• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KOS-MOS Returning to Battle: DLC Season 2.

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500
Not exactly related to KOS-MOS, but there’s rumors of the PlayStation store for PSP/PS3/Vita getting shut down in a couple months:

If you own any of those platforms, haven’t played Xenogears & are intending on playing it at some point, I’d probably get it ($9.99 on US store) before it gets harder to purchase at a reasonable price. Or you could just resort to emulation, I guess.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
He said or otherwise implied the last two had figurines right? What are some commonly speculated characters aside from KOS-MOS?

I know Crash, Reimu, Lloyd, Ahri are a few that come to mind
I feel like most of the commonly speculated third party characters would.

Some examples:

And for a first party example:

In news that's vaguely related to KOS-MOS, I started playing Xenogears - I had it on my PS3 for a while, and with people recommending it with the apparent upcoming closure of the PS3's online store, I figured I'd give it a try. The opening caught me off-guard - it definitely wasn't what I was expecting. (apparently, Xenosaga itself isn't available on the PS3 for whatever reason)

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
He said or otherwise implied the last two had figurines right? What are some commonly speculated characters aside from KOS-MOS?

I know Crash, Reimu, Lloyd, Ahri are a few that come to mind
Pretty much all the characters you and Megadoomer mentioned and Rayman

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Not exactly related to KOS-MOS, but there’s rumors of the PlayStation store for PSP/PS3/Vita getting shut down in a couple months:

If you own any of those platforms, haven’t played Xenogears & are intending on playing it at some point, I’d probably get it ($9.99 on US store) before it gets harder to purchase at a reasonable price. Or you could just resort to emulation, I guess.
That's really unfortunate to hear. I really do recommend anyone picks it up!

In news that's vaguely related to KOS-MOS, I started playing Xenogears - I had it on my PS3 for a while, and with people recommending it with the apparent upcoming closure of the PS3's online store, I figured I'd give it a try. The opening caught me off-guard - it definitely wasn't what I was expecting. (apparently, Xenosaga itself isn't available on the PS3 for whatever reason)
Xenogears is a masterpiece. I wish I can go back and play it blind and not know anything that happens. Disc 2 is still really good despite what people say about time constraints or whatever.

the unholy Grail

Smash Apprentice
Why would they need the RE:Kosmos figure art specifically? They could use the default re:Kosmos art or any of her promotional renders. The only reason they used Pyra/Mythra's figure art for the spirit is because they're full body artworks that weren't already used. Minmin was in a similar position and they just picked a different render for her.
Now that you bring that up, that does seem like the more likely scenario. I mean...how lame would it have been if Pyra's fighter spirit was just her XC2 design again but now it was copy and pasted with her leggings slapped on to cover her thighs? They had no other pieces of artwork to draw from other than concept art but when has that ever been applied to a fighter? not to mention it would've been random to do so IMO.

Figurine theory just makes me think, "Do you have the slightest idea how little that narrows it down?!". Practically any popular character has some sort of figure. And, even if they don't, it's not like the Smash devs NEED one, it's just handy to have. I really think people are taking it too seriously.
Also true. Like I said in my last post, Figure theory wouldn't even narrow down any frontrunners in particular. I agree that having figures of characters is just a bonus to help design them for smash which might mean something for their chances, but we need to see our last 2 to see if this bizarre theory holds weight.

And to clear up any possible confusion, Yes I do think figure theory should be considered going forward at least until the next character, but I also realize the points made against it. It is by no means a faultless theory that must hold truth going forward, and it has some holes in it other have pointed out. Just because a character doesn't have a figure doesn't mean they aren't eligible for smash. That'd be preposterous LOL. And this was coming from someone who was heavily against figures being evidence for DLC characters until I heard Sakurai himself tell us otherwise. I think part of the reason why were even talking about this is because there aren't any other leaks/theories going about (minus glitch theory which is also dubious.)

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You know I still can’t stop thinking about how the Lloyd costume is taking it’s sweet time to return

for one I do NOT believe Lloyd will be the sole exception to 4’s DLC Miis returning and will make the jump to playable. If it happened to Heihachi and Geno, it’ll happen to him

and yes I know Lloyd wasn’t bundled with any characters in 4 but instead dropped out of the blue with I think a stand-alone stage

HOWEVER

Pythra’s all Capcom wave was really cause Capcom wanted a push for Rise

... or was it? A lot of Pythra’s alt palettes are surprisingly generic, no palettes based on the likes of KOS-MOS, T-elos or even Elma. Not even based on Pyra and Mythra’s friends like how Shulk did (I wanted Pandoria!Pyra and Zeke!Mythra so bad). That Mythra taunt is somewhat inspired by KOS-MOS’s victory animation but not 100%. Why didn’t Sakurai even mention that was the case? And yet he referenced Xenogears of all things

idk... I feel like either:
  • Another JRPG character is among the last two, maybe Elma if they use the X logo for Xenoblade X... or even KOS-MOS
  • OR, a Bamco character is among the last two. Once again, our girl is a possibility

Like I literally have a hard time seeing the Lloyd costume return any other way given how Heihachi’s and Geno’s did (not sure about Gil, was he originally revealed in Corrin’s or Bayonetta’s wave in 4?)

Unless Lloyd’s costume returns with like. Reimu Hakurei or something and that’s one hell of a stretch

no I’m not mentioning Ryu Hayabusa as a possibility cause 1. I take that Yasuda “I’m waiting for an invitation” statement (ergo it’s Yasuda waiting for an invitation, not Hayabusa) as a deconfirm, and 2. ...I just REALLY don’t like Hayabusa.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
You know I still can’t stop thinking about how the Lloyd costume is taking it’s sweet time to return

for one I do NOT believe Lloyd will be the sole exception to 4’s DLC Miis returning and will make the jump to playable. If it happened to Heihachi and Geno, it’ll happen to him

and yes I know Lloyd wasn’t bundled with any characters in 4 but instead dropped out of the blue with I think a stand-alone stage

HOWEVER

Pythra’s all Capcom wave was really cause Capcom wanted a push for Rise

... or was it? A lot of Pythra’s alt palettes are surprisingly generic, no palettes based on the likes of KOS-MOS, T-elos or even Elma. Not even based on Pyra and Mythra’s friends like how Shulk did (I wanted Pandoria!Pyra and Zeke!Mythra so bad). That Mythra taunt is somewhat inspired by KOS-MOS’s victory animation but not 100%. Why didn’t Sakurai even mention that was the case? And yet he referenced Xenogears of all things

idk... I feel like either:
  • Another JRPG character is among the last two, maybe Elma if they use the X logo for Xenoblade X... or even KOS-MOS
  • OR, a Bamco character is among the last two. Once again, our girl is a possibility

Like I literally have a hard time seeing the Lloyd costume return any other way given how Heihachi’s and Geno’s did (not sure about Gil, was he originally revealed in Corrin’s or Bayonetta’s wave in 4?)

Unless Lloyd’s costume returns with like. Reimu Hakurei or something and that’s one hell of a stretch

no I’m not mentioning Ryu Hayabusa as a possibility cause 1. I take that Yasuda “I’m waiting for an invitation” statement (ergo it’s Yasuda waiting for an invitation, not Hayabusa) as a deconfirm, and 2. ...I just REALLY don’t like Hayabusa.
I wouldn't rule out Hayabusa simply because we've had on more than one occasion misdirects regarding a character's chances getting into Smash.

Attachments

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I wouldn't rule out Hayabusa simply because we've had on more than one occasion misdirects regarding a character's chances getting into Smash.
Different circumstances for each. The Kirkhope comment was a reply to a tweet he wasn’t obligated to make. Not sure about any of the others, but the fact Yasuda is saying he is waiting for his invitation, not Hayabusa, makes it sound like KT & Team Ninja haven’t even been contacted

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Sakurai not mentioning KOS-MOS was strange indeed. Like she's the sole blade that was marketed heavily for the game's release and it was a huge part of why pre xenoblade fans got excited. I'm not exaggerating when I say KOS-MOS blew up on twitter when she was revealed in Xenoblade 2.

Anyway, while we still think there's a miniscule chance for KOS-MOS dont forget that Dark Souls can also be chosen over her.....

In other news some people are saying not to get excited about thinking Xenoblade 3 is going to be revealed soon.... personally I dont believe it and it WILL be revealed at E3 but man i'd hate to wait another year if that happens. https://www.reddit.com/r/Xenoblade_..._ace_working_together_on_new_project/gscoplt/ We know Ace have been composing music since last year so I honestly think Mitsuda and Ace ARE working together on Xenoblade 3. What else could the project be?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Sakurai not mentioning KOS-MOS was strange indeed. Like she's the sole blade that was marketed heavily for the game's release and it was a huge part of why pre xenoblade fans got excited. I'm not exaggerating when I say KOS-MOS blew up on twitter when she was revealed in Xenoblade 2.

Anyway, while we still think there's a miniscule chance for KOS-MOS dont forget that Dark Souls can also be chosen over her.....

In other news some people are saying not to get excited about thinking Xenoblade 3 is going to be revealed soon.... personally I dont believe it and it WILL be revealed at E3 but man i'd hate to wait another year if that happens. https://www.reddit.com/r/Xenoblade_..._ace_working_together_on_new_project/gscoplt/ We know Ace have been composing music since last year so I honestly think Mitsuda and Ace ARE working together on Xenoblade 3. What else could the project be?
Maybe Xenoblade Warriors? I hope at least

MattX20

Smash Hero

Xenoblade Chronicles X for the Switch would be nice

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Xenoblade X DE/switch port was rumoured on resetera from what I remember but dont recall if the insider that said it was credible or not.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Xenoblade X DE/switch port was rumoured on resetera from what I remember but dont recall if the insider that said it was credible or not.
whoa what?! when was this?! if you can provide any screenshot or anything i would appreciate it lots

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Sure but like I said I dunno if this guy is credible. he supposedly leaks things but I dont really follow https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...-50-minutes-long.379266/page-21#post-58731531 Anyway he said Monolith has a game for 2021 as well lately here https://www.resetera.com/threads/bl...ing-350-399-msrp.398395/page-24#post-61411348
the second one says (FY) meaning Fiscal Year, which kinda literally ends this Wednesday the day of Mario's execution :4pacman: so press X to doubt for the Fiscal Year bit

bro. BIG IF TRUE for the first one though

GolisoPower

Smash Master
the second one says (FY) meaning Fiscal Year, which kinda literally ends this Wednesday the day of Mario's execution :4pacman: so press X to doubt for the Fiscal Year bit

About the fiscal year thing...just looked it up, I think you're referring to the 1st half. Here's the following:
  • 1st quarter: 1 October 2020 – 31 December 2020
  • 2nd quarter: 1 January 2021 – 31 March 2021
  • 3rd quarter: 1 April 2021 – 30 June 2021
  • 4th quarter: 1 July 2021 – 30 September 2021
So while you are right in a sense, we've still got the other half to see if it comes to fruition. I mean, unless we're talking Japanese government fiscal years, then, you got me there.

Last edited:

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace

While they made Xenoblade DE really fast I remember when Takahashi said the next Xenoblade was already in production a long time ago. Xenoblade 3 and DE were presented to Nintendo in 2018. Xenoblade 3 feels like a more likely outcome than getting Xenoblade X port next, imo.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
While they made Xenoblade DE really fast I remember when Takahashi said the next Xenoblade was already in production a long time ago. Xenoblade 3 and DE were presented to Nintendo in 2018. Xenoblade 3 feels like a more likely outcome than getting Xenoblade X port next, imo.
I believe he also said he’d like to return to the X side of Xenoblade soon, or something to that effect...

IF ANYTHING it could be an X prequel of some kind maybe, I think it could definitely benefit from a prequel before X DE and X part 2

also they said at least one game planned for the fiscal year

Last edited:

the unholy Grail

Smash Apprentice
I just had a frightful dream.

So you guys know how the majority of Xenoblade fans are disappointed in the lack of mii costumes? Well I just had a theory pop into my head saying that Xenoblade miis WERE planned along with the Aegis, but they were pushed back since Capcom wanted to promote Rise. Perhaps KOS-MOS mii was intended, but not now. There might still be a chance of her getting deconfirmed. I WOULD say the same thing happened with Heihachi since he was conspicuously left out of Terry's fighting game themed mii pack, only to be killed off because Min Min was coming and she's from another fighting game.

I get the situations are different but hey. Food for thought.

Last edited:

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
It's kinda hilarious that the new Reimu fighting game is getting localized and released next month and Reimu was the next reveal in the bogus 5chan leak. Nah, sorry I still dont believe the guy got Pyra/Mythra wrong for KOS-MOS. He literally said KOS-MOS from Xenosaga after all. Obviously 100% fake but I wanted to note how stupid hilarious it seems looking back now that we are getting that Touhou game localized.

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
A Xenoblade Chronicles X is a no-brainer, you don't need an industry insider to confirm its existence. It's the only notable, compatible first-party game outside of Star Fox Zero and Kirby and the Rainbow Curse to not receive a Switch port.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Ok so remember my theory about leakbait? Now that Hayabusa is disconfirmed I was thinking my theory about leakbait might actually be real. Hayabusa was in rumours since fighter pass 1 and then slowly emerged in fighter pass 2 again only to be 100% disconfirmed by Yasuda. Why would he talk about Hayabusa if he were under NDA? He wouldn't be allowed to and according to Imran here there's consequences for saying a character is actually in smash: https://www.resetera.com/threads/su...ood-takes-aegis.388373/page-123#post-60783574

And now we have a Monster hunter spirit event plus the mii costumes. It might make sense that some names were used as bait by Nintendo to trick leakers much like how fighter pack #5 worked. This could be bad because it means Reimu, KOS-MOS, Falcom, or League of Legends could be part of the bait too. Since nobody heard about Pyra and Mythra and the direct was delayed because of the pandemic it makes me think that Pyra and Mythra were supposed to be a earlier reveal and their reveal managed to be heavily protected from leakers. What do you guys think about this?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ok so remember my theory about leakbait? Now that Hayabusa is disconfirmed I was thinking my theory about leakbait might actually be real. Hayabusa was in rumours since fighter pass 1 and then slowly emerged in fighter pass 2 again only to be 100% disconfirmed by Yasuda. Why would he talk about Hayabusa if he were under NDA? He wouldn't be allowed to and according to Imran here there's consequences for saying a character is actually in smash: https://www.resetera.com/threads/su...ood-takes-aegis.388373/page-123#post-60783574

And now we have a Monster hunter spirit event plus the mii costumes. It might make sense that some names were used as bait by Nintendo to trick leakers much like how fighter pack #5 worked. This could be bad because it means Reimu, KOS-MOS, Falcom, or League of Legends could be part of the bait too. Since nobody heard about Pyra and Mythra and the direct was delayed because of the pandemic it makes me think that Pyra and Mythra were supposed to be a earlier reveal and their reveal managed to be heavily protected from leakers. What do you guys think about this?
Crash as well... that could have been bait

GolisoPower

Smash Master

Honestly, I feel that this could be a double-edged sword. While yes, these names could be part of the bait, we also have to keep in mind that there have been cases before like with Banjo & Steve where characters with strong ties with their respective games said something detrimental to throw them off. Nintendo has been stepping it up when it comes to gaslighting us as far as character names for Smash are concerned, so honestly it could go either way.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Back on this;
If somebody involved with a character coming to Smash said something publicly about that character in Smash, the comment would not still be up to see it.
Does that mean Nintendo would C&D that person who made the comment, or that they’d even scrap that character? I’m a bit confused

I do 100% agree that Hayabusa was leakbait though. I recall someone said something about Nintendo PR people “not being allowed to talk about Hayabusa” or something, like shortly before Byleth’s reveal. maybe that’s why

Last edited:

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Back on this;

Does that mean Nintendo would C&D that person who made the comment, or that they’d even scrap that character? I’m a bit confused

I do 100% agree that Hayabusa was leakbait though. I recall someone said something about Nintendo PR people “not being allowed to talk about Hayabusa” or something, like shortly before Byleth’s reveal. maybe that’s why
Looks like they would remove it or C & D yes. The reason Grant Kirkhope got away with it is because he's a composer and the whole "dont hold your breath" about Banjo was entirely vague. It was not a yes or no answer and even then the guy was involved with one song. And yes, I forgot to mention crash. I feel people are playing it too safe with him.

Last edited:

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
A Xenoblade Chronicles X is a no-brainer, you don't need an industry insider to confirm its existence. It's the only notable, compatible first-party game outside of Star Fox Zero and Kirby and the Rainbow Curse to not receive a Switch port.
It's also a game that needs to be almost completely reworked in order to be received well in a world where it no longer is the only open-world Nintendo game or the only original JRPG available 3/4ths into its console's life cycle. When Takahashi said a re-release would be expensive he knew what he was talking about, considering he's well aware of the things that went wrong mechanically.

Last edited:

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
It's also a game that needs to be almost completely reworked in order to be received well in a world where it no longer is the only open-world Nintendo game or the only original JRPG available 3/4ths into its console's life cycle. When Takahashi said a re-release would be expensive he knew what he was talking about, considering he's well aware of the things that went wrong mechanically.
Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition is a game that was reworked. Monolith Soft is much larger now than it was when the original X game came out and considering their record-breaking profits thanks to Splatoon 2 and Animal Crossing New Horizons, they have the capital to rework the game. Nintendo just needs to give the greenlight for the enhanced remaster which they've likely already done.

Last edited:

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition is a game that was reworked.
I think we're using different definitions of "reworked" if yours describes minor QoL updates and getting technical artists to do higher-poly assets. Gameplay-wise DE is the same experience as to be consistent with the development philosophy of being faithful (graphics were Monolith's "one regret" when it came to the original game), whereas X -- in addition to inherently having less compatibility with a system that isn't the Wii U than pretty much any other first-party Wii U game outside of Nintendo Land -- needs to throw the idea of faithfulness out the window regardless, for a wide number of reasons.

For example, the online element either needs to be fully realized or scrapped altogether. Many aspects of X feel formulated around an MMO ecosystem that doesn't exist in the final product, such as extremely incongruous difficulty scaling that either is intended for multiplayer group setups (with BLADE Scout being the unsatisfactory compromise) or assumes more time is spent ignoring the main story than is realistic for a single-player game. This, the fundamentally flawed UI that in its current state wouldn't even be readable on the Switch screen, and most other hurdles can be overcome, but not with an amount of effortlessness that should lead you to be establishing any patterns between it and the typical Wii U re-release. If it turns out to have fallen within that pattern I would be surprised but more importantly disappointed, since as someone who's a fan of the game I don't think it's controversial for me to say that I don't want a mostly straightforward conversion of Off-TV Play to be people's introduction to it, especially with the comparatively high standards XC2 and XC:DE have set on the same system.

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
I think we're using different definitions of "reworked" if yours describes minor QoL updates and getting technical artists to do higher-poly assets. Gameplay-wise DE is the same experience as to be consistent with the development philosophy of being faithful (graphics were Monolith's "one regret" when it came to the original game), whereas X -- in addition to inherently having less compatibility with a system that isn't the Wii U than pretty much any other first-party Wii U game outside of Nintendo Land -- needs to throw the idea of faithfulness out the window regardless, for a wide number of reasons.

For example, the online element either needs to be fully realized or scrapped altogether. Many aspects of X feel formulated around an MMO ecosystem that doesn't exist in the final product, such as extremely incongruous difficulty scaling that either is intended for multiplayer group setups (with BLADE Scout being the unsatisfactory compromise) or assumes more time is spent ignoring the main story than is realistic for a single-player game. This, the fundamentally flawed UI that in its current state wouldn't even be readable on the Switch screen, and most other hurdles can be overcome, but not with an amount of effortlessness that should lead you to be establishing any patterns between it and the typical Wii U re-release. If it turns out to have fallen within that pattern I would be surprised but more importantly disappointed, since as someone who's a fan of the game I don't think it's controversial for me to say that I don't want a mostly straightforward conversion of Off-TV Play to be people's introduction to it, especially with the comparatively high standards XC2 and XC:DE have set on the same system.
All your points are completely valid. That being said, the Monolith Soft of 2020-2021 is not the Monolith Soft of 2014. They now have in-house UI/UX designers and their overall staff count is much larger. They have the know-how and the capital to convert the game to Nintendo Switch. All it takes is for Nintendo to give the greenlight and fund the development for the game.

Last edited:

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
Just came here to check up on how's everyone doing. Kinda sad now the hype died down.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Any thoughts on Luxin's Gnosis video? I feel like all of this will come true and Gnosis really are the future villains of Xenoblade. It doesn't have to exactly be the gnosis from Xenosaga but it could be them in another form and much deadlier. I've been talking about this in this thread for too long now and i'm glad Luxin thinks the same haha.

Just came here to check up on how's everyone doing. Kinda sad now the hype died down.
Yeah, I mean like I already said countless times i'm SUPER happy with the Aegis in smash. To put things into perspective I haven't touched another character since they came out even. Do I want KOS-MOS? OF COURSE I STILL DO. I know everyone's hype died down but we should wait until the very last character before we throw in the towel.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hey so uh

an old IP from Monolith and Namco is making a comeback...

probably not the one you were expecting though...

...who knows tho, BK is even MORE obscure than Xenosaga and it has a song in Smash so... maybe if the rerelease does well then...?

also, it’s being trademarked for Europe. Neither game had a PAL release

actually it was only Origins that didn’t release in PAL areas I think. But still

slight tangent but ES. Dinah ES. Dinah Thugstas got banned on Era, likely cause his sources were fake. So... I guess we can disregard anything he has to say (much to my chagrin cuz he promised an X port...)

Last edited:
Top Bottom