• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

LavaLatte's Mods | SMRPG Geno for Project M!

LavaLatte

Smash Cadet
Geno Trailer Thumbnail.png

Building off the work of previous developers (Dr. Flux, Southcraft, Starwaffle), Geno has been re-invented into the world of Project M! Equipped with new tools, movement options and projectiles, he hopes to bring a funky new pace to the Smash Bros. roster.

Download Links:
http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=214782

Included are two packs, one to place directly over Toon Link and one for BrawlEx use! This must be used in Project M and is compatible with both Dolphin and Wii. Both packs include instructions for installation.

Special Moves:
Neutral Special: Geno Blast
In Super Mario RPG, Geno would hold Y to charge up before raining down a stream of lights. In Smash, Geno can summon bolts of energy from the sky diagonally forward. If you hold down B, the number of bolts increases from 1 to 2 to 4. While it has limited uses in neutral on platform stages, it becomes a really strong edge-guarding tool against enemies recovering low.

Side Special: Geno Whirl
In Super Mario RPG, Geno launched a disk forward. If he followed up with a perfectly timed button press, the disk would deal 9,999 damage. I decided to aim for something a little softer - Geno’s whirl can fly straight-forward or at an angle. If it connects with an enemy or wall, the whirl will slow down and deal up to 3 weak hits that pull the character closer to you. At any time while the whirl is active, you can press B to detonate it and deal heavier damage. This is one of Geno’s most important tools in neutral that requires forward thinking to use effectively! You can choose to let the whirl fly and hope for a pull-in or rely on your timing to detonate for better damage.

Up Special: Rocket Launch
Geno’s Up-Special is Rocket Launch. Probably the simplest of his specials, Geno propels himself upwards, ending with a flip. Geno has slight left and right control and can fastfall right after the flip. The first hitbox is a soft meteor spike, and every hit afterwards pushes them sideways. You can press B during the animation to stop early - this will let Geno flip with the hitbox intact. The recovery itself is pretty vulnerable but the distance traveled is pretty substantial, so feel free to edge-guard deep if you know you’ll have time to recover safely.

Down Special: Cannonball
On the ground, Geno uses his “magic cannon powers” to launch himself upwards at an angle, which can be slightly influenced left or right. In the air, he can only launch himself downwards. While flying Geno can use any aerial A move. If he connects with an enemy while the jump button is held, he will bounce off. Geno can air-dodge out of Cannonball starting from the ground only. In the air, Cannonball can be cancelled with a ledgegrab. This is one of those “make sure you don’t miss” type of moves that can really be punished with sloppy aim.

Final Smash: Geno Beam & Geno Flash
Finally, Geno’s Final Smash is a combination of his signature moves – Geno Beam and Geno Flash! After charging three red stars, Geno fires Beam forward, then Flash upwards at an angle. Geno Beam is the first move the star soul has access to in the original games, so I wanted its inclusion to be special. Inversely, Geno Flash is one of Geno's last and most powerful moves - I didn't want to choose between them, so I added them both!

Other Moves:
Dash Attack: Geno Boost
In the original game, Geno Boost increased Geno’s Attack and Defense stats. For Smash, Boost instead buffs Geno’s speed for a bit and pushes him forward. Geno Boost can leave the ground; if the move finishes in the air, Geno has slightly less endlag.

More details to come soon, for now check these videos!

Last edited:

LavaLatte

Smash Cadet
Frequently Asked Questions!

Q: Can I use this mod for my own build (personal or public)?
A: Yes! Please do. If you find room somewhere to credit me, I'd appreciate it.

Q: Can I modify Geno at all if I use him in my build?
A: I encourage it! Everybody has their preferences and views on how Geno should look.

Q: How do I add this mod to Legacy XP? (Or any other pre-existing build?)
A: I'm not entirely sure, to be honest! The key is in the BrawlEx files - every build (that already has Geno) is coded to assign Geno a "BrawlEx ID", aka his slot number on the character roster. My pack, for example, has his BrawlEx files set to 54, meaning any build that has Geno at an ID of 54 in its coding will be able to use him with no issues.

If you can somehow access the "projectm > pf" folder in the SD card file, you have to rename all four BrawlEx files I give in the pack (Fighter54.dat, Cosmetic54.dat, CSSSlot54.dat, and Slot54.dat) and change the end number from "54" to "48", which I believe is the ID of Geno in Legacy. Paste all the files in the appropriate folders and that should work.

Q: B-But Geno never shot himself out of a cannon! He is the cannon!
A: He also is a magical star soul possessing a child's toy already equipped with slicing disks and gun pellets. I'm not exactly pushing the boundaries of his magic.

Last edited:

Flambo237

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Flambo237
LavaLatte, after years of Geno PSAs, we finally have the definitive version, thank you.

LavaLatte

Smash Cadet
LavaLatte, after years of Geno PSAs, we finally have the definitive version, thank you.
That's a huge compliment, thank you! A lot of the creativity can be attributed to my predecessors though, wouldn't have picked up this project without them :)

Geno Boost

Smash Master
i love your work so much i have been watching your videos since the beginning!!!
i have an idea can it L-load the old version of Geno? since they both play differently maybe someone could change the old version Geno model and give him his Mario & luigi superstar saga or Mario-kun manga design for the older version of him so we could have 2 different Genos.

Last edited:

LavaLatte

Smash Cadet
i love your work so much i have been watching your videos since the beginning!!!
i have an idea can it L-load the old version of Geno? since they both play differently maybe someone could change the old version Geno model and give him his Mario & luigi superstar saga or Mario-kun manga design for the older version of him so we could have 2 different Genos.
Thanks for following! I'm not familiar with either of those versions - do you mean a new model? I only do PSA and animation work, you'd have to call up some other people for that :)

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Thanks for following! I'm not familiar with either of those versions - do you mean a new model? I only do PSA and animation work, you'd have to call up some other people for that :)
I meant the version that was in legacy xp before you updated anything in the moveset what I meant by L-load is something like this http://youtu.be/IIbl6dHEr3A it allows to change a characters play style I saw that there was also one for Raichu and mega mewtwo Y and classic Ridley and warioman too
As for model I might actually do it in blender (except for the texture and skeleton because I am bad at it) but that's in the future because school is killing my time currently, people have asked me to do it before

Shren

Smash Journeyman
How can you replace Legacy TE:X's version with this version?

LavaLatte

Smash Cadet
How can you replace Legacy TE:X's version with this version?
I'm not entirely sure, to be honest! If you can somehow access the "projectm > pf" folder in the SD card file, you have to rename all four BrawlEx files I give in the pack (Fighter54.dat, Cosmetic54.dat, CSSSlot54.dat, and Slot54.dat) and change the end number from "54" to "48", which I believe is the ID of Geno in Legacy. Paste all the files in the appropriate folders and that should work.

Last edited:

Doodle99

Smash Rookie
I'm not entirely sure, to be honest! If you can somehow access the "projectm > pf" folder in the SD card file, you have to rename all four BrawlEx files I give in the pack (Fighter54.dat, Cosmetic54.dat, CSSSlot54.dat, and Slot54.dat) and change the end number from "54" to "48", which I believe is the ID of Geno in Legacy. Paste all the files in the appropriate folders and that should work.
I tried this and he just disappears from the CSS. If I only paste in the Fighter files and the module file then it either freezes or doesn't load.

RadicalMongoose

Smash Apprentice
Just wanted to drop in and say this is one of the most impressive move-set hacks I've seen in quite a while, I think a lot of people really like the old Geno PSA but we're all really happy to see it receive some much needed quality of life improvements.

LavaLatte

Smash Cadet
Is it possible to get it working over R.O.B.?
Not this version, no! The original version is over ROB, but the new projectiles are derivatives of Toon Link's arrow and boomerang - they cannot be made on the version over ROB.

I tried this and he just disappears from the CSS. If I only paste in the Fighter files and the module file then it either freezes or doesn't load.
Whoa, he straight up disappears? It's possible that 48 is not his BrawlEx ID then. You would have to figure that out first before replacing any files work.

Just wanted to drop in and say this is one of the most impressive move-set hacks I've seen in quite a while, I think a lot of people really like the old Geno PSA but we're all really happy to see it receive some much needed quality of life improvements.
Thanks man! The original version, animation-wise, is one of my favorite movesets. There was a ton of potential with just a little bit of cleaning. Glad you like it!

Lenoly

Smash Rookie
i tried to replace the files but geno then got replaced by waluigi. so i had two waluigis in CSS. I also tried to only replace the fighter files but i could not load into a match.

Doodle99

Smash Rookie
i tried to replace the files but geno then got replaced by waluigi. so i had two waluigis in CSS. I also tried to only replace the fighter files but i could not load into a match.
Yeah. I'm getting this now.
I also noticed that the original Legacy XP Fighter48.dat references "geno/FitGeno.pac" while yours references "geno/FitGENO.pac". Not really experienced with BrawlEX so I dunno if that would make a difference or not. I renamed the files to match that and it didn't seem to help.

LavaLatte

Smash Cadet
Yeah. I'm getting this now.
I also noticed that the original Legacy XP Fighter48.dat references "geno/FitGeno.pac" while yours references "geno/FitGENO.pac". Not really experienced with BrawlEX so I dunno if that would make a difference or not. I renamed the files to match that and it didn't seem to help.
I wish I could help further, but my computer has a hard time building an SD card for Legacy XP as of late, so I can't check myself. There's probably somebody who's done it successfully out there, you'd have to ask around!

Then, would it be possible to get it working over normal link?
I think it's definitely possible (with like 100 more hours of recoding), but what would be the point? With the advent of BrawlEx, Geno can have his own slot without overwriting Toon Link or Link.

Ayy, it's that one guy I know on the server. Fancy meeting you here. Ya know, I'm the KONO DIO DA! guy.
What's up dude? I'm guessing you're Dio :D

Lenoly

Smash Rookie
I dont have a solution for those who want to get this geno into Legacy XP but i think i found the reason why it does not work. Now, im not that big into moding but i think the problem lies within the .pac files. if you take a look at he screenshot you can see that within the pac files from legacy xp it refers to FitRobot while LavaLattes geno refers to FitToonlink.

Screen: https://img00.deviantart.net/28ef/i/2017/270/4/5/b_by_callum99-dborppj.png

Shren

Smash Journeyman
Plus replacing the Brawl EX files will point to a place that doesn't exist in the Select Character path since LXP/ LTE:X points to 72 and these files point to 108 or something.

Last edited:

Lenoly

Smash Rookie
alright i found a way to get this geno to work in the Legacy XP build. You have to download the version that would go over toonlink. Check the download link at the top for that. Then go to Super Smash Bros Legacy XP/LegacyXP/WBFS/Builder/LegacyXP/pf/fighter/toonlink and delete all the files, then put the the files from the download in there and build the Legacy XP wbfs like you would normally. Then ingame select toonlink and you will play as Lavalettes geno.
PS: if you still want to play as toonlink hold L in char select screen while you press start and you will play as toonlink with an alt costume
one more thing, you may want to copy a costume and rename it to FitToonLink10 before building the wbfs so that the game does not freeze when selecting the last costume or if "random" selects that costume

Last edited:

McMarth

Smash Cadet
Really enjoying this mod! Super polished stuff.

Question: Shouldn't Ness's down special be able to absorb Geno Blast?

LavaLatte

Smash Cadet
Really enjoying this mod! Super polished stuff.

Question: Shouldn't Ness's down special be able to absorb Geno Blast?
Since it was built off of Toon Link's arrow, I don't know if that's possible or I just forgot to code it haha. Good eye!

yosharioIII

Smash Apprentice
What you're playing in the release trailer, is it Legacy XP? I noticed Waluigi was in it. Also, if it is XP, how did you get Classic Ridley into it? I'd love to have the new Geno and Classic Ridley in Legacy XP.

LavaLatte

Smash Cadet
What you're playing in the release trailer, is it Legacy XP? I noticed Waluigi was in it. Also, if it is XP, how did you get Classic Ridley into it? I'd love to have the new Geno and Classic Ridley in Legacy XP.
It's a build called Cobalt Legacy! The build has those characters and a slightly modified version of my Geno.

CopynPasteKevin

Smash Cadet
NNID
CopynPaste
what are all the colors based off from? I know the pink one is Vivian from TTYD.

TheNiceGuy

Smash Rookie
It does not work when used in Super Smash Bros Infinite V3. Can you (or anyone) fixs that?
Well, he can't jump, the game freezes when he falls of the stage, and when he attacks the other player, they take 999% damage. You can try it out yourself. :( Let me know if you find a solution for this problem.

If used over Ness, Geno can jump and works more properly. However, all of his attacks does not work over Ness yet, though. Maybe you should make Geno playable over Ness. I would really appreciate that. :-) The up-charge and down-charge attack freezes the game, though. The neutral-special and side-special does too. But beside that, everything works like it should. Even the final smash works properly. :-) There is not much you have to change. You just have to make the up-charge attack and down-charge attack, and the neutral-special and the side-special function over Ness. That is all. :-D I think that making Geno playable over Ness requires less work than fixing the one over toon link. This is Super Smash Bros V3, not Project M.

TheNiceGuy

Smash Rookie
Hello? Will you make a playable version that works outside Project M? You can make it over toon link, or maybe over ness. I don't know. But please do it. You would please a lot of fans by doing so. Not all of us play Project M, you know. I would love to add him to the Super Smash Bros Infinite mod. You should check it out. ;)

Mallow4Smash

Smash Rookie
For smash Ultimate, if Geno get in I think Mallow could be a good echo.So for a Move set I looked at this mod for help.So here are my ideas for if mallow gets in echo smash.
JAB Froggie stick
DOWN TILT Thunder Bolt
UP TILT Arise My Child(He's just putting his hands up)
UP THROW Sticky Glove
FRONT AIR Lighting Bolt
BACK AIR ↑
SIDE SMASH Froggie Stick
UP SMASH Froggie Stick + Ribbit Stick
Neutral Special Thunder bolt
Side Special Shocker
Up Special Abandon pants(Like Bowser Juniors Abandon Ship)
Down Special fall
Final Smash STAR RAIN
If this is certain things missing that means its just the same move as Geno.
BTW this rocks my dude,keep up the good work

Lucia

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
shin#392
Is it possible to put this on project +?

Top Bottom