• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Late hit of DAir a spike?

GodofGrunts

Smash Rookie
NNID
god_ov
We all know that DAir is a meteor smash, but the late hitbox sends characters at an angle and the AI doesn't seem to be able to meteor cancel it from what I can tell.

I can't find any information on it though.

@GoomySmash @BillNyeTheSamusGuy do you have any insight on this?

Last edited:

Smash Journeyman
late hit of dair doesn't have a distinct hitbox, i'm pretty sure; according to http://ikneedata.com/calculator, both hitboxes of dair (both of which last during the whole "hit" of the move) have a 270 degree angle, aka straight down, which is meteor cancellable

Litt

Samus
Well he was reporting that they were not sent downward but rather at a slight angle

Litt

Samus
Why would the AI DI the late hit to form an angle of descent where all other hits they go straight down?

Bell Pepper

Smash Rookie
If you're not using 20XX, you should use 20XX to test this. Also I'm not 100% postivie about how/when you hit the AI but it looks like you're hitting it out of Firefox and when you UPB is interrupted you're unable to meteor cancel again for 40 frames. Same goes for jumping.
There was a thread on Reddit a while back about the specifics of meteor cancelling and how it works/how long you can be "locked out" of it.

Sadly I'm at work procrastinating way too much and don't have the time to dig around for it but if I can find it later today I'll post it here for you. I don't think the late hit of dair isn't a meteor, but more likely the CPU being unable to meteor cancel. Again I don't know if you're using 20xx or vanilla because you didn't specify but I hope that this helped a little bit

Edit: I hate my job
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/4ajyf1/i_looked_into_the_mechanics_of_meteor_canceling/

This is pretty long and really goes into how it works. I'm not going to sit here and claim that my idea is definitely what's going on, but based on the screenshot and your description this is my best guess.

Last edited:
Top Bottom