• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KOS-MOS Returning to Battle: DLC Season 2.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
I see you mentioned Chrono Cross. CULTURE~
but yeah those kinda games are the kind of rpgs I loved in middle and high school and I guess there’s a sort of generational difference when it comes to games ppl will like
Good to see a fan of Chrono Cross. Scars of Time is without a doubt Yasunori Mitsuda's magnum opus of music.
It had a great battle system and art direction. Shame it never got properly released in Europe.

NOSTARSICK

Smash Apprentice
Good to see a fan of Chrono Cross. Scars of Time is without a doubt Yasunori Mitsuda's magnum opus of music.
It had a great battle system and art direction. Shame it never got properly released in Europe.
That entire soundtrack is a masterpiece, one of my favorites to this day!

But Xenosaga really needs some sort of comeback, even if it was added as a digital ps2 game like they did for others

Renmazuo

Smash Cadet
but she is Monolith's flagship character. Her legacy alone, in my opinion, earns her this spot on the roster, as her games laid the foundation for all of the incredible work Monolith would go on to do in the following years.
Good luck convincing the average Nintendo fan to acknowledge anything made by them before being bought by Nintendo.

Even when the man himself straight up tells us Xenoblade wouldn't exist without Xenosaga.

But the only reason the Xenoblade series exists today is because of those three games, I think. The experience we acquired from making Xenosaga was an immense asset for us.
"Yeah sure, but does the Nintendo logo appear when booting up the Xenosaga games? Didn't think so huh?"

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
I see you mentioned Chrono Cross. CULTURE~
but yeah those kinda games are the kind of rpgs I loved in middle and high school and I guess there’s a sort of generational difference when it comes to games ppl will like
Chrono Cross was actually my first PS1 game back in the day! By far the most criminally overlooked RPG on that console, I listen to the soundtrack at work to this very day. My hope for a third Chrono game died a long time ago, but man what I wouldn't give for some sort of a port or remaster of Cross. Glad to know I'm not the only one nostalgic for that game.

In regard to KOS-MOS not having a presence on Nintendo hardware though, I think Cloud and Joker kinda proved that a historical connection to Nintendo isn't really a factor for these fighters. Sure I guess you could say Cloud's series has a history with them thanks to the first six titles, but his actual game played a huge part in putting Sony on the map. If that kind of character can get in, I really doubt someone like KOS-MOS is out of consideration. And Joker's even worse in this regard, the SMT/Persona titles being far more associated with the PlayStation brand. The closest he's got is P5 Scramble... Which actually looks pretty fun... But seriously just give us P5 proper on the Switch already.

scaPEGoat ~

Smash Cadet
But is Nintendo aware of the matter? If KOS-MOS appears on Smash Ultimate, Monolith Soft wants it, Sakurai and Nintendo will not be responsible for that.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
But is Nintendo aware of the matter? If KOS-MOS appears on Smash Ultimate, Monolith Soft wants it, Sakurai and Nintendo will not be responsible for that.
True. But I'm sure Namco would be more than willing to allow Sakurai and Nintendo to put her into Smash if that's what Sakurai wishes.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
True. But I'm sure Namco would be more than willing to allow Sakurai and Nintendo to put her into Smash if that's what Sakurai wishes.
*What Nintendo Wishes. Nintendo picks the characters for the DLC, only input Sakurai has is if he can make an moveset for the character. Which, we know from the Byleth interview that for those games in development they need final designs for the characters and what they'll use in their moveset also need final, fully modeled... models. Though for existing characters I'd imagine just enough source material. An example being like... there ain't enough for say a Creeper from Minecraft as it only walks, jumps, and explodes.

KOS-MOS should have no problem passing the Sakurai test then, just a matter of fact of Nintendo saying "We want to use her, can you do it?".

scaPEGoat ~

Smash Cadet
What most are having trouble understanding is that Shulk is the best at representing Xenoblade in general content.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
We're officially in the endgame now guys. If KOS-MOS doesn't happen then I fear she will never happen. No plans for another smash anytime soon and these last 6 characters as i'm sure you already all know... are the last. I'm praying Xeno gets some sort of representation in this pass. KOS-MOS, Elma, Fiora, Rex/Pyra would actually make me extremely happy but if it doesn't happen then I'm gonna be so disappointed. And I also fear that with only 6 more characters.... they would have no plans for upgrading spirits. While that does give KOS-MOS chances.... it would mean any other Xeno character is out would it not? So yeah it sucks. I'm used to being letdown though as I'm still really disappointed about what happened with Resident Evil in smash.... spirits so yeah.

So yeah.... Xeno representation please... preferably female!

Last edited:

akarise

Smash Rookie
NNID
akarise
Switch FC
SW-5355-8287-4116
We're officially in the endgame now guys. If KOS-MOS doesn't happen then I fear she will never happen. No plans for another smash anytime soon and these last 6 characters as i'm sure you already all know... are the last.
How can we be sure these are the last DLC characters though? Weren't there supposedly 15 empty slots for potential DLC? I'm sure these fighters passes are making Nintendo tons of money so a 3rd fighters pass with 4 characters wouldn't be too surprising.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I will settle for Xeno anything in Fighters Pass 2, I just want someone from there in. I still think Elma and KOS-MOS have decent chances and I'm continuing to believe in Rex/Pyra despite the costume.

Sadly I think Smash fans in general are going to ramp up the in-fighting for these last DLC picks. People are going to desperately want their most-wanted in as it seems like this is the last Smash content for a while, which may make them resent those who do get in. I saw it before with the 'literal who' attitude for Hero, Terry and Byleth due to them 'stealing' a FP1 spot from the character they wanted. Unfortunately I think we're in for some Hoes Mad no matter who gets in.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
despite KOS-MOS hefty drop in her position to be in smash, i don't see a pitched remaster failling market research being some indication that another Xenosaga release would be a flop, especially when the first Xenosaga game did manage to successfully sell over a million copies.

maybe normal re-releases will do (like DMC is doing on the Switch atm), just not a full-fledged remaster like maybe OoT3D or FF7Re or Xenoblade DE.
This guy makes a valid point
I will settle for Xeno anything in Fighters Pass 2, I just want someone from there in. I still think Elma and KOS-MOS have decent chances and I'm continuing to believe in Rex/Pyra despite the costume.

Sadly I think Smash fans in general are going to ramp up the in-fighting for these last DLC picks. People are going to desperately want their most-wanted in as it seems like this is the last Smash content for a while, which may make them resent those who do get in. I saw it before with the 'literal who' attitude for Hero, Terry and Byleth due to them 'stealing' a FP1 spot from the character they wanted. Unfortunately I think we're in for some Hoes Mad no matter who gets in.
How about Fiora? Despite the fact she’s in Shulk’s Final Smash but we all know that didn’t stop Chrom. Mario is also in one of Piranha Plant’s victory screens

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion

I gave up all hope for seeing characters I really want. I stopped holding my breath a long time ago, and I speak for other potential Fighters I want along with KOS-MOS. I'm honestly more excited for mods than I am for new characters, but you can bet any new addition is a welcome one from me because that just means more options to mess with cosmetically.

How about Fiora? Despite the fact she’s in Shulk’s Final Smash but we all know that didn’t stop Chrom. Mario is also in one of Piranha Plant’s victory screens
You're half-right. Chrom's situation is still eerily similar to an Assist Trophy in that he debuted as a cameo, but was never promoted in the same game. Likewise, he returns in Robin's Final Smash for the current sequel, but is Promoted to Playable anyway. It's a strange diversion from the Assist Trophy position, that is for certain. Mario has been around since Day 1 as well, so his cameo gag isn't all that unusual.

Fiora falls under the same boat as Mii Fighter costumes in my honest opinion, in that we have costumes of Fighters that are already in the game so there is no issue making full-fledged fighters out of new ones, but the odds of it happening are very low to not-at-all. Her odds do feel a bit better than Rex/Pyra though, what with Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition.

Last edited:

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
Fiora falls under the same boat as Mii Fighter costumes in my honest opinion, in that we have costumes of Fighters that are already in the game so there is no issue making full-fledged fighters out of new ones, but the odds of it happening are very low to not-at-all. Her odds do feel a bit better than Rex/Pyra though, what with Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition.
I'm actually slightly more confident about Rex/Pyra's chances now, after Sakurai's recent comments that the 6 fighters on Pass 2 are "extra." Since we've officially left the time frame of development consideration for the base game, the time seems right to add a certain spiky-haired sword boye Sakurai wanted in all along. But, Nintendo picked these six as well, so maybe Fiora would better promote Xenoblade DE? We still know nothing more about this remaster than we did when it was revealed, so what it could have in new content (including appearances from other Xeno characters) is still up in the air. Like I've said before, KOS-MOS has the legacy. But will it be enough? I hope so, but like you guys have said, I'd take anyone from Monolith at this point.

the unholy Grail

Smash Apprentice
How can we be sure these are the last DLC characters though? Weren't there supposedly 15 empty slots for potential DLC? I'm sure these fighters passes are making Nintendo tons of money so a 3rd fighters pass with 4 characters wouldn't be too surprising.
The newest famitsu column with Sakurai leaked earlier today. In it, he explained that the fighters pass volume 2 is indeed the last DLC planned for ultimate, and potentially the last piece of smash content in general. Which obviously means no new smash anytime soon and potentially no more balance patches for ultimate. (At least for now.)

Now this is just a tiny conspiracy theory of mine, but there is a chance Sakurai is lying. As we all know by now, there were 15 datamined character slots for World of Light (Plant is not one of them, further supporting evidence that he was planned for the base game.) we have 5 from the first pass, and now 6 from this one. This still leaves room for 4 more characters for a potential FP3. We also need to consider the fact that there was originally no more DLC planned after the first pass, but Nintendo changed their mind later. So maybe the same thing could happen here??? im personally not buying into that myself because Nintendo would be foolish to end off one season of DLC just like that, and for Smash no less. But we all know that Sakurai is not a fan of season passes so maybe for the sake of not abusing smash for season DLC, they save us less money, and Sakurai's integrity. For all we know those 4 slots may very well be deleted by the time Season 2 finishes.

As for my thoughts on this, I am definitely more tense after hearing this. At this point in time I am holding out for more xeno representation be it KOS-MOS Elma, Rex and Pyra/ & maybe Mythra, or Fiora. Especially with XenoblaDE coming later this year. The one thing i'm scared of is the amount of salt people will develop when they find out their request isn't a part of FP2, and the countless flame wars people will have when defending/bashing a characters inclusion/exclusion. But yeah Xeno needs more reps. If we don't get anything xeno related in this I will be pretty mad not gonna lie. I started off as a Rex supporter, and I feel especially cheated he was cut for being "too new" even though XC2 came out in December 2017 and 3H came out in July 2019 and we ended up getting even more FE...

Last edited:

Bakabridget

Smash Cadet
NNID
Bakabridget
I really want kos-mos but it doesn't look like her odds are that good unfortunately. It's looking like there's a big chance the dlc will wrap up without me getting a single character I want. I haven't actually played much ultimate. Got it at launch and I still havent even unlocked all the characters. It just doesn't have the right character for me.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I really want kos-mos but it doesn't look like her odds are that good unfortunately. It's looking like there's a big chance the dlc will wrap up without me getting a single character I want. I haven't actually played much ultimate. Got it at launch and I still havent even unlocked all the characters. It just doesn't have the right character for me.
Maybe you should try someone you don't know much about? I didn't know a ton about Terry and have no history with KOF but I main and love him now

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
There's always Mii Gunner... *Megalovania plays*

But I totally get what you're saying, since I was kinda feeling a similar malaise regarding the base roster. Nothing will ever compare to Shulk's Smash 4 reveal for me, not just because of what his game means to me but in what a terrible place I was in emotionally at the time. Like we're talking my dream character, ride-or-die situation. Seeing Shulk go from a niche pick from my obscure, Wii JRPG to among the who's who of gaming was surreal, and I don't think I'll ever experience something like that again with Smash Bros. Joker and Banjo/Kazooie came close, though... Seeing as they hailed from a recent favorite and childhood favorite, respectively. Getting KOS-MOS, or any other Xeno character, would recapture a bit of that excitement for me, and to be honest, that's pretty much what keeps me hopeful.

Renmazuo

Smash Cadet
I'd like to believe that Monolith carries quite a bit more clout within Nintendo now than it did at the time of Smash 4's development, especially after:

-Turning Xenoblade into a 2 million seller in the span of just three games, despite the big hurdles of NoA initially refusing to localize Xenoblade and Xenoblade X releasing on a dead console.
-Breath of the Wild (whose development team was about 50% Monolith according to Miyamoto and Aonuma) went on to sell over 18 million copies, becoming the best selling Zelda game BY FAR, to the point Nintendo quickly greenlit a direct sequel and entrusting it once again to Monolith.

While still much better than the garbage mismanagement and treatment they received from Namco, it still ticks me off seeing the general air from both Nintendo and fans that Monolith need to "prove" themselves somehow when by all accounts they have already performed much better than most Nintendo subsidiaries in a shorter timespan. That interview where Takahashi said they don't have the funding for a Xenoblade X port was bad enough, but then watching Nintendo port that weird pop idol Fire Emblem game that almost nobody bought just left a bad taste in my mouth.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that they probably deserve a bit more than a handful of spirits in Ultimate and for Nintendo to at least consider one of their characters if they asked for one. I'd also be genuinely weirded out if Ultimate ends up having 0 Xenosaga content whatsoever when you consider there's Baten Kaitos content in the game, another Monolith jrpg in a very similar position to Xenosaga (also owned by Namco) but much less popular.

Now that I think about it, both bonus mii costumes for the fighters packs are from games associated with Monolith. Like, are you ****ing kidding me.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'd like to believe that Monolith carries quite a bit more clout within Nintendo now than it did at the time of Smash 4's development, especially after:

-Turning Xenoblade into a 2 million seller in the span of just three games, despite the big hurdles of NoA initially refusing to localize Xenoblade and Xenoblade X releasing on a dead console.
-Breath of the Wild (whose development team was about 50% Monolith according to Miyamoto and Aonuma) went on to sell over 18 million copies, becoming the best selling Zelda game BY FAR, to the point Nintendo quickly greenlit a direct sequel and entrusting it once again to Monolith.

While still much better than the garbage mismanagement and treatment they received from Namco, it still ticks me off seeing the general air from both Nintendo and fans that Monolith need to "prove" themselves somehow when by all accounts they have already performed much better than most Nintendo subsidiaries in a shorter timespan. That interview where Takahashi said they don't have the funding for a Xenoblade X port was bad enough, but then watching Nintendo port that weird pop idol Fire Emblem game that almost nobody bought just left a bad taste in my mouth.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that they probably deserve a bit more than a handful of spirits in Ultimate and for Nintendo to at least consider one of their characters if they asked for one. I'd also be genuinely weirded out if Ultimate ends up having 0 Xenosaga content whatsoever when you consider there's Baten Kaitos content in the game, another Monolith jrpg in a very similar position to Xenosaga (also owned by Namco) but much less popular.

Now that I think about it, both bonus mii costumes for the fighters packs are from games associated with Monolith. Like, are you ****ing kidding me.
I think X won’t get a port but a full on remaster with new content like how they’re doing with the first Xenoblade game

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
I think X won’t get a port but a full on remaster with new content like how they’re doing with the first Xenoblade game
I like where your head's at, but I'm dreading the inevitable 200 hours I'm going to spend on X again. As much as I'd like to see it, an X port would officially make my Wii U irrelevant, making the release somewhat bittersweet for me.

Also KOS-MOS for Smash.

scaPEGoat ~

Smash Cadet
Shulk is the best representative of Xenoblade at the moment. That's why they are doing this remake.

⛧Lord Metallium⛧

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Shulk is the best representative of Xenoblade at the moment. That's why they are doing this remake.
it never hurts to want a little more since X, 2 and Torna have different casts (mostly in the latter two's case) and X would represent a different setting in the Xenoblade universe.

plus, Xenosaga ≠ Xenoblade, so KOS-MOS would NOT be a Xenoblade rep. heck, her Xenoblade 2 artwork literally has the Bandai Namco copyright on it signifying she's a guest

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
Well, even if KOS-MOS isn't very likely, I hope there's a general Xeno character at least. I'd be happy with any. Plus, if it's Rex+Pyra/Mythra or something like that, it'd give me an excuse to play XB2, which is basically the only XB I haven't played yet.

MattX20

Smash Hero
If we get Lloyd or KOS-MOS as the Bandai Namco rep, I'd be totally okay with it quite frankly.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
Well, even if KOS-MOS isn't very likely, I hope there's a general Xeno character at least. I'd be happy with any. Plus, if it's Rex+Pyra/Mythra or something like that, it'd give me an excuse to play XB2, which is basically the only XB I haven't played yet.
I'm gonna shill for Monolith here, but you should absolutely play it regardless. One of the best RPGs on the Switch, no doubt. It may even go on sale around the time Definitive Edition launches.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Based on your general selection of character-likes, I think you will end up enjoying the game. I know I do! In fact, XB2 is currently my favorite video game.

scaPEGoat ~

Smash Cadet
it never hurts to want a little more since X, 2 and Torna have different casts (mostly in the latter two's case) and X would represent a different setting in the Xenoblade universe.

plus, Xenosaga ≠ Xenoblade, so KOS-MOS would NOT be a Xenoblade rep. heck, her Xenoblade 2 artwork literally has the Bandai Namco copyright on it signifying she's a guest
Exactly, Monolith Soft does not have the same freedom as Intelligent Systems at Nintendo. If they receive any new content, it will look something like Sonic and Joker.

I.D.

Smash Lord

Just remind people that Nintendo chose to end both of their last two directs with the announcement of a Monolith project.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna shill for Monolith here, but you should absolutely play it regardless. One of the best RPGs on the Switch, no doubt. It may even go on sale around the time Definitive Edition launches.
Based on your general selection of character-likes, I think you will end up enjoying the game. I know I do! In fact, XB2 is currently my favorite video game.
Alright, I'll be sure to play it as soon as I can! The only reason I haven't yet is that I wanted to get a physical copy, but most I find are expensive (to me). Though, from what I've seen (alongside it just being a Xeno game) I think it'd be worth it to just go and buy it regardless. There's always the option to get it digitally too, just in case. Thanks for the opinions! I've read that KOS-MOS is really hard to get in the game but I'll try to get her if I get it lol.

Also, KarneraMythos, you're the first person I've met that said it's their favorite game. That's great!

akarise

Smash Rookie
NNID
akarise
Switch FC
SW-5355-8287-4116
The newest famitsu column with Sakurai leaked earlier today. In it, he explained that the fighters pass volume 2 is indeed the last DLC planned for ultimate, and potentially the last piece of smash content in general. Which obviously means no new smash anytime soon and potentially no more balance patches for ultimate. (At least for now.)
Ohh I totally missed that. Well that kinda sucks... Here's hoping Nintendo changes its mind later and adds a 3rd pass :/

Renmazuo

Smash Cadet
I've read that KOS-MOS is really hard to get in the game but I'll try to get her if I get it lol.
Don't stress too much over getting her. It's better to think of her as an ultra powerful endgame weapon, since she's one of the most powerful blades in the game, and therefore you should realistically only actively try to get her in the late stages of the game.

I recommend doing what I did, don't worry about her until you can prepare a dedicated, optimal setup for farming core crystals first, and once you have that down you can go for her. I got her after around 3 hours of dedicated farming.

Oh and don't kill the little ardun in Torigoth. It will become the best spot for farming legendary core crystals later on.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Alright, I'll be sure to play it as soon as I can! The only reason I haven't yet is that I wanted to get a physical copy, but most I find are expensive (to me). Though, from what I've seen (alongside it just being a Xeno game) I think it'd be worth it to just go and buy it regardless. There's always the option to get it digitally too, just in case. Thanks for the opinions! I've read that KOS-MOS is really hard to get in the game but I'll try to get her if I get it lol.

Also, KarneraMythos, you're the first person I've met that said it's their favorite game. That's great!
Oh trust me, you're gonna find a loooot of people who openly dislike the hell out of XB2. I just tune them out. What I enjoy is none of their business and vice versa. You might not even like it either, and that's OK. If I had to compare it to an anime though, it definitely feels like a nu-age Outlaw Star, which is probably why I gravitate toward the characters so much.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Oh trust me, you're gonna find a loooot of people who openly dislike the hell out of XB2. I just tune them out. What I enjoy is none of their business and vice versa. You might not even like it either, and that's OK. If I had to compare it to an anime though, it definitely feels like a nu-age Outlaw Star, which is probably why I gravitate toward the characters so much.
Xenoblade 2 making people extremely butthurt is not a bug, it's a feature. Over 2 years later and one still gets great entertainment out of it from the sheer unhinged seething it causes. God bless Monolith.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
>Last piece of smash content in general

Every smash game prior has been the "last piece of smash content", don't believe him when he says that. They're going to be making more new smash games, with or without Sakurai in all honesty. Smash itself is a singular reason why some people buy Nintendo consoles, no way they're gonna just drop that buisness-wise.

Also, every news outlet seems to be forgetting a few words Sakurai actually said in the interview being the "right now" part.

Meaning as of right now, there is no plans for the next game since the current game is still being worked on and the switch life-span isn't up as much as tons of people would like to tell you otherwise. Nintendo is planning for this baby to last to 2027, and Smash is a by-system release and it wouldn't make sense to release two Smash games on one system. This also means /as of right now/ there is no plans for future fighters or another fighter because because 1. It hasn't been granted yet, Fighter Pass #1 was supposed to be the last content added to Ultimate as we can gather from interviews but Sakurai suddenly got asked/was given permission for another six fighters and 2. Since we know permission on Fighter Pass #2 was still fairly recent by the time of its announcement, and arguably still even now and we still have 0 news and probably won't till maybe next month or even till April (I honestly don't think we're gonna get a second nintendo direct this month when we're almost out of the month in ten days as of this post), they practically /just/ started working on brand new content, of course they're not gonna sketch up any more plans until they're done/close to being done with the current pass.

So no, this isn't anyone's "last chance", there'll be future games and potentially still future content post-fighter pass 2. We'll probably know for sure around Fighter #10 or #11 on that. I will say though, if there would be another Smash game during the Switch's life-span... probably some gacha mobile game. Personally? I'd like it to play like FGO if it comes to that, otherwise we're stuck with Ultimate and seeming as Ultimate may have a Brawl-length lifespan or even more, that means time for the modding community to develop and evolve. Potentially to the level of Brawl this time around unlike Smash 4. By that time modding a switch would've probably become much easier and much more safer as well.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Xenoblade 2 making people extremely butthurt is not a bug, it's a feature. Over 2 years later and one still gets great entertainment out of it from the sheer unhinged seething it causes. God bless Monolith.
0_days_since_whining_about_Xenoblade.jpg

Feat. Smashboards and GameFaqs, but yeah, haha.

>Last piece of smash content in general

Every smash game prior has been the "last piece of smash content", don't believe him when he says that. They're going to be making more new smash games, with or without Sakurai in all honesty. Smash itself is a singular reason why some people buy Nintendo consoles, no way they're gonna just drop that buisness-wise.
I mean, he's not lying per se. He's just not in the right headspace to be thinking that far ahead. There may come a time where a sequel is proposed and then planned out, but for now, he's operating under the present and what's in the papers. To be so specific about this Pass being the last one really drives that nail at home this time around. We have to take his word for it and remain hopeful that we get what we've been clamoring for since speculation began.

As for the series possibly continuing without Sakurai, it will never happen unless Sakurai chooses a successor. Even then, it's still Franchise Suicide to just pass off the torch like that, mainly because the roster in its size and selection comes from his outstanding reputation in the gaming industry. That guy has a LOT of clout, so there's no way in hell his successor could ever bring in such a cast of characters all at once for a sequel. They wouldn't have the same level of respect from other big names and companies. There is a reason the Smash fanbase coined the term "Sakurai Magic", after all.

Putting that aside, I don't think Sakurai will necessarily stop directing the series, or having some kind of hand in future projects. It's kind of his Magnum Opus anyway, in an meta way of speaking. The fact that he is able to talk other developers and competitors into a crossover that shouldn't exist speaks volumes here. I don't think there is a single person in the fanbase baring some chuckleheads that underestimate his charisma stat (if Real Life was like an RPG).

Also, every news outlet seems to be forgetting a few words Sakurai actually said in the interview being the "right now" part.

Meaning as of right now, there is no plans for the next game since the current game is still being worked on and the switch life-span isn't up as much as tons of people would like to tell you otherwise. Nintendo is planning for this baby to last to 2027, and Smash is a by-system release and it wouldn't make sense to release two Smash games on one system. This also means /as of right now/ there is no plans for future fighters or another fighter because because 1. It hasn't been granted yet, Fighter Pass #1 was supposed to be the last content added to Ultimate as we can gather from interviews but Sakurai suddenly got asked/was given permission for another six fighters and 2. Since we know permission on Fighter Pass #2 was still fairly recent by the time of its announcement, and arguably still even now and we still have 0 news and probably won't till maybe next month or even till April (I honestly don't think we're gonna get a second nintendo direct this month when we're almost out of the month in ten days as of this post), they practically /just/ started working on brand new content, of course they're not gonna sketch up any more plans until they're done/close to being done with the current pass.
The only way I could see Sakurai pass over the project to someone he trusts is if Ultimate continues getting support, and it's him specifically who steps out of the project plan. Sort of like Double-Helix leaving Killer Instinct 2013 to Iron Galaxy. Not quite 1:1, but still similar enough in that we could expect content to grow from there while having a noticeable difference to Sakurai's current works. Hypothetically, this could open up the door to the First-Party character promotions that a portion of the fanbase is hoping for. Without Sakurai at the helm, the potential newblood (or veteran) could be like, "Ehh **** it, let's upgrade Rex, Spring Man, Shantae, Shovel Knight, etc."

So no, this isn't anyone's "last chance", there'll be future games and potentially still future content post-fighter pass 2. We'll probably know for sure around Fighter #10 or #11 on that. I will say though, if there would be another Smash game during the Switch's life-span... probably some gacha mobile game. Personally? I'd like it to play like FGO if it comes to that, otherwise we're stuck with Ultimate and seeming as Ultimate may have a Brawl-length lifespan or even more, that means time for the modding community to develop and evolve. Potentially to the level of Brawl this time around unlike Smash 4. By that time modding a switch would've probably become much easier and much more safer as well.
The "last chance" people speak of is the fear that this is the last opportunity their Most-Wanted (and by extension, our Most-Wanted) to appear in what might be the final Smash game to include everyone that has ever been playable in the series. The thought of getting Rex or Reimu or... hell, even Hyde Kido in a sequel too late feels Pyrrhic to me. Sure, I wouldn't miss Snake or Bowser Jr., assuming those two are some of the many potential cuts in a sequel, but their presence along with everyone else's in Ultimate's was part of the magic. The fact that there are so many fanbases converged in one single game is pure majesty in and of itself. It just... it just doesn't feel right if EVERYONE ISN'T HERE, y'know?

Oh, and speaking of Fate, still quietly rooting for Artoria.

Top Bottom