• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KOS-MOS Returning to Battle: DLC Season 2.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
I made a Smashboards account just to support this thread. For me, Kos-Mos was kinda in the back of my mind as a possible Smash character. She was always there, but I never thought it was possible. Today I watched a video by the YouTuber, PapaGenos, and it was about some leak news regarding Hitagi. For those who don't keep up with this, Hitagi is one of the more creditable leakers who seems to have sources in high places. According to Hitagi, one of the five DLC characters is a Bandai x Namco rep. While this could mean any character from the company, I'm holding onto the possibility that it could be Kos-Mos. Also, has anyone found any interesting news regarding Kos-Mos? I would like to hear about it even if it's fake news honestly.
Hi and thanks for joining! I heard about that. Last night Hitagi said the Namco rep isn/t Agumon and in her/his comments not Lloyd either

It has to be KOS-MOS. Who else could be as high? Heihachi? I cant see Heihachi getting in now if he missed the base game and Sakurai's former comments regarding Heihachi's moveset being difficult to make in smash.

Scroll down a bit here: https://old.reddit.com/user/Senjoug...9ux39a/so_apparently_94_of_you_follow_me_lol/

Interesting thing to keep in mind: The guy that asked Hitagi is a KOS-MOS fan and Hitagi did not say no to KOS-MOS. He said not Agumon or Lloyd.

At least it's not a no right now but this is something new to discuss!

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Interesting thing to keep in mind: The guy that asked Hitagi is a KOS-MOS fan and Hitagi did not say no to KOS-MOS. He said not Agumon or Lloyd.

At least it's not a no right now but this is something new to discuss!
I'm still 50/50 on Hitagi. Vergeben seems to be kinda buddy with him/her, so it's possible that there is a level of truth to their cryptic blogging. That being said, I wouldn't place all my cards on them yet.

Assuming they are legit, we can check off Lloyd and Agumon. Now to list off who else KOS-MOS might have to face off against for the Bamco character spot:
-Heihachi: I think he's still a "threat" so to speak. Sakurai's statement regarding him could very well change. On the other hand, Heihachi's costume was made publicly known mid-2015, and the project plan for Ultimate happened somewhere around that year. It's possible he couldn't find a way to work him into the DLC plans at the time, both for Smash 4's base roster and Ultimate.

-Klonoa: A long shot, but fairly possible I think. Bamco hasn't forgotten about him, and he's marketable enough in a game like Smash. I feel like Nintendo would probably advertise him to reach out to a certain audience besides the obvious.

-Yuri: Hitagi said "no Lloyd", but while he's considered the face of the franchise in some circles, there are still protagonists Yuri and Luke, who for all intents and purposes are hella-popular as well. Assuming it's neither Heihachi nor Klonoa, watch out for these two instead.

-Taizou: An obscure choice, but a choice nonetheless. With Bomberman in AT Hell, it doesn't seem likely that his Bamco counterpart will be inflating characters and- Actually, forget I said anything... Imma just... grab the brain bleach over there and... h-he might work better in a Darkstalkers crossover

-Nightmare/Siegfried: Unless they're visually and aesthetically compared to the likes of Cloud, Ike, and Black Knight for composite reasoning, I think they have a fair shot at being playable (with both being costume swaps of each other, obviously). Their franchise has the right kind of stages and music, and they'd be the first 3rd-party characters to be a playable villain in some form.

-Ummm, ****, who else... Oh, a Souls character! Not Solaire though. Popular he may be, but that's just delving into Sans Undertale territory. If we got one from the series, it'd likely be the Chosen Undead or the Ashen One (or even Artorias, but the dude's kinda large and lanky).

Honorable mentions go to...any other Soul Calibur character they'd like to use, maybe even Jin Kazama from Tekken, and maybe even a different Tales Of character that I didn't speak of. They're kinda low priority atm because they bring in their own slew of problems that you can attribute to them like the above main names. I'm lowering my expectations for now, but the "Didn't say no" response kinda gives me hope. Though I hope Hitagi's silence toward KOS-MOS doesn't imply something else, like a subtle way of going, "Who?" without asking it.

Last edited:

Stage4Boss

Smash Cadet
I rarely post on these boards, but I decided to come out of the woodwork to say that KOS-MOS is one of my five DLC speculation picks.
I have been a fan of the xeno series since 2000 and I am so glad that it is still kicking around today in different forms.

I know we likely wont be getting any items/assists for DLC franchises, but if you were to pick an assist trophy or item from Xenosaga, who/what would you pick for inclusion in Smash?

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
I don't know if anyone already mentioned the Erde Kiaser mechs but I'd think they would be cool to have in as a assist trophy. Mainly for the fact that you could summon them in battle and their attack animations were dope.

Any kind of Erde Kaiser would do. I don't remember if that being able to summon them was the case in XS1 or XS2, but that was definitely a cool memory from XS3.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
I consider Heihachi out of the running, both for Sakurai's previous comments about his moveset complexity and the fact that he'd feel redundant with Ken here now. His VA was also Unsho Ishizuka, which may or not put a greater damper on things (Incineroar doesn't factor in because he'd already recorded his lines before passing).

While I still don't find Hitagi that believable, KOS-MOS' chances are looking better than they've ever been now. Namco absolutely deserves a second rep and she has her recent XC2 appearance to give her a Nintendo-friendly design and familiarity.

NukeA6

Smash Master
I don't know if anyone already mentioned the Erde Kiaser mechs but I'd think they would be cool to have in as a assist trophy. Mainly for the fact that you could summon them in battle and their attack animations were dope.

Any kind of Erde Kaiser would do. I don't remember if that being able to summon them was the case in XS1 or XS2, but that was definitely a cool memory from XS3.
Erde Kaiser was a summon in all three games.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I consider Heihachi out of the running, both for Sakurai's previous comments about his moveset complexity and the fact that he'd feel redundant with Ken here now. His VA was also Unsho Ishizuka, which may or not put a greater damper on things (Incineroar doesn't factor in because he'd already recorded his lines before passing).
As I said in my post, Sakurai could have changed his tune about Heihachi when developing Ultimate, though it's possible he tried in that same year when the project plan was decided. If so, it's possible that Ishizuka already recorded lines before his passing, and Sakurai would want to commemorate him in some way as a result. I also think it's still unlikely, but after box theory and Kencineroar, I need to consider every possible variable (Fencers, rise up!)

Namco absolutely deserves a second rep and she has her recent XC2 appearance to give her a Nintendo-friendly design and familiarity.
I can understand her second and third versions being a bit on the risqué side, but her original look and fourth version look pretty standard if sleek at that. I think she'll be fine if Sakurai wants to incorporate her. She'll probably get the Roy treatment from Bamco themselves if they want to incorporate her XB2 elements into V1 and V4. Otherwise, the only actual things about her that need any sort of ESRB filtering is D-TENERITAS' angling. It's already far less lewd than what Bayo does with her hair summons, but the close-up shot to her chest would definitely be the first thing they address if it's in her Smash move-set.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
As I said in my post, Sakurai could have changed his tune about Heihachi when developing Ultimate, though it's possible he tried in that same year when the project plan was decided. If so, it's possible that Ishizuka already recorded lines before his passing, and Sakurai would want to commemorate him in some way as a result. I also think it's still unlikely, but after box theory and Kencineroar, I need to consider every possible variable (Fencers, rise up!)

I can understand her second and third versions being a bit on the risqué side, but her original look and fourth version look pretty standard if sleek at that. I think she'll be fine if Sakurai wants to incorporate her. She'll probably get the Roy treatment from Bamco themselves if they want to incorporate her XB2 elements into V1 and V4. Otherwise, the only actual things about her that need any sort of ESRB filtering is D-TENERITAS' angling. It's already far less lewd than what Bayo does with her hair summons, but the close-up shot to her chest would definitely be the first thing they address if it's in her Smash move-set.
Thing is, I feel that would have been case had Heihachi made the base roster, which he did not. Of course they could use lines posthumously as they did for Gray Fox's Japanese VA so that's something to consider. I still think Sakurai's comment about his extreme moveset complexity keeps him out, can't recall him citing that for any other characters.

And as for KOS-MOS' design like you said Bayonetta is already here so I don't consider censorship much an issue. X-Buster chest closeup is a big no-no though of course.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Thing is, I feel that would have been case had Heihachi made the base roster, which he did not. Of course they could use lines posthumously as they did for Gray Fox's Japanese VA so that's something to consider. I still think Sakurai's comment about his extreme moveset complexity keeps him out, can't recall him citing that for any other characters.
Fair point. If Bamco wanted Heihachi, they would have done it by now. Sakurai would have used Ryu and Ken's boneset with some variations. He would have been easy to implement, but the Tekken style of movement being a problem for his gameplay is a plausible explanation. The only other examples I can cite are characters like Pac-Man and Villager, who were apparently supposed to be in Brawl, but couldn't quite making it because their move-sets couldn't be realized at the time. In your defense though, there was a huge gap between Brawl and Smash 4, so Sakurai had plenty of time to change his tune. Hence their inclusion in Smash 4. Heihachi doesn't have that luxury because Smash 4 and Smash Ultimate are barely apart in time.

And as for KOS-MOS' design like you said Bayonetta is already here so I don't consider censorship much an issue. X-Buster chest closeup is a big no-no though of course.
Do you think they'd make X-BUSTER her final smash, or D-TENERITAS? I'm leaning toward the former.

Last edited:

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Fair point. If Bamco wanted Heihachi, they would have done it by now. Sakurai would have used Ryu and Ken's boneset with some variations. He would have been easy to implement, but the Tekken style of movement being a problem for his gameplay is a plausible explanation. The only other examples I can cite are characters like Pac-Man and Villager, who were apparently supposed to be in Brawl, but couldn't quite making it because their move-sets couldn't be realized at the time. In your defense though, there was a huge gap between Brawl and Smash 4, so Sakurai had plenty of time to change his tune. Hence their inclusion in Smash 4. Heihachi doesn't have that luxury because Smash 4 and Smash Ultimate are barely apart in time.

Do you think they'd make X-BUSTER her final smash, or D-TENERITAS? I'm leaning toward the former.
Yeah, I also think Akira being an Assist Trophy means our playable fighting game character quota has been met.
X-BUSTER for sure, that's her more iconic move.

Lynn Eslie

Smash Apprentice

More than an Assist Trophy, I'd like to reference the voltron-esque aspect of Erde Kaiser by having it summoned as a combo-item, using the usual 3-part structure in Smash.

Kaiser Arms
Kaiser Legs
Kaiser Body+Head

Get all three and it summons Erde Kaiser for a short cutscene before dealing heavy damage to all un-allied units. Fail to get all 3 in a certain timeframe, and they auto-summon as considerably weaker, avoidable attacks.

(Erde Kaiser music required)

Given the overwhelming power X-BUSTER displayed in XB2, I'm likewise inclined to favor it.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
It's quite amazing how in one year in half, KOS-MOS has passed to be from a niche choice, to actually someone that is considered to have a legit chance in the DLC, even from some people in Source Gaming

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
It's quite amazing how in one year in half, KOS-MOS has passed to be from a niche choice, to actually someone that is considered to have a legit chance in the DLC, even from some people in Source Gaming

I think the people at Sourcegaming did mention her in an article way back about which fighters they wanted to see. However, it's great to see her mentioned by them yet again!

Also, I dont necessarily believe Hitagi but they did say Spirits would not get any fighters and that there would be no Xenoblade characters in the dlc but hinted at Namco as I posted the other day.

We now have full confirmation that Elma is a spirit, therefore there might be some truth to what Hitagi is saying but still take it with a grain of salt.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion

In all fairness, she isn't exactly niche herself. It's just that Tekken is highly relevant and Tales Of has a very strong, very vocal following. They took precedence for a while until enough detractors noticed their redundancy to characters like Ryu, Pit, and the Fire Emblem Lords. Enough people came in with alternatives like Klonoa, Agumon, and eventually KOS-MOS now.

Even Matt Simmons from YoVideogames (big fan of Maximilian here) has gone on record to acknowledge her possibility as a Namco rep, and funnily enough mentioned her before the other possible Namco characters (do note though that he doesn't like Mary Magdalene, but he still acknowledges the odds). I'd say that KOS-MOS went from having silent support to other people going, "Oh right, she exists! She'd be pretty neat."

Last edited:

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
As you all are likely aware, Ultimate is being datamined right now and all Spirits have been revealed. That said, our very own KOS-MOS is not among them when numerous other characters are. This could be a huge boon to her chances.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
As you all are likely aware, Ultimate is being datamined right now and all Spirits have been revealed. That said, our very own KOS-MOS is not among them when numerous other characters are. This could be a huge boon to her chances.
30 additional slots for what may be Fighters beyond the base roster have also been found. This could mean that DLC support for up to 100 total characters, giving competing Namco neighbors such as Heihachi and Lloyd a fair chance at co-existing with our lady KOS-MOS. And really, if you can make all camps happy, why not, right?)

Smash Ultimate post DLC 2.png

However...

Brawl had empty, unused slots as well. Whether or not DLC was planned for that game is uncertain, but the empty slots in Ultimate could mean anything else. It is reasonable to assume that their placement is in case of DLC being on high enough demand should the game remain popular post-Fighter's Pack final launch. Let us be mindful that the additional slots may not be used past a certain point, but with that being said, let us all hope for the best!

Last edited:

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Ever since the spirit datamine.... there's been a huge influx of posts on 4chan about KOS-MOS. I just thought I would put that out there because I was very impressed to see the support. Do I think she will be a fighter? Maybe and her chances are definitely great right now if Spirits do mean anything for future fighters. I was impressed to see out of 1000+ spirits that she was not on the list. In fact, it shows there has to be something up or maybe that's just me speculating hehe but wow I'm sure glad she is being talked about. As for the whole 30 dlc fighter thing I'm not even sure what to think. On one hand it hints there will be more than 5 dlc characters but it doesn't mean we will get 30 slots. It's honestly a bit delusional for people to believe that considering Sakurai has developed 75 fighters already and values his health. I dont see him putting his health on the line just to please people with ultimate. So yeah, not really any opinions on that yet from me. But it sure is looking like there is a bright future ahead for us!

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Ever since the spirit datamine.... there's been a huge influx of posts on 4chan about KOS-MOS. I just thought I would put that out there because I was very impressed to see the support. Do I think she will be a fighter? Maybe and her chances are definitely great right now if Spirits do mean anything for future fighters. I was impressed to see out of 1000+ spirits that she was not on the list. In fact, it shows there has to be something up or maybe that's just me speculating hehe but wow I'm sure glad she is being talked about. As for the whole 30 dlc fighter thing I'm not even sure what to think. On one hand it hints there will be more than 5 dlc characters but it doesn't mean we will get 30 slots. It's honestly a bit delusional for people to believe that considering Sakurai has developed 75 fighters already and values his health. I dont see him putting his health on the line just to please people with ultimate. So yeah, not really any opinions on that yet from me. But it sure is looking like there is a bright future ahead for us!
You know what? I'm going to address the elephant in the room here: Sakurai will only have to carry the weight of five characters, five stages, and a handful of songs within a year-or-so of content. Being the working man that he is – like other Nintendo employees – it's his job to work (thanks, Emiya!). As mean-spirited as it sounds, consider that the workload itself is leagues less than all the work he has been doing on Ultimate as far as content goes.

Sure, it's more he has to do, but it's also less overall resources to rely on, so it's not unreasonable to assume that his breaks in between are going to be a lot more generous to him. Plus, it's a way to keep the Switch alive since every new character introduced could advertise a game on the Switch, raising sales for those games and the character. I want Sakurai and his hard-working employees to get their due, but if it isn't Smash he's working on, he's sure as hell going to get a buttload more to do if he starts an entirely-new project (and this requires planning, resources, and a lot of muscle-work).

I hope the game is popular enough to warrant 30 DLC characters. That's basically 5+ years added to the Switch console, and given the consoles' current successes, it opens the gateway to other 3rd-party companies who want to pay their tribute. It's also a way to get a healthy number of Fighters from each company representing so far, and the last thing I want is to see a civil war break out between the Namco fanbases. Hell, I was content with the Grinch Leak's content because I wanted people to be happy.

If we're lucky, KOS-MOS's appearance in her Refrain outfit could boost sales in Xenoblade Chronicles 2, coincide with the re-release of the Xenosaga original trilogy, and lead onto an entirely-new Xenosaga video game (could be a new trilogy, or a reboot with new graphics). There's also her gaining a figure before other important Xeno characters besides Pyra and Mythra, which is a weird thing to do unless they know a market for KOS-MOS exists. It could just be consolation-type stuff, but let's not dwell on that possibility, eh? We wouldn't be clamoring for her otherwise~

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
I hope the game is popular enough to warrant 30 DLC characters.
Better hope the gameplay is good then. So far, most of the whining is all about content which makes no sense and makes me wonder if they're all self-entitled brats with the most unrealistic expectations imaginable.

Although, it's safe to say a Xeno character has a good chance to be DLC whether it's Elma or KOS-MOS.

Last edited:

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
You know what? I'm going to address the elephant in the room here: Sakurai will only have to carry the weight of five characters, five stages, and a handful of songs within a year-or-so of content. Being the working man that he is – like other Nintendo employees – it's his job to work (thanks, Emiya!). As mean-spirited as it sounds, consider that the workload itself is leagues less than all the work he has been doing on Ultimate as far as content goes.

Sure, it's more he has to do, but it's also less overall resources to rely on, so it's not unreasonable to assume that his breaks in between are going to be a lot more generous to him. Plus, it's a way to keep the Switch alive since every new character introduced could advertise a game on the Switch, raising sales for those games and the character. I want Sakurai and his hard-working employees to get their due, but if it isn't Smash he's working on, he's sure as hell going to get a buttload more to do if he starts an entirely-new project (and this requires planning, resources, and a lot of muscle-work).

I hope the game is popular enough to warrant 30 DLC characters. That's basically 5+ years added to the Switch console, and given the consoles' current successes, it opens the gateway to other 3rd-party companies who want to pay their tribute. It's also a way to get a healthy number of Fighters from each company representing so far, and the last thing I want is to see a civil war break out between the Namco fanbases. Hell, I was content with the Grinch Leak's content because I wanted people to be happy.

If we're lucky, KOS-MOS's appearance in her Refrain outfit could boost sales in Xenoblade Chronicles 2, coincide with the re-release of the Xenosaga original trilogy, and lead onto an entirely-new Xenosaga video game (could be a new trilogy, or a reboot with new graphics). There's also her gaining a figure before other important Xeno characters besides Pyra and Mythra, which is a weird thing to do unless they know a market for KOS-MOS exists. It could just be consolation-type stuff, but let's not dwell on that possibility, eh? We wouldn't be clamoring for her otherwise~
Well if you recall before E3 he did say he had a new project that was yet to be revealed and it was a mech toy he bought for help for reference in it... there's no mechs in Ultimate besides then X spirits. So I doubt that's what he needed it for. While Sakurai is a work a holic, and that is not a lie, I think he or Nintendo might put someone they trust in charge of DLC if we get more after DLC pack one so Sakurai can focus on his new project. Plus seeming as Nintendo wants to add more and more DLC to their existing titles it's not a strange thing to happen considering that. Plus I think 30 in seven years could be achievable seeming as considering Nintendo said their plan is to support it for ten years in 2017, meaning it'd stop its support in 2027... if we didn't get 30 or 20, etc. any DLC after the pass we'd be without any new smash content that was official for seven whole years.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Hello, can I support?
Haven't played XenoSaga, but KOS-MOS seems like a unique and interesting character that would be tons of fun to play as in Smash...

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
So uh

https://twitter.com/nintenz/status/1070690672435449856?s=21

Heihachi pretty much deconfirmed? Since his VO (who voices Incineroar in game) passed away too...

Would this perhaps help KOS-MOS’s chances by bumping off the competition? Lloyd is still a given tho I feel

Lloyd and KOS-MOS lesgo
I don’t think a tiny sprite puts Heihachi out of the running, much as I don’t want him. Seems like Lloyd’s going to win out in the end though.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I don’t think a tiny sprite puts Heihachi out of the running, much as I don’t want him. Seems like Lloyd’s going to win out in the end though.
I think Bamco may get two reps and they’ll both be unique, since Ms. Pac Man is a background character and they coulda made her an Alph/Koopaling style alt but they didn’t so I’d say she’s out too. So I can’t imagine any echoes from Bamco.

Klonoa’s another option, but he’s not as well known as Lloyd, Yuri Lowell, or KOS-MOS.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
I think Bamco may get two reps and they’ll both be unique, since Ms. Pac Man is a background character and they coulda made her an Alph/Koopaling style alt but they didn’t so I’d say she’s out too. So I can’t imagine any echoes from Bamco.

Klonoa’s another option, but he’s not as well known as Lloyd, Yuri Lowell, or KOS-MOS.
Lloyd and KOS-MOS are in the lead I’d say, Heihachi’s VA Unsho Ishizuka (Incineroar) passed away this year and they probably wouldn’t want to use the character out of respect. Yuri could happen but I think Sakurai once he’d pick Lloyd if Tales were to ever get in.

The question now is whether KOS-MOS would be a part of Xenoblade or represent Xenosaga on her own in Smash.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Probably Xenosaga on her own, with a Zohar logo.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
While I've never played any of the games she stars in besides maybe XB2, I think that KOS-MOS would be an excellent representative of the Xeno franchise. I remember watching the full Xenosaga movie a few years ago and being blown away be how much lore went it to it. KOS-MOS in particular was especially amazing.

So, long story short, consider me a supporter! :)

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
So uh

https://twitter.com/nintenz/status/1070690672435449856?s=21

Heihachi pretty much deconfirmed? Since his VO (who voices Incineroar in game) passed away too...

Would this perhaps help KOS-MOS’s chances by bumping off the competition? Lloyd is still a given tho I feel

Lloyd and KOS-MOS lesgo
I've always thought Heihachi was out of dlc since he didn't make the base game but this more or less seals it for me. Reasons: Heihachi got a mii costume in smash wii U because Sakurai said his moveset would be hard to implement, and then unfortunately we heard Heihachi's VA passed away but still recorded all his finished lines for Incineroar. I think this is the best possible way they can show Heihachi in the game since he's not a spirit. Besides, I feel that Heihachi was more of a base game character while KOS-MOS was more fit for dlc considering she was only in P X Z 2 at the time Sakurai finalized his roster. It wouldnt have made much sense to put her in without noting how important her XB2 cameo is and he probably saw that later when she was marketed for it.

Thanks for posting this!

ZSSamus_

Smash Rookie
kos-mos is all i want for dlc actually, been voting for since the ballot XD.

anyways with heiheichi deconfirmed kos-mos has more of a chance. ^_^

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I don't have much to contribute this time around, but it's worth mentioning that Sakurai has stated once that he didn't think much of anyone from Namco aside from Pac-Man, at least as far as move-sets are concerned. That might have led to an attempt to work on Heihachi, but we all know how that story ended. I think his mind could have changed by then, especially with one particular detail about KOS-MOS and Lloyd that I think gives both of them fair odds to be considered if Sakurai gave a second look at Namco's list (or if Namco themselves went "pretty please with a cherry on top?").

It's pretty much their move-set potential at this point, more-so for KOS-MOS than Lloyd really. If we get a VGA announcement for one of the mystery fighters, I don't think we'd get either one of the two, unless they coincide with an HD remake or a re-release on the Switch. It also seems kinda unlikely for now, since the Torna expansion ended recently (in relative terms). Then again, Monolith Soft might be full of workaholics and they already have something in the works. Maybe something they can show us, who knows?

Bottom-line is, let's hype responsibly. Expect the worst, and hope for the best from here on out!

CHOCO character comparison.png

I think CHOCO took some design cues from KOS-MOS versions 3 and 4 when he/she designed Praxis and Theory. You can pretty much point out all of the similarities each one shares, right down to the blue hair and eyepatches (only visible on KOS-MOS for certain actions from what I've seen).

Last edited:

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I don't have much to contribute this time around, but it's worth mentioning that Sakurai has stated once that he didn't think much of anyone from Namco aside from Pac-Man, at least as far as move-sets are concerned. That might have led to an attempt to work on Heihachi, but we all know how that story ended. I think his mind could have changed by then, especially with one particular detail about KOS-MOS and Lloyd that I think gives both of them fair odds to be considered if Sakurai gave a second look at Namco's list (or if Namco themselves went "pretty please with a cherry on top?").

It's pretty much their move-set potential at this point, more-so for KOS-MOS than Lloyd really. If we get a VGA announcement for one of the mystery fighters, I don't think we'd get either one of the two, unless they coincide with an HD remake or a re-release on the Switch. It also seems kinda unlikely for now, since the Torna expansion ended recently (in relative terms). Then again, Monolith Soft might be full of workaholics and they already have something in the works. Maybe something they can show us, who knows?

Bottom-line is, let's hype responsibly. Expect the worst, and hope for the best from here on out!

View attachment 181880
I think CHOCO took some design cues from KOS-MOS versions 3 and 4 when he/she designed Praxis and Theory. You can pretty much point out all of the similarities each one shares, right down to the blue hair and eyepatches (only visible on KOS-MOS for certain actions from what I've seen).
I mean, CHOCO did also design KOS-MOS and T-elos so it doesn't surprise me.

I'd say tonight the biggest contenders of being announced as DLC fighters however are either: Banjo and Kazooie from the Banjo and Kazooie series and then Sylux from the Metroid Series since I think 99% of us think Metroid Prime will be shown off in some shape or form there.

Though I'm still hoping Sakurai will think otherwise, since he did play Xenoblade 2 so I'm sure he's aware of KOS-MOS and even T-elos and might've started imagine them "dancing" in his head, which is what he said determines a character getting added onto the roster if he can imagine them fighting and what not, though I'm thinking unless the SE DLC leak is fake... which is all hanging on if the Enderdragon from Minecraft is a day 1 patch boss KOS-MOS would be a good fit for a Wave 2, which they've said is a possibility if they're sure they won't make another Bayonetta situation.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I mean, CHOCO did also design KOS-MOS and T-elos so it doesn't surprise me.
Oh, I know who CHOCO is and it's definitely no surprise in that regard, but it's funny that I overlooked some details about the sister Blades. Meanwhile, Finch to my knowledge doesn't emulate any design KOS-MOS or T-elos.

I'd say tonight the biggest contenders of being announced as DLC fighters however are either: Banjo and Kazooie from the Banjo and Kazooie series and then Sylux from the Metroid Series since I think 99% of us think Metroid Prime will be shown off in some shape or form there.
Yeah, I agree. Banjo & Kazooie and/or Sylux seem like safe assumptions for now if the rumor of a Metroid Prime 4 showing happens. Best of luck to you guys too, btw!

Though I'm still hoping Sakurai will think otherwise, since he did play Xenoblade 2 so I'm sure he's aware of KOS-MOS and even T-elos and might've started imagine them "dancing" in his head, which is what he said determines a character getting added onto the roster if he can imagine them fighting and what not, though I'm thinking unless the SE DLC leak is fake... which is all hanging on if the Enderdragon from Minecraft is a day 1 patch boss KOS-MOS would be a good fit for a Wave 2, which they've said is a possibility if they're sure they won't make another Bayonetta situation.
I think it's fair to say they've been dancing since the original trilogy, so their chances go further than Xenoblade 2. I also think that the SE DLC leak is fake as well, but only because it seems like no one knows who the DLC is aside from Nintendo and participating companies themselves. Nothing against Verge or Hitagi or other credible leakers as I am sure they mean well, but they might be getting wrong info this time around. I certainly hope the Fighter's Pass warrants a Wave 2. If I have to wait for KOS-MOS to show up in 2021 or 2022, so be it. That would probably be a good time to know of a Xenosaga Trilogy port/remake at that point.

Last edited:

PrinceGal3n

Smash Journeyman
With the reveal of Joker as the first DLC character and Reggie's quote about the unpredictability of the 5 DLC Challengers, do you guys think Kos-Mos' chances just got a whole lot better?

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Just an update on KOS-MOS as a fighter for dlc. Her chances, IMO are looking much better now than it was before. Joker has just proven that as he got in with a single appearance on Nintendo and it's a Japan only game. With this in mind, KOS-MOS's chances are good. She appeared on various Nintendo crossover games and her main series had 1 and 2 on ds even though Japan only it seems to be enough for her to get in. But, imo it doesn't really matter in the long run as KOS-MOS is popular enough with her Xenoblade 2 cameo.

For the most part.... I have made various arguments for KOS-MOS as a fighter but I think today she's more or less confirmed to be in the plans for dlc. This is just my speculation but...... Reggie explained in an interview with IGN yesterday about Joker that Sakurai wants unique picks and different picks. If we take this quote at face value then Sakurai already knows about KOS-MOS's uniqueness as he played Xenoblade 2 and without a doubt knows that Xenoblade 2 was marketed with KOS-MOS in mind.

Here's the quote from Reggie: “It's emblematic of the approach that Mr. Sakurai and the team are taking with the DLC,” Fils-Aime told IGN. “He wants characters that are unique, different, to bring them into the Smash Bros. environment. So it's going to be tremendously exciting.” “Mr. Sakurai, he's not only a student of Nintendo franchises, and obviously he's had his hand in a few, but he's a student of video games from a total perspective,” Fils-Aime said. “And so he's been the driver in really thinking about what type of character coming into Ultimate"

What we can note: KOS-MOS is unique and she offers a variety of different weapons and would make a very versatile fighter. She's a crossover queen for Namco and Namco's other fighters already fight like characters in the game. Heihachi would not be unique unless they could fully implement tekken juggles in his moveset. I think Sakurai wants to avoid putting Heihachi in the game because he'd fight too much like Ryu (this is my speculation). Lloyd? Oh boy oh boy while Lloyd would offer a unique moveset of two swords.... it would not be on the level of KOS-MOS (maybe i'm biased) but Lloyd would be another sword fighter. Again... this is just putting emphasis on Reggie's quote. He says Sakurai is a student of gaming in general and we don't have a Namco rep. I feel if Sakurai REALLY wanted Lloyd then he would have done it a long time ago with the mii costume transition. I just dont think Heihachi and Lloyd even compare to the uniqueness KOS-MOS would offer.

But... I definitely do believe the odds are in KOS-MOS's favour now especially after this interview. KOS-MOS would really be a Sakurai pick and he couldn't get Rex in. KOS-MOS was already around long before Rex so let's think about it for a minute.

Source: https://ca.ign.com/articles/2018/12...blematic-of-smash-bros-ultimates-dlc-approach

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
With the reveal of Joker as the first DLC character and Reggie's quote about the unpredictability of the 5 DLC Challengers, do you guys think Kos-Mos' chances just got a whole lot better?
Based on Dinah's recent comment? Absolutely. I even humored the idea with them. Though it's important to note the circumstances behind Joker's inclusion in Smash: While it's true that he was unexpected, he comes from a successful Atlus game, so it's fair to assume Nintendo intends to promote an inevitable port of Persona 5. That being said, Takahashi expressed that the next title would not be a Xenoblade game, and that Xenoblade X is too complex to port over to the Switch (so X2 just isn't in the cards atm).

So what does this mean for KOS-MOS? Well, I believe it's entirely possible that a remake of the original trilogy is in the works. Perhaps condensed into one game? Or perhaps the raw trilogy with some retcons here and there, and maybe an incorporation of her current redesign as shown in Xenoblade 2 (sans the core crystal)? It's unknown at this point, but regardless of where Joker sits in the pantheon of platinum games, KOS-MOS is certainly relevant enough to warrant merch all thanks to Namco and Monolith Soft.

Xenoblade 2 being "done" now means Monolith Soft is onto other projects, but it would be odd to top things off with Good Smile's KOS-MOS:Re figure and not do anything else with the character (who is currently an Easter Egg in the latest Takashi game). I think the smartest move that Monolith Soft and Namco can make if they truly want unique fighters in Smash is to prove to the Smash audience that KOS-MOS warrants attention from its userbase, and the best way to do that is to re-release the Xenosaga Trilogy on the Switch. Any reboot/remake would be a separate high-budget project that they can pursue, similar to Final Fantasy VII's re-release then remake announcement.

So in short, Joker's inclusion has factors in his favor that KOS-MOS currently lacks, but on the other hand, the circumstances of his inclusion paves way for characters like KOS-MOS to return to the spotlight should Nintendo want her games to get promoted for the Switch. If we view the situation logically, we can keep a clear mind about this and not sweat the small stuff. On another note, Joker is largely unknown to most of the Smash fanbase. DLC doesn't have to be composed of mainstream picks either, because Mario and Pikachu are big enough characters that most of the casual audience would have gotten Smash Ultimate already for just them alone. A little glass-half-full perspective for anyone who's worried Namco might go for Heihachi just because he's "known" ;]

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Apologies for the double-post since it's been silent since last year, but I have something really neat to show you all that a friend of mine is working on. Any mods viewing this can merge this post with the previous one if possible. My intention is to revive this topic while we wait for more Fighter's Pass news, that rumored Xenosaga trilogy port, and Goodsmile's KOS-MOS Re: figure. So without further ado, I present a WIP of KOS-MOS over ZSS (if none have already seen it):

In order to drum up hype for our Lady, I have spoken to a talented modder in order to incorporate KOS-MOS so that we get a taste of what she could look like in Smash Ultimate. Modding is at its infancy and it's dangerous to load them up at the moment, but I figured the more attention the scene gets as well as KOS-MOS herself, we can at least bring more awareness to her beyond the occasional Xenoblade Chronicles 2 threads on /v/ and speculative DLC discussions that happen there as well. It's not much given how the real deal is always preferable, but it's still something to digest in the mean time. That's the fun behind "What-If's" after all.

After she's done, I'm gonna revisit getting Kasandra back in Ultimate over Ike this time [cough, cough]

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Apologies for the double-post since it's been silent since last year, but I have something really neat to show you all that a friend of mine is working on. Any mods viewing this can merge this post with the previous one if possible. My intention is to revive this topic while we wait for more Fighter's Pass news, that rumored Xenosaga trilogy port, and Goodsmile's KOS-MOS Re: figure. So without further ado, I present a WIP of KOS-MOS over ZSS (if none have already seen it):

In order to drum up hype for our Lady, I have spoken to a talented modder in order to incorporate KOS-MOS so that we get a taste of what she could look like in Smash Ultimate. Modding is at its infancy and it's dangerous to load them up at the moment, but I figured the more attention the scene gets as well as KOS-MOS herself, we can at least bring more awareness to her beyond the occasional Xenoblade Chronicles 2 threads on /v/ and speculative DLC discussions that happen there as well. It's not much given how the real deal is always preferable, but it's still something to digest in the mean time. That's the fun behind "What-If's" after all.

After she's done, I'm gonna revisit getting Kasandra back in Ultimate over Ike this time [cough, cough]
Sweet, that sounds amazing.
I look forward to seeing the results.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989

Honestly that's cool, though sadly I won't use it until I can get my hands on a second switch so I don't risk the one I already got.

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
Jumping in to show my support.

Never played the Xenosaga games tbh, only reason I haven't done so is cause the price for Episode III dissuades me somewhat, so I'm hoping for a rerelease of the trilogy on Switch and/or PS4 or something lol.

That said I love her design a lot, especially her redesign in Xenoblade 2, and if Joker could get in, KOS-MOS has more than enough factors to have business being in one of the greatest crossovers of all time.

Top Bottom