• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
It’s been awhile since I’ve played a Layton game, but I went ahead and bought Mystery Journey on Switch today. I’m almost finished with Links awakening and once in done I’ll dive into more puzzle solving!

amageish

Smash Master
It's basically down to personal preference. Lloyd is great, Tales of Symphonia is great, but for Tales games I prefer Xillia 2 and Berseria overall (and would LOVE Velvet in). Meanwhile I also love the Tekken series and Tekken 7 made me realize how much I love Heihachi as a cool old man villain and how brutal and fun he'd be in Smash. I don't think there's a bad option or anything, just if I had to rate is go Heihachi > Velvet = KOS-MOS > Lloyd > Dark Souls = Agumon
Ahhhhh, that makes sense then. I could see any of those happening as Namco reps, honestly...

It’s been awhile since I’ve played a Layton game, but I went ahead and bought Mystery Journey on Switch today. I’m almost finished with Links awakening and once in done I’ll dive into more puzzle solving!
Have fun! It's a pretty decent title.

Also, NintendoLife is going all-out for Layton with publishing both the results of the Layton game ranking (the results of which should surprise literally nobody) and a spoiler-filled breakdown of the logic behind some of the puzzles. So, it's good to see that LMJ has provoked some Layton discussion, at least amongst UK-based Nintendo news outlets.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Ahhhhh, that makes sense then. I could see any of those happening as Namco reps, honestly...

Have fun! It's a pretty decent title.

Also, NintendoLife is going all-out for Layton with publishing both the results of the Layton game ranking (the results of which should surprise literally nobody) and a spoiler-filled breakdown of the logic behind some of the puzzles. So, it's good to see that LMJ has provoked some Layton discussion, at least amongst UK-based Nintendo news outlets.
I think Nintendolife's description of Curious Village hits the nail right in the head.

It was DS titles like this and Nintendo's Touch Generation series that opened up video gaming to an audience who previously thought it wasn't for them.
Even Shigeru Miyamoto touched upon this and how important the Layton series was for the DS era along with titles like Animal Crossing.
Sure it may not appeal as much to a more "hardcore" gaming audience, it still managed to be a very groundbreaking success during the DS era as it appealed to a whole new audience that gaming just wasn't as able to reach out to prior at the time and the series has managed to stick around ever since and why Nintendo is still supporting it to this day.

Which probably makes it all the more baffling how the DS has largely gone ignored in Smash, to this day we still only have Lucario as its sole playable character. I feel like Layton is a huge part of the puzzle missing from Smash, he is more or less a DS icon and I really hope that he manages to make it in one day...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Which probably makes it all the more baffling how the DS has largely gone ignored in Smash, to this day we still only have Lucario as its sole playable character. I feel like Layton is a huge part of the puzzle missing from Smash, he is more or less a DS icon and I really hope that he manages to make it in one day...
well maybe in terms of characters that debuted on it, but weve had a fair few stages

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
well maybe in terms of characters that debuted on it, but weve had a fair few stages
Hmm I suppose so, though even Smash 3DS didn't really add much for it despite being designed to focus more on handheld gaming. I believe it only got two new stages from DS games there (3 if you count Pictochat 2 I suppose) I think it mostly focused on 3DS games really rather than handheld nintendo games in general.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Hmm I suppose so, though even Smash 3DS didn't really add much for it despite being designed to focus more on handheld gaming. I believe it only got two new stages from DS games there (3 if you count Pictochat 2 I suppose) I think it mostly focused on 3DS games really rather than handheld nintendo games in general.
felt like and odd mix, we got stuff from the snes, the ds the 3ds, and one gb, returning stages covered the ds the nes and what have you

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
felt like and odd mix, we got stuff from the snes, the ds the 3ds, and one gb, returning stages covered the ds the nes and what have you
It was quite odd that we got some SNES stages with F-Zero and Earthbound there wasn't it?
Although I suppose you could probably count Magicant as representing the Earthbound and Earthbound beginnings bundle game that was released on GBA in Japan. Since Magicant had elements that referenced both Earthbound and Earthbound Beginnings...

Speaking of Magicant, I always thought one cute feature they could add for Layton's stage being a memory screen similar to what that stage does. Where it could occasionally show a short snippet of some of the animated cutscenes throughout the series history. Might be a neat little thing they could add maybe...?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It was quite odd that we got some SNES stages with F-Zero and Earthbound there wasn't it?
Although I suppose you could probably count Magicant as representing the Earthbound and Earthbound beginnings bundle game that was released on GBA in Japan. Since Magicant had elements that referenced both Earthbound and Earthbound Beginnings...

Speaking of Magicant, I always thought one cute feature they could add for Layton's stage being a memory screen similar to what that stage does. Where it could occasionally show a short snippet of some of the animated cutscenes throughout the series history. Might be a neat little thing they could add maybe...?
i think thats true of a number of the stages on smash 3ds, there were hardly any that werent based on a game that had appeared on a hand held, a handy loop hole for the team i guess

that would be a very nice touch snippets of the cut scenes here and there, though it may end up as a series of shots of layton pointing

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
that would be a very nice touch snippets of the cut scenes here and there, though it may end up as a series of shots of layton pointing
Come now, there are definitely a lot of notable and iconic scenes they can use that doesn't involve him pointing at someone, such as the scene where he uses the slot machine gun or the ferris wheel scene etc.

So after the whole duo thing came up yesterday with some Smash Ultimate modder, how would you all imagine Layton & Luke to work if they joined together?

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It seems like LMJ Deluxe is charting quite well in the UK eshop, charting at 17 overall and in the top 10 as far as non download exclusives go, I heard its doing pretty well across Europe too. That's quite good to know. At least as far as digital sales go, especially considering that Pokemon Sw/Sh is taking up 3 of those spots....
I hope the game does well enough to get the other games brought over as well and hopefully a new entry will be coming soon too.

Edit: Now its 16, the game is selling, that's for sure.

2nd Edit:
Here's a more in depth look at LMJ Deluxe's sales placement on the Switch eShop (Its a tad outdated already since the game is 16 in the UK now, which shows how well its doing.)

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Gosh its doing even better across Europe, Level-5 really is the SNK of Europe aren't they?
Hopefully this will mean good things for the future of the series as well as the company...

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
"The SNK of Europe" I couldn't have said it better than you :D
And its bumped up to 14 in the UK charts now (12 if you count the three different Pokemon Sw/Sh spots as one). I'm very happy that this game is selling really well if the eShop charts are anything to go by, (especially since it has stuff like Pokemon, Luigi's Mansion and Mario & Sonic to content with) hopefully they will let us know the exact numbers at some point.

One thing's for sure, Layton would definitely sell very well in Europe if he was ever included in Smash.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
I don't believe Layton will be fighter #5, especially if the next fighter is revealed at the Game Awards, but since the Terry presentation I cannot help but feel hope :'(
I'd be okay if the last fighter turns out to be KOS-MOS or any Capcom character that isn't a Monster Hunter character, but Lloyd or Heihachi would definitely disappoint me, even knowing there are more fighters coming...
However, if we still end up with Layton as the last fighters pass character........oooooh boy I probably wouldn't survive lmao
I always thought the last fighter would be Doom Slayer, but given what the big leakers said, it's not happening :(
If Layton gets in at the last possible moment, that means I would've predicted 4/5 characters in the fighters Pass lol, Terry was basically the wild card I never saw coming (ironic, since I saw Joker coming from miles away) but Layton would probably be a wild card that many people would be okay with (at least I hope so :p)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't believe Layton will be fighter #5, especially if the next fighter is revealed at the Game Awards, but since the Terry presentation I cannot help but feel hope :'(
I'd be okay if the last fighter turns out to be KOS-MOS or any Capcom character that isn't a Monster Hunter character, but Lloyd or Heihachi would definitely disappoint me, even knowing there are more fighters coming...
However, if we still end up with Layton as the last fighters pass character........oooooh boy I probably wouldn't survive lmao
I always thought the last fighter would be Doom Slayer, but given what the big leakers said, it's not happening :(
If Layton gets in at the last possible moment, that means I would've predicted 4/5 characters in the fighters Pass lol, Terry was basically the wild card I never saw coming (ironic, since I saw Joker coming from miles away) but Layton would probably be a wild card that many people would be okay with (at least I hope so :p)
I suppose it depends on when we will be getting the next reveal. Apparently people are already receiving new activity notices at the Smash Youtube page so who knows I suppose, we might potentially be getting a Smash Direct or something within the coming weeks.... maybe.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I suppose it depends on when we will be getting the next reveal. Apparently people are already receiving new activity notices at the Smash Youtube page so who knows I suppose, we might potentially be getting a Smash Direct or something within the coming weeks.... maybe.
That, or it's the heavily rumored appearance at the Game Awards. Either is likely

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
heres a random question, how would you want the announcer to call his name? "layton" or "professor layton" or "hershel layton"

MattX20

Smash Hero
heres a random question, how would you want the announcer to call his name? "layton" or "professor layton" or "hershel layton"
Professor Layton since that's the full title. If Pokemon Trainer can be said, so can that

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think they'd probably just go with "Layton" they don't often tend to use a character's full names/titles in Smash. At least in the English versions. I think Olimar is called Pikmin & Olimar or Captain Olimar in certain languages.

I'd prefer Professor Layton though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I still need to pick the Switch port of Layton's Mystery Journey.

I sadly lack the money right now.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I've just purchased the game online and awaiting its delivery. I ironically never actually got the chance to play LMJ for mobile or 3DS.
From what I've heard the game is more of a slice of life where the main story takes a bit more of a backseat compared to the original series. I guess that makes sense considering the game was originally designed for IOS/Android devices in mind.

Its been a long time since I last played a new mainline Layton game so I guess I'll give the game a fair shake and see what we could possibly expect for the next entry or what they could improve upon for later.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
actaully

character 5 is not gonna be revealed at the awards it should be a week in a halfish

we spotted a private video on the offical smash bros youtube page every time that happened it was a week or so later we see a new character

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
actaully

character 5 is not gonna be revealed at the awards it should be a week in a halfish

we spotted a private video on the offical smash bros youtube page every time that happened it was a week or so later we see a new character
I suppose that makes sense, if they decide to do a second fighters pass, probably for the best to reveal a character from that there instead and get people on board for that asap.

Probably for the best to wrap up this one soon.

What are the average gaps for these notifications though? About a week or two?

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I suppose that makes sense, if they decide to do a second fighters pass, probably for the best to reveal a character from that there instead and get people on board for that asap.

Probably for the best to wrap up this one soon.

What are the average gaps for these notifications though? About a week or two?
From what I've seen it's usually that, though the one for E3 debuted like a month before.

amageish

Smash Master
I don't believe Layton will be fighter #5, especially if the next fighter is revealed at the Game Awards, but since the Terry presentation I cannot help but feel hope
Honestly, I think a Smash character would always be big news no matter who it is, so I could see anyone getting revealed at The Game Awards - even if it's someone more niche who wouldn't usually have their own games advertised there.

That said, I'm also not 100% sold on TGAs having a Smash reveal of any sort, as Nintendo may have other stuff they want to promote. Smash Bros is already owned by a majority of Switch owners I believe, so the $6 they could potentially get from promoting a DLC character would kind of pale in comparison to the profits a well-promoted new game could provide...

actaully

Do we actually know if there is a private video or is it just the new upload notification?

MattX20

Smash Hero
Just picked up Layton's Mystery Journey for the Switch. Since my only experiences with Layton were with the first game on the DS and the Phoenix Wright crossover, I wanted to give this one a chance.

amageish

Smash Master
You mean this

That was posted yesterday

Yeah, that just indicates a change to a video on the channel. It could be a new private upload, but it also happens whenever a video is updated in some way (ex/ if they edit an already-uploaded video title, tags, or description), which also is very possible.

So, I'd dial down the hype for now just to be safe. We may not get anything next week...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Did people notice any changes to any video's though?
I suppose only time will tell.

Anyway.

I wonder if Tomohito Nishiura ever got to compose any songs for Smash in the past, or any of his past songs used? I know one of the composers from Ace Attorney did.

Might be interesting to look into.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oh well, guess we'll see some of his songs if the prof makes it in then.

Anyway, I've just beaten the first two cases of LMJ Deluxe, I'll give my full thoughts on the game once I've completed the game.

Why does this feel so relatable?:drsad:

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Did people notice any changes to any video's though?
I suppose only time will tell.
Said changes would include metadata stuff, so telling would require someone monitoring the source code on every video on the entire channel to see if the tags changed... I know Smash fans are dedicated, but I don't know if they would do that...

Anyway, I've just beaten the first two cases of LMJ Deluxe, I'll give my full thoughts on the game once I've completed the game.

Why does this feel so relatable?:drsad:
Hopefully you've enjoyed the beginning of the game!

Kat is nothing if not relatable...

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
A wave of fond memories overtook me when I heard the London 3 theme in Layton Mystery Journey when you’re outside of Scotland Yard. Really love that song, I’d love to hear it remixed in Smash.

Just finished The 4th case, and I’m having fun so far. its interesting that it takes a more non-linear approach and opens up to multiple cases simultaneously.

Also I found the Layton museum in the bonus menu, all it really has is unlock-able pictures of cutscenes from the past games, but it’s a nice reminder of the legacy the series has.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
A wave of fond memories overtook me when I heard the London 3 theme in Layton Mystery Journey when you’re outside of Scotland Yard. Really love that song, I’d love to hear it remixed in Smash.

Just finished The 4th case, and I’m having fun so far. its interesting that it takes a more non-linear approach and opens up to multiple cases simultaneously.

Also I found the Layton museum in the bonus menu, all it really has is unlock-able pictures of cutscenes from the past games, but it’s a nice reminder of the legacy the series has.
The new London theme certainly sounds good, I don't know why, but the one from AL always made me feel a tad depressed for some reason...

I finished the third case myself, I need to get on with the fourth one as well. I try to find all the puzzles and collectables in every case first before I move on to the next case.

The funny thing about the Layton museum is that you can pretty much exploit the whole thing by saving the screenshots on your Switch, reset the game and view the others, rinse and repeat without turning back so it doesn't autosave, whoops....

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I'm glad everyone has been enjoying LMJ for what it is! I do like how the case system allows you to play things in different orders...

hmm dont think that was in the 3ds version, oh well
It was, but it is only accessible via the Extras menu, so can't blame you for missing it.

D

Deleted member

Hopefully I don't get Mystery Journey spoiled by the time I get my hands on the game.

Top Bottom