• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Late 20's... Is it Possible?

Imfrikinbad

Smash Cadet
I've always played a lot of Smash Bros. and I've played a ton of Melee but not really in a competitive setting. I'm in my late 20's.... is it too late for me to practice and get good enough to enter locals? Like I'm all for grinding, but is it even worth it? Would my feeble brain give me a chance at all?

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
Why do you describe yourself as feeble? If anything, your age and the life experience that comes with it would give you an advantage, I would think. However, allow me to share with you this video.
Furthermore, just having played the game a lot, even if not in a competitive setting, means that you already have a good feel for the game, which is a huge advantage over a true beginner. I don't have to remind you that you are in control of your own destiny, and anything is possible.

By the way, I see you main Marth. I love Melee Marth, haha.

Imfrikinbad

Smash Cadet
Why do you describe yourself as feeble? If anything, your age and the life experience that comes with it would give you an advantage, I would think. However, allow me to share with you this video.
Furthermore, just having played the game a lot, even if not in a competitive setting, means that you already have a good feel for the game, which is a huge advantage over a true beginner. I don't have to remind you that you are in control of your own destiny, and anything is possible.

By the way, I see you main Marth. I love Melee Marth, haha.
Marth is my guy. But I call myself feeble because it's scientifically proven that the reaction time of our brains significantly decrease around 30. Physically, older folks can't keep up with younger folks on the gamecube controller.

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
I love Omni. The dude is hilarious and makes some good videos.

Ok. The title of this thread is "Is it possible"? The answer is, of course, yes. Anything is possible.

Imfrikinbad

Smash Cadet
I love Omni. The dude is hilarious and makes some good videos.

Ok. The title of this thread is "Is it possible"? The answer is, of course, yes. Anything is possible.
Fair.... but is it possible? lol. I'm not sure it actually is. What's the oldest dude that's even gotten top 8? Is it ChuDat?

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
You know that most of the God's are in their late 20's, right? Most of them are almost 30.

Edit: For example, Mew2King is 29.

Last edited:

Akiak

Smash Ace
The peak for football players tends to be around 26... just so you know

Sounds like you have a pretty toxic perfectionist mentality, lots of people do though. It is actually toxic and bad and, most importantly, wrong tho.

Get that s- out of yr head and get on with it :)

Imfrikinbad

Smash Cadet
You know that most of the God's are in their late 20's, right? Most of them are almost 30.

Edit: For example, Mew2King is 29.
M2K has fallen off a lot. And to be fair he started playing pro when he was like 13, right? lol. I reckon I'll give it a shot, but again, I was looking for people around that age that could share their experience if they are just starting out in the Melee pro scene.

JulianFGC

Smash Rookie
26 here played melee as a kid, coming from traditional fighters, started to play melee/smash4 competitively since late september. i've been to 3 events haven't won a single game in tournament yet. i'm capable of doing techskill. i'm enjoying it. melee is great fun but everyone seems so good at the game. i think i will keep at it. wondering when i will finally beat someone in a tournament bracket.

edit: i actually i thought the same thing. Am i too old to catch up to the competitive scene? will i ever get as good as them? maybe my reactions are slow cause of age. i'm really enjoying melee though. if i stopped playing because of my age i'd lose the joy and excitement of playing the game. Every game in melee feels like an epic anime battle since the game is so fast pace.

Last edited:

DDRC

Smash Apprentice
You'll be fine. If you practice consistently and intelligently you can become a pretty decent player in no time. Age isn't a problem as a lot of top players are also around the same age as you are.

Top Bottom