• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
perhaps theres a lot that can be done with a sword, pointing and throwing a magnifying glass around

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
and finnished

that got me right in the emotions as usual, i quite liked all the new characters there seven dragons were all surprisingly nice people with

quite a nice batch of stories, loved the little yo-kai watch reference in the collection

i really hope in the next game we get dual scenarios like in miracle mask, one with katrielle and co and one showing what happened to the professor

i kind of hope we get a spin off about the ratmen, i don't know why but i love em

EDIT: opps didn't relize i was double posting sorry

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Please add me to the supportes, I would love to have Layton in Smash Bros!

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Lemme revive this thread with a drawing I'm making of Layton and Family.

I'm having fun drawing it. :)
Layton room 4.png

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Smash for Switch has just been announced, wether It's a port or new game remains to be seen, but lets get the boat running eitherway.

Erureido Erureido fogbadge fogbadge Professor Pumpkaboo Professor Pumpkaboo @AEMehr MegaMarioMan9 MegaMarioMan9 GWTCN GWTCN Rasumii Rasumii and everyone

Hope ya'll are up for another round for Hershel Layton for Smash!
Hopes are high, we'll just have to wait and see! Super excited for the game regardless. BotW Link is super cool as well. If the Professor manages to make it in though then my hype will be through the roof.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
My hype for Smash has been revived with the newest announcement!

Looking forward to supporting Layton again these next few months. Hopefully, we'll see our favorite Professor make it into the playable roster!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
they included quite a few 3rd party characters some who i never thought would be in smash so im reasonably optimistic for layton in smash though as a general rule i dont get my hopes up

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

GWTCN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GWTCN4
3DS FC
0173-1757-4619
The Smash Bros. website has had a complete overhaul, and the title is now 'Super Smash Bros. (title pending) for Nintendo Switch.

So it's definitely a new game.

I'm less optimistic about Layton as I was the last time, considering he's not quite as relevant in gaming anymore, but anything can happen. Bring him on!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well at least the series itself is still relevant and Hershel is without a doubt the main face and mascot of the franchise over either Alfendi or Katrielle. So he's most likely the one who would receive the most support and priority for Smash.

I do agree his chances aren't really the best, but hey, still wouldn't hurt to support the guy the best we can. So long as Level-5 continues to support the franchise and keep it relevant to the public's eye.

Last edited:

GWTCN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GWTCN4
3DS FC
0173-1757-4619
Well at least the series itself is still relevant and Hershel is without a doubt the main face and mascot of the franchise over either Alfendi or Katrielle. So he's most likely the one who would receive the most support and priority for Smash.

I do agree his chances aren't really the best, but hey, still wouldn't hurt to support the guy the best we can. So long as Level-5 continues to support the franchise and keep it relevant to the public's eye.
Tell you what, I'm going to be genuinely pissed if a Yokai makes it in as the Level-5 representation.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Tell you what, I'm going to be genuinely pissed if a Yokai makes it in as the Level-5 representation.
Oh yeah, forgot about the Yokai Watch series....

Hopefully that'd make Layton more likely for DLC at least....
Also, I just properly read the title of the thread. What's the new game coming out?
Not much info is given about the new game yet other than that it will be coming out this year I believe, gotta wait until Level-5 does another one of those vision presentations I guess.

GWTCN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GWTCN4
3DS FC
0173-1757-4619
Not much info is given about the new game yet other than that it will be coming out this year I believe, gotta wait until Level-5 does another one of those vision presentations I guess.
When was this announced? I like to think I'm up to date on Layton-related news, but this one must have slipped past me...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
When was this announced? I like to think I'm up to date on Layton-related news, but this one must have slipped past me...
It was announced shortly after LMJ's release I think, here's a quote from an older post.

Well there's a bit of exciting news for us. Thanks Erureido Erureido for bringing this to our attention.

The Layton series will finally get its own TV series coming up next year, after Inazuma Eleven and Yokai Watch, It's about time that the Layton series joins in on the fun. All we know at the moment is that it will have 26 episodes though so we don't know much about what we can expect so far.

Also, Level-5 confirmed that a new game is already in development and slated for release (at least in Japan) next year too. Guess the Layton series is back in full swing again.

Plus, for those who are waiting for the 3DS version of LMJ, the game will be coming out this Friday, hope you enjoy.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Jibanyan's inclusion would either be a curse (Best he could hope for is a mii costume if they come back) or a blessing in disguise (Easier to negotiate with for DLC at least)

Though I guess I wouldn't be too against Yokai Watch for Smash, I would definitely prefer they prioritized Layton first though as far as Level-5 series go.

Also, nice to have you on board Crap-Zapper!

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
with all the different jibanyans there are in the series i wouldnt be surprised if we end up layton jibanyan one day

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Jibanyan's inclusion would either be a curse (Best he could hope for is a mii costume if they come back) or a blessing in disguise (Easier to negotiate with for DLC at least)

Though I guess I wouldn't be too against Yokai Watch for Smash, I would definitely prefer they prioritized Layton first though as far as Level-5 series go.

Also, nice to have you on board Crap-Zapper!
Y'know, I could honestly see Jibanyan as a Mii costume. It'd be a good way to get both of those franchises into Smash without spending the time developing more than one character. Of course, the opposite scenario could also happen, with Jibanyan getting in and Layton being relegated to a Mii costume. But let's not think too long on that possibility. :p

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Y'know, I could honestly see Jibanyan as a Mii costume. It'd be a good way to get both of those franchises into Smash without spending the time developing more than one character. Of course, the opposite scenario could also happen, with Jibanyan getting in and Layton being relegated to a Mii costume. But let's not think too long on that possibility. :p
could have a whole set of level 5 costumes, layton for sword fighter, jibanyan for brawler and whisper for gunner

So_many_mails

Smash Apprentice
I'll post something I wrote earlier:

Layton is a character I don't see mentioned much, but I think he has a realistic, though small, chance of being in the next game.

* All the main series games, as well as Layton vs Wright, are Nintendo Exclusives, and although the other spinoffs were also on iOS, so are Mario and Pokemon.

* Level 5 have released many games exclusive to Nintendo systems, such as Yokai Watch, the Inazuma Eleven series and Snack World, showing that the two companies have a good relationship, essentially being '2nd-party' developers. Despite this, Level 5 do not currently have any representation in the Smash Bros series.

* The games have sold 15.5 million copies worldwide (as of April 2015).

* The series continues to be popular, with a movie already having been made, 3 novels and a manga published, as well as a series in the works.

* Level 5 have said they are working an getting a Layton game working on the switch. (rumored to release in Late Summer 2018)

* Layton and the Curious Village is the 17th highest selling DS game, ahead of both Zeldas, Warioware, and many other first party Nintendo Games. The other 3 Layton DS games are also within the top 38 highest selling DS games, all selling at least 1.91 million copies.

* Layton featured in the advertising booklets bundled with DS games in Europe, which featured mainly first party games otherwise. Layton was also displayed on the Nintendo of Europe website alongside Mario and Zelda back in the DS era. UPDATE: Layton still features 6th on a list of prominent Nintendo series [here](https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Characters-Hub/Nintendo-Characters-Hub-106313.html), on a section of the Nintendo UK website that was recently updated (and placed above Kirby and Metroid).

* The official Layton twitter tweeted this: https://twitter.com/LaytonSeries/status/863184385683595264 showing that Level 5 has at least a small interest in having Layton in the game.

* Smash currently has no other characters from a series that debuted on DS.

There is other evidence, such as a tweet from the voice actor, but I doubt the validity of this since it was published around the time of Smash 4 being developed, and there was some confusion over whether it was serious or not. I also recognise that this sort of thing could be said for many characters, and is in no way hard evidence that he could be included.There are also a lot of other people that would like to see Layton in the game, (searching twitter for layton smash finds a ton), but again, this is true for many characters.

I'd like to hear what other people think about him as a character, and if they think he should be in the game.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I've wanted Layton since Smash 4. He'd be a interesting fit, for sure, and Nintendo and level 5 have a good relationship. My only hangup is, if Level 5 got a character rep, would it be Layton, or someone from Yokai Watch?

The easy answer for me is that I just support both options. Put my name down for Layton support.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
There is other evidence, such as a tweet from the voice actor, but I doubt the validity of this since it was published around the time of Smash 4 being developed, and there was some confusion over whether it was serious or not. I also recognise that this sort of thing could be said for many characters, and is in no way hard evidence that he could be included.There are also a lot of other people that would like to see Layton in the game, (searching twitter for layton smash finds a ton), but again, this is true for many characters.
Many of us here remember the whole voice actor fiasco. Ultimately, it turned out to be a false alarm as Christopher Robin Miller (Layton's VA) basically made an assumption after being tweeted to, thinking that some of his lines during a session may have been related to Smash. It was clear that he wasn't very familiar with the Smash series and there was just a lot of confusion on the subject. It was kind of a letdown at the end, but it was still fun to speculate about whether or not the Professor was actually going to make it into the game.

Some of your other points are pretty strong, especially the part about the series going mobile. I didn't consider that a lot of Nintendo's IP's have been going mobile as well, so that doesn't hinder his chances by any means.

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Here's an interesting thought I had: With the new series on games seemingly taking focus on Layton's daughter, Katrielle Layton, do you think that if Prof. Layton made it into Smash, Katrielle could appear as a alternate skin/costume for Layton?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I have yet to play a Professor Layton game, but the guy is still on my secondary third party list.

So_many_mails

Smash Apprentice
Here's an interesting thought I had: With the new series on games seemingly taking focus on Layton's daughter, Katrielle Layton, do you think that if Prof. Layton made it into Smash, Katrielle could appear as a alternate skin/costume for Layton?
I think its a possibility if Layton has a more puzzle based moveset, as his animations would be less specific to his model, but if he has the swordfighter/brawling style moveset the animations would look pretty strange on Katrielle.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm not sure if it would work out that well, pretty sure the two have different height and proportions from each other. I think the best we can probably see from Kat is her appearing as an Assist Trophy.

Many of us here remember the whole voice actor fiasco. Ultimately, it turned out to be a false alarm as Christopher Robin Miller (Layton's VA) basically made an assumption after being tweeted to, thinking that some of his lines during a session may have been related to Smash. It was clear that he wasn't very familiar with the Smash series and there was just a lot of confusion on the subject. It was kind of a letdown at the end, but it was still fun to speculate about whether or not the Professor was actually going to make it into the game.

Some of your other points are pretty strong, especially the part about the series going mobile. I didn't consider that a lot of Nintendo's IP's have been going mobile as well, so that doesn't hinder his chances by any means.
Come to think of it, when was that whole voice fiasco again? I know it was before the ballot ended, but when exactly? Did we ever find out what they where used for?

And yeah, It's nice to know that Nintendo is dipping into the mobile market too, would be neat to see some remakes of the DS Layton games for mobile or even the Switch if they got those little technical difficulties of on tv mode sorted....

Last edited:

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Come to think of it, when was that whole voice fiasco again? I know it was before the ballot ended, but when exactly? Did we ever find out what they where used for?
Looks like it was around August 2015, according to this article. And no, we never really learned what those "extra lines" were for. It was most likely either unused, or used in one of the games in some context that wasn't super obvious.

And yeah, as much as I would like Kat as an alt for the Professor, I think the proportions would be too different for it to be reasonable. In Smash 4, even Lucina's proportions caused trouble for her as a Marth alt, resulting in Sakurai turning her into a clone character, iirc.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Can anyone tell me a good FIRST title to play? I am very unfamiliar with Layton but have been quite interested for some time.
And I mean one that can hook my attention and get me to understand more about him early on- I no longer have all of my days to play games (and I am a worse person for it).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Can anyone tell me a good FIRST title to play? I am very unfamiliar with Layton but have been quite interested for some time.
And I mean one that can hook my attention and get me to understand more about him early on- I no longer have all of my days to play games (and I am a worse person for it).
perhaps number four in the series, the specter's call (or the last specter where you are) its the first one chronologically and the series has found its feet in terms of gameplay

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Last Specter wouldn't be too bad a place to start, it does have a lot of the series' standard game mechanics and it's an improvement to the first couple games. However, I find the game's story a bit on the weaker side. I would personally start from the beginning with Curious Village. Being the first in the series the gameplay is a bit weaker, but it's still a great introduction to the series. The story for the game is strong and self-contained, so it's an enjoyable experience throughout. Plus, if you start with one of the later games, it's going to be hard to go back to Curious Village's mechanics. So I'd start there and continue forward by release order if you're interested. I'd at least play through the next two games, Diabolical Box and Unwound Future, as they're generally regarded as the best in the series. I just recommend playing Curious Village beforehand so you're properly introduced to the characters and mechanics.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If you want to go straight for the most popular entry in the series then I suppose Unwound Future/Lost Future will do, it delves a bit into Layton's past as well and how he got his signature tophat.

Otherwise, Curious Village is a good starting point, or Last Specter if you want to take it chronologically.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
If you want to go straight for the most popular entry in the series then I suppose Unwound Future/Lost Future will do, it delves a bit into Layton's past as well and how he got his signature tophat.

Otherwise, Curious Village is a good starting point, or Last Specter if you want to take it chronologically.
If the user who is named after Curious Village doesn't recommend the game, then maybe there is something wrong with it?

Honestly I do most want to know the characters and mechanics. So I will start slowly. Maybe I can even find it for cheap.
Or get the company to give me a media download code.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If the user who is named after Curious Village doesn't recommend the game, then maybe there is something wrong with it?

Honestly I do most want to know the characters and mechanics. So I will start slowly. Maybe I can even find it for cheap.
Or get the company to give me a media download code.
I mean, I do personally like the game, and I do think Its a great starting point for newcomers due to Its more short and simplistic design compared to Its successors. It also has a good difficulty if that's what you're looking for.

I would recommend starting with Curious Village and working your way up in order of release. However, if you're looking to only play one of the entries due to lack of time and for a more balanced game in terms of gameplay, length and story, then you can't go wrong with the third game. (although some characters introduced in Curious Village may be coming out of no where to you if you haven't played that game) Just my two cent's.

Their mostly very cheap nowaday's and the earlier games are short and sweet enough. especially the DS entries, so they shouldn't put too much of a dent on your budget and time.

So_many_mails

Smash Apprentice
I would go with Curious Village too, with all the references in later games it makes the most sense.

Top Bottom