• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Laptop Problem - Not Sure What To Do

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Link to original post: [drupal=887]Laptop Problem - Not Sure What To Do[/drupal]

I'm quite a technology buff if I may say so, but opinions from others are always greatly appreciated. Here's my situation...

I have a kick *** desktop, no problems there. It's kind of amazing lol.

However when it comes to laptops, I currently have 2. My good laptop is a 15" HP featuring a 2GHz Core Duo w/ 2GB of RAM and 80GB HD (ouch, I need more HD space). The laptop is like a lil over 2 years old and the screen is broken... It just stopped. Done. That's it. Replacing the screen is a lot of money. It's over $100 and has to be done through eBay. Ok so I guess around $130 or something isn't too much, but having to buy the part from eBay is sorta.... meh. I've bought plenty of things from eBay before, I've been using it for like 8 years or something lol. However I've never bought an open item/part that was this expensive (without some sort of guarantee), and these are generally sold as-is, since they're random parts from computers. I'm just sorta weary of the whole situation.

My other laptop, the one I used before my HP is a Compaq from years back. Oddly enough, I bought this laptop from eBay lol. The laptop has a 14" screen, Athlon XP 1400+ (or 1600+, I honestly forget lol, I upgraded it from a Duron 900MHz), 256MB of RAM, and 40GB HD. Yea, it's annoying, but I'm forced to use that for now. Oh yea, and it has 0 battery, it's completely dead. The frame (lol) you unplug it, it shuts off. The screen hinge is also incredibly weak so the screen flops around if you aren't careful. Needless to say, I'm annoyed with it.

So now I have to figure what to do... Go for it and fix my HP laptop and have a mid size laptop powerful enough to do whatever I want, or buy a new one. I've been really diggin' these new netbooks, such as the eeepc. These generally come in around $400-$500, which is very cheap for a laptop. It's so small (which is why I've been mentioning the screen sizes of my past laptops for a sense of comparison) and light, which would be awesome for taking to classes (I'm a college student), and they seem to be powerful enough to do everything I need it for. The biggest thing I need it for is video encoding, so I can take it to tourneys to record videos. Having a small laptop that can do that would be amazing. It also outperforms my old laptop in some ways with longer battery life and some have more hard drive space (and I could always use more HD space).

So then comes the final question in this predicament... Which model of netbook would I get? I'm almost sure I want the eeepc, the only thing stopping me would be the inclusion of a 3g card for verizon, which other netbooks can have put in internally, as I use the service sometimes. It's really not that important though. For the eeepc I definitely want the 10" screen model. It's small enough, and I do want to see what I'm doing lol. I don't care too much about the operating system as if it comes with Linux, I'm just gonna install XP on it myself anyway. The HD space is the biggest thing. As important HD space is to me, so is performance for video related things, which is very intensive on HD speed. Because of this, a Solid Snake State hard drive would make sense, but I've never used one personally. I'm not sure if their performance is that much better than a regular HD, and I know there is an eeepc with a 40GB solid state, which is pretty nice. Additionally, I can pop in a 32gb SD card for extra storage. However the standard HDs can be up to like 160GB. Uhg, I don't even know too many questions.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
yea i guess i should have added, I definitely dont want anything bigger than like a mid size laptop (15" around 6-7 pounds).

but theres no sense in buying a new mid size laptop when i could fix my other one. the debate was more to fix or to buy a netbook. plus, i rly dont have that much money...

Blooqkazoo

Smash Journeyman
I don't recall Alienware ever making a netbook.

I don't know. Go to Cnet or something.

Top Bottom