• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

MattX20

Smash Hero
No problem, if you need any help with any other puzzles, feel free to let me know.
Well, I cleared all the S puzzles too, though I'm trying to figure out how to get the remaining two decor dockets since I've got everything else otherwise

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well, I cleared all the S puzzles too, though I'm trying to figure out how to get the remaining two decor dockets since I've got everything else otherwise
Oh, did you solve every puzzle in the game? Including the Kat's conundrums ones?
There are 185 in total in the main storymode of the game.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah, I completed 185
Hmm, that's odd then, you should be able to get all office decorations when you solved all puzzles in the game, there are 46 dockets to collect in total, 1 for every 4 puzzles solved, which is the amount of decorations that you can get...

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Hmm, that's odd then, you should be able to get all office decorations when you solved all puzzles in the game, there are 46 dockets to collect in total, which is the amount of decorations that you can get...
Does not completing them when you first visit the puzzles count against them?

MattX20

Smash Hero
I would assume not...

Do you have both the puzzles solved and puzzles encountered tally at 185?
Bizarely, even though I've completed the 15 additional puzzles, the puzzles solved/encountered still says 170

Edit, scratch my last comment, I figured out what I did wrong.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Bizarely, even though I've completed the 15 additional puzzles, the puzzles solved/encountered still says 170
Oh no, the special puzzles don't count towards your tally. In fact, you just completed that other puzzle for the first time right? If that was the last puzzle you where looking for, then you should have just unlocked another section of Kats conundrums, you can find that at the bonus section, from the title screen.

Assuming you completed the three minigames as well.

That might be why you didn't get the remaining decor dockets.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah probably, good thing Nintendo has improved a lot in terms of releases in recent years.

Level-5 also seems to have improved a lot in terms of game releases, well at least as far as the Layton series is concerned. I suppose it makes sense considering how popular the series is outside of Japan, would be nice if they got their other IP's up there though...
oh yeah things have improved a fair amount

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
oh yeah things have improved a fair amount
Come to think of it, the Layton series is a very text heavy franchise, storymode aside, there are also the countless puzzles and hints throughout every game that need to be translated and localized. Yet that seems to be the sole franchise Level-5 seems to take care to not take 2+ years to release each entry overseas anymore. Apparently Snack World took about 4 or 5 years to be released in the west? Yikes....

I guess its as Hino said, Japan is their main priority for most of their franchises..

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Come to think of it, the Layton series is a very text heavy franchise, storymode aside, there are also the countless puzzles and hints throughout every game that need to be translated and localized. Yet that seems to be the sole franchise Level-5 seems to take care to not take 2+ years to release each entry overseas anymore. Apparently Snack World took about 4 or 5 years to be released in the west? Yikes....

I guess its as Hino said, Japan is their main priority for most of their franchises..
well layton certainly has been their most successful franchise so its no wonder its the one they want to get out there the quickest

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
well layton certainly has been their most successful franchise so its no wonder its the one they want to get out there the quickest
I remember those day's when the Layton series used to take forever to get localized as well. Remember when we barely got Lost Future while Last Specter and Miracle Mask where already out in Japan?

Its a good thing that Level-5's been taking more care to not have such a ridiculous release gaps for the series anymore, I suppose the series western popularity plays a bit of a role into that. Which is probably also why the Layton series tends to be more quiet compared to Level-5's other franchises. Mainly with them working on the localizations so the series can have a bit more of a worldwide release compared to their other IP's.

Though it does make me feel bad for fans of Level-5's other IP's since those still seem to have these ridiculous localization delays...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I remember those day's when the Layton series used to take forever to get localized as well. Remember when we barely got Lost Future while Last Specter and Miracle Mask where already out in Japan?
we got eternal diva before lost future
and the opening had clips from quite late in the game

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
we got eternal diva before lost future
and the opening had clips from quite late in the game
Did it? Well I suppose it came out around that game's release from what I can recall at least.

But yeah, it was a tad messy the way they made and released those games. I guess its good that their taking their time with them nowadays.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'm honestly stunned that they put out the games at such high rates. I thought when I'd gotten into them, they were a few years old, when in fact they were brand new!

That's amazing, the games that you could put out annually. If that's not an argument for lower budgets I don't know what is.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Did it? Well I suppose it came out around that game's release from what I can recall at least.

But yeah, it was a tad messy they way they made and released those games. I guess its good that their taking their time with them nowadays.
i think it was the week before, but i definitely saw ED first

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm honestly stunned that they put out the games at such high rates. I thought when I'd gotten into them, they were a few years old, when in fact they were brand new!

That's amazing, the games that you could put out annually. If that's not an argument for lower budgets I don't know what is.
I suppose back then they mainly had sprites and hand drawn artwork to deal with, so it was generally easier to make more entries for the series.

From the 3DS onward they started to make more use of 3D models, at least for the characters and a number of puzzles, so they couldn't really take these shortcuts anymore.

Heck now that the games have to be released on the big screen, even the overworld will probably have to be 3D modelled now. It was pretty easy to tell that the environment was hand drawn in LMJ Deluxe.

i think it was the week before, but i definitely saw ED first
Oh alright then, I suppose its good that I played Lost Future first before I watched the movie then...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I suppose back then they mainly had sprites and hand drawn artwork to deal with, so it was generally easier to make more entries for the series.

From the 3DS onward they started to make more use of 3D models, at least for the characters and a number of puzzles, so they couldn't really take these shortcuts anymore.

Heck now that the games have to be released on the big screen, even the overworld will probably have to be 3D modelled now. It was pretty easy to tell that the environment was hand drawn in LMJ Deluxe.

Oh alright then, I suppose its good that I played Lost Future first before I watched the movie then...
it will be something to see how the series would look with a game made for switch, yo-kai watch looks pretty good, very well done recreation, so we know they can do it

well as big a spoiler as it was
two layton games in, you're already fairly certain time travel isnt gonna be real and that makes "future luke" suspicious from the get go

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
it will be something to see how the series would look with a game made for switch, yo-kai watch looks pretty good, very well done recreation, so we know they can do it

well as big a spoiler as it was
two layton games in, you're already fairly certain time travel isnt gonna be real and that makes "future luke" suspicious from the get go
Oh I'm sure they can do it, no doubt, they just can't take any shortcuts anymore like they used to if the series is moving onto home consoles on the big screen now.

Which would be interesting to see how they will go about it this time. Would it still be at a point and click environment, or can we actually fully explore the Layton world in a 3D environment now while looking for any hidden puzzles and hint coins via a first person perspective?

That would be really interesting to see.

Yeah that's true, newcomers are going to wonder where Katrielle is in "Future London" in Lost Future or why "Future Luke" doesn't look anything like Adult Luke. I guess that part would probably be a tad ruined thanks to future games but oh well....

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Oh I'm sure they can do it, no doubt, they just can't take any shortcuts anymore like they used to if the series is moving onto home consoles on the big screen now.

Which would be interesting to see how they will go about it this time. Would it still be at a point and click environment, or can we actually fully explore the Layton world in a 3D environment now while looking for any hidden puzzles and hint coins via a first person perspective?

That would be really interesting to see.

Yeah that's true, newcomers are going to wonder where Katrielle is in "Future London" in Lost Future or why "Future Luke" doesn't look anything like Adult Luke. I guess that part would probably be a tad ruined thanks to future games but oh well....
i hope they wouldnt go for first person, i find games like that really unsettling

i suppose thats a risk you run with story heavy games. funnily enough i thought they did again with azran legacy as when i saw the trailers i thought sycamore was landon from miracle mask. of course them later i saw a pic of him with descole's butler so it didnt take much to work that out. and then the launch trailer for the game in the uk had a clip of of kid layton and what was clearly kid sycamore so that was another easy one to figure out

i think level-5 arent to bothered by spoilers

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
i hope they wouldnt go for first person, i find games like that really unsettling

i suppose thats a risk you run with story heavy games. funnily enough i thought they did again with azran legacy as when i saw the trailers i thought sycamore was landon from miracle mask. of course them later i saw a pic of him with descole's butler so it didnt take much to work that out. and then the launch trailer for the game in the uk had a clip of of kid layton and what was clearly kid sycamore so that was another easy one to figure out

i think level-5 arent to bothered by spoilers
I mean, it already kinda is first person, sort of, what with the investigation mode having you look around the environment for any hidden hint coins, collectables and puzzles etc, as well as interacting with any NPC's and all...

I don't really mean it like that though, kind of like Zelda where you can walk around freely and take a closer look at things in first person mode.
Heck maybe even have some environmental and interactable puzzles to solve much akin to some of the puzzles that are found in the Zelda series.

The trailers in the Layton series always tend to carry quite a lot of spoilers for the games, kind of counterintuitive, but I suppose most of the action scenes tend to happen around the end of the games, making them good trailer material I suppose...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I mean, it already kinda is first person, sort of, what with the investigation mode having you look around the environment for any hidden hint coins, collectables and puzzles etc, as well as interacting with any NPC's and all...

I don't really mean it like that though, kind of like Zelda where you can walk around freely and take a closer look at things in first person mode.
Heck maybe even have some environmental and interactable puzzles to solve much akin to some of the puzzles that are found in the Zelda series.

The trailers in the Layton series always tend to carry quite a lot of spoilers for the games, kind of counterintuitive, but I suppose most of the action scenes tend to happen around the end of the games, making them good trailer material I suppose...
now that i could get one board with

yeah isnt that just the way

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
So what past characters would you guys like to see again in the next Layton game? It can range from main characters to minor NPC's.

Layton and Luke are probably no brainers and they most likely will show up next time if the anime is anything to go by...
Flora is the elephant in the room that needs to be addressed, they really need to explain what happened to her.

Since The Professor Layton series is past a decade old now, some people are rather nostalgic of the games it seems. It would be interesting to see Layton return again to St. Mystere after all these years, perhaps to uncover the mystery of where Flora has gone.

I’d like to see Emmy again as well.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Flora is the elephant in the room that needs to be addressed, they really need to explain what happened to her.

Since The Professor Layton series is past a decade old now, some people are rather nostalgic of the games it seems. It would be interesting to see Layton return again to St. Mystere after all these years, perhaps to uncover the mystery of where Flora has gone.

I’d like to see Emmy again as well.
I just want to see Lucy and Alfendi again!
Yeah Flora and Alfendi in particular seem to be two characters that many fans are clamoring to see return, so hopefully we'll see them both again,

There was that teaser at the end of the anime as well as in the game itself when you 100% beat it that teases Alfendi's return so hopefully we'll see him soon

Flora also had those unused datamined character files within Layton's Mystery Journey so the dev's certainly didn't forget about her. Hopefully they will just give her a different role in the next game and don't abandon the character entirely.

Emmy would also be great to see again, I believe she went on to work for the World Times after Azran Legacy, so it would be interesting to see how she has gotten on after all that time.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
While I'm generally reluctant with bringing old characters back unless it serves the story, I think Emmy's ending in Azran Legacy is pretty rushed so I would like to see some closure for that.

Another thing: can we finally meet the woman that bore Layton's children? One of the weirdest things about the spin-offs is how hard it was for me to picture Layton getting involved with someone after the events of Unwound Future. I'd like to learn that story - who knows, maybe he also adopted them during later adventures like he did with Flora.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
While I'm generally reluctant with bringing old characters back unless it serves the story, I think Emmy's ending in Azran Legacy is pretty rushed so I would like to see some closure for that.

Another thing: can we finally meet the woman that bore Layton's children? One of the weirdest things about the spin-offs is how hard it was for me to picture Layton getting involved with someone after the events of Unwound Future. I'd like to learn that story - who knows, maybe he also adopted them during later adventures like he did with Flora.
Normally I'd agree yes, it won't do much good to bring back old characters if they are only there just for fanservice and nothing else, however sometimes it may also do well to give them at least some closure if anything. As said, we have dev explanations to where Emmy and Flora supposedly went after their main trilogies wrapped up, but it would still be nice to see them in universe and how they are getting on from there. Flora in particular just prematurely disappeared off the face of the earth and was never really given a proper closure, Which is something that has definitely bothered a lot of fans over the years. Emmy at least was allowed to have a goodbye...

Though then again, I don't know if I would want to see Flora again if she's just going to get cast aside with very little screen time and character development again, Its quite conflicting I suppose...

As for the mother of Katrielle, all I can probably say on that is watch the anime as it gets addressed there...

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
granny, flora, emmy, grosky & descole, ill see if i can think of anyone else
Oh speaking of Granny Riddleton, her character was definitely very different in LMJ wasn't it? I suppose she may have left her old missing puzzle collecting day's behind. I suppose her age might have finally caught up with her over time...

Stachenscarfen also seems to be quite different, although he does seem to still be aware that the whole Layton world is just a game...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Oh speaking of Granny Riddleton, her character was definitely very different in LMJ wasn't it? I suppose she may have left her old missing puzzle collecting day's behind. I suppose her age might have finally caught up with her over time...

Stachenscarfen also seems to be quite different, although he does seem to still be aware that the whole Layton world is just a game...
and hes aged well
for a robot

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
and hes aged well
for a robot
That's always quite weird to me and wether or not he actually is native to St.Mystere, I think they did address Pavel and that he was an outsider as well, just with his bad sense of direction he somehow ended up there.

They did refer to Granny Riddleton as a Robot initially, but Hino later hinted that there where possibly multiple Granny Riddletons in the Layton world (So bascally Layton's Nurse Joy, Beedle and Anna etc)

Stachen is quite eccentric too, he's kind of like Layton's Tingle/Waluigi I suppose with how weird and out there he can be, and his obsession with hint coins. I don't remember if they ever adressed him as being a robot though, I think they did show him leaving St. Mystere at the end credits and he seemed fine ever since...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That's always quite weird to me and wether or not he actually is native to St.Mystere, I think they did address Pavel and that he was an outsider as well, just with his bad sense of direction he somehow ended up there.

They did refer to Granny Riddleton as a Robot initially, but Hino later hinted that there where possibly multiple Granny Riddletons in the Layton world (So bascally Layton's Nurse Joy, Beedle and Anna etc)

Stachen is quite eccentric too, he's kind of like Layton's Tingle/Waluigi I suppose with how weird and out there he can be, and his obsession with hint coins. I don't remember if they ever adressed him as being a robot though, I think they did show him leaving St. Mystere at the end credits and he seemed fine ever since...
perhaps they were going for deliberate ambiguity, what with the whole mystery genre

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
I was just thinking how if Professor Layton made it, and not Katrielle, I really really would hope that she would at least get a mii costume. A Katrielle Mii costume would be absolutley adorable and I'd actually love using the Miis for it!

Edit: Where's a good place to catch the LMJ anime btw? I am not a big anime fan but I'd really like to see it, yet I don't know where to start

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I was just thinking how if Professor Layton made it, and not Katrielle, I really really would hope that she would at least get a mii costume. A Katrielle Mii costume would be absolutley adorable and I'd actually love using the Miis for it!

Edit: Where's a good place to catch the LMJ anime btw? I am not a big anime fan but I'd really like to see it, yet I don't know where to start
I think Katrielle is the most likely one to get a mii costume out of everyone (assuming she doesn't join Layton) asides from Luke.

It should be on YouTube (assuming they haven't been taken down yet...)

You can view the Relic Stone arc here though.

Last edited:

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
I think Katrielle is the most likely one to get a mii costume out of everyone (assuming she doesn't join Layton) asides from Luke.

It should be on YouTube (assuming they haven't been taken down yet...)

You can view the Relic Stone arc here though.
Agreed! I also updated my Katrielle doc for newcomers!

Ok, thanks, I'll look around!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
>Looks at this weeks spirit event
>Realizes third party spirit events are becoming more common lately

I'm so not looking forward to Wednesdays anymore....

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
>Looks at this weeks spirit event
>Realizes third party spirit events are becoming more common lately

I'm so not looking forward to Wednesdays anymore....
It's possible that Layton could get spirit boarded, but if it does happen I'd be happy that he finally got to be included in the Nintendo All-star crossover were he belongs, even if not in the form i'd want.

As much as it would suck, I'd rather Layton be a spirit than nothing at all.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It's possible that Layton could get spirit boarded, but if it does happen I'd be happy that he finally got to be included in the Nintendo All-star crossover were he belongs, even if not in the form i'd want.

As much as it would suck, I'd rather Layton be a spirit than nothing at all.
Yeah your right, I'd rather the series at least finally be acknowledged in Smash, it deserves that much at least.

But at the same time.... It feels like we're so close....

Maybe its just me...

Top Bottom