• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KOS-MOS Returning to Battle: DLC Season 2.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Ooooooh

And yeah, I doubt it would be Alisa Bosconovitch for two reasons:
1. Either Jin or Heihachi would be considered the poster boys for Tekken. And Heihachi would be problematic since his VO passed away
2. Sakurai once said translating a Tekken character’s movement style to Smash would be difficult

I can’t think of any other purely fighting game female character aside from Chun-li (Namco deserves a second character before Capcom gets their fourth imo), Mai Shiranui (with that design? Not in a E10+ rated game that’s for sure), or some female character from Dead or Alive (super doubtful). He only said “like from a fighting game” too.

This could be interesting...

Also

>Mr. H

Harada? He’s been involved with Xenosaga
Wow, I didn't think about Mr H being Harada! This could be a major find. Since he was talking about fighting games.... He's a fighting game dev after all but recently was promoted to manage all Namco series which includes Xenosaga too. Maybe it is Harada?

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
Could be either Chun-li or KOS-MOS, but it may also be either Sophitia from Soulcalibur or Athena Asamiya from SNK since she was their very first mascot before Kyo.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
There could be the possibility KOS-MOS is that female especially if we are talking Namco. When I think "like" a fighting game character I think of lots of moves and similarities. KOS-MOS is similar to Alisa Bosconovitch in Tekken for example. It's all speculation but I believe this rumour is pretty credible. Also, KOS-MOS appeared in Soulcalibur III as a CAS... not necessarily a fighter but it's something.
Assuming the translations are rough, it's vague enough for several candidates to fall into that criteria. If we're being literal about fighting female characters, then the only ones off the top of my head are Chun-Li, who's a Spirit already, Morrigan, whose succubus theme might cause some ESRB employees to spontaneously twitch and spasm, and the recently-mentioned Mai Shiranui...who's somehow an even worse case than Morrigan, lmao.

There's also Noel Vermillion from Blazblue if no one is sick of guns yet (I wouldn't mind personally. A Blazblue rep would be rad as hell, even if I prefer Ragna to be the rep), and there's Nakoruru from Samsho, who I could have sworn was mentioned in a leak once. In regards to Reimu, her appearance in Scarlet Weather Rhapsody is nothing more than a fan project, so to call her a "fighting game character" is equivalent to calling Sonic a racing game character.

But if it turns out it's not quite as literal, I need a moment to say that I am hopeful that we get at least one playable female character, and given who's talked about a lot in speculations and wish-lists, I think KOS-MOS fairs pretty darn well. She does have competition though, namely in the form of Saber and Reimu. Jill ain't too big an issue. I'd say her case is 50/50 given Resident Evil's prevalence in video game excellence, and not that many people are completely against the idea of Capcom getting the lion's share of guest appearances. They are popular for good reason, after all.

Anywho, speculation begins anew, so let's just hope the fourth and fifth characters aren't bummers relative to predecessors, which seems to be a trend when it comes to Smash cycle announcements. Ken and Incineroar are fine for instance, but Simon, Richter, and K.Rool were leagues better announcement-wise.

This could be interesting...

Also

>Mr. H

Harada? He’s been involved with Xenosaga
Ronin_Crushed_Hopes.jpg

Could be either Chun-li or KOS-MOS, but it may also be either Sophitia from Soulcalibur or Athena Asamiya from SNK since she was their very first mascot before Kyo.
I still subscribe to the idea that Spirits deconfirm characters, and the only one of those Namco girls who fits the literal definition of a fighting game female character is Sophitia herself, though an SNK rep in the form of Athena isn't too farfetched either.

Personally though, I think Nakoruru is a better fit than Athena, and even then there's Reimu whose similar design aesthetic makes her a potential candidate. She's got the backing, history, and support necessary to place her in Banjo's league at least.

Oh, and just to address the elephant in the thread here, yes, I understand that the term "fighting" doesn't need to refer to the video game genre. I was just putting out a minor warning. See Ronin up there? I'm cautiously-optimistic about this speculation cycle AT BEST. The fact we're at 2 characters left and only 2 ever for what may be the last dream-match Smash game is already enough of a downer, so I'll need to brace for whatever possible disappointment lies ahead. Here's to hoping we're satisfied after this crazy ride.

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
I understand what you`re saying and yes it`s best to keep our hopes at a minimum. I`m still expecting a new female fiighter to join the roster though.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hmm, that guy didn’t tweet this morning... still think the “flying weapon” can include missiles and Gatling guns

Also be sure to vote for KOS-MOS here!

(Edit) he did make a tweet just now:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

He didn’t say female this time though...

Last edited:

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Hmm, that guy didn’t tweet this morning... still think the “flying weapon” can include missiles and Gatling guns

Also be sure to vote for KOS-MOS here!

(Edit) he did make a tweet just now:

He didn’t say female this time though...
I'm pretty certain that he is saying that he can't guess the flying weapon and was just showing pictures in his previous tweet about what he PERSONALLY thinks it is. Female is still on the table. Things wouldn't just change in a day lol.

Last edited:

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I'm just gonna say it, no matter how many times this person has gotten info right in the past, changing their story this frequently doesn't really paint a good picture for their credibility.

No leaker really makes this many changes to their story this frequently and so soon, and while it could just be their friend/source hasn't or just doesn't want to tell them the character name and just have them guess from a description of what they look like and what they can do, most leakers actually have the character names already unless the company goes really leak-bait overdrive like Square Enix did.

I'd say wait until some other credible leakers start coming out with similar statements before 100% believing this person.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
If you rearrange the word twitter "user", you'd get "ruse", because this is where I feel this thing is one big troll. Too many red flags tbh.

In regards to the "flying weapons" description, I wouldn't pin KOS-MOS as the sort to have those. If anything, the most definitive traits to her character weapons-wise are G-SHOT and D-TENERITAS. Those are her most iconic elements, and I don't think shooty-shooty bullets and chest orbs are "flying weapons".

What I'm saying is, this "leaker's" too all-over-the-place to properly decipher anything and I think they're full of ****.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
I was browsing GameFaqs just now and I found a really good moveset concept for KOS-MOS. Here’s the link if you want to check it out:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77794890
Yeah, I asked that guy to join here so I hope he will support. He carefully goes into every detail of KOS-MOS's moves very properly. It's even better than mine. I really love the way he implemented some other moves that nobody else cites in KOS-MOS movesets such as the potential that she can use the other Xenosaga character's moves such as storm Waltz from JR and Floral tempest from Momo.

As for my stance on the "leaker" someone on resetera told me that the leaker previously said he had a friend at Namco Bandai but now a year later it's a Nintendo person. I'm remaining extremely skeptical now as I dont want to disappoint myself.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Found this in the Elma thread:

We have a new tweet. I also asked a friend of mine who speaks a bit of Japanese about it, and she said that the "flying weapon" in this case refers to some kind of firearm, with the "flying" part being a reference to the shots. I want to be cautious, but this does sound somewhat promising. . .
It’s probably not a boomerang like initially thought. We don’t know the character’s hair color still, but this helps rule it down to four potential candidates: Elma, Jill Valentine, Lara Croft, and of course KOS-MOS.

Assuming you believe it of course

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
there once was a time where I thought Lloyd would be the best Namco rep and most likely

now it's a toss up between him and KOS-MOS for me, because of Monolith's adoration for the character, and Harada's knowledge of the fan interest in Xenosaga.

I do think KOS-MOS would be a great way to round out the season pass, seeing as we have yet to have most of what she uses as weaponry in smash

plus we still have the unresolved matter of that mecha toy sakurai bought...

EDIT: finally listening to Xenosaga music again, so much of this is good enough for smash

as for "flying weapon" I'm sure KOS-MOS's ammo would fit still

Last edited:

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Found this in the Elma thread:

It’s probably not a boomerang like initially thought. We don’t know the character’s hair color still, but this helps rule it down to four potential candidates: Elma, Jill Valentine, Lara Croft, and of course KOS-MOS.

Assuming you believe it of course
He says that all his information is from Mr.H and he's not even sure himself about the leaks he's posting too. I think that makes it more likely he's not trolling I guess but I'm still skeptical. We'll see.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
It's fair enough to be skeptical, we only have so much info to go off of after all

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Hey XenoGang! It's been awhile since I visited. How do people feel about Mii Costume theory pointing to potential fighters? I feel KOS-MOS still has a pretty dang good chance and she fits the mold of this fighters pass this far. Also if they want representation new to Smash, I think fighting is represented nicely (sorry Mishima!). However, RPGs are starting to get filled out. However, space JRPG could still use a little push.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Hey XenoGang! It's been awhile since I visited. How do people feel about Mii Costume theory pointing to potential fighters? I feel KOS-MOS still has a pretty dang good chance and she fits the mold of this fighters pass this far. Also if they want representation new to Smash, I think fighting is represented nicely (sorry Mishima!). However, RPGs are starting to get filled out. However, space JRPG could still use a little push.
I don't personally buy mii costume theory. They didn't bring back Akira or Jacky, and Akira is an assist trophy now, so it doesn't make any sense not to bring it back

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I don't personally buy mii costume theory. They didn't bring back Akira or Jacky, and Akira is an assist trophy now, so it doesn't make any sense not to bring it back
Lloyd's costume may go missing too, as well as the Capcom ones from 4, and it may or may not mean anything, like how Isaac's AT absence in 4 ultimately resulted in nothing concerning Isaac

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Lloyd's costume may go missing too, as well as the Capcom ones from 4, and it may or may not mean anything, like how Isaac's AT absence in 4 ultimately resulted in nothing concerning Isaac
I agree with y'all. Just wanted to bring a point up that hasn't had a solid backing yet. We will probably know once The Hero drops and we see what Mii Costumes come back if any old ones do from Square.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
I agree with y'all. Just wanted to bring a point up that hasn't had a solid backing yet. We will probably know once The Hero drops and we see what Mii Costumes come back if any old ones do from Square.
considering only two square costumes were added they probably will both come back

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
considering only two square costumes were added they probably will both come back
I think we might see Crono and/or Sephiroth as either costumes or spirits if the 7 Square characters list is anything to go by.

Luminary is Hero’s default appearance, Erdrick is an alt, Slime is a stage element, Geno will probably be a costume again (and is a Spirit), and Sora... unpopular opinion but negotiating with Disney is not on the same level of negotiating with Microsoft for Banjo.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I think we might see Crono and/or Sephiroth as either costumes or spirits if the 7 Square characters list is anything to go by.

Luminary is Hero’s default appearance, Erdrick is an alt, Slime is a stage element, Geno will probably be a costume again (and is a Spirit), and Sora... unpopular opinion but negotiating with Disney is not on the same level of negotiating with Microsoft for Banjo.
Yeah, this is the fear. If the Square 7 list gets turned into Mii Costumes...Oh boy. Backlash would not be the word for the chaos (not that chaos though) that would ensue.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yeah, this is the fear. If the Square 7 list gets turned into Mii Costumes...Oh boy. Backlash would not be the word for the chaos (not that chaos though) that would ensue.
i see what you did there

Tbf Crono/Sephiroth/Sora may also just have been fakeout names and not appear at all, but eh

AugustusB

Smash Champion
i see what you did there

Tbf Crono/Sephiroth/Sora may also just have been fakeout names and not appear at all, but eh
We are in the wild now. It will be interesting whatever happens.
Also how have you been Rie!? Its been ages since I have chatted with anyone during Base game days.

~?~

The Strangest Link Main
I prefer Telos over Kos Mos TBH.
Could always put Momo in there lol. She's a robot too. Maybe Kaos?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I prefer Telos over Kos Mos TBH.
Could always put Momo in there lol. She's a robot too. Maybe Kaos?
To be fair MOMO is a Realian, which are basically like cloned humans

KOS-MOS is the poster girl for the series, though I am an advocate for T-elos as a possible echo

AugustusB

Smash Champion
To be fair MOMO is a Realian, which are basically like cloned humans

KOS-MOS is the poster girl for the series, though I am an advocate for T-elos as a possible echo
They could also give them The Hero treatment and have T-elos be a skin/alt for KOS-MOS. Just give that model a different voice over. BAM. Profit.

MattX20

Smash Hero
After the DQ heroes confirmation for Ultimate, I'm not so sure about Lloyd's chances. However, KOS-MOS could certainly work as a playable character and avoid the whole "anime swordsman" thing fans tend to deride greatly these days thanks to Fire Emblem oversaturation. T-elos could certainly work as an alternate character costume too, and neither character wears anything overly revealing so it would work within the E-10 ratings.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
I know I'm a little late to the party here, but the stars seem to be aligning for KOS-MOS. Add me to the support list, please!

Blackthorne

Smash Cadet
Jeez, I haven't been here in a while

Flying weapon? I mean, I don't really see what that could be, unless it's something like Gilgamesh's Gate of Babylon, where he uses swords as projectiles. There's also the potential fact that he could be talking about a floating weapon instead, which could refer to something like Elma's swords when they're sheathed, which makes me a bit worried for KOS-MOS when there's a chance Xenoblade Chronicles X2 might be around the corner. Still, I have hope that KOS-MOS can pull through!

On the topic of KOS-MOS, I had a dream that she made it into Smash last night. That was nice.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Jeez, I haven't been here in a while

Flying weapon? I mean, I don't really see what that could be, unless it's something like Gilgamesh's Gate of Babylon, where he uses swords as projectiles. There's also the potential fact that he could be talking about a floating weapon instead, which could refer to something like Elma's swords when they're sheathed, which makes me a bit worried for KOS-MOS when there's a chance Xenoblade Chronicles X2 might be around the corner. Still, I have hope that KOS-MOS can pull through!

On the topic of KOS-MOS, I had a dream that she made it into Smash last night. That was nice.
At this point, Elma would be nice since Xeno-anything has gotten the short end of the stick as far as content goes. Such wasted potential so far...

On the topic of dreams on the other hand, I find that rather amusing. Depending on your track record, you might be looking into one of 14,000,605 possible outcomes of the coming conflict DLC.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
At this point, Elma would be nice since Xeno-anything has gotten the short end of the stick as far as content goes. Such wasted potential so far...

On the topic of dreams on the other hand, I find that rather amusing. Depending on your track record, you might be looking into one of 14,000,605 possible outcomes of the coming conflict DLC.
Why not both KOS-MOS and Elma? :awesome:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Why not both KOS-MOS and Elma? :awesome:
And I paraphrase:
"Xeno-anything for playable characters would be nice since we lack a respectable amount of content from the games."
Watch me curse us getting Tatsu or something as a surprise 1st-party character, Spirit or not. I'd be public enemy #1 on this thread, lmfao.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
GUESS WHO GOT KOS-MOS IN XENOBLADE 2 YESTERDAY.

after going into NG+ and USING CLOSE TO 150 LEGENDARY CORES. idk I lost count

Really tho anyone else feel like KOS-MOS’s reigning status as Namco’s Crossover Queen is slowly setting the stage for her Smash debut???

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
GUESS WHO GOT KOS-MOS IN XENOBLADE 2 YESTERDAY.

after going into NG+ and USING CLOSE TO 150 LEGENDARY CORES. idk I lost count

Really tho anyone else feel like KOS-MOS’s reigning status as Namco’s Crossover Queen is slowly setting the stage for her Smash debut???
I certainly hope that she makes it into Smash if Elma and Rex can't. Namco definitely deserves a second rep at this point regardless of who it is, though.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Given that Heihachi was pretty much relegated to being part of PacMan's taunt, and Lloyd may possibly be viewed as redundant in regards to the remaining DLC with DQ taking center stage, the only major Namco character left they could potentially use (and it depends if Monolithsoft asked Sakurai about this during the DLC process) is KOS-MOS. Poor Klonoa gets the short end of the stick though

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Given that Heihachi was pretty much relegated to being part of PacMan's taunt, and Lloyd may possibly be viewed as redundant in regards to the remaining DLC with DQ taking center stage, the only major Namco character left they could potentially use (and it depends if Monolithsoft asked Sakurai about this during the DLC process) is KOS-MOS. Poor Klonoa gets the short end of the stick though
You're forgetting Nightmare of the Soul Calibur series. Kos-mos's competition is large and varied

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
You're forgetting Nightmare of the Soul Calibur series. Kos-mos's competition is large and varied
I also forgot Agumon, but I'm not sure a villain like Nightmare would be prioritized. That, and even though Nightmare isn't the "anime swordsman" type that Smash fans have made clear are tired of, he would probably not be their first SC choice.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I also forgot Agumon, but I'm not sure a villain like Nightmare would be prioritized. That, and even though Nightmare isn't the "anime swordsman" type that Smash fans have made clear are tired of, he would probably not be their first SC choice.
Wasn't the entire reason Sakurai picked piranha plant was because it wasn't a hero?

MattX20

Smash Hero
Wasn't the entire reason Sakurai picked piranha plant was because it wasn't a hero?
It had more to do with how the moveset was original than anything else and allowed them to be more creative/the standard what the pick.

Top Bottom