• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KOS-MOS Returning to Battle: DLC Season 2.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The most damning thing about the reveal to me that i just realized is how Sakurai claimed Rex could not make it due to being recent and too late for developement. WELL WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN NOW THAT BYLETH IS A THING?! Xenoblade 2 came out December 1st 2017. 3 Houses? July of last year. I'm sorry but that is bullsh*t. If I had to pick one 1st party DLC character for ultimate, it would have been for Rex and Pyra. But who the hell cares amirite? Fire Emblem is a HOUSEHOLD name! (see what i did there? :p) I've accepted Rex's fate before the announcement and I was relatively cool with it. But Byleth in smash pisses me off to no end.
Spring Man’s also an Assist Trophy and his game came out a few months before Xenoblade 2

akarise

Smash Rookie
NNID
akarise
Switch FC
SW-5355-8287-4116
As expected, it seems like KOS-MOS' time hasn't come yet but with 6 confirmed new fighters, she definitely still has a shot!

As for Byleth, I'm actually pretty happy with the reveal as I've been a huge Fire Emblem fan since FE7 first released in the west and Three Houses has been one of my favorite games of 2019. Even though there are a LOT of FE characters now, at least I'm happy we got a character that I have a personal attachment to, unlike with Arle or someone else. Considering that Three Houses is the best selling FE and also one of, if not the best, FE ever made, I can see why Nintendo and Sakurai wanted to put him/her in the game. It kinda sucks that now Three Houses is getting all this heat simply because of Byleth's inclusion in Smash since it's such a great game but I guess it's to be expected with how toxic this community can get unfortunately. I'm pretty satisfied with this fighters pass though since, as a big JRPG fan, I got both Persona 5 and Three Houses reps, with DQXI's Hero being a cool inclusion too despite me hating his RNG mechanics.

I think my biggest concern now is that KOS-MOS may have to compete with Rex/Pyra/Mythra for a spot in the next fighters pass as I don't see both of them making it in. With Sakurai directly mentioning that he wanted to add Rex/Pyra/Mythra to the original roster, I'm expecting that they have a very high chance of making it, severely reducing KOS-MOS' chances. While I would be super excited for them as a huge Xeno fan in general, KOS-MOS is still the one I want most as a Xeno rep so I'm still a bit disappointed she didn't make the cut this time around. I'm still rooting for her though and won't give up until Nintendo confirms that no more DLC fighters will be added!

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
I think my biggest concern now is that KOS-MOS may have to compete with Rex/Pyra/Mythra for a spot in the next fighters pass as I don't see both of them making it in. With Sakurai directly mentioning that he wanted to add Rex/Pyra/Mythra to the original roster, I'm expecting that they have a very high chance of making it, severely reducing KOS-MOS' chances. While I would be super excited for them as a huge Xeno fan in general, KOS-MOS is still the one I want most as a Xeno rep so I'm still a bit disappointed she didn't make the cut this time around. I'm still rooting for her though and won't give up until Nintendo confirms that no more DLC fighters will be added!
I totally have the same concern as you, although I can't help feeling that the reason why Rex & Pyra have not been made playable and will hardly ever be is because of Pyra's big "attributes" and rather revealing outfit ( a bit like the Mai Shiranui situation ). Considering that they already had to censor the outfit of Mythra's spirit, my theory may not completely miss the mark.
With how annoying/unjustified censorships can be, I wouldn't be surprised with Smash devs going the easy way with Kos-Mos, whose proportions and outfits can easily make the cut, saving themselves from potential trouble similar to what they endured with Palutena's leg almost delaying the SSB4's release.

Last edited:

akarise

Smash Rookie
NNID
akarise
Switch FC
SW-5355-8287-4116
I totally have the same concern as you, although I can't help feeling that the reason why Rex & Pyra have not been made playable and will hardly ever be is because of Pyra's big "attributes" and rather revealing outfit ( a bit like the Mai Shiranui situation ). Considering that they already had to censor the outfit of Mythra's spirit, my theory may not completely miss the mark.
With how annoying/unjustified censorships can be, I wouldn't be surprised with Smash devs going the easy way with Kos-Mos, whose proportions and outfits can easily make the cut, saving themselves from potential trouble similar to what they endured with Palutena's leg almost delaying the SSB4's release.
Well Pyra's chest is completely covered so the issue with her may be her extremely short shorts and exposed back, but they could cover those areas up with a texture or something without too much trouble. I hope you're right though!

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I don't think we'll be seeing any Smash DLC news until the E3 direct. Given that we've gotten the last fighter of FP1 out there, the PMD release, Animal Crossing in March, Fire Emblem DLC next month etc. I don't see a general Direct until March or April, and I'll think they'll save the debut FP2 fighter for June.

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
I just have 3 things to say. Number 1: While i`m am happy that Byleth is in Smash i wish it would`ve been Edelgard instead. Number 2: Since we are getting a 2nd Fighter Pass & six more DLC characters at that KOS-MOS still has a shot at getting in. And number 3: I recently heard that Lesley has left i will sorely miss her, all she wanted was a 100% Female playable character & i liked her because she always stood up for Female characters that everyone wanted KOS-MOS,Shantae,Chun-Li,Mai etc. i hope she`s doing alright.:(

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
I just have 3 things to say. Number 1: While i`m am happy that Byleth is in Smash i wish it would`ve been Edelgard instead. Number 2: Since we are getting a 2nd Fighter Pass & six more DLC characters at that KOS-MOS still has a shot at getting in. And number 3: I recently heard that Lesley has left i will sorely miss her, all she wanted was a 100% Female playable character & i liked her because she always stood up for Female characters that everyone wanted KOS-MOS,Shantae,Chun-Li,Mai etc. i hope she`s doing alright.:(
Oh Lesley is back under a new account. She is happy for Byleth. But yes hopefully KOS-MOS in the second season.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Well, if there's one thing I like about Female Byleth is that it will hopefully stop the X is too sexy for smash argument. I mean, as long as you are are not showing off like Mai Shiranui it should be fine. KOS-MOS should be fair game and so should Pyra/Mythra if they ever get in with Rex.

Super Bario

Smash Cadet
Well, if there's one thing I like about Female Byleth is that it will hopefully stop the X is too sexy for smash argument. I mean, as long as you are are not showing off like Mai Shiranui it should be fine. KOS-MOS should be fair game and so should Pyra/Mythra if they ever get in with Rex.
I was always under the impression Mai’s design was too rooted in her character/fighting style to simply edit for Smash like Mythra was. I always found that argument weak anyway as nether KOS-MOS nor Pyra/Mythra ever act suggestive in game. It’s mostly just in their outfits, which they already showed that they have no problems tweaking to keep the E10 rating.

Last edited:

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
The most damning thing about the reveal to me that i just realized is how Sakurai claimed Rex could not make it due to being recent and too late for developement. WELL WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN NOW THAT BYLETH IS A THING?! Xenoblade 2 came out December 1st 2017. 3 Houses? July of last year. I'm sorry but that is bullsh*t. If I had to pick one 1st party DLC character for ultimate, it would have been for Rex and Pyra. But who the hell cares amirite? Fire Emblem is a HOUSEHOLD name! (see what i did there? :p) I've accepted Rex's fate before the announcement and I was relatively cool with it. But Byleth in smash pisses me off to no end. I SINCERELY hope they are the last Fire Emblem reps for smash. Period. that brings up the total to 8 and 3 of them are identical. I hope all of you understand my frustration, and I apologize if I came off too hard. No offense to 3 Houses or it's fans.
Yeah, kinda the only hate I actually had for that announcement.

I've just kinda though have long since accepted Rex with his blades, Spring-Man and the main protagonist of Astral Chain are just gonna have to be inclusions for the next smash game on the next console generation. Where we will then complain about newcomers on that system that were introduced early in the system's life-span not getting into smash and eventually have a similar situation to now.

But yeah, all of this was decided in November of 2018, probably even earlier tbh... XBC2 was in development at the same time as X believe it or not, it's just that getting character designs done were taking an unnatural long time to do for 2 apparently. We know plot though is one of the first things they get done thanks to interviews, so... yeah. For all we know Byleth's inclusion was potentially made before the various delays of 3 Houses since it was supposed to be a 2018 release game announced back in E3 of 2017... which y'know... still puts it after XBC2 but whatever Sakurai. Just look at the development section of Three Houses' wikipedia page since I'm not gonna recite everything from it here. Still though congrats to the Fire Emblem fans for tying with pokemon and almost Mario if it wasn't for Piranha Plant, and no... Yoshi, Wario, and DK don't count as much as some people might like to try to make it that way.

I just have hope for an Older Xeno-character to get in which is basically either KOS-MOS or Fei (hahahahaha... y'know as much **** we give Square Enix at least they release Gears on digital storefronts... which ngl... pretty sure most of us didn't want an actual Xenosaga series remake and more-so just a re-release of it on digital storefronts. Since a whole remake would probably make it have to be on big of a budget as FF7 remake or something and we know that just isn't ever gonna be the case as nice as it would be). Otherwise... as weird as it may be... Jin? Would be weird of having one of the main villains of XBC2 be a second Xenoblade rep or something but at least he's a main protagonist of Torna if not /the/ main protagonist. Otherwise since y'know... if we can get Fire Emblem avatars with no personalities whatsoever... I'll take even Cross.

Xeno-series priority list not counting Rex and Elma be like:

1. KOS-MOS
2. Jin
3. Fei
4. M&F Cross.
5. The rare miracle Sakurai was given insight on XBCX2 or XBC3 and puts in their main protagonist.

Troykv

Smash Master
Well... I'm not expecting more FE in future, so my most wanted it's more farfetched than usual this time.

But hey, I'm happy there are more chances for KOS-MOS to appear in Smash... I wonder if this leaks actually meant something,

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
Well... I'm not expecting more FE in future, so my most wanted it's more farfetched than usual this time.

But hey, I'm happy there are more chances for KOS-MOS to appear in Smash... I wonder if this leaks actually meant something,
At this point, the only "leak" that I think may yet hold water is that mysterious KOS-MOS mod showcase takedown from last month. Of course, Nintendo could have flagged that video for some other benign reason that had nothing to do with KOS-MOS, but it's still strange nonetheless. And there's also the whole Daisy pic theory... Do you guys really think that Mario and Daisy were meant to hint at the male and female Byleth alts for the anniversary? Why not put a more recognizable duo like Mario and Peach, or Link and Zelda... Hell, even Luigi and Daisy would have made more sense. I know I'm probably grasping at straws here, but I'll be very shocked if a future newcomer doesn't end up relating to that picture retroactively in some way.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
At this point, the only "leak" that I think may yet hold water is that mysterious KOS-MOS mod showcase takedown from last month. Of course, Nintendo could have flagged that video for some other benign reason that had nothing to do with KOS-MOS, but it's still strange nonetheless. And there's also the whole Daisy pic theory... Do you guys really think that Mario and Daisy were meant to hint at the male and female Byleth alts for the anniversary? Why not put a more recognizable duo like Mario and Peach, or Link and Zelda... Hell, even Luigi and Daisy would have made more sense. I know I'm probably grasping at straws here, but I'll be very shocked if a future newcomer doesn't end up relating to that picture retroactively in some way.
Yeah, that KOS-MOS mod is still down. It was the first thing I checked after Byleth got revealed. But we will be here all week arguing if it means anything so I guess we should just consider that it might be a Sans Megalovania situation. Don't forget that the SMRPG osts that got taken down a long time ago as well haven't meant anything yet either. What i'm saying is we should fear the worst if that mod means she's a mii costume or something. Always be ready for that possibility....

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Yeah, that KOS-MOS mod is still down. It was the first thing I checked after Byleth got revealed. But we will be here all week arguing if it means anything so I guess we should just consider that it might be a Sans Megalovania situation. Don't forget that the SMRPG osts that got taken down a long time ago as well haven't meant anything yet either. What i'm saying is we should fear the worst if that mod means she's a mii costume or something. Always be ready for that possibility....
The nature of its removal, assuming it's legit, is off though. She has realistic proportions, which differ greatly from Mii Fighters. Since they took down a video that gave us a visual showcase of something, rather than relying on a soundtrack, it gives it just a little credence.

That being said, I already covered all of the possible strikes against this theory. The only real way to test it out is to get the same results consistently. That would be risky however, since the possibility of it being legit means alerting Nintendo and getting in serious trouble for info that was found out on accident.

zumaddy

Smash Ace

We're in similar boats haha. My most wanted FE character was actually Azura, but I believe her time has come and gone. I don't really support her seriously anymore. Good luck with Micky.

Anyways regarding KOS-MOS it seems we're right where we were before Byleth was revealed - we've got a decent chance but not in any way a lock. Not too bad a spot to be in :)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Her new account is @Madame Lesley
Thanks for the heads up Megadoomer Megadoomer . Welcome back Lesley, aka @Madame Lesley. What did you think of Byleth Lesley? I wasn't very happy about receiving a 8th Fire Emblem rep, but when I heard that Byleth was going to have a female skin I was happy for you. It sucked to hear the sad news on that same day during the Presentation that you left and I'm thrilled that you're back Lesley. ;)

D

Deleted member

What did you think of Byleth Lesley? I wasn't very happy about receiving a 8th Fire Emblem rep, but when I heard that Byleth was going to have a female skin I was happy for you.
It's a double win and I'll take it and consider Byleth the female rep I needed. Plus I'm an FE fangirl still playing 3H, and this brought tears on my eyes.

I would've prepared a speech at the female DLC thread but I got caught up playing...but yeah.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It's a double win and I'll take it and consider Byleth the female rep I needed. Plus I'm an FE fangirl still playing 3H, and this brought tears on my eyes.

I would've prepared a speech at the female DLC thread but I got caught up playing...but yeah.
I'm glad to hear that you're happy Lesley. :)

Last edited:

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
Welcome back Lesley. I`m glad to hear that you`re happy about Byleth`s inclusion.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Hopefully more female STANDALONE characters join the fray later on, it is more than overdue.

Byleth's inclusion actually grew on me exponentially but why is the male version always the base one with FE characters though ? >-<

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hopefully more female STANDALONE characters join the fray later on, it is more than overdue.

Byleth's inclusion actually grew on me exponentially but why is the male version always the base one with FE characters though ? >-<
If Octoling from Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion gets in I have a feeling the female Octoling will be the default as with the female Inkling.

FightingGhost73

Smash Cadet
The nature of its removal, assuming it's legit, is off though. She has realistic proportions, which differ greatly from Mii Fighters. Since they took down a video that gave us a visual showcase of something, rather than relying on a soundtrack, it gives it just a little credence.

That being said, I already covered all of the possible strikes against this theory. The only real way to test it out is to get the same results consistently. That would be risky however, since the possibility of it being legit means alerting Nintendo and getting in serious trouble for info that was found out on accident.
When was the video taken down again? I ask this cause Sakurai mentioned that Byleths intro video was taken in November and that the next 6 characters were already decided too. At this point there no purpose in reading in to things anymore but id like to have hope.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
When was the video taken down again? I ask this cause Sakurai mentioned that Byleths intro video was taken in November and that the next 6 characters were already decided too. At this point there no purpose in reading in to things anymore but id like to have hope.
Around the game awards, in December.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
While I'm not extremely confident in her chances anymore, you can bet your ass that I'm still rooting for her in season 2.

Maybe KOS-MOS could appear in XC:DE in some capacity and they use her as a promotional character?

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
While I'm not extremely confident in her chances anymore, you can bet your ass that I'm still rooting for her in season 2.

Maybe KOS-MOS could appear in XC:DE in some capacity and they use her as a promotional character?
I wouldn't put it past Monolith to include her in a postgame challenge akin to what we saw in XC2. They're on great terms with Namco these days so it's far from impossible. It's just a matter of how far they're willing to go in terms of content. We know that they're adding Bionis Shoulder, and presumably the rest of the content that was cut from the initial release, but we'll see how far they're willing to go.

Also, picking up the Dark Samus amiibo this weekend just makes me want KOS-MOS in Smash even more for the inevitability of getting a sick figure of her to go with my collection. They really stepped up the production quality of the Ultimate-era amiibo and KOS-MOS would look insane I'm sure.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Bandai Namco is by the far the most likely 3rd party company to get a character this new wave of DLC, so KOS-MOS is one of the most likely candidates

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Bandai Namco is by the far the most likely 3rd party company to get a character this new wave of DLC, so KOS-MOS is one of the most likely candidates
That and so far Mii Costumes from 4 have only been promoted to playable in Ultimate in the base roster (:ultchrom::ultinkling::ultisabelle::ultkrool:). I have a feeling Heihachi and Lloyd will be Mii Costumes again

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
That and so far Mii Costumes from 4 have only been promoted to playable in Ultimate in the base roster (:ultchrom::ultinkling::ultisabelle::ultkrool:). I have a feeling Heihachi and Lloyd will be Mii Costumes again
Heihachi? Yes. Lloyd Irving? That's debatable. But if both Mii costumes come back along with the Gil costume as well than our gal is practically in if a Namco rep is coming.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Heihachi? Yes. Lloyd Irving? That's debatable. But if both Mii costumes come back along with the Gil costume as well than our gal is practically in if a Namco rep is coming.
KOS-MOS would still have Soulcalibur to compete with, unfortunately.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Same here to be honest. I'm not saying KOS-MOS is guaranteed and I still believe in her but I feel Lloyd definitely wont be in this pass if this is anything to go by.

Tales datamined trademark meant nothing for smash and Tales of Festival is happening a few days after E3. I feel like that would have been Lloyd's best chance if he was in but I can't see a E3 reveal happening for him now especially that we know the trademark had nothing to do with smash which by the way I have been saying for months now.

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/01/tales-of-festival-2020-set-for-june-13-to-14

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
If we ever did get a Soul Calibur character, Tira is mine personal pick.

As of now, KOS-MOS is mine most wanted NamcoBandai character. I recently watched some gameplay from all three Xenosaga games, and I dare say, they all look amazing. Up until now, I only listened to Xenosaga music. Since most of the Tales main characters wield swords, people might complain about another sword wielder joining the roster. By that logic, I think KOS-MOS would keep things fresh.

Still hoping for a Switch port of the Xenosaga games. Doesn't have to be an HD remaster; a direct port of the original games would be more than I could ask for.

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
I still feel that KOS-MOS is most likely to be the 2nd Namco Rep but in the case that we get a SoulCalibur character instead i feel that Sophitia is the most likely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom