• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KOS-MOS Returning to Battle: DLC Season 2.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Yeah from what I've seen most people write off Gael'gar as some worse version of Amalthus in writing quality. Honestly that's generally all I've seen people say about him and that's kinda sad people aren't really digging deep on some of those things, even the Xeno-tubers that are known for that like Miiks.
I posted what I thought was the most blatant example but "not renouncing the past" is a theme that permeates all throughout Future Connected, even some relatively minor visual details, couple that with Takahashi's words and I really think it's something he was going for. Might write a longer post later.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So would you Xenoblade fans here be okay without another Xenoblade rep in Ultimate if we got KOS-MOS? I would. As long as we get a Xenoverse character, that is all I care about at the moment. Sure Elma is my number 1 in terms of Xenoverse characters, but anybody else would make me just as happy. To me, KOS-MOS would count as another Xenoblade rep.

Last edited:

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500
So would you Xenoblade fans here be okay without another Xenoblade rep in Ultimate if we got KOS-MOS? I would. As long as we get a Xenoverse character, that is all I care about at the moment. Sure Elma is my number 1 in terms of Xenoverse characters, but anybody else would make me just as happy. To me, KOS-MOS would count as another Xenoblade rep.
I personally wouldn't count KOS-MOS as a Xenoblade rep, but I do think she would be competing with characters from that series for a spot in the Fighter Pass. imo, the only reason KOS-MOS would get in Smash is if Monolith Soft/Takahashi wanted her in.

Bandai Namco, as a company, has clearly shown that they have no interest in reviving the Xenosaga Trilogy. And I don't see it being realistic to expect 1/3 of the Fighter Pass to be devoted to Monolith Soft (as much as I would like that to happen), so yeah.

Probably one reason why she gets a lot of hate from the Smash fanbase - her getting in Smash would hurt the chances for a Xenoblade character, as well as another Bandai Namco character.

To answer your question though, I would be happy. While Fiora, Melia, Elma or Rex would be enough to satisfy me, I kinda want to have that "holy ****, they're back" reaction again that I had with Snake, K. Rool, & Banjo.

Last edited:

the unholy Grail

Smash Apprentice
I personally wouldn't count KOS-MOS as a Xenoblade rep, but I do think she would be competing with characters from that series for a spot in the Fighter Pass. imo, the only reason KOS-MOS would get in Smash is if Monolith Soft/Takahashi wanted her in.

Bandai Namco, as a company, has clearly shown that they have no interest in reviving the Xenosaga Trilogy. And I don't see it being realistic to expect 1/3 of the Fighter Pass to be devoted to Monolith Soft (as much as I would like that to happen), so yeah.

Probably one reason why she gets a lot of hate from the Smash fanbase - her getting in Smash would hurt the chances for a Xenoblade character, as well as another Bandai Namco character.

To answer your question though, I would be happy. While Fiora, Melia, Elma or Rex would be enough to satisfy me, I kinda want to have that "holy ****, they're back" reaction again that I had with Snake, K. Rool, & Banjo.
Not just one reason. It's THE reason why there is a ton of hate towards KOS-MOS and her supporters. It all has to do with her general unfamiliarity among the smash community/speculation scene. it's very similar to the Catalina incident that happened near Ultimate's DLC. the community threw a freaking party commemorating her exclusion and finding out the fighting game she was meant to appear in turned out to be Granblue Fantasy Versus. some people call KOS-MOS irrelevant trash which is not true at all. That statement is VERY Ironic coming from the smash community (Y'all know who i'm referring to...) Her in smash also means she was the selected Namco rep which wouldn't sit well with fans who wanted a Tekken or Tales of rep in the pass. the same also applies to her chances vs. other xeno characters but something tells me the xenoblade community would be a little more understanding/happy if KOS-MOS was chosen seeing as they are from the same franchise. but yes, even in times of constant flaming about our wanted character, we march on supporting her till the end of smash's DLC. her recent rise in popularity due to those fake leaks and mysterious ultimate mod takedown have at least proven to work in her favor in terms of awareness/potential boosts in popularity for smash DLC inclusion or general support for the character. who knows? it might be enough to get her in smash 6 if she doesn't appear in the fighters pass vol. 2 though that last bit may be a bit too optimistic

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Allow me to clarify on something that's very important regarding the overall reception behind KOS-MOS (outside of the support base): From what I've seen, a fair amount of Xeno fans are pretty open about her possible inclusion over anyone else they're more familiar with, and it has to do with acknowledgement of seniority. There's also the exposure they had in Xenoblade 2 with her infamously difficult-to-obtain cameo appearance, and the fairly recent rise in attention thanks to all of the bull**** leaks.

This includes that one person who joined this forum and commented on this thread just to boast and gloat about the drunken cat leak being fake. Whatever pot they tried stirring backfired pretty badly, because all that happened within that time frame of the last couple of months in 2019 is boost her popularity further with the unassuming Smash crowd. Hell, we even got some naysayers as supporters, so that's an improvement in my book. If another Xenoblade character made it in somehow instead, I'd still be really happy, because I've become a fan of the Xeno franchise in general. Kosy just happens to be my #1.

Not just one reason. It's THE reason why there is a ton of hate towards KOS-MOS and her supporters. It all has to do with her general unfamiliarity among the smash community/speculation scene. it's very similar to the Catalina incident that happened near Ultimate's DLC. the community threw a freaking party commemorating her exclusion and finding out the fighting game she was meant to appear in turned out to be Granblue Fantasy Versus.
Yeah, that incident was quite sad. Personally, I'd like to see Artoria make it in with playable representation from the Fate Franchise and Type-Moon as a whole before Gran, Djeeta, or even Katalina. I'd be absolutely fine with a Granblue Fantasy rep though. I really dig their character designs, the general layout of their world, the music, and even the artwork itself. Imagine the hilarity if we got either-or after all.

Her in smash also means she was the selected Namco rep which wouldn't sit well with fans who wanted a Tekken or Tales of rep in the pass. the same also applies to her chances vs. other xeno characters but something tells me the xenoblade community would be a little more understanding/happy if KOS-MOS was chosen seeing as they are from the same franchise.
Sadly, there is definitely a lot of in-fighting within the Bandai Namco support base. If we look over at Capcom's side, fans are generally excited about the prospect of most candidates possibly making it into the roster as playable fighters. Unfortunately, it's almost do-or-die over here, and given the Chrono-Trigger–like nostalgia that Tales of Symphonia receives, along with its competitor Tekken and its significance to the fighting game genre, they both often look at Xenosaga as a failure franchise and "waifu pandering", which instigates the bravado they have over a character they feel isn't or shouldn't be rooted for. Meanwhile, newer fans of Takahashi's games, namely the Xenoblade community, are far more open about the possibility. We've already established our points so going back on it is needless repitition.

her recent rise in popularity due to those fake leaks and mysterious ultimate mod takedown have at least proven to work in her favor in terms of awareness/potential boosts in popularity for smash DLC inclusion or general support for the character. who knows? it might be enough to get her in smash 6 if she doesn't appear in the fighters pass vol. 2 though that last bit may be a bit too optimistic
That mod takedown was just a coordinated troll move that coincided with the Game Awards speculation. I'm 90% sure that person (AKA our "drunken cat leaker", if they're still here) was responsible in orchestrating (or at least partaking in) a reported takedown. The fact that Nintendo never even bothered removing the other videos of her just confirms the suspicions I had day 1, even when the modder I commissioned notified me in private. That's just the sad reality of it, so we're left in the dark like everyone else.

Last edited:

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
That mod takedown was just a coordinated troll move that coincided with the Game Awards speculation. I'm 90% sure that person (AKA our "drunken cat leaker", if they're still here) was responsible in orchestrating (or at least partaking in) a reported takedown. The fact that Nintendo never even bothered removing the other videos of her just confirms the suspicions I had day 1, even when the modder I commissioned notified me in private. That's just the sad reality of it, so we're left in the dark like everyone else.
Well, i've had my suspicions about that mod takedown for the longest time but it still makes zero sense to me. The video itself is still down so if the person really wanted to piss KOS-MOS fans off then they absolutely failed. I mean, keeping the video down for the longest time if it really isn't Nintendo makes zero sense if the goal was to piss them off. AFAIK, she's pretty long gone from fake leaks atm. As for the other point on why didn't Nintendo take down the other videos, well... all I can say to that is i'm not entirely sure but I do remember Nintendo not bothering to copyright any other videos other than the originals. I believe this happened with the Geno takedowns also and Sans. I can't prove it obviously but Nintendo usually makes one mistake knowing they screwed up and then they dont bother again... kinda like the SNK trademark leak. I'm not sure if that's a good example but yeah. I'm not 100% convinced it was a troll strike yet but that doesn't matter anymore. Unless Takahashi specifically asks for her then I see her chances just as good as any xeno rep like Melia or Fiora but she has Namco field advantage if Lloyd is a mii costume for sure. Lloyd isn't even guaranteed either. We know tales fest got delayed to hell at this point and Tales of Arise will probably be the focus there since fans are wondering what the hell happened to news regarding that new entry. I'm not saying this eliminates Lloyd of course... I just dont see him happening right now since Heihachi was top Namco character in speculation and he became a mii costume. There's really no knowing but I think it is extremely likely for Lloyd to come back as a mii costume.

the unholy Grail

Smash Apprentice
I'm willing to bet Lloyd is gonna be a mii costume again.
I firmly believe that if there's ONE character to break the DLC mii costume rule, it's going to be Geno. The support for that little guy is unrivaled and cannot be understated. That is, unless we get Rex as the outlier, then anything is possible. including Lloyd's costume returning and Geno getting promoted to Deluxe costume status. I want to say the Lloyd costume has a 75% of returning, but as we've already discussed, only time will tell. at this point I just want closure on whether or not Lloyd's costume is returning because it's beginning to make me nervous/excited as to who will potentially be spared or axed.

I'm very anxious about our next reveal though. As many of you already know, there's been a lot of evidence supporting the next challenger will be announced very soon ranging from the new 711 ad in japan, the next Amiibo theory date approaching with Joker and Hero, and the in-game smash event file numbers being mysteriously skipped.Travis Touchdown seems to be making rounds among the speculation scene thanks to Suda51's peculiar "no comment" response if Travis will be smash DLC (Which is odd considering he's been VERY vocal about having Travis in smash in the past and also being a close friend of sakurai.) but I suppose for promotion-esque choices, Impa from Age of Calamity or a gen 8 pokemon could be the next in line. Speaking of Pokemon, it was announced earlier today that were getting news about the Crown Tundra DLC tomorrow. This is huge because the other DLC the 711 ad promoted was Sword and Shield's expansion pass. This implies that if were getting news about Crown Tundra tomorrow, a smash reveal is guaranteed to follow suit.

Last edited:

Suiren_Kirin

Smash Cadet
I still trust that KOS-MOS will reach the title of fighter in smash, more and more Xenoblade becomes a more important saga in Nintendo, and monolith is still an important developer, I also expect something from Xenoblade 2, in general it is impossible for them to abandon this saga and don't give them another representative when it most deserves it.

The Xeno saga has a great future, remember this

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
Monolith Soft was founded on October 1st. Dunno if it means anything for this reveal but I thought I would throw this information out there. Hopefully we do get a Xeno character.
My brain says that anniversaries rarely matter. My heart says that tomorrow is KOS-MOS's day, especially if a third-party pick is in the cards.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Monolith Soft was founded on October 1st. Dunno if it means anything for this reveal but I thought I would throw this information out there. Hopefully we do get a Xeno character.
I don't think it means anything since FP7 was most likely originally planned to be one of the E3 reveals before E3 got cancelled.

the unholy Grail

Smash Apprentice
My brain says that anniversaries rarely matter. My heart says that tomorrow is KOS-MOS's day, especially if a third-party pick is in the cards.
Its important to remember that everythings been delayed because of the virus. Sakurai himself has stated anniversaries rarely mean anything for smash character announcements and even if an anniversary reveal was planned, its unlikely to happen since corona screwed everyone's schedules. as for the next character, i'm expecting to be disappointed so I fully anticipate a pokemon character like rillaboom or urshifu just so I dont get my dreams crushed again.

the unholy Grail

Smash Apprentice
My disappointment is pretty much immeasurable.
"And my day is ruined.."

nah but I don't know about you folks, but I am ok with Steve. Iconic game, no more in-fighting with Banjo, and he looks very unique and creative. I'm indifferent to Minecraft, but even I can't deny it's success and legacy. There are a lot of people happy for him and it's always nice to see others enjoy something I don't. Can't say he's enticing me to buy the pass though...still waiting for my wishlist characters Sol Badguy and KOS-MOS.

Anyways, we should keep our eyes peeled for Saturday's "Mii Costume Massacre." . Here's hoping KOS-MOS is not among the unfortunate victims.

Last edited:

Suiren_Kirin

Smash Cadet
The only good thing about this is that Nintendo is the one that proposes mostly the new fighters, and taking into account that they hold Monolith Soft in high esteem it is a matter of time before its director, Tetsuya Takahashi, proposes a representative for the xenoblade saga now which is more important than ever and is planning new titles.

Well, add to that that Takahashi's favorite character by far is KOS-MOS, we recently saw how he is at the center of his entire universe in the anniversary artwork. It is a matter of time before Monolith proposed to KOS-MOS, and Sakurai in the past already saw her with good potential and moveset.

As for Steve, he has left me somewhat indifferent but it is undeniable that he deserves a place as a great title

Hopefully the stars align in the next announcement

⛧Lord Metallium⛧

Smash Apprentice
The only good thing about this is that Nintendo is the one that proposes mostly the new fighters, and taking into account that they hold Monolith Soft in high esteem it is a matter of time before its director, Tetsuya Takahashi, proposes a representative for the xenoblade saga now which is more important than ever and is planning new titles.

Well, add to that that Takahashi's favorite character by far is KOS-MOS, we recently saw how he is at the center of his entire universe in the anniversary artwork. It is a matter of time before Monolith proposed to KOS-MOS, and Sakurai in the past already saw her with good potential and moveset.

As for Steve, he has left me somewhat indifferent but it is undeniable that he deserves a place as a great title

Hopefully the stars align in the next announcement
Look i don't longer know at this point, steve in means now characters of famous series aka the mainstream/trending are the real deal now Kos-Mos is Underated and much people don't know anything about her

only 4 more spots if only Sakurai make more DLC seasons then i will say screw it and continue waiting but this is final and i mean come on this characters deserve more than steve..... the meme won now characters like FORTNITE JONESY IS POSSIBLE......

akarise

Smash Rookie
NNID
akarise
Switch FC
SW-5355-8287-4116
I understand why Steve was included as a character but I wonder how many people were seriously excited for his inclusion. It seems like most people are really surprised but not all that excited. Guess I still won't be returning to smash for a while since there hasn't been a DLC character I've really wanted to play yet.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
There are still 4 more slots left to go. It's not even halfway through yet
I really dont like Steve and everything in Minecraft is a huge turn off for me but I just dont see how this changes things for KOS-MOS now. They aren't only going to do mainstream characters. I agree... there's still 4 slots. Let's remain calm.

⛧Lord Metallium⛧

Smash Apprentice
I really dont like Steve and everything in Minecraft is a huge turn off for me but I just dont see how this changes things for KOS-MOS now. They aren't only going to do mainstream characters. I agree... there's still 4 slots. Let's remain calm.
One main problem dinah is the mainstream idiots from the community of fortnite,apex and overwatch, I did a thread explains what real characters are vs the ones from the mainstream media and its horrible how good characters are now views as underrated and not know.

Seriouslly the character that I really but really don't ever want to see is fortnite jonesy.

Last edited:

Suiren_Kirin

Smash Cadet
I don't think Jonesy enters smash, Sakurai wouldn't allow it, we are lucky that he is here to filter these types of decisions, I think he will make good decisions thinking of the community and making use of his experience as a player

My predictions are these:

76 - Min Min
77 - Steve / Alex

78 - Sora (It depends on Square's decision here, I want to think that they will put Sora before Geno, and there was already talk that Sakurai would like to work with Tetsuya nomura again in the future like he did with Cloud so I see possible now more considering that Kingdom heart is still a present saga that is going to begin a new narrative arc)

79 - Master Chief (He is a great icon that is also missing, and my doubt is that Master Chief is in competition with Doom Slayer, and since Steve came in I find it hard to believe that they put another representative but on the other hand he is a very important character to that is not being the Xbox mascot and always being present in the most characteristic characters in the industry)

80 - Xeno Rep (I'm sure that KOS-MOS, or in its defect Rex with Pyra / Mythra and Nia, is a representative that monolith deserves, and as I said before, Takahashi will want to fight to see his baby in action)

81 - This last one should be a bombshell to close so I bet on Crash (It is rare that Activision does not agree to include it in Smash when that would mean more money and publicity, it is a win win for both and I am sure they already have it spoken and on the way)

-----------------------

From here, being very optimistic, it may happen that they want to add 3 or 4 more independent characters without Pass and without stage, Geno, Ryu Hayabusa, Rayman or even some other surprise would enter very well here.

All this is already a lot of speculation but these would be what I think is most likely in relation to demand / importance

:151:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So, a second Namco costume returned this wave - Gil from Tower of Druaga.

some people think Lloyd will be next and he’ll come with a JRPG character. I don’t necessarily think this is the case.

they also think this is bad news for a Namco rep in the pass, but we got two Capcom costumes in 4 before Ryu - Proto Man and I think Mega Man EXE in Mewtwo’s costume wave so I don’t think this would mean anything in the grand scheme of things

what do you guys think?

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman

some people think Lloyd will be next and he’ll come with a JRPG character. I don’t necessarily think this is the case.

they also think this is bad news for a Namco rep in the pass, but we got two Capcom costumes in 4 before Ryu - Proto Man and I think Mega Man EXE in Mewtwo’s costume wave so I don’t think this would mean anything in the grand scheme of things

what do you guys think?
I think Lloyd both becoming the fighter himself or coming with a Bamco/unrelated fighter as a costume are fairly likely. Only time will tell, but for now, the fact that they've slowly done returning Bamco Mii Costumes with each character does seem odd. If Lloyd comes with a completely unrelated fighter though, I could see it making a Bamco fighter less likely. Not impossible to be sure as it could just be unrelated, but less probable. Now as for what this means for KOS-MOS, well I'd say she's in the same spot, just one less possible candidate left (and I don't think Gil was seen as much of one, despite how Tower of Druaga has been around for a long, long while.)

ZevBenjamin

Smash Apprentice

what do you guys think?
If Lloyd comes back with an unrelated fighter, we probably are not getting a BAMCO rep.
Eitherway, Lloyd is either coming back with a BAMCO rep or with the former. (He will be mii costumed based off of current smash 4 DLC mii costume trends).

My personal opinion, Lloyd's inevitably going to return as a mii costume alongside a new fighter.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace

what do you guys think?
KOS-MOS is still in a good place but Gil returning might mean no Namco rep at all but I personally dont believe that. It's going to be between Lloyd or KOS-MOS to get the spot. It could also go to something like Soulcalibur but I highly doubt it. If Travis got Mii'd I can see someone like nightmare get a mii costume. My personal hope is that after looking at Steve's moveset that they went with KOS-MOS because of her moveset potential alone. That at least gives her more of a fighting chance. I'm of course not saying that Lloyd has no potential so dont misquote me but i'm just saying Steve's moveset made me think that it's possible they want a fighter with lots of gimmicks. Who is more perfect than KOS-MOS for that? She can transform her arms to weapons and conjure weapons out of thin air and has a variety of weapons.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

what do you guys think?
I think even if Lloyd's costume returns in a non Namco pack, we still could get a Namco being either our girl KOS-MOS or a Soul Calibur rep like Nightmare or Yoshimitsu. I still believe Lloyd is the most likely candidate to be the Namco rep if anyone and his costume will return with him.

I'm not telling y'all to give up on KOS-MOS, but think about it, Lloyd was the only character who was a Smash 4 Mii costume that didn't get representation in Ultimate's base game whatsoever. All the other costumes either became:

- Playable characters like Inkling, K. Rool, Isabelle or Chrom

- Became Assist Trophies like Zero, Knuckles, Gill

- Became a boss like Rathalos

- Became a Spirit

- Became a backstage cameo like Tails and Viridi

- Or became a cameo in Pac-Man's taunt like Heihachi and Gil

Lloyd or Tales in general is nowhere to be seen. Like I said don't give up on KOS-MOS. But evidence is pointing towards Lloyd more than anyone for a Namco rep.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think even if Lloyd's costume returns in a non Namco pack, we still could get a Namco being either our girl KOS-MOS or a Soul Calibur rep like Nightmare or Yoshimitsu. I still believe Lloyd is the most likely candidate to be the Namco rep if anyone and his costume will return with him.

I'm not telling y'all to give up on KOS-MOS, but think about it, Lloyd was the only character who was a Smash 4 Mii costume that didn't get representation in Ultimate's base game whatsoever. All the other costumes either became:

- Became a Spirit

Lloyd or Tales in general is nowhere to be seen. Like I said don't give up on KOS-MOS. But evidence is pointing towards Lloyd more than anyone for a Namco rep.
Viridi was a cameo in 4 as well (the 3DS version, the Reset Bomb stage)

but honestly, kinda thinking Lloyd will be costumed again regardless, and Geno as well

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Viridi was a cameo in 4 as well (the 3DS version, the Reset Bomb stage)

but honestly, kinda thinking Lloyd will be costumed again regardless, and Geno as well
I think Lloyd could very well be costumed again as well, but Geno I believe is getting in no matter what. Look at Polarthief Polarthief 's piled up Geno evidence list in my signature it's insane how much Geno has going for him.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace

- Became a Spirit

Well Lloyd can just come back in the next wave or after it. There's no more evidence for him than there is for KOS-MOS, IMO.

⛧Lord Metallium⛧

Smash Apprentice
Support DLC.PNG

At least there people who understand my view point, anyways my worst fear right now is the effect of steve, Fortnite.......

Dinah the reason that i am full 100% supporting Kos-Mos is the fact that if Namco,Nintendo and Monolift agree and she get in smash her beloved Xenosaga series will be Revive and if people love her and buy her alot that will reverse namco's decision and will work on a remaster or a Remake of Xenosaga that's why i wish Kos-Mos to be Included in smash because Smash is a tool to revive dead and forgotten games, characters like steve that are alive for years is a waster spot.... Again i'l say it Fortnite Jonesy is my biggest fear.

Last edited:

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Luxin (my favourite Xeno guy ever) has made a video on KOS-MOS in smash. I'm really happy he did as I've been expecting him to make one a long time now. It's a really interesting watch that really covers the same points I make but he does bring up some other cool ideas. But more than ever this video really covers why she has a legacy as a Xeno symbol and her potential as she already met tons of the smash characters through project x zone 1 and 2. We can only hope for the best.

The Lightning Python

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3196-3471-4788
Luxin (my favourite Xeno guy ever) has made a video on KOS-MOS in smash. I'm really happy he did as I've been expecting him to make one a long time now. It's a really interesting watch that really covers the same points I make but he does bring up some other cool ideas. But more than ever this video really covers why she has a legacy as a Xeno symbol and her potential as she already met tons of the smash characters through project x zone 1 and 2. We can only hope for the best.

Interesting. I'll check out the the video later.

Top Bottom