• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KOS-MOS Returning to Battle: DLC Season 2.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
No KOS-MOS mii just shows that she wasn't even close to being on Sakurai/Nintendo or Namco's radar. The Mythra down taunt was probably even a last thing by Monolith Soft to give her. Disappointing but we should be used to being disappointed at this point. And with that I'm tuning out of smash speculation for the most part. Praying that the last character is Champion Zelda since I want BOTW 2 represenation but that's all I guess. And once again people have to stop thinking there are rules for mii fighters. Lloyd was guaranteed to come back but he could also always be upgraded in the next smash.

the unholy Grail

Smash Apprentice
That mii costume wave was BRUTAL. Still no KOS-MOS mii shockingly enough, so I think she's safe from being mii'd. Unless another character like her such as 2B is the last character or something lol.

I don't know how to feel about this. on one hand, she wasn't straight up deconfirmed but on the other hand, no KOS-MOS anywhere in this game legitimately sucks, and another Namco rep is still entirely possible, but I don't think it will be KOS-MOS unfortunately. Yes she'd be a pseudo Namco/Monolith character, but we got 2 (technically 3.) different characters who occupy those spots. Not to mention there are still more recognizable series up Namco's sleeve like Tales. If Heihachi taught us anything. it's that mii costumes DON'T deconfirm a series entirely. only the character. Someone like Yuri Lowell and/or Velvet Crowe is still on the table for Namco, and I'd personally be cool with either.It's been a fun ride, but I think this is the end of the line for KOS-MOS in Ultimate...

Last edited:

Luty

Smash Cadet
That mii costume wave was BRUTAL. Still no KOS-MOS mii shockingly enough, so I think she's safe from being mii'd. Unless another character like her such as 2B is the last character or something lol.

I don't know how to feel about this. on one hand, she wasn't straight up deconfirmed but on the other hand, no KOS-MOS anywhere in this game legitimately sucks, and another Namco rep is still entirely possible, but I don't think it will be KOS-MOS unfortunately. Yes she'd be a pseudo Namco/Monolith character, but we got 2 (technically 3.) different characters who occupy those spots. Not to mention there are still more recognizable series up Namco's sleeve like Tales. If Heihachi taught us anything. it's that mii costumes DON'T deconfirm a series entirely. only the character. Someone like Yuri Lowell and/or Velvet Crowe is still on the table for Namco, and I'd personally be cool with either.

It's been a very fun ride, but I think this is the end of the line for KOS-MOS in Smash Ultimate. maybe next game.
Well, Dante from . . . "DANTE(?)" is out, but what about the new series center, Nero from the Devil May Cry series? KOS-MOS' chances may be 0.00001%, but there is a chance. Do I hope and desire the final character to be KOS-MOS? Absolutely. Do I believe the next character will not be KOS-MOS? Absolutely. As iconic as KOS-MOS is in the Xeno franchise and Nintendo crossovers, I think she is still too niche of a character to bring Nintendo the sales. However, I think a demonstration of her skills, alone, would be enough to garner the money from naysayers' pockets.

Not sure if my opinion is unpopular here or elsewhere, but I feel like KOS-MOS would have a more interesting move set potential than Mythra/Pyra. Smash did a fantastic job with the attacks that Mythra/Pyra received; but sword attack, spinning sword attack, sword beam, and more sword attacks make for an unappealing move set by non-fan standards. Not that I am disappointed they are in Smash over KOS-MOS considering they were the main characters of a more recent videogame. I can see why they were chosen over KOS-MOS. I resigned myself to thinking that KOS-MOS would not make it into any Smash games since Brawl anyway. Despite how high her actual chances were to get into Smash, I personally believed that chance had to be 0%.

With my #2 (the one Gawr Gura affectionately calls "Dande") deleted from the speculation scene, it would seem like none of my dream characters are making it in as full characters with their interesting move sets. Dante, like most Mii outfits, is missing out on not only his sword techniques, but his arsenal and gimmicks. He's got a cool outfit, but it's too bad it will be put on a Mii bobblehead, which reduces the coolness/hotness factor by a lot. Kazuya and his attacks are awesome, and what I would love to see in a Tekken character coming to Smash. I totally see why they chose him over my preferred Tekken picks. But, it does seem like because Kazuya is in Smash, Dante is not. They both have devil forms, so maybe they thought it might be too redundant to have both characters in Smash despite their moves being wildly different.

KOS-MOS was in for a ride throughout Smash Ultimate speculation. I liked the attention the old gynoid was getting. However, I was never truly gung-ho about KOS-MOS for Smash. Would I like to see KOS-MOS out there in one of the most famous gaming franchises known throughout the world for all ages to enjoy? Of course! But if she is not, at least I do not have to hear anything like "toxic KOS-MOS players" or the like. If anything, I want to see KOS-MOS in a new game where the character can be used to the fullest. The final character has not been announced yet, and it could even be KOS-MOS. If KOS-MOS is not in Smash Ultimate, I will not be salty. I just won't be surprised. After all, I expected it would not happen at the beginning.

SlackRed

Smash Rookie
Hi new here. This will be my first post on this site.

I want to take the time and say thank you for keeping KOS-MOS alive here, I thought I was the only one who remembers her. I want to say to not give up on her, everyone here has to remember that KOS-MOS comes from a time that anime style games were becoming the norm. Heck, her games barely made money for Namco and EP 3 had to wrap so much in the span of three other games. I blame Namco so much for the lackluster marketing. Did you guys even know there was a Xenosaga anime and manga? My point I am trying to say is this: you have to give it time, and I mean A LOT OF TIME. Xenoblade is on its way to be become a huge franchise for Nintendo, Xenoblade 2 and the remake of one sold millions of copies and we have low key been getting a lot of Saga refs. Case in point?

1. Kos-Mos in X2
2. The Fog King in future connect who everyone agrees it's the Gnosis.
3. THE ZOHAR!

Whatever X3 will be, I know KOS-MOS will have a part. A lot of people hypothesis that all the Xeno games are going to be connected in some shape or form because of Future Connect. So maybe not now but later on, Xenosaga will come back but that only depends on Xenoblade's 3 success. That would mean maybe more Xeno characters in smash. Even Tetsuya Takahashi wants to finish the story of Saga but needs funding. We were almost close here but maybe in the next smash.

So thanks for hearing me out. You can pick this apart, I just wanted to say this.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Hi new here. This will be my first post on this site.

I want to take the time and say thank you for keeping KOS-MOS alive here, I thought I was the only one who remembers her. I want to say to not give up on her, everyone here has to remember that KOS-MOS comes from a time that anime style games were becoming the norm. Heck, her games barely made money for Namco and EP 3 had to wrap so much in the span of three other games. I blame Namco so much for the lackluster marketing. Did you guys even know there was a Xenosaga anime and manga? My point I am trying to say is this: you have to give it time, and I mean A LOT OF TIME. Xenoblade is on its way to be become a huge franchise for Nintendo, Xenoblade 2 and the remake of one sold millions of copies and we have low key been getting a lot of Saga refs. Case in point?

1. Kos-Mos in X2
2. The Fog King in future connect who everyone agrees it's the Gnosis.
3. THE ZOHAR!

Whatever X3 will be, I know KOS-MOS will have a part. A lot of people hypothesis that all the Xeno games are going to be connected in some shape or form because of Future Connect. So maybe not now but later on, Xenosaga will come back but that only depends on Xenoblade's 3 success. That would mean maybe more Xeno characters in smash. Even Tetsuya Takahashi wants to finish the story of Saga but needs funding. We were almost close here but maybe in the next smash.

So thanks for hearing me out. You can pick this apart, I just wanted to say this.
You make some great points I agree with but unfortunately KOS-MOS's time in ultimate is over. I definitely wont give up but I feel like this was her most realistic shot and it is demoralizing to not have any sort of KOS-MOS content in ultimate except Mythra's down taunt which is a nice throwback but it is not enough to make KOS-MOS noticed. We know KOS-MOS is really marketable but it honestly feels like the harsh reality is that without anything in ultimate much her only chance at another smash appearance is if she gets a major role in Xenoblade 3. I understand that Xenoblade 2 made her insanely more popular enough to get people to talk about her but KOS-MOS has to be playable on switch in some sort of main character form for next smash if we are being realistic. Monolith clearly care about her enough to keep asking Namco to use her but it is unknown if Harada gave up on KOS-MOS or has a future project planned for her. I know this is gonna sound a bit silly since Namco and Monolith have the best relationship but I think Nintendo outright buying KOS-MOS would make her chances for next smash go through the roof and I want it to happen at this point. So no... i'm not giving up on KOS-MOS but for ultimate there's zero chance of her appearing in any capacity unless there's a hidden namco costume somewhere. For me, KOS-MOS not even getting a mii is a very bad thing because it goes to show that maybe speculation went overboard on her chances and Nintendo never ever considered her even once. Smash disappoints us and I think we are just going to have to accept that it is over for Ultimate. Again, if KOS-MOS does appear as a mii in the last pack or as the fighter, I'll eat my hat.

And yup, i'm glad you brought up the Xeno multiverse connection. All of those things is why I am convinced KOS-MOS is going to have a role in Xenoblade 3 but will it be enough for a smash appearance? Who knows. What's really holding her back is Namco not giving a Xenosaga remaster the time of day yet and if Baiten Kaitos gets remastered it is because Nintendo themselves asked for it over Xenosaga considering Harada said he wants Monolith Soft on the project of a Xenosaga remaster. Honestly, KOS-MOS is in limbo right now. She's obviously cared for a whole lot but we have to wait to see if that artwork she keeps getting will mean anything in Xenoblade 3. If it doesnt, then I fear it will be looking pretty bad for a smash appearance. KOS-MOS just needs ONE MAJOR APPEARANCE and i'm sure she will be considered for smash. I'm happy with Aegis in smash but I know many aren't and that sucks for them but ultimate has satisfied me because of them and Sephiroth.

I wont speculate that much anymore but I thank you for your post and i'll still be checking the thread periodically but just know that it does feel truly over now that Namco's pack has gone by.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Been quite awhile but Xenoblade 3 rumours are starting to pop up ever since the Jenna Coleman small talk with a very small youtuber happened a few days ago. She slipped about Xenoblade 3 but it was unclear if she is having a role in the game until today where Imran seems to confirm Xenoblade 3 is a sequel in the future with possibly all of the Xeno cast.

https://www.fanbyte.com/news/xenoblade-new-game-true/

"Musing about her first role in Xenoblade Chronicles, Coleman said “God, when was the first game? Ten years ago? It was a long time ago, I did it pre-Doctor Who days and when they did they second one , they asked me to come back. And I think they’re going to do another,” Coleman paused. “Common knowledge? Don’t know. Yeah, I think they’re going to do another. Not sure if I’m allowed to say that.”

Coleman’s quote has caused rumors to stir over the weekend of a new Xenoblade Chronicles currently in development. According to our sources here, we can indeed confirm that to be the case. Moreover, the game is nearing its final stages of development, but its release date may be held back for any number of reasons.

The third Xenoblade Chronicles game in development at Monolith Soft is a sequel to Xenoblade Chronicles 2, currently the best-selling game in the series. The ending of the trilogy takes place in the far-flung future with a few returning characters who have long-outlived their human counterparts from both Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. This is why Coleman, who plays Melia, would be aware of a third game, as her character is returning and she more than likely has recorded voice acting for it.

According to our sources, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 was set to be revealed earlier this year, and may still be announced before the end of the calendar year, but has had a difficult time with pandemic development and optimizing the game for the Switch. The game is aiming for more character models on screen at once than any previous title, accounting for both playable characters and enemies.

This is the best news ever to me. This pretty much means everything I theorized was true and we are indeed getting a game with all the Xeno characters in one against a major threat (gnosis most likely because of FC). The focus on the Zohar in the 10th anniversary Xenoblade artwork, KOS-MOS appearing alongside the main Xenoblade characters recently, etc. and the Elma sidequest in Xenoblade 2. Everything is going to come true and I am unbelievably excited. This comes from a extremely credible source and this is what happened with Stranger of Paradise: FF origin a few months ago. It is the very same cycle of events. People heard rumours and then Imran comes out to confirm it. I am not going to doubt him here and I think this is real because everything is lining up perfectly.

KOS-MOS HAS to appear in Xenoblade 3 guaranteed now. I just hope she has a bigger role than a cameo because it does seem like my theory of Xeno avengers is pretty much coming true! We may have lost KOS-MOS in smash but it seems likely she can appear in Xenoblade 3 based off this. So we can be happy all the same right? This IS what she needs after all. Either way, I'm ridiculously hyped to see this as the game seems to be aiming for more character models on screen than ever before due to the crossover party I guess!

Last edited:

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
This pretty much means everything I theorized was true and we are indeed getting a game with all the Xeno characters in one against a major threat (gnosis most likely because of FC).
Uhhhhhh... Isn't the rumor explicitly going against this idea considering it says the game is set in a new era that only "a few returning characters" will be part of?

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Uhhhhhh... Isn't the rumor explicitly going against this idea considering it says the game is set in a new era that only "a few returning characters" will be part of?
Not exactly. I think it is the opposite and this will be a big crossover and they dont want to spoil the surprise like that. And also Imran shared a podcast recently and he said the majority of the people that are guessing on the internet are "accurately correct" about the returning character guesses and it shouldn't be a revelation but he went into how the crossover stuff in XB2 in the land of challenge makes sense with XB3. I think that if anything we should expect a lot more returning characters. Basically, I think blades will return such as Pyra and Mythra, Nia, Minoth/Cole, Dromarch and possibly most of the story blades. On the Xenoblade 1 side I can easily see Alvis, Melia, Teelan, Tyrea andmachina like Vanea, etc. Basically I think it will be a hefty bunch and Monolith is focusing on large scale battles with multiple characters on screen. Unclear exactly what this means but we can expect a large party probably.

The podcast can be found here and is worth listening to imo.
But yeah I'm sure the human characters are dead as the article does somewhat say that but you never know with Xeno. We dont know how many years this timeskip is but it could be more than 100. Melia at the end of FC recognizes that the Fog will plague their future and will be a endless threat. And the most interesting part of this is that new characters have to happen as well and well with that art we got last time with KOS-MOS and Shulk, Rex, Elma... there's really no better time to have KOS-MOS kick arse and save the future. She easily makes so much sense as a party member to me and while she's not technically new... having her return feels like the most obvious outcome with a gnosis like threat out there. While Imran hasn't talked about if X is related to XB3 I can see Takahashi bringing out Elma as well as her sidequest pretty much hints at this XB3 plot, imo. So to answer your question.... the plot does not go against Xeno characters coming together. In fact, it is the complete opposite because Monolith wouldn't tease it with their various artworks otherwise and well there's evidence that many characters can come back. A few characters could mean easily a dozen.

At this point I think I really am expecting this to end a potential September direct but the game sounds very ambitious and I know people will crap on the performance regardless of how hype the trailer is. Game is apparently pushing the switch to the limit.... and we dont have a switch pro. Imran even says towards the end of the podcast that it was struggling a few months ago according to his source that has definitely seen the game running

But the good news is that the game should be optimized now and possibly ready for September

As for the smash side of things.... maybe that Pyra and Mythra smash trailer was meant to evoke XB3 as it was supposed to be revealed last year apparently. If that is truly the case then that's real cool and the trailer might be canon to Xenoblade 3 in a sense.

Suiren_Kirin

Smash Cadet
I agree, in FC they make it really clear that fog king does not belong to that world

everything lines up for a xenoblade 3 where all the iconic characters intersect (X Cross-over!!), in the style of Monolith's 10th anniversary art

IMG_20210823_125729.jpg
IMG_20210823_125257.jpg

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500
Well the final smash character reveal is most likely tonight but also Xenoblade 3! I'm incredibly excited!
Well, can’t wait to see how this all ends for Ultimate. It’s been a wild ride for us. I’ll be sure to hop back in with you all to cheer for KOS-MOS to join the fight whenever the next Smash comes around (unless by some miracle she ends up being the final DLC character, which unfortunately, feels very unlikely).

Also I’m really looking forward to finding out if the stuff Imran said about 3 ends up being legit.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
they tricked us XD. No Xenoblade 3 was shown and I want to cry lol. At least we get the last smash character soon. I really wonder why they didn't just show it in the direct but at least we dont need to wait until next year for this show to be over.

Also Bayonetta 3 being shown was incredibly hype after FOUR DAMN YEARS. About time. I love Bayonetta's new design and I hope she looks like that if there is another smash game.

I guess CHOCO just really loves his gynoid babes watching directs. He's tweeted that quite a few times now lol

Last edited:

Luty

Smash Cadet
they tricked us XD. No Xenoblade 3 was shown and I want to cry lol. At least we get the last smash character soon. I really wonder why they didn't just show it in the direct but at least we dont need to wait until next year for this show to be over.

Also Bayonetta 3 being shown was incredibly hype after FOUR DAMN YEARS. About time. I love Bayonetta's new design and I hope she looks like that if there is another smash game.

I guess CHOCO just really loves his gynoid babes watching directs. He's tweeted that quite a few times now lol
Well, the 2021 Tokyo Game Show could still have Xenoblade 3 show up in some fashion? Maybe?

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Well, the 2021 Tokyo Game Show could still have Xenoblade 3 show up in some fashion? Maybe?
Monolith's Soft's anniversary is next week and even with TGS I doubt we will get anything. I'm thinking we won't see Xenoblade 3 until at least January/February. MAYBE the game awards but I doubt that too. It is of course entirely possible it gets revealed in a non direct but I feel like they really want to push it in a direct due to the rumours saying it is really pushing the switch to the limit. As sad as it is that we will have to wait.... hopefully it isn't too long.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Almost 20 mins left and I just had to be here for the finale. Whoever the character is I just hope it is something special that nobody ever expected. I truly dont know what to predict anymore. Originally I had BOTW Zelda as my final prediction but yesterday's Sakurai tweet pretty much changed things for me.

But Harada tweeted about the reveal and I found that really odd. Maybe it is another namco character? Either way we find out in 20 mins whoever it is. Hopes and dreams are on the line here.... let's do it!

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
And with that the last character is Sora! Biggest character ever I wasn't expecting tbh. Well, it's been fun guys. I'll see you when Xenoblade 3 gets announced and there's always the small KOS-MOS discord if you want to talk about Xeno in general. Well.... it's no longer going to be a smash active discord that's for sure. It's going to be a long break well deserved for me and I can only hope KOS-MOS has a prominent role in Xenoblade 3 so she is considered for the next smash. I deeply thank you all for your support and we sort of succeeded in getting KOS-MOS talked about. Seriously I thank each and every one of you for being on this journey with me. And while it is not goodbye in terms of Xeno it is goodbye for smash for the forseeable future.

All this thread will be going forward is my excitement for Xenoblade 3 or my theories like usual :)

And with that.... Dinah out

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
I registered just to post in this thread, which I've been following for quite a while now (before Pass2 started? I don't remember). Now that the dust has settled, I just wanted ask: why do you all think that KOS-MOS didn't make it into Ultimate? Not even as a Fighter, but just as a Mii costume, Spirit, Pac-Man's roulette, a Mythra alt, anything. Could she actually be a less significant character than many of us may've assumed? Or could there, perhaps, be some deeper reason to it all?

Really, I just think it was a serious missed opportunity. Smash had Bamco AND Monolith on board, and even had a Challenger Pack based entirely around Xenoblade 2, a game that she herself appeared in. And yet, she can't even warrant a mention? I can only hope that Monolith at least tried to push for their girl's inclusion.

BTW, in case anyone's curious to know where I stand, I've never actually played Xenosaga, though it did look interesting to me, and I've nevertheless been long familiar with KOS-MOS as a character (a shame that a re-release doesn't appear to be happening anytime soon, because I'd totally jump on getting that as soon as it came out). I've been rather fixated on the potential to have KOS-MOS in Smash ever since the possibility was brought up on a GameFAQS thread sometime late in Smash4's DLC cycle. While I'm not super knowledgeable on her, from what I know, she does look like she'd have a very interesting moveset. Also, I'd kill to have Yuki Kajiura music in Smash.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I registered just to post in this thread, which I've been following for quite a while now (before Pass2 started? I don't remember). Now that the dust has settled, I just wanted ask: why do you all think that KOS-MOS didn't make it into Ultimate? Not even as a Fighter, but just as a Mii costume, Spirit, Pac-Man's roulette, a Mythra alt, anything. Could she actually be a less significant character than many of us may've assumed? Or could there, perhaps, be some deeper reason to it all?

Really, I just think it was a serious missed opportunity. Smash had Bamco AND Monolith on board, and even had a Challenger Pack based entirely around Xenoblade 2, a game that she herself appeared in. And yet, she can't even warrant a mention? I can only hope that Monolith at least tried to push for their girl's inclusion.

BTW, in case anyone's curious to know where I stand, I've never actually played Xenosaga, though it did look interesting to me, and I've nevertheless been long familiar with KOS-MOS as a character (a shame that a re-release doesn't appear to be happening anytime soon, because I'd totally jump on getting that as soon as it came out). I've been rather fixated on the potential to have KOS-MOS in Smash ever since the possibility was brought up on a GameFAQS thread sometime late in Smash4's DLC cycle. While I'm not super knowledgeable on her, from what I know, she does look like she'd have a very interesting moveset. Also, I'd kill to have Yuki Kajiura music in Smash.
I think she may be saved for next game/a port’s base roster. If we are getting another Namco rep after Kazuya, it’s not Lloyd. Could be another Tales character like Yuri, Luke, Alphen or Shionne. We could also get Jin Kazama as a Ken style Kazuya echo

basically I think it’s a good thing she dodged the Mii bullet. For first parties, if they get a Mii, they’re generally safe (look at Inkling, Chrom and King K Rool from 4). But if a third party gets a Mii? They’re there forever (Lloyd as aforementioned, Gil Tower of Druaga, Geno, Tails, etc). They could become ATs or Final Smash appearances like Proto Man, Akira or Knuckles, but the way I see it, once a third party becomes a Mii, them ever becoming playable is out of the question.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Well, it’s been fun. We at least did get another Namco rep with Kazuya

maybe next game KOS-MOS will get her chance to shine. If echoes are still a thing, T-elos can be her echo too

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
Shame more people couldn't have given their thoughts on the question I was asking. Well, it's been nice lurking here. I'll be sure to post in the next Smash speculation's KOS-MOS thread, assuming anyone makes it.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Shame more people couldn't have given their thoughts on the question I was asking. Well, it's been nice lurking here. I'll be sure to post in the next Smash speculation's KOS-MOS thread, assuming anyone makes it.
I didn’t even see the question, what was it?

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
I didn’t even see the question, what was it?
This one.
Now that the dust has settled, I just wanted ask: why do you all think that KOS-MOS didn't make it into Ultimate? Not even as a Fighter, but just as a Mii costume, Spirit, Pac-Man's roulette, a Mythra alt, anything. Could she actually be a less significant character than many of us may've assumed? Or could there, perhaps, be some deeper reason to it all?

Top Bottom