• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lady Lyndis of Fire Emblem Fame For Smash! (Possible chance?)

Would you like Lyndis for Smash Switch?

• Total voters

Roberk

Smash Champion
Hey all!

Sorry, I haven't been updating the Supporter List, College has just been a huge thing in my life at the moment. Consider that updated!

But! To get this ball rolling again, now that we're a decent ways through 2018 and FE Switch still being a major unknown, how do we still feel about Lyndis's chances now compared to whenever we were last talking.
Nintendo just released their annual financial report and FE Switch is still slated for a 2018 release. However, I still feel that Lyn is one of the most likely of all Smash newcomers still. Assist Trophy promotion, Marth to the West, most popular single FE character, featured in Heroes and Warriors, Lyn has a really good shot.

Also, FE Warriors shipped 1,000,000 units, so that can only mean good things if they were satisfied with the game's sales a few months ago.

EDIT: shipped, not sold.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Technically it shipped a million copies; they didn't say sold a million copies in any press releases.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Good Points all around.

With Fire Emblem Switch set to release this year with no other delays (according to a financial report from Nintendo), it seems likely that it will get a Fall or Holiday release. So, depending on when Smash Switch gets announced, the protagonist of that title will either be base roster or DLC. But still too much is still unknown about that game to even call that yet.

Aside from the 16th Protagonist, there are only a handful of other characters to put into the new smash game. Lyndis, Hector, Celica, or Ephraim.

Hector and Ephraim, while being popular in their own right with unique playstyles, lack relevance that Celica and Lyn have been given recently.

Both Celica and Lyn have great chances, but I think Celica comes up short when it comes to her moveset. Robin has the 'sword and magic' niche covered with their playstyle. So unless they want to focus Celica to be pure Magic, I see her having less of a chance on the whole.

Lyn, while having her own moveset troubles, still brings a lot with her swordplay that could make her different in people's eyes. So It all comes down to how they want to play it.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Good Points all around.

With Fire Emblem Switch set to release this year with no other delays (according to a financial report from Nintendo), it seems likely that it will get a Fall or Holiday release. So, depending on when Smash Switch gets announced, the protagonist of that title will either be base roster or DLC. But still too much is still unknown about that game to even call that yet.

Aside from the 16th Protagonist, there are only a handful of other characters to put into the new smash game. Lyndis, Hector, Celica, or Ephraim.

Hector and Ephraim, while being popular in their own right with unique playstyles, lack relevance that Celica and Lyn have been given recently.

Both Celica and Lyn have great chances, but I think Celica comes up short when it comes to her moveset. Robin has the 'sword and magic' niche covered with their playstyle. So unless they want to focus Celica to be pure Magic, I see her having less of a chance on the whole.

Lyn, while having her own moveset troubles, still brings a lot with her swordplay that could make her different in people's eyes. So It all comes down to how they want to play it.
I'm predicting Smash to be released in September to sell the online service, but it might be closer to the holiday season. FE16 could do well in the XC2 December slot if Smash isn't some sort of mid to late November release.

Hector maybe because he won CYL 2 and placed 3rd in CYL 1, almost beating Roy. But not the same oomph as Lyn's immense popularity. I don't see Ephraim making it in due to irrelevance and most popularity from placing second in CYL 2.

It's really between Lyn and Celica, but Celica's popularity could be a flash in the pan from a release just a year ago. While that recent release is her greatest benefit is raises the question if she'd stand the test of time like Lyn's popularity carrying over for 14 years into winning CYL 1 without any Smash playability. I don't feel like Lyn's sword moveset would be to bad if Sakurai got creative, she can use her bow and we don't have any katanas in the game yet. Another great part of Lyn is her aethstetic compared to other FE characters, with the green dress/hair and nomad style. If we got a newcomer other than FE16 lord (which is almost guaranteed by this point) I'd be banking on Lyn.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
I'm predicting Smash to be released in September to sell the online service, but it might be closer to the holiday season. FE16 could do well in the XC2 December slot if Smash isn't some sort of mid to late November release.

Hector maybe because he won CYL 2 and placed 3rd in CYL 1, almost beating Roy. But not the same oomph as Lyn's immense popularity. I don't see Ephraim making it in due to irrelevance and most popularity from placing second in CYL 2.

It's really between Lyn and Celica, but Celica's popularity could be a flash in the pan from a release just a year ago. While that recent release is her greatest benefit is raises the question if she'd stand the test of time like Lyn's popularity carrying over for 14 years into winning CYL 1 without any Smash playability. I don't feel like Lyn's sword moveset would be to bad if Sakurai got creative, she can use her bow and we don't have any katanas in the game yet. Another great part of Lyn is her aethstetic compared to other FE characters, with the green dress/hair and nomad style. If we got a newcomer other than FE16 lord (which is almost guaranteed by this point) I'd be banking on Lyn.
Definitely.

I general hope of mine is that they move away from the idea that Characters can only use what's iconic to their image and what they're known for in Smash when it comes to decide on their moveset potential. If this is a 4.5 version of Smash, then I really hope they take some time to rework some of the clones/semi-clones of the last game to be more of their own characters.

Also, if they do decide on keeping Lyn as an Assist Trophy, I hope they give her a better model than the last two times and change her voice up. Not sure f I can handle another Old Lady Lyn.

Roberk

Smash Champion
YOOOO. Get hecked Takumi.

I had a very small feeling recently of "the legendary bow could be Lyn."

Not feeling too great about Laws of Sacae since she's a ranged unit with no close counter, but we'll see. Definitely not as good as Sacae's blessing though.

Edit: Marth fans on suicide watch.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
OK I'm getting my hopes up a little. IS really seems to be pushing Lyn. I don't want to get too excited though.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Ok, Lyn is getting realistic. I stopped believing she could reach Smash because she's been noticeably neglected but things are changing.

Edgelord_197

Smash Cadet
If she doesn't come in base, then she might come as DLC. That is, if Sakurai doesn't add anymore FE
It's also hilarious that she has 5 alts and Marth has one

David James

Smash Cadet
The good thing about the fe community, is that we coyld rqlly supporters very quickly on social media and garner support that way. If their is another smash poll we could do that.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
So, let's talk about Lyn's chances for a bit.
Obviously IS has been pushing her ever since the first CYL which was around March 2017; she won that and also appeared in FE Warriors. But we know Smash 5 started development in 2016 thanks to Sakurai's toy robot purchase and Famitsu columns. Unless Lyn was already considered in some capacity a la Chrom and Robin before Chrom was dropped she wouldn't be on the finalized roster. For her to stand a good chance, IS would have to put her name as a character they'd be willing to have in Smash. This would probably be during Sakurai's pre-development lookaround for upcoming games etc. The only real indicators that would show Lyn is popular prior to CYL would be the character ballot results complementing her appearance as an assist trophy, and possibly IS planning for Bride Lyn as one of their early alts for FEH which likely would've been in planning.

tl;dr 2017 onwards happenings don't reflect too well on Lyn's chances unless IS was prescient of her popularity. I think she definitely could've been shortlisted alongside Celica/potential FE16 rep and if she wasn't scrapped they could've decided fully on her after the CYL results. Otherwise it might be too late.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
It's ****ing hilarious seeing FE Heroes fans starting to treat Lyn like Smash fans have been treating FE.

D

Deleted member

Tbh even if Lyn doesn't make it into the base game I think she stands a good shot at DLC, even with competition from FE16's lord. She's super popular and thrown into starring roles in everything Fire Emblem can cram her in because of it. All the craze for Lyn makes her a character that is far better at representing Fire Emblem as a whole than a character solely put in to promote FE16, especially after the backlash to Corrin's inclusion as DLC (even though I love her). While FE16's lord will most likely fade into the background over time, Lyn's everlasting popularity and constant promotion through FE's growing love of spinoffs like Warriors and Heroes make her a far better candidate in the long term, especially if an FE6+7 Echoes is in IS's backlog. It's not like she wouldn't be unique either, as a fast Eastern swordplay style isn't something we have in Smash. If that's not enough, there's also a substantial chance she'd be a dual wielding sword character with a bow and afterimages to supplement her specials.

Roberk

Smash Champion
I was already feeling really good about Lyn's chances, but I think this just about cements it. I know that the 2017 CYL poll was after the initial project outline in 2016, but that's not going to stop IS from going to Sakurai saying "hey this character is by far the most popular FE character and she isn't even in Smash, put her in." They did it with Warriors when it was already late in development, they can do it with Sakurai mid development.

Lyn now has more alts than Marth, Ike, Lucina, Corrin, and Roy in Heroes and that says a lot about her overall popularity and IS's confidence in her. A big thing with IS is confidence in a character, that's why 40% of Heroes is Fateswakening and 90% of Warriors is Fateswakening. Lyn is someone IS can be confident in adding to Smash because of her popularity's ability to stand the test of time and not just be a flash in the pan FE lord.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Good points all around.

Let me offer another trail of thought. Let's say that this Smash is just an enhanced version of Smash 4 rather than building up a roster from the ground up. So, not going through the usual means of roster selection and just adding in characters that either fans want or teams want to push, does that up Lyn's chances of being picked or lower them?

Roberk

Smash Champion
Her chances would skyrocket if it's based on what IS wants to push and character popularity. She's been pushed in Heroes and Warriors, she'll be pushed in Smash. It would be hard to compete with what Smash fans in general want, but Lyn is both popular, pushed, and realistic.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I have a feeling that Lyn's outstanding popularity in recent years as well as Roy's resurgence in Smash 4 and Heroes are going to prompt IS to do a FE6 + FE7 remake in the next couple of years. I know I'd buy it; I've been waiting forever for Binding Blade to get updated and localized. I beat it on emu years ago, but I'd love to see an official localization with Ray Chase voicing Roy.

Roberk

Smash Champion
I think an Elibe remake would take a while. They still have to go through the Jugdral games and it's hard to say if they will combine the 2-part games like Jugdral, Elibe, and Tellius so it might take longer.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
It is hilarious how poor Marth keeps getting the short end of the stick when it comes to Heroes content, they even split him into two options for the CYL polls which keep screwing him from the top. While Ike, Lucina, Roy, Robin, Corrin to an extent and Lyn keep getting a lot of love. I think IS is definitely going to push for Lyn to make it into SSB5, we need that eastern swordsmanship.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Its also important to note, Lyn's explicit clothes isn't a problem anymore. Haha

RosaPeach

Smash Journeyman
Lyn might be the next FE character that will be added in smash 5. But really will hurt her chances with the new FE16 Lord get announce when ever. I dont think so Sakurai loves the FE franchise he wont cut anyone and he'll probably will add two more FE characters thats my prediction.

Amazon Pandora

Smash Rookie
Isn't Navarre Sakurai's favorite character? He can easily put he wanted for him on Lyn. All that leaves is if IS wants her playable, also another thing to note, a lot of people keep saying that her first note of popularity was 2017 and it would be to late etc., but it was actually 2015 in a famitsu column.

Sakurai would have seen this since it was FE's 20th anniversary (he attended the concert too I believe). 2017 is when her popularity was solidified. As prior to this, she had no proof of her popularity, and yet still got an assist trophy appearance in brawl, just shows that she is also important (first lord in the west) and so it isn't just her recent popularity resurgence that would get her upgraded.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Anyone have ideas on how her moveset/specials/gimmick could set her apart from other FE sword users?
Gimmick: Sheath/Unsheath ("critical hit"). Lyn starts with her sword sheathed, but keeps it unsheathed for 5~ seconds after a sword attack. If she doesn't attack again in this time, she sheathes her sword. Attacks that unsheathe have increased killing power; more knockback, sweetspots are more pronounced, Smash attacks are exponentially stronger. This creates a rhythm and anticipation where you want to rack up damage, then when you think you can get a KO you want to stay away and prepare for a killing blow, while also letting your opponent know that if you miss you'll be far easier to approach. Lyn's neutral stances are based off her Lord animation (when her sword is sheathed) and her Sol Katti Blade Lord animations (where she holds the sword out in front of her) to indicate whether her next attack is a crit or not.

Mulagir, Neutral B: Arrows have a windbox around them. 1 in 6 chance of her twirling an arrow before firing, signifying a critical hit (like Luigi's misfires). When fired in mid-air, she does a flip and the arrow has a 5 degree lower trajectory (moving toward the stage rather than parallel) like in Project M.
Down B: Instead of a counter, Lyn only strikes if you manage to 'predict' an attack rather than being struck by one. If landed correctly, you dart past the opponent and strike them. Otherwise, you're vulnerable for some time. Avoids grabs, but doesn't counter them.

David James

Smash Cadet
I think she should fire quickly or with an arc, maybe fire multiple arrows when charged.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Please add me to the support list.

By the way, does anyone remember the leaked concept arts for Lyn in Project M?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am here to show my loyalty. I would be more than excited to see Lyn in Smash Bros., as she has ever lasting popularity it seems. And in a way, that's similar to how Ike managed to stay relevant. So if we get Ike, Roy and Lyn as "ever lasting popular" characters in Smash, it wouldn't seem like a bad idea at all. Eventually, all are gonna be relevant anyway as IS has expressed wanting to make more games like Echoes, and Heroes and Warriors will continue on anyway- making older main characters still relevant in their own way.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Please add me to the support list.

By the way, does anyone remember the leaked concept arts for Lyn in Project M?

Never saw this before! Makes me honestly more sadder how Nintendo had to completely C&D Project M entirely before Lyn would have been ready - She's still pretty potent on PM as ever.

On that end, drop me to support list as well. Still a huger lover of Lyndis since the first Fire Emblem I cleared 6 years back. :dr^_^:

Last edited:

David James

Smash Cadet
So I got legendary lyn today with 140, orbs today(I was saving up in case a Lyn variant came out) and I started thinking maybe Lyn could fight with diffrent weapons like in heroes, I have 4 diffrent Lyns,(missing wind's embrace Lyn :(, and their all diffrent, maybe this can make her diffrent

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
I have to be honest. I've never played a Fire Emblem game before. But, this is all I could think of for her moveset. Her Neutral Special could be her Assist Trophy move. That's literally all I know. I'm planning on getting Fire Emblem Awakening for my 3DS, soon. Also, add me to the supporters, please!!

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I'll always support Lyn until the day she's finally playable in Smash, so please add me to the supporters list.

I'm feeling pretty optimistic for her inclusion this time around.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Y'know, with how much attention Lyn has been getting lately, and her return to prominence in both FEH and Warriors, I could honestly see Sakurai making the move to upgrade her, with a bit of prompting from IS (which we know they aren't above doing. It's part of the reason she was in FEW to begin with.)

She's arguably the most popular character in the entire franchise, Ike being next. The fact that she isn't already in is shocking, considering Ike's a two timer (and probably here to stay.)

Definitely support her making it. She has the chops and the fanbase. As long as they can have Lyn and Takamaru co-exist design-space wise (projectiles, fast, powerful single sword strikes), I'm 100% down.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I've never played a Fire Emblem game, but I've seen enough of her backstory and moves to the point she had my interest. Then when I saw her fighting style in FE Warriors, and the amazing way she's like wind personified, treating enemies like wayward leaves at the mercy of a hurricane, she had my attention (I love speedy characters). Then I saw her play when equipped with Astra 0_o!

Yeah so why isn't Lyn a playable character in Smash yet? I can see some unique sword play from her I definitely would like to see her make the cut this time.
She has my support so please add me to the support list too.

Last edited:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I think I should say that I support Lyn as well. She's the only FE character I want at this point.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Been playing Fire Emblem on the GBA lately and beaten Lyn's arc. This is a pretty good game so far. Lyn is kinda flat as a character, but I love the sharp animations she has in the game.

Though I personally love this animation the most, I keep humming the short melody:

Ballistas and Bards are the best things about this game.

Top Bottom