• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KOS-MOS Returning to Battle: DLC Season 2.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
We should be able to get to page 100 before midnight.

Was I right or was I right?

Last edited:

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Thing is with KOS-MOS her Xenoblade 2 design is the most nintedofied design and it's incredibly friendly for smash bros. There would be no issue with that getting into smash. The skirt shouldn't be a issue. I mean, people want Rex right? Myhtra has already been censored in her smash spirit and that outfit was even added to Xenoblade 2 so they could just censor KOS-MOS's skirt very easily by giving her spats or something.

And yes page 100! It got a little heated in here but glad we are back to normal discussion.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Thing is with KOS-MOS her Xenoblade 2 design is the most nintedofied design and it's incredibly friendly for smash bros. There would be no issue with that getting into smash. The skirt shouldn't be a issue. I mean, people want Rex right? Myhtra has already been censored in her smash spirit and that outfit was even added to Xenoblade 2 so they could just censor KOS-MOS's skirt very easily by giving her spats or something.

And yes page 100! It got a little heated in here but glad we are back to normal discussion.
Why people assume the skirt would be a issue when Mega Man is naked? :4pacman:

I'll see myself out now.

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I'm not one to come in and try and cause trouble in other peoples threads, but this bothers me a lot.

How is this tweet

Which is also the tweet that most people are basing their ratings off of, untrue? It's literally right here. Like you don't have to like the fact we're rating one of your characters low but don't pretend that we're just making stuff up.
The Xenoblade Chronicles remakester sold more than the original game so that market analysis doesn't even hold any statistical weight any more.

Luty

Smash Cadet
The Xenoblade Chronicles remakester sold more than the original game so that market analysis doesn't even hold any statistical weight any more.
The thing is, everyone is looking at the HD part of the situation. This does not mean there cannot be a standard definition port of Xenosaga I-III over to the Switch or any other console. Why they have not put it up on a digital shop in any capacity is anyone's guess. KOS-MOS would have a lot more standing if they ever did that. Maybe they are more focused on moving forward with a KOS-MOS project rather than looking back?

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
The thing is, everyone is looking at the HD part of the situation. This does not mean there cannot be a standard definition port of Xenosaga I-III over to the Switch or any other console. Why they have not put it up on a digital shop in any capacity is anyone's guess. KOS-MOS would have a lot more standing if they ever did that. Maybe they are more focused on moving forward with a KOS-MOS project rather than looking back?
The Xenosaga trilogy is a visually and mechanically disjointed game, I don't know any other direct gaming trilogy that shifts both art style and gameplay mechanics as drastically as Xenosaga does so a standard definition re-release wouldn't be the smartest idea from a branding perspective. Bandai Namco knows that KOS-MOS makes money, it's why she's arguably Namco's cross-over mascot character. What's struggling to make money was the Xenosaga mythos.

FightingGhost73

Smash Cadet
The Xenosaga trilogy is a visually and mechanically disjointed game, I don't know any other direct gaming trilogy that shifts both art style and gameplay mechanics as drastically as Xenosaga does so a standard definition re-release wouldn't be the smartest idea from a branding perspective. Bandai Namco knows that KOS-MOS makes money, it's why she's arguably Namco's cross-over mascot character. What's struggling to make money was the Xenosaga mythos.
More reason why they'd prolly try to reboot it within the Xenoblade series, especially with how the Future Connected turned out

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
More reason why they'd prolly try to reboot it within the Xenoblade series, especially with how the Future Connected turned out
That's not going to happen. Xenoblade is a Nintendo exclusive franchise, the Xenosaga cameos were just there because Bandai Namco gave permission for KOS-MOS and T-Elos to be used. Xenosaga, as is, is a PlayStation 2 exclusive trilogy, there's absolutely no way that Nintendo wants to divert their consumers to competitor platforms.

Luty

Smash Cadet
That's not going to happen. Xenoblade is a Nintendo exclusive franchise, the Xenosaga cameos were just there because Bandai Namco gave permission for KOS-MOS and T-Elos to be used. Xenosaga, as is, is a PlayStation 2 exclusive trilogy, there's absolutely no way that Nintendo wants to divert their consumers to competitor platforms.
KOS-MOS is not a PS2 exclusive character, fortunately. She can show up as a main character (if not the protagonist) of a Nintendo game. Wasn't she one of the main characters in Super Robot Taisen: Endless Frontier for the Nintendo DS? More than just a cross-over cameo, I believe.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
KOS-MOS is not a PS2 exclusive character, fortunately. She can show up as a main character (if not the protagonist) of a Nintendo game. Wasn't she one of the main characters in Super Robot Taisen: Endless Frontier for the Nintendo DS? More than just a cross-over cameo, I believe.
Also the project x zone series. Met Ryu and Ken in both games, and three Nintendo characters (Chrom, Lucina and Mecha-Fiora) in the second

Xenoblade 2 as well where she also met Shulk and Elma

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
My original point was about Xenoblade and Xenosaga never being directly connected because the latter is a PS2 trilogy. Going back to topic, KOS-MOS as a fighter for Smash Bros is likely and it's pretty illogical to think otherwise.

the unholy Grail

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone. So after the mess that was yesterday I just wanted to come forth with an apology of sorts on what happened. First off, to the RTC users who showed up here, I'm sorry. My name calling was childish and uncalled for, and only now did I realize that I only succeeded in stoking the fire between the KOS-MOS thread and the rest of smashboards discourse and that was not my intention. With that being said however, I come here to defend my stance on KOS-MOS; Harada's tweet is like the only thing going against KOS-MOS for smash but even that is dubious at best. As many have pointed out already, that doesn't automatically kill her chances like so many detractors believe in. Xenosaga being over doesn't mean KOS-MOS herself cannot be brought into more games. That was never the case from 2006 onwards, and will likely stay that way for as long as Namco is involved in making games. Namco is aware of KOS-MOS being a popular character hence why they keep bringing her into games long after xenosaga 3 concluded.

Regarding my Geno rant: some parts were incorrect like how I just assumed Geno used to be a top contender over at RTC. In actuality, that never appeared to be the case and I foolishly assumed he was big in likelihood among users given his popularity in speculation. My main point was to compare the dichotomy between Geno and other obscure characters like KOS-MOS and to show why it made no sense as to why everyone liked/thought he was likely before the mii costume, when people automatically disregard KOS-MOS. For the record, I wasn't offended by people not wanting KOS-MOS. Nobody is obligated to agree with me or anyone for that matter when it comes to characters. I encourage healthy conversation, but when the RTC thread is just as if not more guilty of berating KOS-MOS and her supporters, that really bothered me. It's no secret that KOS-MOS is a very controversial character to support for smash. there is obvious bad blood between us and the haters and I don't think anyone can deny that. But I'm not going to let others detract who I want in smash, and even if others disagree, I will try to converse with them as long as it doesn't get bad. But it seems everyone in other threads DESPISE her and that's what makes me not want to waste my time with RTC or any other support thread because more often than not, it gets ugly real fast.

Finally, many of us in the past have tried conversing with RTC for KOS-MOS and it seems nothing has changed. We have tried to have discussions on her possible inclusion over on RTC, and we are almost always ratio' d hard for it. ES. Dinah ES. Dinah and others have given RTC multiple chances and it just ends up being the same song and dance we are unfortunately accustomed to. We have become the butt of many jokes and targeted by trolls and it's just really sad when all were trying to do is give our favorite character support for smash just like everyone else. That is why we keep to ourselves. That is all I have to say. I wish to continue talking with everyone here with no more discourse involving this thread and the rest of smashboards, and I encourage the same to you all. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
Competitor platform? The PS2?

I don't see the issue in what the other poster said. I mean, it's really, really obvious they are already trying to reboot the Xenosaga mythos, or rather, the Perfect Works mythos within Xenoblade to anyone familiar with these games. It's the most logical thing to do now that they have a stable series going on.
It's honestly kinda silly the way people think of the relationship between Nintendo and Monolith. They are aware of their history, their games and acquired them with full knowledge of everything. Making Xenoblade a Xeno game in the first place came from Nintendo themselves. Genki Yokota, a member of Nintendo EPD who essentially has the role of intermediary between Nintendo and Monolith, describes himself as a huge Xenogears and Xenosaga fan (probably part of why he landed the position in the first place). The way some people talk you'd think they randomly bought them on a whim without even knowing who they were, or that they won them at a lottery or something. If Nintendo was so afraid of "diverting attention" you'd think they would have put a stop to Kosmos cameos a long time ago, instead of literally endorsing them.

I never expected a continuation, or a remake, or whatever of the older Xeno games, they already left their mark and paved the way for Xenoblade which is where we are now. I do think it's silly of Square/Namco not to simply make them digitally available or something because I can't imagine that being remotely expensive, and because they still sell merch of them anyway. From my perspective they are just leaving easy money on the table but what do I know, apparently the market analysis from Bamco (who has treated the Switch very peculiarly, to say the least) says there is no audience for smaller JRPGs on Switch or something.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Xenosaga's not PS2 exclusive. Back during the Nintendo DS era, the first two games were remade for that system in particular in a single DS cart.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Xenosaga's not PS2 exclusive. Back during the Nintendo DS era, the first two games were remade for that system in particular in a single DS cart.
It was also pretty much a reboot of the first two games writing wise to segue into Episode III smoother. If they rebooted it that way, they can reboot it again including 3 if they wanted

or just I guess full HD remake of the DS story and 3 as is I ain’t picky

FightingGhost73

Smash Cadet

I don't see the issue in what the other poster said. I mean, it's really, really obvious they are already trying to reboot the Xenosaga mythos, or rather, the Perfect Works mythos within Xenoblade to anyone familiar with these games. It's the most logical thing to do now that they have a stable series going on.
It's honestly kinda silly the way people think of the relationship between Nintendo and Monolith. They are aware of their history, their games and acquired them with full knowledge of everything. Making Xenoblade a Xeno game in the first place came from Nintendo themselves. Genki Yokota, a member of Nintendo EPD who essentially has the role of intermediary between Nintendo and Monolith, describes himself as a huge Xenogears and Xenosaga fan (probably part of why he landed the position in the first place). The way some people talk you'd think they randomly bought them on a whim without even knowing who they were, or that they won them at a lottery or something. If Nintendo was so afraid of "diverting attention" you'd think they would have put a stop to Kosmos cameos a long time ago, instead of literally endorsing them.

I never expected a continuation, or a remake, or whatever of the older Xeno games, they already left their mark and paved the way for Xenoblade which is where we are now. I do think it's silly of Square/Namco not to simply make them digitally available or something because I can't imagine that being remotely expensive, and because they still sell merch of them anyway. From my perspective they are just leaving easy money on the table but what do I know, apparently the market analysis from Bamco (who has treated the Switch very peculiarly, to say the least) says there is no audience for smaller JRPGs on Switch or something.
This is my point exactly, if none of the parties really didn't care about Kosmos then they wouldn't have given all those cameos, much less make refences to future connected and her and T-elos redesign which they really didn't have to do if they were a mere cameo like Shulk, Fiora and Elma, they are planning more for them in some way

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Xenoblade 3 can crossover all Xeno games and that's what I think will happen. There's just so much evidence for it. Honestly, I think the Artifice Siren model kit already confirmed that a long time ago https://xenomira.wordpress.com/2018...ion-on-siren-included-in-the-siren-model-kit/

"According to a report filed ten years after the formation of Aoidos, the Gate was, as the name implied, a gate. It had the function of a door that could connect multiple universes. It is not hard to imagine, were a “Multiverse Joint” (Eng. localization: meta-universe manifold) to exist on the surface of the planet, that there would be catastrophic consequences for Earth as a whole if an accident were to happen"

FightingGhost73

Smash Cadet
Xenoblade 3 can crossover all Xeno games and that's what I think will happen. There's just so much evidence for it. Honestly, I think the Artifice Siren model kit already confirmed that a long time ago https://xenomira.wordpress.com/2018...ion-on-siren-included-in-the-siren-model-kit/

"According to a report filed ten years after the formation of Aoidos, the Gate was, as the name implied, a gate. It had the function of a door that could connect multiple universes. It is not hard to imagine, were a “Multiverse Joint” (Eng. localization: meta-universe manifold) to exist on the surface of the planet, that there would be catastrophic consequences for Earth as a whole if an accident were to happen"
Even if they don't connect all of the Xeno games and focus solely on the Xenoblade Canon, that doesn't mean they won't reboot or remake xenosaga in a more roundabout way like redoing the whole story for it to fit in with the XB timeline, It's either gonna be Xenoblade 3 or Origins

MattX20

Smash Hero
Plus, if KOS-MOS did get in, she could probably count as a Xenoblade/Xeno universe representative anyway. Much like how Geno, despite being owed by a different company, is a Mario universe character. There's been substantial demand for more Xenoblade/Xeno reps in general since Shulk's inclusion in 4 and including KOS-MOS would also give a second Bandai Namco rep in Smash and fulfill both.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I'm going to end KOS MOS' day in RTC in about an hour around 8pm est, if any of you want to come buy and just give a want score you are more than welcome to. I know that you all might not like the nature of how it is a debate thread, but you all are more than welcome of coming in and discussing what Xenosaga means to you.

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman

I absolutely believe that the Xenoblade Chronicles franchise is a modern retelling of Xenogears Perfect Works starting with Xenoblade Chronicles X onwards with the first game in the series being retroactively connected after the games' success.

What I feel won't happen is Xenoblade being the platform to directly continue Xenosaga. Xenosaga is owned by Bandai Namco and if that series ever get any sort of continuation, it's not going to be via Xenoblade.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I absolutely believe that the Xenoblade Chronicles franchise is a modern retelling of Xenogears Perfect Works starting with Xenoblade Chronicles X onwards with the first game in the series being retroactively connected after the games' success.

What I feel won't happen is Xenoblade being the platform to directly continue Xenosaga. Xenosaga is owned by Bandai Namco and if that series ever get any sort of continuation, it's not going to be via Xenoblade.
Even though we just firmly established Xenosaga is in the same universe and it's clear that Bandai Namco isn't stingy with its IPs like Square Enix is.

⛧Lord Metallium⛧

Smash Apprentice
2021 and i still have not given up on Kos-Mos though sadly we.must remember JONESY is high play and still is he can stillnsteal a spot....

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
2021 and i still have not given up on Kos-Mos though sadly we.must remember JONESY is high play and still is he can stillnsteal a spot....
Nah. I think the insiders were just ****posting.

and thank GOD we got Sephiroth instead that night. Calling it now, Fortnite will get either a mii or spirit event

Luty

Smash Cadet
No dude I dot want fortnitr or jonesy or anything related to it in smash at all.
That is kind of a toxic way to look at it. If you get KOS-MOS and Dante as playable characters, you should not care if anything else really makes it in, I think. Unless you have more of a reason than just "I hat that game/guy." I do not care for Fortnite, either. There is nothing complaining about it can do since they likely already decided on everything that is coming out for the remainder of the Fighter Pass.

Also, make sure to rate Dante on the RTC thread if you want today. He's definitely in my top three characters I would like to see. Donte in Playstation All Stars was not what I was hoping for, after all.

MattX20

Smash Hero
To be perfectly honest, I prefer Phoenix since I'm more familiar with his series over Dante and his series. But to avoid getting off topic for too long, recall how Banjo before his Smash appearance would still continue to get merchandise and cameos in other games? KOS-MOS has the same thing going on in her favor with not just her various cameos through multiple Namco IPs but also the recent statue of her appearance in Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Luty

Smash Cadet
To be perfectly honest, I prefer Phoenix since I'm more familiar with his series over Dante and his series. But to avoid getting off topic for too long, recall how Banjo before his Smash appearance would still continue to get merchandise and cameos in other games? KOS-MOS has the same thing going on in her favor with not just her various cameos through multiple Namco IPs but also the recent statue of her appearance in Xenoblade Chronicles 2.
Yeah, I just know Metallium's preference based on his past posts. Not just telling everyone to exclusively rate Dante. Haha.

Uh huh. And, KOS-MOS got a figure before Nia, Rex, Morag, Brigid, Zeke, and Pandora. That is, if they ever even get one. She is the rarest, yet most popular and profitable character from Xenoblade 2 aside from Mythra and Pyra. Though, even that could be arguable since KOS-MOS has had so many figures, statues and even a promotional Dollfie Dream made seven years after Xenosaga III was released.

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
Even though we just firmly established Xenosaga is in the same universe and it's clear that Bandai Namco isn't stingy with its IPs like Square Enix is.
And as I mentioned earlier, they're just glorified cameos. You can complete Xenoblade Chronicles 2 without ever interacting with KOS-MOS or T-Elos, they serve no narrative importance. I don't see that changing for Xenoblade.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Well I wouldn’t call them glorified cameos especially since KOS-MOS and T-ELOS Re got official art with the world tree. Also if you do KOS-MOS’s heart to heart at the end of the game it’s pretty clear she’s the original from Xenosaga and is smarter than every single blade. The only way that can happen is through the multiverse gate. I think she’s canon and you are free to disagree. I’m just saying there’s too much evidence for her being in the same universe. I think you should watch this luxin video

Anyhow in other news I was looking through random KOS-MOS stuff and found that the KOS-MOS Re figurine was even on JPN news and #1 at AmiAmi in 2020 which is Japan’s biggest online figurine market. While it means nothing for smash really at least we can see that people do like her in Japan right?

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/96880dc5eee9b1320b6f82f6b08172843c7003ba

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Well, multiverse technically, but yes. Donkey Kong, Yoshi, and Mario live in a Shared Universe, but strictly use their own icons. I'd imagine the same would be done for Kosy if she ever joins.

Well I wouldn’t call them glorified cameos especially since KOS-MOS and T-ELOS Re got official art with the world tree. Also if you do KOS-MOS’s heart to heart at the end of the game it’s pretty clear she’s the original from Xenosaga and is smarter than every single blade. The only way that can happen is through the multiverse gate. I think she’s canon and you are free to disagree. I’m just saying there’s too much evidence for her being in the same universe. I think you should watch this luxin video

Anyhow in other news I was looking through random KOS-MOS stuff and found that the KOS-MOS Re figurine was even on JPN news and #1 at AmiAmi in 2020 which is Japan’s biggest online figurine market. While it means nothing for smash really at least we can see that people do like her in Japan right?

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/96880dc5eee9b1320b6f82f6b08172843c7003ba
That's very impressive considering how she was doing in Amiami. She was at the top spot for like... a day or 2, then dropped to third, and then kinda just went down below, but it's nice to see that her figure is so desirable even now.

MattX20

Smash Hero
So, which voice actress do you think they would go for KOS-MOS? Or do you think it would be a Cloud/Sephiroth situation where they only use the Japanese VA?

Top Bottom