• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KOS-MOS Returning to Battle: DLC Season 2.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
YOOOOOOO

Aside from Elma, I think KOS-MOS might fit this bill also... yes I know it’s a 4chan leak but it’s vague enough to just have a possibility of being legit...
"She's not a demanded character and will disappoint and confuse a lot of people."

Let's assume this is true for the sake of speculation. What exactly constitutes the idea that the character in question will disappoint a large crowd? Is it a repeat of Isabelle's announcement back in the September Direct? Or is this concerning the casual player-base? The ambiguity behind it suggests it's something of the former, but it just comes off as bias overall.

Whoever this "undesired" female is probably has a decent fanbase by now, and would make a lot of supporters very happy. Even if we assume they are unpopular within a large crowd, that's probably because they face competition against other choices from the same company. That's the only way I can justify the disappointment, and KOS-MOS fits that bill perfectly considering how massive and widespread the fanbases are for other Namco reps.

There's also the possibility that the character in question would incite disappointment and confusion for different reasons. Artoria and Reimu are oft misunderstood as anime characters due to ignorance. The last character to induce such fandom rage in the Smash community was Hero, and most of it was on the Western community. The worst case scenario here is that this female candidate is a highly-requested choice in Japan.

Either way you slice it, this seems like a case of Americans Hate Tingle.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
"She's not a demanded character and will disappoint and confuse a lot of people."

Let's assume this is true for the sake of speculation. What exactly constitutes the idea that the character in question will disappoint a large crowd? Is it a repeat of Isabelle's announcement back in the September Direct? Or is this concerning the casual player-base? The ambiguity behind it suggests it's something of the former, but it just comes off as bias overall.

Whoever this "undesired" female is probably has a decent fanbase by now, and would make a lot of supporters very happy. Even if we assume they are unpopular within a large crowd, that's probably because they face competition against other choices from the same company. That's the only way I can justify the disappointment, and KOS-MOS fits that bill perfectly considering how massive and widespread the fanbases are for other Namco reps.

There's also the possibility that the character in question would incite disappointment and confusion for different reasons. Artoria and Reimu are oft misunderstood as anime characters due to ignorance. The last character to induce such fandom rage in the Smash community was Hero, and most of it was on the Western community. The worst case scenario here is that this female candidate is a highly-requested choice in Japan.

There’s also Elma getting in over the more recent Xenoblade character Rex, who was made into a Mii costume. And X is kind of the “black sheep” of Xenoblade so there’d be confusion and disappointment there too

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

I honestly don't care what the western fanbase thinks of "soley popular Japanese picks" because I would be all up for that as it would increase the chances of my boi Goemon and other Japanese exclusive favorite characters like Ayumi Tachibana and Lip.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
There’s also Elma getting in over the more recent Xenoblade character Rex, who was made into a Mii costume. And X is kind of the “black sheep” of Xenoblade so there’d be confusion and disappointment there too
Hypothetically-speaking, yes. Velvet Crowe would also induce fandom rage for those who heavily support Lloyd. There's actually a decent number of possible characters that can piss off a bunch of people in general.

Here's another idea: A KanColle character. Can you imagine? Moral Guardians and the anti-Gacha crowd would be sending death threats to Sakurai. Not to mention there is absolutely no mention of such an idea, and yet it's another one of those characters that I can see getting a huge hate-base.

I honestly don't care what the western fanbase thinks of "soley popular Japanese picks" because I would be all up for that as it would increase the chances of my boi Goemon and other Japanese exclusive favorite characters like Ayumi Tachibana and Lip.
Odds are, we're probably getting a Western pick again, but not quite like Banjo. That is to say, the character is popular in the West while being of Japanese origin, with the other slot going to the character who is most popular in their home country.

I am mildly curious as to what Japan thinks of Marina Liteyears. That's another character I've seen with niche support, but I can't see her happening at all*. At least...just based on Treasure's one-and-done deal with their games and their radio silence as of recent.

* Note = Marina would work perfectly as a Smash character.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I can't believe this is what it takes to finally get people talking about my pipe dream Marina Liteyears. Proud.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Odds are, we're probably getting a Western pick again, but not quite like Banjo. That is to say, the character is popular in the West while being of Japanese origin, with the other slot going to the character who is most popular in their home country.

I am mildly curious as to what Japan thinks of Marina Liteyears. That's another character I've seen with niche support, but I can't see her happening at all*. At least...just based on Treasure's one-and-done deal with their games and their radio silence as of recent.

* Note = Marina would work perfectly as a Smash character.
I'm curious if the Japanese like Marina as well. I know they like Goemon as he is one of Konami's biggest mascots over there and Source Gaming's Japanese Smash poll had him ranked at number 16 which, isn't really impressive, but still isn't a joke for support over there either.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I can't believe this is what it takes to finally get people talking about my pipe dream Marina Liteyears. Proud.
Hey, I support it! We all have our pipe-dreams after all.

I'm curious if the Japanese like Marina as well. I know they like Goemon as he is one of Konami's biggest mascots over there and Source Gaming's Japanese Smash poll had him ranked at number 16 which, isn't really impressive, but still isn't a joke for support over there either.
Let's not sell ourselves short here... Making it onto a poll at all should be a testament to a character's fanbase loyalty. Let's give credit where credit is due.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Let's not sell ourselves short here... Making it onto a poll at all should be a testament to a character's fanbase loyalty. Let's give credit where credit is due.
That is true, but Source Gaming's polls are a giant collective data poll of a bunch of polls. So Goemon is somewhat wanted in Japan.

Last edited:

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Well, if we are going to humour this leak..... may as well since the thread is talking about it.

The person supposedly updated and says: I'm back. I was gonna leave things as messed up as they were... But I simply can't. Your new female rep has a "Mecha". I told you you will be confused. https://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/475685790

Before we all get excited... just remember that this might not be true in the slightest. A mecha does fit KOS-MOS though considering she is one and pilots a mecha with Shion. Her weapons can be considered mechas as well. But deep down I just get the feeling this leak is piggybacking off the Female fighter Japanese leak so i wont get too hopeful. Also, it is not 2B since the leaker says this character isn't well known.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Well, if we are going to humour this leak..... may as well since the thread is talking about it.

The person supposedly updated and says: I'm back. I was gonna leave things as messed up as they were... But I simply can't. Your new female rep has a "Mecha". I told you you will be confused. https://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/475685790

Before we all get excited... just remember that this might not be true in the slightest. A mecha does fit KOS-MOS though considering she is one and pilots a mecha with Shion. Her weapons can be considered mechas as well. But deep down I just get the feeling this leak is piggybacking off the Female fighter Japanese leak so i wont get too hopeful. Also, it is not 2B since the leaker says this character isn't well known.
Where did the leaker say she wasn’t well known?

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion

It's difficult to quantify the "well known" part though without knowing what sort of popularity barometer they're operating by. Are they comparing this character to video game giants like Mario and Pikachu? Or perhaps icons like Mega Man and Simon, who aren't quite popular but not quite niche either?

Where did the leaker say she wasn’t well known?
Probably via context clues like "not a demanded character" that "upsets and confuses a lot of people." Although I'm unsure if Dinah is talking about the 4chan leaker or the "flying weapon" leaker.

Lynn Eslie

Smash Apprentice
So, humoring this for a moment, let us take a look at our available data points.

1. Female: Given we're down to 2 DLC characters left, and -with the exception of Kazooie- all have been male, many are expecting a female, so this seems to me both "easy to guess" and falling under "telling us what we want to hear."

2. Not Demanded: If taken seriously, this would rule out... hardly anyone, and provides far too much wriggle room. I believe the most fervently requested female characters are Dixie Kong, Pyra/Mythra, Ashley, Elma, Shantae, 2B, and Edelgard. Depending on where you get your data from, any of these could easily be thrown under the umbrella of "low demand."

3. Would Disappoint and Confuse a lot of People: I think it safe to say that words like these are meaningless in the speculation community. How many people is "a lot?" In what region? This poses an ambiguous question with entirely too many interpretations. Would it be someone like Velvet Crowe from Tales, who is not the Lloyd Smash fans have convinced themselves is the only option? Would it be someone like Hakurei Reimu of Touhou, which has a long history of excellence and an extremely devoted fanbase that doesn't much interface with Smash demand cycles? Is it something else entirely? We don't know. We can't know. A conclusion cannot be reached.

4. September 12th: Nintendo traditionally has a direct during the 2nd week of September. It is not unlikely they'll be having it on the 12th.

[Possible] 5. Mecha: It's 4chan; this could very well be a completely different person. If it isn't, this would narrow things down to Elma with her Skell, KOS-MOS with her E.S., a female pilot from Mechwarrior, Battletech, Armored Core, or the like. That said, that this is even the same person is up for question, and beyond that, actual leaks rarely play games.

If the 5th is not legitimate, I see this as casting entirely too wide a net to bother with. If the 5th is legitimate, it seems strange they don't just out and say who at that point. Would suggest their source is being catty, which doesn't fit the usual MO.

Last edited:

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Hmmm... The speculation point of Mecha pilot and unexpected/disappointment makes me think of the Overwatch leak. Could The 4'th character be D.Va?
I would hope not.

Last edited:

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
So fighter #4 is a SNK character 100% Nintendo's site leaked it. This means the female fighting flying weapon guy was right. Hayabusa leak is probably 100% false and so is the female mecha leak. It's disappointing to hear but i'm glad this means we might get Mai shiranui now? She has a throwable fan so maybe that's the flying weapon or it could be Nakoruru with her hawk.

Oh well. I hope fighter pass #5 character is Namco or I will be extremely disappointed.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
So fighter #4 is a SNK character 100% Nintendo's site leaked it. This means the female fighting flying weapon guy was right. Hayabusa leak is probably 100% false and so is the female mecha leak. It's disappointing to hear but i'm glad this means we might get Mai shiranui now? She has a throwable fan so maybe that's the flying weapon or it could be Nakoruru with her hawk.

Oh well. I hope fighter pass #5 character is Namco or I will be extremely disappointed.
if it is SNK, it's for sure Mai Shiranui. SamSho literally just regained it's pacing, and Mai is literally one of if not the SNK icon

Lynn Eslie

Smash Apprentice
Soraya Saga retweeted the upcoming Direct.

chrome_2019-09-04_12-41-49.png

Unlikely to be Smash-related, but strongly suggests there will be information regarding Monolith Soft projects in the very least.

EDIT: Update, Takeda has also retweeted the Direct. Effectively solidifying that Monolith Soft Definitely has a showing.

Last edited:

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
I hope you guys liked that Xenoblade definitive edition announcement. Maybe KOS-MOS will be included? Ah, but MORE FIGHTERS COMING AFTER FIGHTER #5. We will never lose hope for our beautiful gynoid in smash. I'm very excited as her chances have only increased now. Also, no sign of a mii fighter for her yet but they added Sans as a mii fighter (and he was requested tons) I have no reason to believe that she won't be in at this point.

REJOICE!

D

Deleted member

Been lurking for awhile here reading about rumors and stuff, made an account so I can interact and chat. Xenosaga is definitely on of my favorite game series and seeing a character from the series would be great.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
If we do get another NamcoBandai character, I'm betting on either KOS-MOS or a Tales character. A Switch port of the Xenosaga Trilogy would undoubtedly increase the former's chances. That said, I've been wanting to play Xenosaga for years--but was never able to, due to never owning a PS2. I'll keep mine fingers crossed for both Xenosaga and Xenogears coming to Switch.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I'm betting on either of them or Katamari, though I'm surprised we didn't get a Symphonia rerelease or We Love Katamari Reroll during the direct.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Copying from the Elma thread, could apply to KOS-MOS as well:
There was a problem fetching the tweet
So, now, it looks like that Milk-bosatu said that the female character would be the last fighter in the fighters pass.
So, Milk-bosatu is still not dead.
Hmm...

It’s possible that Mr. H, Milk’s source, showed him FP5 by accident and Milk believed that was FP4, as Terry is still in development. The original rumor also said FP5 “already appeared”

Female... uses a projectile (including guns)... already appeared...?

Now who does that sound like...? :thinking:
Hmmm...

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Ah, Xenoblade Definitive Edition... bringing in that cut Bionis Shoulder area too I see, also feathers are apart of that title screen, perhaps an "Episode Melia" of sorts to be Xenoblade 1's equivalent to Torna? Now, I just eventually hope Monolith/Nintendo and Namco can come to a deal to remaster Xenosaga sometime in the future, as I'd honestly would like the chance to plays the games and not rely on a laggy, broken sound emulator. Same goes for Gears, but... I have less hope for that due to how Square Enix are and treat Xenogears.

Either way, with the confirmation we're getting more DLC Fighters past Fighter #5, this does give a boost to KOS-MOS' chances, though the same can also be said of other characters as well.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion

Hmmm...
I don't want to seem like a fool ignoring other possibilities out there, though I can't help but feel that Elma and KOS-MOS fit those descriptions a little too well. The best part about this is that we have a confirmed second wave of DLC, so if by some chance she does get announced as the 5th Fighter, whiners will still have the next assortment of DLC to look forward to. Not that I care what her reception will be like anyway, considering the amount of bawling Terry caused (who I am VERY excited for btw).

I'm also hoping we get at least one 1st-party character as a bonus ALA Piranha Plant, like Rex or Pyra. I've beem clamoring for them since the beginning of Ultimate's speculation cycle. XB2 is one of my favorite video games of all time and I grew attached to the characters, so it would be a shame to see them miss out entirely on what might just be the final greatest Smash Bros. ever. With their inclusion and KOS-MOS, Shulk will finally have company. Who knows? Maybe Elma could join the fray? I'd certainly be stoked for 4 Xeno-related characters.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Been lurking for awhile here reading about rumors and stuff, made an account so I can interact and chat. Xenosaga is definitely on of my favorite game series and seeing a character from the series would be great.
Really glad to have you here! E.S. Asher is awesome btw :D

Hmmm...
Well, I went ahead and looked at the recent tweets TeamNepdon/Bosatsu made and he appears to be posting a lot about smash dlc. It feels like damage control BUT there is also the fact that Mr.H said the character he saw was female but didn't have a full model yet. He said it wasn't Reimu and that's all we know. Given that Terry is "now in development" according to yesterday's direct.... it really is possible fighter #5 didn't have a model when MR. H saw it. EITHER WAY, I'm not sure I believe this but yes that description does sound like KOS-MOS or Elma... although I firmly believe no spirits will get characters especially since every dlc has been consistent in adding new franchise spirits and mii costumes. The already appeared bit can mean Namco and that would make so much sense considering we dont have a 2nd rep yet. So the flying weapon just meant projectile and now he is emphasizing on guns... okay could it mean maybe the fighter is more developed now? We'll have to see. I dont believe this but i'll keep an eye out for it in case evidence starts to favour it.

Ah, Xenoblade Definitive Edition... bringing in that cut Bionis Shoulder area too I see, also feathers are apart of that title screen, perhaps an "Episode Melia" of sorts to be Xenoblade 1's equivalent to Torna? Now, I just eventually hope Monolith/Nintendo and Namco can come to a deal to remaster Xenosaga sometime in the future, as I'd honestly would like the chance to plays the games and not rely on a laggy, broken sound emulator. Same goes for Gears, but... I have less hope for that due to how Square Enix are and treat Xenogears.

Either way, with the confirmation we're getting more DLC Fighters past Fighter #5, this does give a boost to KOS-MOS' chances, though the same can also be said of other characters as well.
I'd love an Episode Melia so much. As for Xenosaga HD WELL I still believe it is happening. Everything adds up in favour of Harada greenlighting it pretty much. It does certainly boost KOS-MOS's chances and other characters yeah but I think KOS-MOS will have the edge for Namco now especially since we got another fighting game character in Terry. So I fully believe Heihachi isn't happening and neither is Lloyd IMO.

Okay so since fighter pass #2 (or is it even a pass?) are not finalized yet as far as we know I think now would be the best time to raise awareness about KOS-MOS anywhere we possibly can. I've been doing my part on various forums, I know many people are discussing her on the internet now and even in the smash era discord but if she's not fighter #5 we should probably try to get support moving. What do you guys think?

D

Deleted member

How many people played Xenosaga here though? I don't blame you if you didn't, it was a ps2 exclusive series unreleased in Europe.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
How many people played Xenosaga here though? I don't blame you if you didn't, it was a ps2 exclusive series unreleased in Europe.
Here-here. I've heard of it, I've known about it, but my options were limited back then. Money, parents being strict with whatever content was out there, and my preferences at the time (i.e. I was heavily into platformers). Nowadays, my tastes spread out in several directions, and I'm in the "missed out, and really want to catch up" camp.

I always need to remind friends that I'm not the go-to person for Xenosaga stuff at all. I'm not even the most avid supporter in this group whatsoever; nowhere near. That being said, I think it's OK to support something you're not 100% familiar with anyway. Just keep a level-head and don't contribute to the problems caused by zealots. We have enough of those in several different character support groups as it is.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
I haven't. I only had a Gamecube. And I still don't have a PS2, I can't really afford many other systems besides the ones I currently own.

Lynn Eslie

Smash Apprentice
Lynn here has original Black Labels for all three mainline games, and has 100% completion across all titles... even Episode II.

However, I have not played the JP exclusive Xenosaga: Pied Piper or DS Xenosaga Episodes I&II. Nor have I played Xenoblade Chronicles 2, though I have watched all such cut-scenes and side-stories which include KOS-MOS.

For multimedia, I have of course watched the anime and read the manga.

...That said, it is true that many people haven't had the opportunity to play the games. Fortunately, it seems Bandai-Namco is up for remastering Xenosaga, and as you may have noticed perusing the thread, "Also Sprach Zarathusdra"'s license was renewed last year, so there is hope the accessibility problem will be remedied.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Pied Piper had a full translation online at one point. It's really excellent - broke my heart into tiny pieces.

Last edited:

Natlo

Smash Cadet
I played all the core trilogy when they came out. Didn't 100% any of them though. Started playing them again, though I had to rebuy episode I, as my original copy apparently picked up a nasty scratch.

On the plus side, I spent good money on the series recently, so experience teaches me something (such as a collected trilogy on the switch) will be revealed that will make me feel very silly about that purchase.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
I played all of them starting from Xenogears to 100% completion. If it helps, Xenogears and Xenosaga are my favourite games of all time and KOS-MOS is my favourite video game character! I have also finished Xenoblade 1 and 2 100%.... these games are just my favourite. And like Lynn said, I'm sure a remaster of Xenosaga will happen soon. It is only a matter of time but I can't wait to replay them all over again and get every single trophy! While not many people know the series in the west i'm pretty sure KOS-MOS is recognizable alone because of her iconic X buster and she herself is a icon for Namco.

Whats with this female character leak?
We don't know but it is coming from a "leaker" who keeps changing his story. Personally, i'm not following it but if evidence comes up I will.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Not really. Xenoblade does use concepts and ideas from the Perfect Works though.

Spoilery video ahead

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
The new Sakurai column has confirmed that Nintendo is picking characters again which means more third parties are extremely possible. Also, since Sakurai is not working on any new games and he said he will keep developing dlc Nintendo requests, it is very possible that dlc will keep getting supported. KOS-MOS can likely get in, in fact I am very convinced she will sometime. And i'm sure there's still time to finalize the fighters of the 2nd dlc pass if there is one so any support for KOS-MOS on the internet would be welcome :)

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I'm wondering how far he'll tread into the waters. Terry singlehandedly drew us out of the Endgame, so now it seems like anything goes. I predict a Namco character somewhere down the line within the first two characters beyond Fighter #5, sort of how we got Joker (Sega) at first and Hero (Square-Enix) after.

I'm cautiously optimistic about her chances since the window's there for Namco. The one I'm actually worried about at the moment is Reimu, who has a lot going on for her chances, but just enough against her that it's hard to pin down her chances. Right now, it feels like most of the names we've heard here and there are at 50/50 odds, even our favorite Gynoid.

So let's make like the X in Xenosaga and cross our fingers for her (and everyone else we're vouching for).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm wondering how far he'll tread into the waters. Terry singlehandedly drew us out of the Endgame, so now it seems like anything goes. I predict a Namco character somewhere down the line within the first two characters beyond Fighter #5, sort of how we got Joker (Sega) at first and Hero (Square-Enix) after.

I'm cautiously optimistic about her chances since the window's there for Namco. The one I'm actually worried about at the moment is Reimu, who has a lot going on for her chances, but just enough against her that it's hard to pin down her chances. Right now, it feels like most of the names we've heard here and there are at 50/50 odds, even our favorite Gynoid.

So let's make like the X in Xenosaga and cross our fingers for her (and everyone else we're vouching for).
Reimu? What makes you say that? Who is that? Also heard new rumors or stuff?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Reimu is the main protagonist of the shoot-'em-up game franchise Touhou Project, which is known for its herculean difficulty. You probably haven't heard of that game, and I don't really blame you. I hardly know about Touhou myself.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Here's what you need to know about Reimu to be familiar with her:
- She's the main protagonist of a series of games as old as Windows-98, in particular Shoot-'em'ups like Goliso stated

- She's the godmother of Indie games and a major Icon in Japan. She also gets official games (most recent one is Wily Beast and Weakest Creature), loads of fan content, and has an event dedicated to her series that is hosted in Japan twice a year

- She's is stupid-popular with crossover content when it comes to fanart, so hypothetically speaking, there would be loads of Smash content involving her easily. Even her series' music incredibly noteworthy

- She pretty much reps the bullet hell genre, which is yet to have representation in Smash. If you need to know any more about her, let's just say that the Touhou Project series is partially the inspiration for Toby Fox and Undertale, but I'm going to stop shilling her right here and I politely request that you compare the music style of Undyne's boss theme and Satori's theme, just to get a sense of where the influence draws in.

In fact, just get out there and start looking up stuff on youtube to acquaint yourself. There's several reasons why she's my second Most-Wanted.

Last edited:

Natlo

Smash Cadet
The thing that is most worrisome to me at this point is that the DLC 2.0 characters hypothetically don't have the same restrictions as the first batch RE: when their games came out compared to development. That would, in the eyes of many people, mean Rex and Pyra could be selected at this point. While I believe this thread suggests KOS-MOS as a Namco rep as opposed to a Xeno Rep, generally speaking she's both. ((I usually see her as a Monolith Soft Rep, but that's splitting hairs.)) They may not choose to add her any time soon after adding them, or Vice Versa.

Obviously still support KOS-MOS ((She's my top pick, and I'm a huge Fate/Stay Night fan)), but that is something that may become a new hurdle for her.

Last edited:
Top Bottom