
>Sephiroth
>Shantae
>Sora
>Spyro
>Steve
>Terra (FFVI)
>Terry Bogard
>Quote
>Yu
>Yuri (Tales of Vesperia)

Weird how low the Nintendo owned character count is extremely low, with no sight of an 8th generation Pokémon either. This is all just hearsay, so choose what you believe.

Lets get over it. Banjo and Kazooie, Terry, Byleth and Professor Layton. (Not in order)

There are plans for more fighter passes but as of right now it's on a thought process and that idea will likely get cancelled.

Another thing, the jane file stands for Ann, the devs are testing out Ann's hair physics for when Joker uses his final smash with all of the phantom thieves members.

I have info about the newcomers in Smash. I also have info about more characters that were scrapped during development.

>Unique Newcomers

Geno: His popularity made him a fighter. Uses moves like Geno Blast, Geno Beam, Geno Whirl, Geno Boost, and Geno Flash is his FS.

Incineroar: I don't need to explain, it's Game Freak's decision.

Isaac: Same reason as Geno. Uses Quake, Gaia, etc. FS is Judgement.

Ayumi Tachibana: Her inclusion in the game was interesting and she was chosen as a new NES rep.

>Scrapped Fighters
Chibi-Robo: Populairty wasn't that large.
Azura: Chrom had more popularity.
Professor Layton: Wasn't as popular as Geno or Isaac.
Bomberman: In favor for Simon.
Krystal: Wolf returned.
Shovel Knight: Same reason as Professor Layton.
Ray MK II: Didn't have much as moveset potential.

>Starts off with Professor Layton reveal
>Focuses on Singleplayer (Name isn't finalized, though logo is similar to subspace)
>Briefly touches the story and some cutscenes
>Goes to online modes and goes into detail about those
>Ken and Shadow echo fighters revealed
>"End"
>Banjo reveal

Believe it, don't believe it. I don't give a **** - but that's whats in the October Smash Direct.

I didn't search super hard, but those are all the ones I found that had Layton in them that were on 4chan after Smash's E3 debrief. You may notice 2 of them had Layton be mentioned as having explicitly been scrapped. Oi.

I suppose the other big thing that can boost a character is their popularity among SmashTubers. TheJWittz did put him as spot 10 on his old most-wanted list, but ended that segment by directly saying he could just be a Mii costume. Billybo10k did also rate Layton highly for a while, but he's also recently moved him down in favour of Wright. Layton is overall pretty common as people's 9th or 10th choice in top 10 lists, but he doesn't have, say, a major YouTuber named PapaLayton to instantly boost his recongizability.

Perhaps a more expanded version of London Life might be interesting to see. The game was essentially meant to be a Layton themed demo of Fantasy Life, but seeing a fully expanded version of that game might be interesting to see. Hopefully it would make it into Europe this time though...
That would be great for sure, in my opinion at least. I think Layton works well as a life sim. I do wonder who you would play as though...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
amageish amageish
Yeah I suppose it would have been between Simon and Bomberman, I think Bomberman would have probably still been the more talked about character though, mainly due him getting a game out on Switch at the time. Though if I recall correctly, both Bomberman and Snake where revealed in the same Direct so most eyes would have been on Simon eitherway as far as the next potential Konami character went.

Well I guess its nice that some "leakers" where nice enough to include the Prof into their "leaks" but yeah, those definitely sound fake.

Yeah I suppose if their being pushed by large Youtubers can help out too. There was Scot the Woz as well who supported Layton in one of his recent video's but he had to backfire it with his silly veteran cuts roster list to the point that some people view it as "replace Magaman and Pac Man for Layton" logic now....

Apparently Zero supports Layton too although he doesn't talk much about him since he's focusing more on Sora.

The struggle is real...

I suppose they would probably have you play as an avatar again like they did in the original London Life. I suppose that might work out fine. The series has a lot of colourful and zany looking characters, especially with the npc's that an expanded life sim could work out pretty well too.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah I suppose it would have been between Simon and Bomberman, I think Bomberman would have probably still been the more talked about character though, mainly due him getting a game out on Switch at the time. Though if I recall correctly, both Bomberman and Snake where revealed in the same Direct so most eyes would have been on Simon eitherway as far as the next potential Konami character went.
Riiiiiight. Yeah, the AT news definitely made Simon seem super likely right away...

Well I guess its nice that some "leakers" where nice enough to include the Prof into their "leaks" but yeah, those definitely sound fake.
Super fake. Maybe I should have made a fake leak, as I would have definitely included both Joker and Layton due to my personal biases and any "leaks" with Joker instantly got internet attention after his reveal.

(Seriously, I do not understand how my objectively-unlikely weird most-wanted characters keep getting into Smash before Layton, the character I have consistently wanted since Brawl.)

]Yeah I suppose if their being pushed by large Youtubers can help out too. There was Scot the Woz as well who supported Layton in one of his recent video's but he had to backfire it with his silly veteran cuts roster list to the point that some people view it as "replace Magaman and Pac Man for Layton" logic now....
I haven't seen that video, but that does sound like a serious backfire... Interesting to know Zero is a Layton fan - he has a good variety of taste then.

I suppose they would probably have you play as an avatar again like they did in the original London Life. I suppose that might work out fine. The series has a lot of colourful and zany looking characters, especially with the npc's that an expanded life sim could work out pretty well too.
That is definitely true. Having a self-insert could also play straight man to the comical zaniness of the Layton world, as I imagine a life sim spin-off would probably lean into the silliness a bit more.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Riiiiiight. Yeah, the AT news definitely made Simon seem super likely right away...

Super fake. Maybe I should have made a fake leak, as I would have definitely included both Joker and Layton due to my personal biases and any "leaks" with Joker instantly got internet attention after his reveal.

(Seriously, I do not understand how my objectively-unlikely weird most-wanted characters keep getting into Smash before Layton, the character I have consistently wanted since Brawl.)

I haven't seen that video, but that does sound like a serious backfire... Interesting to know Zero is a Layton fan - he has a good variety of taste then.

That is definitely true. Having a self-insert could also play straight man to the comical zaniness of the Layton world, as I imagine a life sim spin-off would probably lean into the silliness a bit more.
The European Starling is totally Layton because Layton is most popular in Europe and a fairly young franchise, the Prof himself hails from the Europe, thus the Prof is a European star, a European starling if you will.

Now what does Layton have to do with birds? Well the Yokai Professor Plumage from Yokai Watch is based off Layton and it is a bird as well sooo.....

Professor_Plumage_Art.png

Let me dream darn it!

Pretty much yes, I think Zero also wanted Phoenix Wright but yeah.

Yeah I think that's pretty much how it would boil down. I wish Level-5 released the other spin off Layton games they released on IOS in Japan, although apparently they have taken most of them down unfortunately.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
The European Starling is totally Layton because Layton is most popular in Europe and a fairly young franchise, the Prof himself hails from the Europe, thus the Prof is a European star, a European starling if you will.

Now what does Layton have to do with birds? Well the Yokai Professor Plumage from Yokai Watch is based off Layton and it is a bird as well sooo.....

Let me dream darn it!.
Uhhhhhh. Sure buddy. Sure. I do love that Yokai though!

Yeah I think that's pretty much how it would boil down. I wish Level-5 released the other spin off Layton games they released on IOS in Japan, although apparently they have taken most of them down unfortunately.
That would have been very nice, yes. Also, like, did Layton 7... happen? ever? I know it went from cute-ish town sim to "Mafia, but Layton-themed"... Did it ever, like, release? Or is it dead?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Uhhhhhh. Sure buddy. Sure. I do love that Yokai though!

That would have been very nice, yes. Also, like, did Layton 7... happen? ever? I know it went from cute-ish town sim to "Mafia, but Layton-themed"... Did it ever, like, release? Or is it dead?
Its probably dead after the backlash it got when it was first revealed.
Its probably the same reason why we had to wait so long until Level-5 finally acknowledged Layton Brothers Mystery Room again....

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Its probably dead after the backlash it got when it was first revealed.
Its probably the same reason why we had to wait so long until Level-5 acknowledged Layton Brothers Mystery Room again....
That would make sense. RIP. I remember being kind of excited about it, in-between my confusion about why it was happening instead of a 7th Layton game.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
That would make sense. RIP. I remember being kind of excited about it, in-between my confusion about why it was happening instead of a 7th Layton game.
When it was first revealed it looked very weird and hardly anything like a typical Layton game or even spin off. It felt more like another Mystery Room where they tried to make a new IP but put it under the Layton umbrella for the sake of franchise recognizability since Layton became a pretty big and recognizable name for Level-5 since then. The newer version of that game they showed off sometime later looked a bit better but then it went completely silent years after.

The fact it was called Layton seven after being announced from Azran Legacy (the sixth mainline entry) probably didn't help much in terms of confusion of whether it was a new mainline entry or just a spin off since it had 7 characters featured up front. That and Hino stating beforehand that the next entry would have a new main protagonist and take a different direction.

So yeah, it was a bit of a mess and pretty safe to assume it's probably cancelled since then.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
When it was first revealed it looked very weird and hardly anything like a typical Layton game or even spin off. It felt more like another Mystery Room where they tried to make a new IP but put it under the Layton umbrella for the sake of franchise recognizability since Layton became a pretty big and recognizable name for Level-5 since then. The newer version of that game they showed off sometime later looked a bit better but then it went completely silent years after.

The fact it was called Layton seven after being announced from Azran Legacy (the sixth mainline entry) probably didn't help much in terms of confusion of whether it was a new mainline entry or just a spin off since it had 7 characters featured up front. That and Hino stating beforehand that the next entry would have a new main protagonist and take a different direction.

So yeah, it was a bit of a mess and pretty safe to assume it's probably cancelled since then.
Yeah, the name was purposefully misleading and chaos-causing at best... I did like the clay artstyle though, even if I still don't really get what the gameplay was supposed to be (of the original mobile town game; the Mafia clone looked understandable).

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah they weren't very clear about it either. From what I recalled, it had these seven characters walking around some town or something without a real direction given to what was going on.

It might have been better off if it was its own standalone game, or if they had revealed the other version instead and made it clear that it was just a spin off game.

Speaking of Layton games, I really hope they reveal the next mainline entry in this upcoming Tokyo Game Show. I really want to see where the franchise is heading next and speculate more about the next entry. Level-5's been quiet for quite a while now in regards to their upcoming projects. I hope things are going well for them...

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone :)
Just passed here to say that I have officially gone back through every "main" Professor Layton game from Curious Village to Professor Layton Vs Phoenix Wright and finished them 100% (minus puzzles of the day because there are way too much xD) plus Eternal Diva :D
Back in May of this year I gave myself the condition that I had to beat every single entry in the Layton series 100% again in order to justify Layton's now "absolutely unavoidable" addition to Super Smash Bros Ultimate as DLC.......yeah I know, it's kind of just an excuse for me wanting to play the games again, but STILL
I also gave myself the limit that Layton would HAVE to be fighter #4 in the Fighters Pass, and thus should finish the games before October at most, in preparation for the next general Nintendo Direct, and I kinda succeeded....
HOWEVER, I need your advices : should I continue and play Lady Layton on the 3DS (that I already own), or just wait for the Deluxe version coming out on the Switch in November? Should I consider Lady Layton to be an "absolute MUST play" in order to fulfill my goal? And, in the same way, should I consider Layton Brothers the same? (note that I've currently NEVER played the Layton Brothers, it is genuinely the only part of the fandom where I'm an outsider...)
Other than that, it was an AMAZING journey going back in each game, just remembering how GREAT THEY ARE, and understanding why I fell in love with this series so much in the first place.
No matter the case, I'm now SUPER confident our archeologist will find his way into Smash Ultimate as the next newcomer, and I cannot wait for Layton's upcoming adventures :)
.......and now I play the waiting game :-/ September cannot come SOON ENOUGH :D

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Hey everyone :)
Just passed here to say that I have officially gone back through every "main" Professor Layton game from Curious Village to Professor Layton Vs Phoenix Wright and finished them 100% (minus puzzles of the day because there are way too much xD) plus Eternal Diva :D
Back in May of this year I gave myself the condition that I had to beat every single entry in the Layton series 100% again in order to justify Layton's now "absolutely unavoidable" addition to Super Smash Bros Ultimate as DLC.......yeah I know, it's kind of just an excuse for me wanting to play the games again, but STILL
I also gave myself the limit that Layton would HAVE to be fighter #4 in the Fighters Pass, and thus should finish the games before October at most, in preparation for the next general Nintendo Direct, and I kinda succeeded....
HOWEVER, I need your advices : should I continue and play Lady Layton on the 3DS (that I already own), or just wait for the Deluxe version coming out on the Switch in November? Should I consider Lady Layton to be an "absolute MUST play" in order to fulfill my goal? And, in the same way, should I consider Layton Brothers the same? (note that I've currently NEVER played the Layton Brothers, it is genuinely the only part of the fandom where I'm an outsider...)
Other than that, it was an AMAZING journey going back in each game, just remembering how GREAT THEY ARE, and understanding why I fell in love with this series so much in the first place.
No matter the case, I'm now SUPER confident our archeologist will find his way into Smash Ultimate as the next newcomer, and I cannot wait for Layton's upcoming adventures :)
.......and now I play the waiting game :-/ September cannot come SOON ENOUGH :D
I'm happy to hear your optimism. I don't know why, but I kinda feel like fighter #4 might just be the one that would be the prof if he was in, a lot of things kind of align pretty well for him to be revealed in the upcoming Direct but I suppose it remains to be seen. Here's hoping for the best.

You could wait for the Deluxe port if you want, but if you already played it before, I don't know if there will be much in that game to justify repurchasing the game again for, unless you want the extra costumes and puzzles that will be included in the Deluxe port. Its up to you.

I'd say definitely go for it with Layton Brothers, Alfendi might be set up to become relevant again in the series so it might be good to get aquainted with him and his first game in the meantime. Same for me, I should get back to playing that game when I get the free time.

Last edited:

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
I'm happy to hear your optimism. I don't know why, but I kinda feel like fighter #4 might just be the one that would be the prof if he was in, a lot of things kind of align pretty well for him to be revealed in the upcoming Direct but I suppose it remains to be seen. Here's hoping for the best.

You could wait for the Deluxe port if you want, but if you already played it before, I don't know if there will be much in that game to justify repurchasing the game again for, unless you want the extra costumes and puzzles that will be included in the Deluxe port. Its up to you.

I'd say definitely go for it with Layton Brothers, Alfendi might be set up to become relevant again in the series so it might be good to get aquainted with him and his first game in the meantime. Same for me, I should get back to playing that game when I get the free time.
Thanks ^^
The thing is I didn't finish Lady Layton on the 3DS, I did like....4 cases or something like that, last time I played was way back last year :-/
Honestly I might wait for the Deluxe version considering there's more content to be found here, but I might still keep my 3DS copy for collection purposes...
As for Layton Brothers, I shall play it as soon as possible, but I gotta p

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman

Thanks ^^
The thing is I didn't finish Lady Layton on the 3DS, I did like....4 cases or something like that, last time I played was way back last year :-/
Honestly I might wait for the Deluxe version considering there's more content to be found here, but I might still keep my 3DS copy for collection purposes...
As for Layton Brothers, I shall play it as soon as possible, but I gotta pay for it first :-/

Edit : sorry for double post :(

Last edited:

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Also, just having finished Professor Layton Vs Phoenix Wright today makes me want BOTH in Smash SOOO MUCH :')
It's unfortunate to think that in terms of Capcom reps, Phoenix Wright might get beaten to the pulp by someone from Resident Evil or Dante instead :-/

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I guess it depends on how they will go about it, Phoenix does seem to beat out most other Capcom characters in terms of demand so it will probably depend more on if Sakurai is willing to answer that demand or go for a more high profile Capcom series instead I suppose.

Seeing them both would be a dream come true though.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
We just don't know. :ultmegaman: took priority over :ultryu: due to high fan demand (and that was during a time that any regular version of Mega Man got the shaft from anything after TvC). What's most high-profile =/= what's necessarily what fans ask more of first.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
We just don't know. :ultmegaman: took priority over :ultryu: due to high fan demand (and that was during a time that any regular version of Mega Man got the shaft from anything after TvC). What's most high-profile =/= what's necessarily what fans ask more of first.
Yeah pretty much, otherwise we would have also gotten Steve or Master Chief over Banjo too. Sometimes fan demand trumps over general fame.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
God I want Phoenix and Layton as a dual reveal SO badly. I know I've said that about a hundred times by now but I want it so badly.

amageish

Smash Master
Layton and Wright getting revealed together somehow both makes perfect sense and makes no sense.

It would be recognizing two franchises immensely popular characters with similar fandoms, a la how K Rool appeared in Banjo's trailer, but it would also mean that they just announced two characters who share the exact same fans (I mean, obviously some Wright fans aren't Layton fans and vice versa, but in general the overlap is huge). I imagine that would generate a lot of salt if a duo reveal was happening for something like the fighter's pass where we know the number of available slots are filling up.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Was this not the same issue of ONM where Professor Layton "crosses over" with Resident Evil, exposing the zombies as drunk undergrad students, and Kyle Hyde beats Batman in a fistfight in a showdown of the greatest video game detectives? (a feature celebrating PL vs PW)

I can understand if some people got hype at a nod to Layton in Smash and it just escalated from there though, as rumours tend to do. Going from "Official Nintendo Magazine did this funny piece about Layton meeting Smash Bros" to "Official Nintendo Magazine wrote about Layton in Smash Bros" to "Official Nintendo Magazine confirmed Layton in Smash Bros" - that "Official" title (was it actually official though? lol) probably gave someone the wrong idea somewhere down the line.

In other news, I feel like we're running out of fan-favourite 80s and 90s characters now haha. Ryu Hayabusa, Crash and Rayman? We're getting closer to Layton and DS characters just by sheer process of elimination.
First time I'm hearing about Layton hunting zombies with the RE crew or Kyle Hyde punching Batman.

I need more of that.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Layton and Wright getting revealed together somehow both makes perfect sense and makes no sense.

It would be recognizing two franchises immensely popular characters with similar fandoms, a la how K Rool appeared in Banjo's trailer, but it would also mean that they just announced two characters who share the exact same fans (I mean, obviously some Wright fans aren't Layton fans and vice versa, but in general the overlap is huge). I imagine that would generate a lot of salt if a duo reveal was happening for something like the fighter's pass where we know the number of available slots are filling up.
People will most likely get salty no matter who the final character reveal is. Its partly why I'm hoping that Layton ends up being either fighter #4 if there is only one reveal or gets revealed simultaneously with fighter #5 or better yet, have them announce a second fighters pass right after the final fighter is revealed.

Having him be the final fighter most likely ends up with us having to deal with a lot of salty fans on our hair for who knows how long.
Since most of the Smash fandom's toxicity is usually directed towards whoever the final characters are while forgetting all the other newcomers that came before.

Also I don't know if there is that much of an overlap between Layton and Wright, you could probably also argue the same for other character combinations such as Crash and Banjo being nineties 3D platformer mascots or probably even Joker and Hero being JRPG protagonists and all.

That said, if more audience diversity in a pass is required than I really hope that we do get a second fighters pass in there eventually.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
People will most likely get salty no matter who the final character reveal is. Its partly why I'm hoping that Layton ends up being either fighter #4 if there is only one reveal or gets revealed simultaneously with fighter #5 or better yet, have them announce a second fighters pass right after the final fighter is revealed.

Having him be the final fighter most likely ends up with us having to deal with a lot of salty fans on our hair for who knows how long.
Since most of the Smash fandom's toxicity is usually directed towards whoever the final characters are while forgetting all the other newcomers that came before.
That is true, though there have also been cases like Isabelle where the community is mad at a character who isn’t the final one just... because. I do hope that he would be Fighter 4 as well though, which I also feel might be more likely as it seems the fall is when Nintendo is targeting more casual fans with the Switch Mini and such. A Layton announcement could be a good way to get that demographic to buy the fighters pass as part of their first Switch experience? That my thought at least...

Also I don't know if there is that much of an overlap between Layton and Wright, you could probably also argue the same for other character combinations such as Crash and Banjo being nineties 3D platformer mascots or probably even Joker and Hero being JRPG protagonists and all.

That said, if more audience diversity in a pass is required than I really hope that we do get a second fighters pass in there eventually.
I mean, “exact same” was definitely self-destructive hyperbole on my part, but you can’t deny the two characters are more connected then most Smash requests. As we’ve mentioned before, they are basically holding up an entire genre together. It stands to reason that people who like said genre will enjoy both of the franchises currently producing games for it, nevermind the fact they’ve directly crossed over with each other before. They do have their individual fans as well, but there definitely is overlap and they developers have obviously payed into that shared fan base in their marketing and game directing (note how Mystery Journey doesn’t just borrow the case system from AA, but also the humour of having terrible pun names).

Joker and Hero, meanwhile, share a genre, sure, but also JRPGs are one of the biggest genres out there with Dragon Quest and Persona having opposing design philosophies - one aims to hold up the SNES era of JRPGs, while the other is half visual novel and has so many new features going on you could go for hours of gameplay without any turn-based battling whatsoever. If you like one you may like the other, but it’s not like they’re that similar.

I do think there are other duos that would have similar “problems” for sure (ex/ I don’t see a Crash and Spyro duo-reveal as being a good plan if they want to diversify their bases). They also may not care about trying to get as many people on-board as people, instead wanting to ensure that certain fans are catered to.

I also don’t think a solo Wright or Layton reveal would be bad for Layton or Wright fans, as I bet that one being revealed will just cause a migration of people into supporting the other.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Started playing Layton Brothers today!
And MY OH MY THE MUSIC IS GREAT
It's kind of got an odd gameplay but it's really intuitive
Like a mix of Ace Attorney and Professor Layton :D
I haven't paid the other cases just yet but I'm gonna do it later, it's really cheap :)

Top Bottom