• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
any care to make a general layton/level-5 and carry on the discussion?
That's what I was thinking of doing. I tried to do something like that after Smash 4 DLC ended by creating a general Layton series thread in Nintenzone, but the thread never got much attention.

I can work on creating one, but I won't have time to do so until later today since I am rather busy throughout a good chunk of today.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think you'd probably be better off creating a Layton for Smash Discord and take it from there, maybe involve the Layton reddit page to have it included there along with the other Layton Discord page (or maybe a merger with that if they haven't done that yet.) So you can involve the rest of the Layton fandom in it, having a separate thread on Smashboards is probably going to end up being very inactive again..

Maybe a support group for Level-5 getting content in Smash in general would garner more supporters for fans of their other IP's too..

but yeah, very sad how Level-5 was done so dirty in Ultimate, I think their pretty much the only Japanese game company that received zero content they own in Smash (Unless you count the Touhou guy..)... #JusticeForLevel5

Last edited:

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Welp guys, it's been one long journey.
I figured we would never get Professor Layton content in Smash ever since when Level 5 started doing delays, and I lost hope a long while ago already, and lo and behold we have gone one more smash game without our gentleman :-/
I came back here to say goodbye to everyone, as I most likely won't return to this site until news of the next smash game comes out (which will be in a long long while).
While I will still play Smash Ultimate from time to time, I will definitely miss all the speculation I took a part in since 2013 all the way up until now, and I have discovered and played so many games I missed out on (and will continue to discover more and more of them).
I shall reiterate one last time, that forever and ever until it happens, Professor Layton will remain my favorite and most wanted character \(^o^)/

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
I think you'd probably be better off creating a Layton for Smash Discord and take it from there, maybe involve the Layton reddit page to have it included there along with the other Layton Discord page (or maybe a merger with that if they haven't done that yet.) So you can involve the rest of the Layton fandom in it, having a separate thread on Smashboards is probably going to end up being very inactive again..

Maybe a support group for Level-5 getting content in Smash in general would garner more supporters for fans of their other IP's too..

but yeah, very sad how Level-5 was done so dirty in Ultimate, I think their pretty much the only Japanese game company that received zero content they own in Smash (Unless you count the Touhou guy..)... #JusticeForLevel5
A Layton Discord would be a great idea, although I probably would not be the best person to create the server and be the head admin. I'm already a mod for another Discord server, and with what life is like for me lately, I am not sure I can juggle being an admin of a Layton Discord server.

Creating a General Layton series discussion thread on Nintenzone would be the more manageable way I can put together something like this, but now that you brought up what might happen to making another thread again... yeah, wouldn't be surprising if it becomes inactive again. Heck, I'm not sure how active Nintenzone threads are these days. Maybe they will become more popular in the post Smash Ultimate DLC era? Well, we'll just have to see.

I guess I will wait on creating this General Layton series discussion thread for a bit. I mainly want to know if an announcement from the mods has been made yet regarding when the newcomer speculation threads will be closed, or at the very least, I think having that deadline in mind will give me an idea on when we should take the inititaive.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
A Layton Discord would be a great idea, although I probably would not be the best person to create the server and be the head admin. I'm already a mod for another Discord server, and with what life is like for me lately, I am not sure I can juggle being an admin of a Layton Discord server.

Creating a General Layton series discussion thread on Nintenzone would be the more manageable way I can put together something like this, but now that you brought up what might happen to making another thread again... yeah, wouldn't be surprising if it becomes inactive again. Heck, I'm not sure how active Nintenzone threads are these days. Maybe they will become more popular in the post Smash Ultimate DLC era? Well, we'll just have to see.

I guess I will wait on creating this General Layton series discussion thread for a bit. I mainly want to know if an announcement from the mods has been made yet regarding when the newcomer speculation threads will be closed, or at the very least. I think having that deadline in mind will give me an idea no when we should take the inititaive.
I see. Well its up to you (or whoever wants to take the initiative) on what we should do next.

But yeah, as I said in the last page, web forums in general, including Smashboards, have kind of slowly become more of a relic of a bygone era these days, especially during the wake of more social media platforms like Twitter, Instagram and Discord, so I'm not sure how active a thread like that would be, especially since the last one, including the Smashboards Group we made became such ghost towns fairly quickly...

But eitherway, whatever you guys decide to do, feel free to share it here and I'll make sure I place a special notice on the thread's title and OP (Which I regretted not doing in the last thread when the Smash 4 discussion boards where shut down..)

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
There’s already a Layton discord if you want me to link it. Was made a few weeks ago by the Layton Facebook group page

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
There’s already a Layton discord if you want me to link it. Was made a few weeks ago by the Layton Facebook group page
Yeah, it would be a good idea to provide a link to it. I think it could be a good place for Layton supporters to from this thread to hang out and continue general Layton series discussion there.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
This seems like the best place on SmashBoards to ask - are the Layton games self-contained, or do you have to play them in release order to follow the story? Also, which game on the 3DS would be the best one to start with? (whenever I beat the Phoenix Wright Trilogy, I'm thinking about trying at least one Layton game on the 3DS, along with their crossover game)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
This seems like the best place on SmashBoards to ask - are the Layton games self-contained, or do you have to play them in release order to follow the story? Also, which game on the 3DS would be the best one to start with? (whenever I beat the Phoenix Wright Trilogy, I'm thinking about trying at least one Layton game on the 3DS, along with their crossover game)
The first trilogy is a bit more self contained but there are somethings. Second trilogy you’d better play in order though as a prequel you can play then first. Lady Layton is pretty self contained from itself at times

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
For the most part every game has its own unique story to tell separate from what came before and after.
The main thing that would probably throw you off a little is certain characters that are introduced in certain games coming out of nowhere in another or certain references flying over your head, but that's usually just brushed aside for the most part. That said, the prequel trilogy overall has a more set narrative going on compared to the original trilogy, which is more of a mystery of the month type affair.

Most fans however would recommend playing the series in release order (Curious Village > Diabolical Box > Unwound Future > Last Specter > Miracle Mask > Azran Legacy) mainly because each game builds up on the last one in terms of gameplay and story structure. So if you where to play from the prequels (Last Specter) to Curious Village you might get a bit of a jarring feeling in terms of story and gameplay content, (Although the HD port tried to mitigate that a little by adding some of the QoL features introduced in later games.)

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
It's best to play in release order.

But the general timeline goes:
Last Specter
the movie
Miracle Mask
Azran Legacy
Curious village
Diabolical box
Vs Ace Attorney
Unwound Future
Mystery room
Mystery journey
The anime

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
https://discord.gg/3uBDJuH2

here’s the link to the Layton discord
Sweet, I will join it when I have the chance!

It's best to play the Layton games in order of release. The original trilogy goes in order from Curious Village > Diabolical Box > Vs Ace Attorney > Unwound Future.

The prequel trilogy is the earliest in the Layton timeline, and that one should definitely be played in order because the prequel trilogy feels more like one large story with many mysteries that are built up over the course of the games. The order of the prequel trilogy goes Last Specter > Eternal Diva (the Layton movie; definitely give it a watch because it's really good and canon to the story) > Miracle Mask > Azran Legacy.

Katrielle's game can be played after those six games and the movie, though it's worth noting the Layton anime adapts Katrielle's game and extends into a sequel story.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Well seems like the newcomer speculation board will come to a close on October 21st. Let me know all the alternative threads and pages you guys wish to include into the OP so I can do that before the thread closes, that way we can still continue discussing Layton, Smash or Level-5 stuff in general.

Anyway, its been fun speculating with you guys, I can't believe we managed to keep things going for 110 pages this time, a huge step up from the 59 of the last thread during the Smash 4 days. especially since we where much more disadvantaged during this game's speculation cycle than the last one.

Again, I probably won't be making the next support thread whenever that time comes unless Level-5 somehow manages to make a huge turnaround by the time the next Smash game comes along, especially if the Layton series gets revitalized by that point. But to whoever wants to carry on that mantle, you have my full support!

Take good care everyone!

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Well seems like the newcomer speculation board will come to a close on October 21st. Let me know all the alternative threads and pages you guys wish to include into the OP so I can do that before the thread closes, that way we can still continue discussing Layton, Smash or Level-5 stuff in general.

Anyway, its been fun speculating with you guys, I can't believe we managed to keep things going for 110 pages this time, a huge step up from the 59 of the last thread during the Smash 4 days. especially since we where much more disadvantaged during this game's speculation cycle than the last one.

Again, I probably won't be making the next support thread whenever that time comes unless Level-5 somehow manages to make a huge turnaround by the time the next Smash game comes along, especially if the Layton series gets revitalized by that point. But to whoever wants to carry on that mantle, you have my full support!

Take good care everyone!
this one if you wouldnt mind https://smashboards.com/threads/level-5-discussion.515424/

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well this is it, the end of the line, if you need to find us, the link's are at the top of the OP in the first page. I thought about maybe adding the Layton reddit page too but oh well, I think the discord and Level-5 thread will do as this board inevitably gets buried come the next Smash.

It was fun chatting with you all, may we meet again!

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Our time here is coming to an end but don’t worry. We’ll meet again in the level 5 discussion thread, the Layton discord or the Layton Reddit page.

as someone once said “don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened”

gonna Miss this place but I hope to see you’s in the level 5 discussion thread made or one of the others. Heck even the general discussion thread for games.

we had a good run.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
It's a shame it never happened...Out of all the characters who could have come to Smash...

While Layton has never been one I thought was truly likely, this long speculation period has made me realize that he'd certainly be the one character I'd have the greatest personal reaction to. And I think what makes his absence even sadder is that for all we know, the franchise has concluded. Not only does it make his future prospects in Smash less likely, it also leaves those of us who love this series with little to look forward to but reminiscing about our memories of our time with the games.

But truthfully, I also don't think a Smash slot was ever what Layton really needed.

Ever since day 1, Professor Layton made a name for himself by carving out his own niche, a visual novel/puzzle book turned into a portable video game. It's that unique mix that made us pick him up in the first place, and stick with it despite how silly the endings could be.

Spirits or music would have been lovely, but ultimately, I don't need a playable Layton to affirm that it was good to love these games. And I hope that Layton fans remember that, even if they did get their hopes up that he might have made it in.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It's a shame it never happened...Out of all the characters who could have come to Smash...

While Layton has never been one I thought was truly likely, this long speculation period has made me realize that he'd certainly be the one character I'd have the greatest personal reaction to. And I think what makes his absence even sadder is that for all we know, the franchise has concluded. Not only does it make his future prospects in Smash less likely, it also leaves those of us who love this series with little to look forward to but reminiscing about our memories of our time with the games.

But truthfully, I also don't think a Smash slot was ever what Layton really needed.

Ever since day 1, Professor Layton made a name for himself by carving out his own niche, a visual novel/puzzle book turned into a portable video game. It's that unique mix that made us pick him up in the first place, and stick with it despite how silly the endings could be.

Spirits or music would have been lovely, but ultimately, I don't need a playable Layton to affirm that it was good to love these games. And I hope that Layton fans remember that, even if they did get their hopes up that he might have made it in.
Honestly at this point, even just a little shoutout for the franchise or even the company that created it would be good enough for me.
Its sad that Layton or even Phoenix Wright weren't really acknowledged at all in Ultimate, which is probably what stings the most as far as this game goes. especially when considering both series vast history during the DS and 3DS.

Eitherway it is what it is I guess. Even if the series doesn't have much of a future game wise, hopefully Level-5 will continue to support it with merchandise, HD ports and maybe another anime season...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i dont think anyone need their character playable to affirm that it was good for them to love their games. maybe to affirm their rabid fan status, we just wanted him cause we love him so much

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Part of me thinks Level 5 content might never get in smash due to yo Kai watch being deemed a Pokémon killer. Could see Nintendo holding some type of grudge over that but who knows. It’s just baffling how the series didn’t get spirits at the minimum.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Part of me thinks Level 5 content might never get in smash due to yo Kai watch being deemed a Pokémon killer. Could see Nintendo holding some type of grudge over that but who knows. It’s just baffling how the series didn’t get spirits at the minimum.
Why would Nintendo hold a grudge over that when they themselves helped promote the franchise overseas? Not to mention that it was was companies like Viz Media that threw that line around and not Level-5.

I have heard some talks that apparently Hino isn't too keen on seeing Yo-Kai Watch in Smash due to wanting to avoid comparisons with Pokemon to rise again, but I have yet to verify if that's actually true.

Though if Nintendo did approach them for Yo-Kai Watch content specifically then that might potentially explain why Level-5 had absolutely no content throughout the game's entire lifespan...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
if that was true why would they let in monster hunter which has spin off monster collectors? as does final fantasy and to a lesser extant kingdom hearts

Last edited:
Top Bottom