• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Laijin's return to melee! A short rant about why I am playing again.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Hello everyone! Wow, this forum has sure died a lot since the last time I was here. I'm returning to competitive melee. For those of you who care, read on! If not, then ignore this post or w/e.

Short Background about me for those who don't know me:
For those of you who know me, I miss you guys! For those of you who don't know me i'm Laijin, a super duper old school player who started playing competitive melee around late 2003 early 2004 down in Georgia.
I played there for several years before moving to Florida, where I lived for two years. I then moved to Maryland in 2010 and that is where I still am today.
I quit melee about roughly a year 1/2 ago, mostly because I started playing other fighting games more so(I've always played anime fighters like Guilty Gear and such, but GA and FL barely had any kind of community for it). I had pretty good success locally in vanilla MVC3, winning tournaments on occasion and beating prominent players. Despite my success in vanilla, I quit when Ultimate came out cause I hated it. Then I started playing League of Legends, racking up thousands of games in the course of a couple of years(For those of you who play, I was the 5th most played Riven player in S2). I was pretty addicted for awhile. That is all until the game started getting stale(even in S3) and Riot started to show just how much of a scumbag company they really are. There are quite a few scumbag companies in the gaming industry and I'd easily stick Riot Games as one of the most disgusting companies I've ever seen. On a side note before I end this short background rant, I'm currently playing DoTA 2 and I do feel like starting a team in a few months. If anyone else plays feel free to add me on steam, its ZeitKuppler.

Anyways. I started playing Young Link back in 05-06 or so and quickly found him to be easily the most fun character to me in the game. Without any videos or direction(The Smash Hub back in the day was reliable for videos pre-youtube, but not so much for Young Link content), I basically set out to learn this character as much as possible. Alongside me I had Smash Mac who showed me a ton of stuff, TRC who's play style is pretty similar to mine, Jash who convinced me that Young Link doesn't just have to run away and camp every match up and a few others.

And now for the point of this thread:
What made motivated me to start playing again was Armada's performance last weekend at Apex with Young Link. Armada is definitely easily one of the best players in the community. He's a pretty remarkable player. His Young Link is extremely solid and shows he understands the mechanics of the game very well. He's also a very smart player. My only issue with his Young Link is well...its basically bare bones. Its extremely un-technical. It reminded me exactly of how I played technique-wise back in like 07. Granted yes, he played the match up 100% correctly, but I could easily argue Young Link has much better pressure options than just throwing a bomb and running away. At least he could have re-grabbed the bomb to pressure HBox's Ness and give him less space to run around and toss out f-airs all day. Even though I'm complaining about his Y-Link, Armada is still way smarter player than I was and he played the match up 100% correctly. Anyways I won't rant too much about that. Armada reminded me of how much potential fun Young Link is to play and why I continued playing Melee for so long to begin with. I wanna show folks how awesome and fun this character really is :D

So as I return to playing tournaments again, I will for the most part only be using Young Link(except in doubles for the most part. I don't like him teams). And maybe i'll even get around to updating my super ancient guide that's stickied at the top of this board.

Anyways, you guys can use this thread to ask me questions about w/e. I'll share my knowledge with you. I'll also be a bit more active on this board. I'm here to support the community as much as I can and help growing young link players reach their potential :D

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
Premium
BRoomer
I'm gonna start recording matches again. Add my Young Link onto the oldschool pile. 8D

Top Bottom