• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lady Lyndis of Fire Emblem Fame For Smash! (Possible chance?)

Would you like Lyndis for Smash Switch?

• Total voters

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
Lyn is my most wanted FE character. Always has been. Add me to the list!

All stan for our Nintendo QUEENS.

At the risk of going off topic, I know twitter only allows 4 pics, but Medusa should definitely be up there. The original Kid Icarus villain deserves better.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
I wrote a moveset for Lyn many years ago--and looking back, it was total garbage. That said, I think I'll try mine hand at another one.

Lyn WOULD be unique among the Fire Emblem characters in that she would wield a bow for at least her neutral special. They could also take inspiration from her ninja incarnation in Fire Emblem Heroes. Basically, her playstyle could have a mix between sword fighting, archery, and debuff-inducing daggers. Mine favourite thing about Fire Emblem Fates was definitely the new debuff mechanic they introduced. So this would be a great way to represent this gimmick in Smash. In one moveset I'm currently working on, her down-special has her summon copies of herself--in reference to her critical animation in Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword.

At this point, I'm not expecting another Fire Emblem character period. Especially given the silly backlash caused by Byleth's reveal. That said, if a new Smash game ever did get made, I could see Lyn getting added. I think a Smash game with a smaller roster (around Melee's size) that focuses more on balancing would be a refreshing addition. Any cut fighter could return as an Assist Trophy.

Speaking of Fire Emblem Fates, this song sounds VERY similar to the final map theme in Conquest. I wonder if the composer took inspiration from it. Wouldn't surprise me, since the lyrics fit the Conquest plotline perfectly.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Lyn should honestly just be based around her FE7 appearance, leave Heroes out of this. If Ike can't get the Ragnell ranged attack, or Urvan his father's axe in say his Smash attacks, don't expect Lyn with daggers. A bow would work, but is hardly original thanks to Byleth.

amageish

Smash Master
I doubt Lyn would have an especially FEH-based moveset, but I definitely could see it having some influences somewhere, at least.

Her Brave form could make for a cool alt, given how its the most... canonically grounded, so to speak. They also could potentially have some extra modelling time with her AT model and Warriors model to potentially build off of... Alternatively, I could maybe see her Resplendent outfit if they wanted to make a more explicit FEH nod? I doubt her Valentines/Bridal/Swimsuit/Ninja-BFF-With-Florina stuff would come into play though.

That said, given how much Smash likes its meme lines, I think the Persona-3-Fuuka-meme turned Fire-Emblem-Heroes-Lyn meme would probably make an appearance somewhere.

THE ENEMY

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice
I wrote a moveset for Lyn many years ago--and looking back, it was total garbage. That said, I think I'll try mine hand at another one.

Lyn WOULD be unique among the Fire Emblem characters in that she would wield a bow for at least her neutral special. They could also take inspiration from her ninja incarnation in Fire Emblem Heroes. Basically, her playstyle could have a mix between sword fighting, archery, and debuff-inducing daggers. Mine favourite thing about Fire Emblem Fates was definitely the new debuff mechanic they introduced. So this would be a great way to represent this gimmick in Smash. In one moveset I'm currently working on, her down-special has her summon copies of herself--in reference to her critical animation in Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword.

At this point, I'm not expecting another Fire Emblem character period. Especially given the silly backlash caused by Byleth's reveal. That said, if a new Smash game ever did get made, I could see Lyn getting added. I think a Smash game with a smaller roster (around Melee's size) that focuses more on balancing would be a refreshing addition. Any cut fighter could return as an Assist Trophy.

Speaking of Fire Emblem Fates, this song sounds VERY similar to the final map theme in Conquest. I wonder if the composer took inspiration from it. Wouldn't surprise me, since the lyrics fit the Conquest plotline perfectly.

Why would they add Lyn specifically if a smaller roster would take place? Putting aside cut talk (which is awful) I would believe that any existing characters would be in priority before another character from the same franchise is added - and lyn will always face competition from the newest entry.

Plus it's not like Lyn is the de facto "face" of FE - the existing FE characters in smash are iconic enough that even if lyn may be "slightly" more popular than any of them, it's not like there's a rush to add her solely on the basis of her popularity.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Why would they add Lyn specifically if a smaller roster would take place? Putting aside cut talk (which is awful) I would believe that any existing characters would be in priority before another character from the same franchise is added - and lyn will always face competition from the newest entry.

Plus it's not like Lyn is the de facto "face" of FE - the existing FE characters in smash are iconic enough that even if lyn may be "slightly" more popular than any of them, it's not like there's a rush to add her solely on the basis of her popularity.
The logic is that a smaller roster would place greater emphasis on which popular FE characters to add then whoever is the most recent, which infamously garnered controversy in Corrin and Byleth. From a cost-perspective porting over a character that was already in and adjusting them is easier, but in cases where there are cuts, that sometimes doesn't pan out (ex: Lucario getting in over Mewtwo in Brawl). Regardless, she would always compete with the latest FE character anyways.

So who knows. Lyn is to date the only FE character with a figure developed internally by IS, so she has to be at least somewhat popular.

amageish

Smash Master
I don't think Lyn would be a sure thing if they were to reboot Smash at this point, but I do think she'd be a fairly safe bet if they were to, like, make Super Smash Kart or some other Nintendo crossover project where they had to assemble a crossover cast from scratch.

She won the first Choose Your Legends in FEH for most popular FE character overall... Intelligent Systems particularly asked her to be put into Fire Emblem Warriors in spite of her not coming from the worlds the games focused on, with the producer noting that "Lyn is to foreigners as Marth is to the Japanese."

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice
The logic is that a smaller roster would place greater emphasis on which popular FE characters to add then whoever is the most recent, which infamously garnered controversy in Corrin and Byleth. From a cost-perspective porting over a character that was already in and adjusting them is easier, but in cases where there are cuts, that sometimes doesn't pan out (ex: Lucario getting in over Mewtwo in Brawl). Regardless, she would always compete with the latest FE character anyways.

So who knows. Lyn is to date the only FE character with a figure developed internally by IS, so she has to be at least somewhat popular.
That is based on the assumption that we'll be seeing a smaller roster when every single smash game has always expanded its roster greatly (even through there are "cuts", something that sakurai actively tries to avoid doing so). I also take issue with the argument that "cutting for more popular characters is a zero-sum game" - we've seen it with lucario/mewtwo where, M2 was in development before being scrapped, which indicated that neither "competed" against each other for a slot. And understandingly so, since what's the point of removing things that already has existing animations/model references to rely on?
I don't doubt lyn's popularity, but we've had multiple figures before (lucina, corrin, edelgard figmas, sakura/chrom/caeda and even cordelia/tharja/camila set pieces). And IS definitely had input there so it's not like lyn's concept art is anything special.

Personally? Lyn would be cool, but i have my personal misgivings that sakurai will kick out Corrin/Byleth (who are actually decently popular, despite the vocal complaints) for her anytime soon even for future games. He most likely believes the AT is good enough.

I don't think Lyn would be a sure thing if they were to reboot Smash at this point, but I do think she'd be a fairly safe bet if they were to, like, make Super Smash Kart or some other Nintendo crossover project where they had to assemble a crossover cast from scratch.

She won the first Choose Your Legends in FEH for most popular FE character overall... Intelligent Systems particularly asked her to be put into Fire Emblem Warriors in spite of her not coming from the worlds the games focused on, with the producer noting that "Lyn is to foreigners as Marth is to the Japanese."
Isn't Marth/Chrom largely considered to be the safe face of the franchise? Both of them have been pushed in various crossovers (marth's iconography was shown in KSS and showcased in DL, while the former was in PXZ2/MH/DL as well).
While i don't doubt lyn's popularity (as mentioned above), i doubt that the difference between her and the other characters in smash are that huge that it singlehandly warrants her inclusion - especially when she'd need to be a unique character by herself (and even ike beat her if you count in both PoR and RD votes). We've seen it happen for 3 games straight (Ike for brawl, Robin/Corrin for 4 and Byleth for ultimate) so i'll always remain sceptical of her chances.

Shame through. It would be good to have more canon female representation other than lucina and she's pretty cool.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
That is based on the assumption that we'll be seeing a smaller roster when every single smash game has always expanded its roster greatly (even through there are "cuts", something that sakurai actively tries to avoid doing so). I also take issue with the argument that "cutting for more popular characters is a zero-sum game" - we've seen it with lucario/mewtwo where, M2 was in development before being scrapped, which indicated that neither "competed" against each other for a slot. And understandingly so, since what's the point of removing things that already has existing animations/model references to rely on?
I don't doubt lyn's popularity, but we've had multiple figures before (lucina, corrin, edelgard figmas, sakura/chrom/caeda and even cordelia/tharja/camila set pieces). And IS definitely had input there so it's not like lyn's concept art is anything special.

Personally? Lyn would be cool, but i have my personal misgivings that sakurai will kick out Corrin/Byleth (who are actually decently popular, despite the vocal complaints) for her anytime soon even for future games. He most likely believes the AT is good enough.
Yeah, it is based on an assumption, it's a hypothetical he made up.

No one here is even remotely presuming about what Smash 6 holds for its roster size or its character pick philosophy. In this "If X, then Y" hypothetical, you're arguing against the X when no one would disagree with any of the statements you've made about Lyn's chances for actually making it in. Everyone here knows her chances of ever escaping AT Hell or close to nil.

I will say though:
but we've had multiple figures before (lucina, corrin, edelgard figmas, sakura/chrom/caeda and even cordelia/tharja/camila set pieces). And IS definitely had input there so it's not like lyn's concept art is anything special.
I'm referring to Lyn's figure because to contrast those other figures, those were made at the height of those games' popularity (ex: Edelgard's figma was released 2 days after the release date of FE3H), while Lyn's figure was announced 17 years after game's release, with an accompanying redesign from the original artist, Wada.

That's a pretty big exception to how they've been doing figures thus far. Doesn't mean anything for her Smash chances, just an acknowledgement by IS of her popularity.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TL;DR: If Nintendo/Sakurai ever decided to pick a character who didn't come from the latest FE game, a big if that no one here legitimately believes is feasible, then Lyn's chances would be decent.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Isn't Marth/Chrom largely considered to be the safe face of the franchise? Both of them have been pushed in various crossovers (marth's iconography was shown in KSS and showcased in DL, while the former was in PXZ2/MH/DL as well).
While i don't doubt lyn's popularity (as mentioned above), i doubt that the difference between her and the other characters in smash are that huge that it singlehandly warrants her inclusion - especially when she'd need to be a unique character by herself (and even ike beat her if you count in both PoR and RD votes). We've seen it happen for 3 games straight (Ike for brawl, Robin/Corrin for 4 and Byleth for ultimate) so i'll always remain sceptical of her chances.

Shame through. It would be good to have more canon female representation other than lucina and she's pretty cool.
Marth is definitely the face of the franchise, which is why I think a Fire Emblem producer calling Lyn his western equivalent is important?

That said, yes, Chrom and Lucina are also definitely big players - and, with Three Houses being the new best-selling game in the franchise by a fairly large margin, I imagine Byleth will be used more and more in the future as well.

I do not expect Lyn to get into Smash Bros unless there is some corporate benefit to doing so (i.e., if they remake FE7 and she's therefore relevant beyond just being in Heroes and being popular). My point was more just that she is someone who has become a core part of the FE brand, as reflected by their shoehorning her into spin-off games which she doesn't logically belong in. I doubt that's enough to get her into Smash Bros at this stage; I do think she'd be pretty high in the pecking order if they were making a new Nintendo crossover from scratch though, be it a Kart or a Party or what-have-you.

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, it is based on an assumption, it's a hypothetical he made up.

No one here is even remotely presuming about what Smash 6 holds for its roster size or its character pick philosophy. In this "If X, then Y" hypothetical, you're arguing against the X when no one would disagree with any of the statements you've made about Lyn's chances for actually making it in. Everyone here knows her chances of ever escaping AT Hell or close to nil.

I will say though:

I'm referring to Lyn's figure because to contrast those other figures, those were made at the height of those games' popularity (ex: Edelgard's figma was released 2 days after the release date of FE3H), while Lyn's figure was announced 17 years after game's release, with an accompanying redesign from the original artist, Wada.

That's a pretty big exception to how they've been doing figures thus far. Doesn't mean anything for her Smash chances, just an acknowledgement by IS of her popularity.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TL;DR: If Nintendo/Sakurai ever decided to pick a character who didn't come from the latest FE game, a big if that no one here legitimately believes is feasible, then Lyn's chances would be decent.
Ok cool. It's good to know we more or less agree on the stated points. I'm not sure what you're referring to through regarding my assumption/hypothetical - is it about the roster makeup in future games?

Marth is definitely the face of the franchise, which is why I think a Fire Emblem producer calling Lyn his western equivalent is important?

That said, yes, Chrom and Lucina are also definitely big players - and, with Three Houses being the new best-selling game in the franchise by a fairly large margin, I imagine Byleth will be used more and more in the future as well.

I do not expect Lyn to get into Smash Bros unless there is some corporate benefit to doing so (i.e., if they remake FE7 and she's therefore relevant beyond just being in Heroes and being popular). My point was more just that she is someone who has become a core part of the FE brand, as reflected by their shoehorning her into spin-off games which she doesn't logically belong in. I doubt that's enough to get her into Smash Bros at this stage; I do think she'd be pretty high in the pecking order if they were making a new Nintendo crossover from scratch though, be it a Kart or a Party or what-have-you.
Your initial point was moreso about lyn's chances in a hypothetical nintendo crossover separate from smash - in which despite the quotes the devs have consistently went for the latter when it comes to greater exposure outside of their games. Actions speak louder than words here -
heck, even for recent merchandising drives they made bags/watches based on Ike/Chrom/Byleth's iconology , marth/ike being on the forefront of their expo posters and even the recent anniversary poster didn't exactly showcase lyn in the front of the poster. A single figure doesn't indicate that she's suddenly first billing for any FE crossovers.

Honestly? I think lyn is getting much more push but i would call it a stretch to presume she's at the forefront brand of FE (the overall face is still marth and he's not even my biggest favourite).

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Ok cool. It's good to know we more or less agree on the stated points. I'm not sure what you're referring to through regarding my assumption/hypothetical - is it about the roster makeup in future games?
What are you confused about?
I just made 2 points:
Altais made a hypothetical in which Lyn's chances are greater than zero and there's no need to clarify that that hypothetical is unlikely.
and
Lyn's figure has far different circumstances regarding its creation compared to the other figures.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Your initial point was moreso about lyn's chances in a hypothetical nintendo crossover separate from smash - in which despite the quotes the devs have consistently went for the latter when it comes to greater exposure outside of their games. Actions speak louder than words here -
heck, even for recent merchandising drives they made bags/watches based on Ike/Chrom/Byleth's iconology , marth/ike being on the forefront of their expo posters and even the recent anniversary poster didn't exactly showcase lyn in the front of the poster. A single figure doesn't indicate that she's suddenly first billing for any FE crossovers.

Honestly? I think lyn is getting much more push but i would call it a stretch to presume she's at the forefront brand of FE (the overall face is still marth and he's not even my biggest favourite).
Those are all true - and, like, it is a JRPG franchise with many different characters with many different fans, so I'm not surprised.

That said, I also don't think it's entirely fair to say that actions are speaking louder then words when those examples are all Japanese merch and events. It is true that, in Japan, Lyn is basically just another lord - still a popular one, but another lord. The statement is that she's more then that internationally, which they have acknowledged through her special treatment in international things like Warriors and Heroes.

Marth is definitely the main face, which I'm not trying to argue against, and Lyn is not my favourite character either - in fact, honestly, she's probably my 5th favourite lord? And would barely crack my top 20 favourite FE characters overall... - but she's still central to the brand internationally. Not the face, but still central to it.

Granted, thinking about it more, if we're thinking about a Smash Kart in particular, then there could be other factors in roster selection and they may just prioritize mounted units... So... Uh... Caeda for Smash Kart, I guess?

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
What are you confused about?
I just made 2 points:
Altais made a hypothetical in which Lyn's chances are greater than zero and there's no need to clarify that that hypothetical is unlikely.
and
Lyn's figure has far different circumstances regarding its creation compared to the other figures.
or there aren't different circumstances at all and Lyn's figure is as a result of upcoming elibe remake

Lyn isn't "central to the brand" because aside from Marth FE games are branded on a game by game basis. You'll never see Alm in promotional material for Three Houses or Fates because it doesn't make sense to do that. Even Ike, as popular as he is, isn't "central to the brand", he's just a fan favourite, same as Lyn.

In the case of Elibe remake, though, you can bet she'll be front and center for that, and in the case that it's viable for Smash, she'd be chosen as the representative to promote the game.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
or there aren't different circumstances at all and Lyn's figure is as a result of upcoming elibe remake

Lyn isn't "central to the brand" because aside from Marth FE games are branded on a game by game basis. You'll never see Alm in promotional material for Three Houses or Fates because it doesn't make sense to do that. Even Ike, as popular as he is, isn't "central to the brand", he's just a fan favourite, same as Lyn.

In the case of Elibe remake, though, you can bet she'll be front and center for that, and in the case that it's viable for Smash, she'd be chosen as the representative to promote the game.
I mean, that's also fair. I probably shouldn't have said "brand." The only super reoccuring character is Anna, and she's more like Patty from DQ if anything...

My point was more that Lyn's still being put in places she doesn't belong though, which they are doing are they think she has a unique value as a character for western audiences which has been directly compared to the value of their "mascot," if we're willing to call Marth a "mascot" when that term probably doesn't quite fit...

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Well I'm not arguing anything is "central to the brand" whatever that means or whatever you might define it to be. I'm just saying IS does acknowledge her popularity within the fanbase. We can argue all day about what "constitutes" as core parts of a game's brand, especially one that mixes things up so very often, but for now, we can all agree Lyn's popular. That shouldn't be controversial.

And let's hold our horses on remakes that don't even exist yet, especially one that would skip Genealogy, Thracia, and Binding Blade. Cool as it'd be, I think it's not quite a stretch to presume this is all some sort of foreshadowing for a big "FE7 remake" push.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Well I'm not arguing anything is "central to the brand" whatever that means or whatever you might define it to be. I'm just saying IS does acknowledge her popularity within the fanbase. We can argue all day about what "constitutes" as core parts of a game's brand, especially one that mixes things up so very often, but for now, we can all agree Lyn's popular. That shouldn't be controversial.

And let's hold our horses on remakes that don't even exist yet, especially one that would skip Genealogy, Thracia, and Binding Blade. Cool as it'd be, I think it's not quite a stretch to presume this is all some sort of foreshadowing for a big "FE7 remake" push.
Well I don't think they're skipping binding blade. I said elibe remakes because I'm pretty sure they're doing both.

We already know that they don't go by order when deciding what to remake, as well. Gaiden was only picked because the director liked it, not because "that was next in line". And in the first place, Gaiden got skipped in favour of Mystery anyway. There's no reason to expect them to go in order, especially in favour of Jugdral, which sold the worst out of the franchise.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well I don't think they're skipping binding blade. I said elibe remakes because I'm pretty sure they're doing both.

We already know that they don't go by order when deciding what to remake, as well. Gaiden was only picked because the director liked it, not because "that was next in line". And in the first place, Gaiden got skipped in favour of Mystery anyway. There's no reason to expect them to go in order, especially in favour of Jugdral, which sold the worst out of the franchise.
Jugdral makes a lot of sense to remake precisely because it sold so poorly. You have what's usually considered one of the best games in the series, that very few people have played? That's ripe for remaking imo, practically a new game for most people.

With Elibe the number of people who played it, or at least FE7, is much higher, so I think it makes sense to let more time pass.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Last edited:

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Anyone see Mythra's photon edge in smash and think, "that's exactly how one of lyn's moves would be"? Sakurai says he likes to buy figures and use some for reference so now when that lyn figure finally comes out he might add that to his collection. I always wondered how'd they'd handle her teleports when slashing, now I see how. Now all we need is little afterimages and it's set. I know this may be a necrobump but I just had to say this here, I thought it was really neat.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

2003 "Fire Emblem" released today !! Lindis appeared. Fuin's sword. Rekkaken. Overseas, this was the first release of "FE", so there was no subtitle. It seems that "FE Heroes" has a subtitle "The Blazing Blade". #Smash Bros SP

Quillion

Smash Hero
Anyone see Mythra's photon edge in smash and think, "that's exactly how one of lyn's moves would be"? Sakurai says he likes to buy figures and use some for reference so now when that lyn figure finally comes out he might add that to his collection. I always wondered how'd they'd handle her teleports when slashing, now I see how. Now all we need is little afterimages and it's set. I know this may be a necrobump but I just had to say this here, I thought it was really neat.
I was just thinking this myself.

Question is: how can they differentiate Mythra and Lyn?

Quillion

Smash Hero
Lyn's sword style consists of quickdraws and resheathes, so she wouldn't be any more similar to Mythra than Marth is.
That would make Lyn rather laggy, and I think everyone agrees that Lyn needs to be a speedster.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
...Lyn fighting like Lyn would make her laggy? Do I need to post Vergil combo videos or something? This isn't Shulk who keeps his sword on his back without even keeping a ready neutral stance, this is a character always ready to draw and attack in a single motion. At worst, she has some lengthy resheathes to balance out strong fast attacks.

Top Bottom