• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KOS-MOS Returning to Battle: DLC Season 2.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Alright, I'll be sure to play it as soon as I can! The only reason I haven't yet is that I wanted to get a physical copy, but most I find are expensive (to me). Though, from what I've seen (alongside it just being a Xeno game) I think it'd be worth it to just go and buy it regardless. There's always the option to get it digitally too, just in case. Thanks for the opinions! I've read that KOS-MOS is really hard to get in the game but I'll try to get her if I get it lol.

Also, KarneraMythos, you're the first person I've met that said it's their favorite game. That's great!
My fellow guy, I am in the small crowd who think the game is without a doubt one of the around 5 best games in the Switch's library and artistically one of Nintendo's best.

The animations of the fights as well. Some of those in the main game and Torna are definitely up there with the industry's best.
Oh and The Decision is the closest theme Yasunori Mitsuda has came to beating Scars of Time as his best piece. I'll stand by that til the end of time.

I am willing to debate over that last bit.

Last edited:

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
My fellow guy, I am in the small crowd who think the game is without a doubt one of the around 5 best games in the Switch's library and artistically one of Nintendo's best.

The animations of the fights as well. Some of those in the main game and Torna are definitely up there with the industry's best.
Oh and The Decision is the closest theme Yasunori Mitsuda has came to beating Scars of Time as his best piece. I'll stand by that til the end of time.

I am willing to debate over that last bit.
It's pretty hard to debate facts.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of all of Mitsuda's work, especially on Xenosaga and Xenoblade, but Scars of Time is something else, man.

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

It's pretty hard to debate facts.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of all of Mitsuda's work, especially on Xenosaga and Xenoblade, but Scars of Time is something else, man.
Dude it is a clearly stated fact that Scars of Time is his best work.

It's whether The Decision would be his 2nd best piece of music. That's the debate.
That or Yearnings of Wind from Chrono Trigger or Boss Theme 1 from Kid Icarus Uprising.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
Dude it is a clearly stated fact that Scars of Time is his best work.

It's whether The Decision would be his 2nd best piece of music. That's the debate.
That or Yearnings of Wind from Chrono Trigger or Boss Theme 1 from Kid Icarus Uprising.
Hmm, those are all fantastic songs, and I'm absolutely biased but I would have to go with The Decision. Purely for the hype that it represents.

In other news, Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition has Been rated in South Korea. Now, I know this doesn't guarantee an imminent release, but between this and that Dutch site listing this title for May, signs seem to point to a late spring/early summer release window. Whenever the next general Nintendo Direct is happening, we're sure to get some info on what new content this remaster is bringing to the table. Here's hoping for KOS-MOS making an appearance somewhere in the game,

the unholy Grail

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, those are all fantastic songs, and I'm absolutely biased but I would have to go with The Decision. Purely for the hype that it represents.

In other news, Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition has Been rated in South Korea. Now, I know this doesn't guarantee an imminent release, but between this and that Dutch site listing this title for May, signs seem to point to a late spring/early summer release window. Whenever the next general Nintendo Direct is happening, we're sure to get some info on what new content this remaster is bringing to the table. Here's hoping for KOS-MOS making an appearance somewhere in the game,

Now the ESRB has rated XenoblaDE. More details may be approaching soon if we are to heed Zippo's words of 2 directs in February. This is the last week before March so either direct announced later today/Wednesday or bust.

Dutch Raikuna

Now the ESRB has rated XenoblaDE. More details may be approaching soon if we are to heed Zippo's words of 2 directs in February. This is the last week before March so either direct announced later today/Wednesday or bust.
I have a small gut feeling that we are not going to see a Direct for another few weeks. I've a feeling Nintendo won't show something unless with certainty that it won't be delayed and such. Wonder if world events like the coronavirus could be affecting.
Still I just want to know about the Xenoblade 1 Remake, more than Smash now.

D

Deleted member

Watch Nintendo delay the general Direct on purpose just to make Zippo look wrong and not credible lol!
They are tracking down all the leakers, I guess. My hunch says that Vergeben is gonna have difficulty with Smash, so he'll probably go back to leakong other stuff.

Prince777

REIMU AND KOS-MOS FOR SMASH!
NNID
songokuthegreat
Switch FC
SW-3912-2310-8722
Hey y'all, long time no see!

I've been quite Inactive on the boards lately but I've been lurking and appreciate the conversation that's been happening as of late.

Though, this is probably not the best time to be too joyful considering the morbid news that I'm about to share...about 30 minutes ago, it was reported that Sakurai suffered a health scare as he was excersising at the gym. His passing out is associated with fatigue and dehydration.

https://gonintendo.com/stories/356257-sakurai-suffers-a-health-scare-passes-out-while-at-the-gym

He likely hasn't been getting enough rest as he should, coupled with a lack of water in take. I'm hoping that this doesn't lead to any major health issues or something more devastating.

He should be in good hands, but my prayers go out to him.

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
I've seen multiple people downplay (well, more like completely dismiss) the idea that a KOS-MOS fighter could be representative of XC2 in any capacity. This isn't about if she'd fall under the "Xenoblade Chronicles" banner in-game; this is just about if Nintendo would even consider the Xenoblade connection a factor in deciding whether or not to add her. I say it of course would, but others take the position that KOS-MOS's Blade form is a mere "Easter egg" who Nintendo wouldn't remember was in the game in the first place.

Well, a few days ago something caught my attention: the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 "Accolades Trailer" that was uploaded by Nintendo of America (Europe did their own) around two weeks after release.

Notice how there are only five seconds of actual gameplay here, and they're dedicated to not Pyra, nor Mythra, nor one of half-dozen other story-centric Blades, nor a Rare Blade more symbolic of an average playthrough like what the reviewers had just experienced...but yes, KOS-MOS. Because if she's still an Easter egg, she's an Easter egg who somebody thought would do a particularly good job of marketing a first-party Nintendo IP. (Which at the very least means it's probably a valid thought process and that I'm not delusional.)

the unholy Grail

Smash Apprentice
Well color me surprised! we just got a mini direct out of NOWHERE. we finally got new info on XenoblaDE and it looks SOOO GOOOOOD.

but that's not why i'm here...

The next smash character was just confirmed and I gotta say, I don't think anyone was expecting it. ARMS has been confirmed as the first series in the FP2 and regardless on how you feel about the reveal, It is way more significant than some might think. Allow me to explain...

First of all, we don't know WHO from ARMS is joining. All they said was that someone from the game will be DLC. And if it's who i'm thinking of, this could be huge for future DLC speculation. If it's springman, the poster child of ARMS, then that changes the playing field for one reason specifically.

He would be the first DLC fighter with a pre-existing assist trophy in the game. This single-handedly brings Waluigi, Isaac, and Shadow back into the running.

But what if it's not him? what about ribbon girl? the OTHER poster child of ARMS. she would also be a significant inclusion for a similar reason.

she would be the first DLC character with a pre-existing mii costume in the game, which paves the way for potential Rex DLC later on.

But wait there's more! at one point in time (During the Byleth presentation IIRC.) Sakurai stated that he wants to treat the fighter pass 2 as a "bonus". To be specific, he mentioned characters who were originally not considered/possible for the base game. And knowing that this pass will be the last piece of smash content for the foreseeable future, that may include other heavily requested characters (potential assist fighters.) That includes ARMS (one of the first switch games announced.) and to me, that screams Rex (who was allegedly too late for the BASE roster.) and the fact that ARMS is getting a character at this point in time, regardless of who it turns out to be, tells me that they know of the requests, and they're listening.

TL;DR the ARMS announcement means a lot to those characters now, since the walls have officially been shattered for Rex and potentially Assist Trophies.

Last edited:

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
Well color me surprised! we just got a mini direct out of NOWHERE. we finally got new info on XenoblaDE and it looks SOOO GOOOOOD.

but that's not why i'm here...

The next smash character was just confirmed and i gotta say, I don't think anyone was expecting it. ARMS has been confirmed as the first series in the FP2 and regardless on how you feel about the reveal, It is way more significant than some might think. Allow me to explain...

First of all, we don't know WHO from ARMS is joining. All they said was that someone from the game will be DLC. And if it's who i'm thinking of, this could be huge for future DLC speculation. If it's springman, the poster child of ARMS, then that changes the playing field for one reason specifically.

He would be the first DLC fighter with a pre-existing assist trophy in the game. This single-handedly brings Waluigi back into the running.

But what if it's not him? what about ribbon girl? the OTHER poster child of ARMS. she would also be a significant inclusion for a similar reason.

she would be the first DLC character a pre-existing mii costume in the game, which paves the way for potential Rex DLC later on.

But wait there's more! at one point in time (I forgot when and where.) Sakurai stated that he wants to treat the fighter pass 2 as a "bonus" And knowing that this pass will be the last piece of smash content for the foreseeable future, that may include other heavily requested fighters (Including Waluigi.) And i'm pretty sure he implied that there might be a possibility that character's who were too early/late for the base roster have a second chance. That includes ARMS (one of the first switch games announced.) and to me, that screams Rex (who was allegedly too late for the BASE roster.) and the fact that ARMS is getting a character at this point in time, regardless of who it turns out to be, tells me that they know of the requests, and they're listening.

TL;DR the ARMS announcement means a lot to those characters now, since the walls have officially been shattered for Rex and potentially Waluigi.
I'm sort of thinking it could be a Bowser Jr./Hero type character, with a lot of characters in one via alts, which would still speak wonders for characters like Rex. Also yeah, XCDE looks amazing. Really looking forward to trying out the new content in it.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Well I interpret this reveal in two ways:

It is bad for Kosmos, in the sense that Xenoblade characters are back on the menu. Technically Saga and Blade are different series, but since they are both spiritually similar series created by the same developers, I'd argue they are competition for each other.

It is good in the sense that we are getting a character pushed from within Nintendo with seemingly no financial incentive. ARMS is an old game by now and there's no upcoming ARMS content on the horizon. Like some other user said here some weeks ago Monolith has become quite important for Nintendo, and they might be able to ask for a character. I think Takahashi would ask for Kosmos first and foremost, but ultimately Nintendo might not think her worth the trouble.

Last edited:

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Hey guys it's been awhile and I hope all of you have been staying safe at home! Now, let's get to today's Xenoblade DE trailer! Xenoblade DE revealed that there is an Epilogue called Future connected that explores more of Melia and Shulk against a mysterious new threat. In the trailer you can clearly see a portal as well which probably leads to Alrest. I think this is going to link Xenoblade and Xenoblade 2 together. Notice how the Nopons also have Rex and Pyra colours in the official art? I think it's really neat. More spoilers but Alvis
now has a core crystal instead of the key he has in Xenoblade 1 around his neck. This means that he is Ontos 100% IMO
Anyway, some more observations from the trailer: Melia looks better than ever and her new design is fantastic! My girl is back with a new weapon! I always loved Fiora and Melia equally and I'm so happy Melia can get something she really deserves.

Her new weapon looks like it has some sort of Monado power. I think it would be cool for smash if we do get a character from Xenoblade 1 as DLC.

Anyhow, since it looks like ARMS getting in is due to promotion, I feel like a Xenoblade character promotion is extremely likely and also a Pokemon. The spirit rule might have been completely broken but we will not know for sure until the Arms character is released and his/her spirit board. If it means Spring Man or any other base game spirit is promoted then yes spirits are able to be promoted but I really wouldn't expect many to happen. At best maybe 1 will happen or 2. This pass is not going to be 1st party all the way through and I still expect Namco to get a character. This brings me to KOS-MOS.

KOS-MOS still has the same chances as before. This support thread was always for her as a Namco inclusion and with only 5 characters left I feel a Xeno character would not overshadow her if it happened. They are technically the same franchise but two different universes. We still dont really know if KOS-MOS will happen and I suspect that she won't but I found it funny that the KOS-MOS Re figurine releases in May which is Xenoblade's release month. Maybe there is a chance it can come out the same day? I dont know but imo it has to be some sort of promotion for this game. I feel like KOS-MOS will get a outfit for Fiora at least. It seems they went ahead and improved customization so I will be extremely shocked if we don't get one. We already know that Fiora's TYPE V Speed is inspired off of KOS-MOS version 3 but it would be nice to see something more. I also suspect if Geno gets promoted from spirit/mii then the Nintendo takedowns that happened with Geno must truly mean something and that would be the same with KOS-MOS but I wont get carried away with that yet. She's still my most wanted but as I have been telling our tiny discord, ANY XENO REP will do for me right now. I do have to admit that I want Melia a lot now and more because she's got a new protagonist role.

Well I interpret this reveal in two ways:

It is bad for Kosmos, in the sense that Xenoblade characters are back on the menu. Technically Saga and Blade are different series, but since they are both spiritually similar series created by the same developers, I'd argue they are competition for each other.

It is good in the sense that we are getting a character pushed from within Nintendo with seemingly no financial incentive. ARMS is an old game by now and there's no upcoming ARMS content on the horizon. Like some other user said here some weeks ago Monolith has become quite important for Nintendo, and they might be able to ask for a character. I think Takahashi would ask for Kosmos first and foremost, but ultimately Nintendo might not think her worth the trouble.
Good points but I disagree about the competition. If we get a character promotion for Xenoblade 1 then Namco is still its own thing. Not saying we will for sure get a Xenoblade 1 character but I am confident in a Xeno rep. I mean, why even make Future connected a thing if they dint want one? It seems they want to establish more canon and who knows maybe they will even explore more Xeno themes in it.

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
Most of what made KOS-MOS seem likely to me was her existence as a technicality. A way to directly represent Namco (who at this point still only has one fighter on the entirety of the roster), and indirectly represent the massively under-represented Xenoblade/Monolith while still conforming to an unchanging third-party trend. Well, now that she's no longer the closest thing Smash has to a second Xenoblade rep, that dual-purpose value has splintered, and all she really has going for her is her status of a Namco character. ...And so with Harada having since gone out of his way to tell the world Xenosaga has no future, nothing lines up.

I'll be pretty shocked if Rex is added but then KOS-MOS Re: doesn't get so much as a Spirit, assuming other non-story Blades do. If they don't take the opportunity to celebrate KOS-MOS's shared Namco/Nintendo legacy even there, it'll be clear she never stood a chance.

Last edited:

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
Most of what made KOS-MOS seem likely to me was her existence as a technicality. A way to directly represent Namco (who at this point still only has one fighter on the entirety of the roster), and indirectly represent the massively under-represented Xenoblade/Monolith while still conforming to an unchanging third-party trend. Well, now that she's no longer the closest thing Smash has to a second Xenoblade rep, that dual-purpose value has splintered, and all she really has going for her is her status of a Namco character. ...And so with Harada having since gone out of his way to tell the world Xenosaga has no future, nothing lines up.

I'll be pretty shocked if Rex is added but then KOS-MOS Re: doesn't get so much as a Spirit, assuming other non-story Blades do. If they don't take the opportunity to celebrate KOS-MOS's shared Namco/Nintendo legacy even there, it'll be clear she never stood a chance.
Yeah, I agree what could've given her more chances was her relation to Monolith, and for a bit, I thought maybe it could've been just that that gave her the chance. But if they do want to thank Monolith, they could probably go for other characters now, which are newer. There's also Namco using her in crossovers, but that hasn't happened much these past years, as well. I guess all we can truly do is wait and see.

MattX20

Smash Hero
No matter what happens, whether KOS-MOS ends up playable or as a Mii Costume, we still have hope for something

⛧Lord Metallium⛧

Smash Apprentice
i doubt something will happen, and anything new? all we are doing is waiting for the ARMS trailer to see who is next :(, i still wish that sakurai change his mind about DLC season 2 being the last, there still many characters out there that people want even mine's.

But i have not lost faith in Kos-Mos yes but yes even if she ends up being a spirit is worth.

Renmazuo

Smash Cadet
Haven't posted in a while, just dropping by to remind everyone that the Kosmos figure from Good Smile should be finally releasing this month, in case you like collecting this stuff. Don't know why this one took so much longer than Pyra and Mythra...

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Haven't posted in a while, just dropping by to remind everyone that the Kosmos figure from Good Smile should be finally releasing this month, in case you like collecting this stuff. Don't know why this one took so much longer than Pyra and Mythra...
Nice! Though let's be honest here KOS-MOS RE's design is arguably more of a complex one than Mythra and Pyra's designs. Her Ether Cannons might also be more so than their Aegis Swords so that's probably why. More complex the longer it takes to make sure everything is detailed nicely.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I haven't seen anyone post here in awhile before today and I got to say, I still have some hope in KOS-MOS being the potential Namco rep. Stay strong Xenosaga fans. ;)

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I have mine pre-ordered already, but I won't be receiving it until after this whole virus conundrum dissipates. Shipments are pretty much closed off on my end until further notice, so it'll be a fairly long and uncertain amount of time until I get the figure.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Happy Xenoblade DE release date everyone! Hopefully you are all enjoying the game! Sorry for no updates on the thread. I've been engrossed in FF VII remake for the last 2 months or so ..... then I started playing Persona 5 Royal and now Xenoblade DE so yup gotta do my best to make time for both games.

That being said.... nothing on KOS-MOS for smash but hey at least Melia is getting more popular.... as it was just announced that she is getting a scale figure! So we have some hope for a Xeno rep.... maybe? Her future connected self technically doesn't count as a spirit after all :p

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
Happy Xenoblade DE release date everyone! Hopefully you are all enjoying the game! Sorry for no updates on the thread. I've been engrossed in FF VII remake for the last 2 months or so ..... then I started playing Persona 5 Royal and now Xenoblade DE so yup gotta do my best to make time for both games.

That being said.... nothing on KOS-MOS for smash but hey at least Melia is getting more popular.... as it was just announced that she is getting a scale figure! So we have some hope for a Xeno rep.... maybe? Her future connected self technically doesn't count as a spirit after all :p

That's pretty nice! You know, if not KOS-MOS, I think I'd be pretty happy with Melia making it. And depending on who the ARMS character is, it might not mean much that she's already a spirit. Though of course, we still gotta wait and see for that one.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Thought it was interesting to see Choco (Xenosaga Episode 3 character designer and KOS-MOS designer) made a new artwork for Xenoblade's 10th anniversary.

Seems like we have Shulk to represent XB1, then Elma in the middle for X, then Rex for XB2.... then the other main characters in the back and then the Zohar/Conduit shining exactly like it does in Xenosaga which I found super interesting!

apologies for being inactive. There is a Mini Rumble episode featuring KOS-MOS battling Megaman X. My opinion is that it's not the best one, but I like it for what it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBdJg8VDUDU
Cool video! and I'm glad to see KOS-MOS appreciation! Seems like there's really no smash news lately whatsoever though so feel free to be inactive for the time being. I'm sure this will pick up again when the Arms character is revealed.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
For anyone interested, the results of this poll just came out:

KOS-MOS made 42nd, getting a lot more votes than last year! It was pretty nice to see that she made the top 50.
I was informed about this earlier. It's great news but since the characters were already chosen.. all we can do is really pray she gets in. Top 50 is amazing and i'm amazed that so many people appreciate her this time. It seems maybe those fake leaks really boosted her popularity which is real nice.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
With Min Min getting in because Yabuki asked for her my idea that Takahashi could ask for Kosmos suddenly doesn't seem as unrealistic.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Takahashi hasn't been shy about the fact that KOS-MOS is Monolith's OG mascot, and we know that relevance isn't exactly a factor with Smash fighters (thanks to Banjo/Kazooie). So, between the news about Yabuki and Heihachi's Mii Costume returning I'd say that KOS-MOS' chances have improved dramatically today.

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500
If all the Sm4sh Mii costumes end up returning, the only Namco fighters I can see happening at this point would be between Yuri, Nightmare, and KOS-MOS, assuming Namco gets anything...

Here's hoping that, like Yabuki, Takahashi also had some input on the DLC. And if so, hope he asked for KOS-MOS (though I'd be fine with Rex & Pyra or Elma too).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If all the Sm4sh Mii costumes end up returning, the only Namco fighters I can see happening at this point would be between Yuri, Nightmare, and KOS-MOS, assuming Namco gets anything...

Here's hoping that, like Yabuki, Takahashi also had some input on the DLC. And if so, hope he asked for KOS-MOS (though I'd be fine with Rex & Pyra or Elma too).
I’d count KOS-MOS as a Namco rep and separate from Xenoblade personally

this is how we get both KOS-MOS AND Elma

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Heihachi is a mii costume again. If Lloyd is a mii costume again then we might finally be in the clear. But now it's pretty complicated because spirits might be getting characters. I dont know... but at least it means Melia or even Fiora can happen now. Melia could use her FC costume while normal Melia is the spirit etc. Also, with Min Min being a female rep there's hope for more female fighters. Oh and I can't forget about Elma. Maybe? I dont know... but if spirits are back then perhaps she has a chance. Overall, it's not looking too grim for KOS-MOS as I imagined. Heihachi is a mii costume sooooo yeah the spirits thing might not hurt her in the slightest.

But on the subject of Takahashi asking for a character? It would 100% be KOS-MOS. KOS-MOS is like a daughter to him and his wife Soraya Saga. Nothing would make them happier. https://www.siliconera.com/soraya-saga-on-xenogears-and-xenosaga/ this interview was in 2010 and luckily I still remember it.

Top Bottom