• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

L.U.A. (Landing Up-Air) Setups, Instant Stage Control & Kill Confirms

SpawnSean

Low Tier Hero
NNID
SpawnSean
Mr. Game & Watch has some interesting options that he can do with a L.U.A. (Landing Up-Air). To explain to some who might not know what I mean by "landing up-air", a landing up-air is when you perform an up-air and land on the ground at some point during the animation. In this thread when I say L.U.A., I am talking about landing the first hit of Mr. Game & Watch's Up-Air and then landing on the ground. The reason why I use the first hit and not the second hit is because the first active hit box of Mr. Game & Watch's Up-Air has very little knock-back since it is normally used to combo into the second hit.

At certain percents you can true combo for some damage, get a footstool, get a grab, gain stage control, set up for edge-guard situations, and even get some kill confirms. For the data I'm going to give this will happen in training mode with the CPU Behavior on Stop. So some of this may be DI able, but I will list them if the training mode displays it as a combo (excluding D-Tilt Windbox). In addition to the true combos, if the true combo can be a kill confirm then I will label the earliest percent that it can kill. My training dummy will be Captain Falcon on Battle Field and if a combo involves using a platform I will list it. All of these were performed with Captain Falcon on the ground, so if you hit the opponent in the air with the L.U.A. then I can't guarantee these will all work. Also it is important to note that these combos will connect earlier and KO earlier if you have rage.

L.U.A. -> 1st Jab (19-125%)
[You can continue with the rest of the jab, but smash 4 doesn't display it as a true combo so I won't either]

L.U.A. -> Dash Attack (52-125%)

L.U.A. -> Up-Tilt (65-166%)
(Starts KO-ing on the top platform @145%)

L.U.A. -> F-Tilt (67-128%)

L.U.A. -> D-Tilt (38-83%)

L.U.A. -> D-Tilt [WindBox] (84~160%)
(Can potentially KO at high percents if the opponent initiates an Up-Special/Recovery or Jumps)

L.U.A. -> Forward Smash (80-126%)
(Starts to KO with sweet spot @88% on top platform [@107% with sour spot] and will ALWAYS KO at ledge with sweet spot [@92% with sour spot])

L.U.A. -> Down Smash (89-125%)
(Starts KO-ing @102% with the sweet spot from the center and will ALWAYS KO on the top platform if you hit the sweet spot)
[Hitting the sweet spot can be very difficult, but with plenty of practice you can position yourself just right]
[On another note, this can potentially kill an opponent with a poor recovery at the ledge if you hit the sour spot of down smash due to the angle. Especially if they DI it wrong.]
[I would like to say with my experience using this, you opponent might DI into the sweet spot at times, so react accordingly to if they got hit by the sour or sweet spot.]

L.U.A. -> Up-Smash (126-142%)
(THIS WILL ALWAYS KO)
[You need to initiate your L.U.A. as late as possible to where the hit-box frame is out and then you land. The reason for this is because Up-smash doesn't come out until frames 24-25]
[This can be safe on opponents who like to use challenging aerials since Mr. G&W's head invincibility is active frames 4-25]

L.U.A. -> Chef (168-214%)
This is "okay", but if you do it at the ledge you can knock the opponent off stage
[It stops combing into the Pan's Hit-box @214% but it does combo into the food at even higher percents]

L.U.A. -> Judge Attack (98-148%)
(9 will KO always ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )
[8 can lead to all sorts of things your timing is right. You can even get another L.U.A. -> Judge if your timing is crisp]
[6 will send the opponent far off-stage for an edge guard]

L.U.A. -> Oil Panic (17~240%)
(Depending on what you bucket you can kill at varied percents)
[You need to jump/double-jump above 134% for it to combo]
{The bucketed item used was a bob-omb in the videos}

L.U.A. -> Fire [Up-Special] (60-345%)
(Starts KO-ing from the ledge @~240% and @~250% from the top platform)

L.U.A. -> N-Air (99~250%)
(Starts KO-ing @166% from the center and from the top platform @131%)
[You can combo below 99%, but it requires falling through a platform or walking off a ledge]
[Falling through the platform for the combo is VERY difficult]
[On another note, the opponent can sometimes escape from N-Air at higher percents ~150%]

L.U.A. -> F-Air (98~200%)
(Starts KO-ing @145% at the edge and @189% from the center)
[It gets more difficult to hit this around 180%]

L.U.A. -> B-Air (98~195%)
(Starts KO-ing @185% from the edge and @170% on the top platform with the landing hit-box)

L.U.A. -> Up-Air (86~240%)
(Starts KO-ing @126% from center and @104% from the top platform)
[STOPS KO-ING AROUND 186% SINCE THE 2ND HIT OF THE SECOND UP-AIR DOES NOT ALWAYS CONNECT]
[Your opponent might die from the wind-box if they try to jump away after 186%]
By doing a L.U.A. at low-high percents you can (in most situations) get a free grab/dash grab/pivot grab. This can lead to some combos and can even net you a stock off of your opponent. Here are some examples of some things you can do:

(Pummeling is optional)

L.U.A. -> Grab -> Pummel -> Down Throw -> Up Air

L.U.A. -> Grab -> Pummel -> Up Throw -> Up-B -> F-Air

L.U.A. -> Grab -> Pummel -> Down Throw -> Turn Around B-Air -> B-Air

L.U.A. -> Grab -> Pummel -> Down Throw -> Judge (9)

There are even more combos in Footstool Setups down below.

By performing a Landing Up-Air you can footstool the opponent at certain percents. This could potentially lead to some amazing combos if done perfectly, but here are two examples.

L.U.A. -> Footstool -> D-Air -> Up-Air

L.U.A. -> Footstool -> D-Air -> Footstool -> D-Air

L.U.A. -> Fire (Up-B)
I find this to be very useful since this is a true combo and send the opponent very far off stage if you use it around 75%.

L.U.A. -> Chef
This is a true combo at high percents, but I find it to be very useful at low percents where it doesn't true combo. After the Landing Up-Air and use initiate your neutral B on the ground, if the opponent does not jump and air-dodge away they will get true combo'd from the Sausage -> Pan and be sent off stage if you are near a ledge and are facing toward the ledge. If they throw out a challenging aerial, then they might be able to hit you or counter the attack. If you go for the true combo at the ledge, your opponent will be higher above the ledge so adjust your next move based on their position.

L.U.A. -> Dash Attack
This is very difficult to perform, but can be good from messing up your opponents DI. Sometimes your dash attack hit from behind, sending them in the opposite direction, which could give you the breathing room you need or send them off-stage. Attempting this will most likely end up in you doing a L.U.A. -> Jab or L.U.A. -> F-Tilt

L.U.A. -> F-Tilt
This is very easy to perform and sends the opponent decently off-stage for an edge guard. Hitting the F-Tilt at above 115% becomes more difficult since you have to time the hit to get the strong hit-box.

L.U.A. -> Down Smash
This can be a little difficult to do, but is highly effective at sending your opponents off-stage for an edge-guard. This sends the opponent offstage at a very low vertical angle and can kill some opponents who do not have a good enough recovery to get back.

L.U.A. -> Grab

This is basically a free grab that you can get to combo your opponent off-stage or just to simple throw them off stage. Another options you have if you are close enough to the ledge is to pummel until the grab release. Once they are off-stage you are free to edge guard your opponent.

L.U.A. -> Judge 6
This is luck based so only go for it if you are feeling lucky. If you do happen to land it your opponent will be sent far and if they happen to be off stage, don't let them back. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
To explain what I mean by tech-able percents: When the characters at these percents are hit with a L.U.A. they will be sent into a free fall like state to where if they hit the ground they can tech it. Look down in Misc Tips to see the difference in animations.

Here are the percents. (These are in order by Lightest Weight -> Heaviest Weight. (Thank @KuroganeHammer for his website which is linked down in Misc. Tips)

:4jigglypuff: - 103%
:4mewtwo: :4gaw: - 107%
:rosalina: - 109%
:4kirby: :4olimar: :4pikachu: :4fox: - 110%
:4metaknight: :4zss: :4sheik: - 111%
:4littlemac: :4falco: - 112%
:4bayonetta: - 113%
:4zelda: - 114%
:4peach: - 116%
:4lucina: :4marth: - 117%
:4duckhunt: :4palutena: - 118%
:4diddy: :4tlink: - 119%
:4lucas: :4ness: :4sonic: :4greninja: :4pacman: :4feroy: :4robinm: - 120%
:4darkpit: :4pit: :4wiifit: - 121%
:4luigi: :4villager: :4drmario: :4mario: :4corrin: - 122%
:4lucario: - 123%
:4miigun: :4miibrawl: :4miisword: - 124%
:4megaman: :4shulk: - 125%
:4ryu: :4yoshi: :4link: :4falcon: - 126%
:4rob: :4wario: :4myfriends: - 128%
:4samus: :4bowserjr: - 129%
:4ganondorf: - 132%
:4charizard: - 134%
:4dedede: - 136%
:4dk: - 138%
:4bowser: - 143%

If you are have trouble hitting the L.U.A. -> Dash Attack I used a trick where you can perform practically an instant dash attack by initiating a dash and pressing the C-Stick in a direction at the same time.

:GCR: + ( :GCCU: or :GCCR: or :GCCD: or :GCCL:)
:GCL: + ( :GCCU: or :GCCR: or :GCCD: or :GCCL:)

To make it easier to get the sweet spot on the Down Smash, do a Perfect Pivot Down Smash to slide a bit before the hammers drop. This can be difficult, but will make landing the sweet spot easier.

I tried so hard to combo L.U.A. into D-Air, but as of right now I have not be able to find the correct percent. It might work on some other characters, but Captain Falcon can't be combo'd by it as far as I know.

To explain why some combos stop/start around 125-126% is because Captain Falcon's animation for being hit with the L.U.A. is different. His animation changing means his hurt-box changes as well. Although, with the animation changing, the opponent is stunned longer which allows moves like smash attacks to connect.

I find that using L.U.A. out of a shield drop to be useful at times. It can catch your opponents off-guard.

To see character weights, please go to KuroganeHammer's Website and look in "Character Attributes" for a link to Weight Classes. Or you could click here to get linked directly.

IF I MISSED ANYTHING OR IF ANYTHING IS INCORRECT LET ME KNOW AND I WILL UPDATE THIS AFTER TESTING IT! <3
________
Updates

Rage doesn't effect the L.U.A. itself too much at low-mid percents.

Added videos to show proof for true combos and difference in animation from being hit by L.U.A. at 125% and 126%.

Added videos to show L.U.A. -> Grabs.

Added percents for each character in which they enter a tech-able animation.

Last edited:

SpawnSean

Low Tier Hero
NNID
SpawnSean
The thread has been updated with videos showing the combos being true. I also added some other videos for explanation reasons.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Dope, I used A LOT of landing uair but stopped right before i became inactive. This is exciting for when i start playing again, happy to see so much labbing happening for this character.

Cheap Shot

Smash Cadet
Yo, this is really cool stuff but I'm not quite sure who'd actually fall into a LUA. We need some research into what can be done to combo into LUA or set it up. As of right now, most opponents will either attack or shield if they see you approaching.

SpawnSean

Low Tier Hero
NNID
SpawnSean
Yo, this is really cool stuff but I'm not quite sure who'd actually fall into a LUA. We need some research into what can be done to combo into LUA or set it up. As of right now, most opponents will either attack or shield if they see you approaching.
Shield Dropping into L.U.A.'s are effective imo. Although this requires platforms, it is useful in certain cases.

Top Bottom