• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KOS-MOS Returning to Battle: DLC Season 2.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
That’s a funny way to keep a secret.
Unless Verge outright says she's the fifth fighter, all this recent news suggests is that he's unsure if she's out of the competition, not necessarily a telling of her being the holder of the fifth invite. We need him to give us the GO, so for now, the most we can hope for (besides actually getting her) is hearing that she is THE fifth fighter, rather than just a "maybe, I don't know."

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Unless Verge outright says she's the fifth fighter, all this recent news suggests is that he's unsure if she's out of the competition, not necessarily a telling of her being the holder of the fifth invite. We need him to give us the GO, so for now, the most we can hope for (besides actually getting her) is hearing that she is THE fifth fighter, rather than just a "maybe, I don't know."
I mean didn’t he say he would look into it with his source? Posting again the same thing is really not helping him.

D

Deleted member

To better reiterate his statement:

Then there is the odd thing with KOS-MOS to keep in mind since me getting a "not sure" response about her is weird since I was told it was not a Bandai Namco character.
I'm currently pressing for more information since the only thing that could explain that is if her rights issues muddies that up or more particularly if it is her, if it uses the KOS-MOS Re: design from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 it would mean that specific design is like how Nintendo owns Bayonetta's design from Bayonetta 2, not Sega, despite Sega owning the Bayonetta character.
Which could mean that Monolith Soft and Nintendo own the KOS-MOS Re: design.

It was discussed on here yesterday that according to the credits (circa 2017), Namco is heavily credited as "blade design support." While its not specific which characters they designed, its most likely Namco was responsible for her redesign.
https://nintendo.fandom.com/wiki/Xenoblade_Chronicles_2/credits

Also the footnotes on the Nintendo websites XB2 page does not mention Namco at all for copyrights. So maybe Nintendo does own her redesign, they just credited Namco in creating her. If Namco owned her, usually they would say "character design copyright of Namco" which seems to be missing both from the credits and the website.
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/xenoblade-chronicles-2-switch/

KOS-MOS is owned by Namco. She's copyrighted to Namco in her official Art for Xenoblade 2
https://i.imgur.com/duaRNu1.png
But what may be the case is Nintendo may own the actual design, much like Nintendo owns Bayonetta's Bayonetta 2 design.
That would be the only way to explain what's going on with her status with getting a "not sure" answer while other Bandai Namco characters were thrown out already. At least until I do get a clearer answer about her.

So you're telling us that should KOS-MOS be in, she would use the Xeno2 design to which the "other worlds" chungus doesn't apply to.

ZevBenjamin

Smash Apprentice
And also, if he has the gall to deconfirm every other bandai namco character save KOS-MOS....
...It's essentially confirming without saying "she's it".
Also, if the source has "A NAME", i don't see how the company matters. If the source heard Viewtiful Joe as FP5, KOS-MOS should've been axed.
So now my question is what exactly does this source know, if anything at all?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

And also, if he has the gall to deconfirm every other bandai namco character save KOS-MOS.
It's essentially confirming without saying "she's it".
Also, if the source has "A NAME", i don't see how the company matters. If the source heard Viewtiful Joe as FP5, KOS-MOS should've been axed.
So now my question is what exactly does this source know, if anything at all?
I dunno, maybe the sources are too busy playing Xenosaga in their basement XD. Brings me back during the Mallowdemon leaks when Verge was too busy sitting on his ass on DQXIS, rather than give out info like he does.

So probably if:
  • Tekken rep
  • SoulCalibur rep
  • Tales rep
  • Klonoa
  • umm...what else owned by Bamco other than KOS-MOS
...are all that, and all we get from KOS-MOS is a not sure, then honestly they should've came forward the final say.

Ugh...this is so confusing help me

Last edited by a moderator:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
But we also need to consider that he hasn't pressed for other characters at the moment, because he's running out of characters to run by until his source confirms something. The fact his source doesn't just up and tell him that KOS-MOS is the character suggests one of three things:

-The source doesn't know who the fifth fighter is, but also doesn't know if KOS-MOS should be excluded from the list of possible candidates

-The source knows its her, but is being deliberately wishy-washy with the information to prevent Verge from confirming anything outright

-Verge knows who the character is, but the matter on KOS-MOS is moreso that her trademark status is dubious to him, leading to one of these:

-It IS KOS-MOS, but he wants clarification first on her trademark status before confirming anything.

-It's someone else, but he wants clarification of where to place KOS-MOS under before adding her to the list.

I'm no Ace Attorney, but evidence is always needed to expose the truth.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
]

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH XD

Still sad about Dante ;(
Dante is a Season 2 lock imo, i wouldn't bother about FP5 for him.
plus Itsuno saying he needs the DMC series itself on Nintendo platforms first beforetalking about Smash kinda said he's not in the first pass lol

Natlo

Smash Cadet
Unfortunately, we're starting to hit the big issue with this method of twenty questions leak sourcing. If the source was willing to confirm a specific character, and they know who it is, then there is no reason to beat around the bush. Thus, one of those two is false. They either don't know who it is, or they aren't willing to put that specific information out there. Hence the deconfirms. It's vague enough that if the source knows who it is, then they aren't sticking thier neck out too far telling us it isn't character x.

This breaks apart once they out and out guess the correct character, assuming the source knows. Now they have themselves a problem. Either they say yes, and put thier neck out, say no, damaging both thier credibility and the credibility of thier leaker, or they play coy "hmm... not sure". The best choice is to "hmm not sure" a number of characters, which may be what is happening here, it isn't KOS-MOS, but but they are being vague on her to cloud things up.

Or they just don't know. The anonymity of the source means we don't know how they know what they know. There are a number of possible reasons they can theoretically deconfirm multiple companies and characters, but not KOS-MOS.

I'd probably just be more comfortable if the source just gave all the info they're comfortable giving out the gate, rather than 20 questions.

This has been my disorganized rant of the night. Probably. No promises there won't be more.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Okay so the trip guy is back and posted this

100E2DC8-02BE-450D-90B4-84615FEFB0B5.png

I’m at work watching this ****show that’s why I’m sending on mobile. So if this guy is legit he’s a higher up in the industry.

Last edited:

ZevBenjamin

Smash Apprentice
Highkey im still expecting KOS-MOS, Geoff didnt do anything different than do his NDA duties.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Either they say yes, and put thier neck out, say no, damaging both thier credibility and the credibility of thier leaker, or they play coy "hmm... not sure". The best choice is to "hmm not sure" a number of characters, which may be what is happening here, it isn't KOS-MOS, but but they are being vague on her to cloud things up.

Or they just don't know. The anonymity of the source means we don't know how they know what they know.
Yeah, this whole thing is bizarre. Best case scenario is that the source themselves are completely in the unknown, so the whole "knowing what it ISN'T, but not who it IS" is in effect, and all it does is rely on process of elimination to get into a minuscule list of candidates. It's one big mess.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So the verge stuff is interesting. it sounds like its really leaning towards KOSMOS, maybe her XB2 design which is a great design. It does fill both a namco and a Xenoblade/saga/Monolith/series slot too.

As for this trip guy. Is he saying KOSMOS or Reimu there?

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
So the verge stuff is interesting. it sounds like its really leaning towards KOSMOS, maybe her XB2 design which is a great design. It does fill both a namco and a Xenoblade/saga/Monolith/series slot too.

As for this trip guy. Is he saying KOSMOS or Reimu there?
He’s the middle post. Disregard the rest xD that’s just how 4chan works.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Well today has been... interesting to say the least.

Now back to figuring out how a Discord server works...

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
This is seriously one of the most fascinating discussion periods in Smash history. At this point, KOS-MOS has to be a lock. There's just too much going for her, as many of you have pointed out. I think it's just a matter of when. If she's Fighter 5, I'd be ecstatic. If she's not, not only is she a shoo-in for future DLC, but bravo to Nintendo for keeping everyone in the dark on this one. Either way we're going to be surprised on Thursday and I'm beyond excited.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
I’m just really praying that the trip guy is the hero to save us from this insanity tbh. I’m just getting such a headache with verge and Sabi.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
My brain, I can't process all this... and I'm the guy who can tell you everything about Kingdom Heart's plot without needing a video or something to help explain it.

So basically, from what I understand KOS-MOS is in a I HAVE NO IDEA! situation?

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
My brain, I can't process all this... and I'm the guy who can tell you everything about Kingdom Heart's plot without needing a video or something to help explain it.

At Best: "Maybe she'll happen? I don't know."
At Worst: "Sorry guys, but she's out too."
By Miracle: [Announced playable with no relation to the above]

D

Deleted member

Is Giygas in the thread because I can't grasp the truth of this situation. I do agree with Karnera that the Verge/KOSMOS thing is probably just us not understanding how his source works.

Otherwise, here's to hoping Verge just straight up confirms her.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
At Best: "Maybe she'll happen? I don't know."
At Worst: "Sorry guys, but she's out too."
By Miracle: [Announced playable with no relation to the above]
Understandable, have a nice day.

Anyways, about just a couple more days till the game awards, we'll have our answer there if anything.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Trust me, I want to believe he's just bull****ting because there are legit leaks out there.

I'm just concerned about her chances with all this back and forth nonsense between multiple sources.
It becomes funny when those fan rules fall apart when a character they were complaining about gets in. Time and time again I see people whine about a character, it either gets broken or they have double standards.

Won't stop me from gushing over who I want, KOS-MOS included.
I always feel this is the case for most people. People take it personally when it’s a general subject.

If the Rex costume is only accessible in a 25$ fighter’s pass, what fighter will they put in when Kosmos is not an option?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I’m just really praying that the trip guy is the hero to save us from this insanity tbh. I’m just getting such a headache with verge and Sabi.
You're lucky I'm one of the people who doesn't trust them wholeheartedly. They can just spout nonsense for all I care.

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237
I don't think i've seen this mentioned here yet, but I feel like this is pretty relevant to the thread (greetings from SmashEra, ES. Dinah ES. Dinah ). On his Twitter livestream earlier today, Geoff confirmed that Kingdom Hearts III Re:Mind won't be shown at The Game Awards (timestamp is 3:22):

Doesn't this debunk that one 4chan TGA leak featuring KOS-MOS, since it mentioned that Re:Mind would be shown there? Obviously she still stands a chance regardless of that leak being debunked, but i'm still seeing that leak discussed and i'm just curious if you've all heard about this already.

D

Deleted member

Doesn't this debunk that one 4chan TGA leak featuring KOS-MOS, since it mentioned that Re:Mind would be shown there? Obviously she still stands a chance regardless of that leak being debunked, but i'm still seeing that leak discussed and i'm just curious if you've all heard about this already.
Debunk Kingdom Hearts Re:Mind and it's still standing. Debunk Clock Tower or SMT V and it's all over.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I don't think i've seen this mentioned here yet, but I feel like this is pretty relevant to the thread (greetings from SmashEra, ES. Dinah ES. Dinah ). On his Twitter livestream earlier today, Geoff confirmed that Kingdom Hearts III Re:Mind won't be shown at The Game Awards (timestamp is 3:22):

something probably screwed up their kingdom hearts plans.

Last edited:

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
That alleged 4chan leak is honestly a non-factor to me. What I'm thinking about is how people are straight-up terrified to deconfirm KOS-MOS and it's likely less because "we're unsure of who owns her" and more because she simply makes too much sense as the fighter in question. I'll quote my first post in this topic:

Regardless of people's opinions on Xenosaga, KOS-MOS would carry so much symbolism as the final Fighters Pass fighter. Not only is she the Namco crossover queen, and not only is her current (and best) iteration a Nintendo/Namco partnership, but Monolith Soft's own postergirl becoming playable would help heal the deep cut left on their souls by the Rex Mii costume.
Literally the only argument being made against her right now is that she isn't a perfect fit for the traditional TGA audience, as if this somehow was:

D

Deleted member

Literally the only argument being made against her right now is that she isn't a perfect fit for the traditional TGA audience, as if this somehow was:
TGA audience this, TGA audience that. If Nintendo wants to reveal this kind of character at the event, honestly they should just let them be. Hell, nobody would've expected Joker back then anyway, and should that be leaked, it could incite quite similar discussion like the one we're having now. The problem is that since it's a major event, it has to be someone they believe carries they hype that's in their definition. But revealing this kind of character can STILL be exciting.

The problem is that they kind of expect a bit too much.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
TGA audience this, TGA audience that. If Nintendo wants to reveal this kind of character at the event, honestly they should just let them be. Hell, nobody would've expected Joker back then anyway, and should that be leaked, it could incite quite similar discussion like the one we're having now. The problem is that since it's a major event, it has to be someone they believe carries they hype that's in their definition. But revealing this kind of character can STILL be exciting.

The problem is that they kind of expect a bit too much.
People can say all they want about Persona, I found Joker as a reveal for VGA as kind of niche to be honest. Not that it is a bad thing, but honestly not that big of a reveal for a event like that. If Joker can be revealed at the VGA than so can KOS-MOS.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

People can say all they want about Persona, I found Joker as a reveal for VGA as kind of niche to be honest. Not that it is a bad thing, but honestly not that big of a reveal for a event like that.
EXACTLY!

Okay, you heard it first! It doesn't matter if this character is super well-known, but still we move forward!

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
>Persona 5 was nominated for RPG of the Year at the TGAs
>"it's too niche for TGA" :ohwell:

Anything relating to new Smash will be received well and get tons of coverage for Geoff's dog and pony show, they're not going to exclude it because "IT'S TOO WEEBY" or some nonsense like that. Even if it's a character from a game that was basically snubbed hard, the coverage is worth it. If it's a character with TGA prestige, they can play it up. If it's not, they point to anything from the devs with TGA prestige (hello XBX). If they have nothing, they'll just play up Smash's prestige instead.

Natlo

Smash Cadet
So a thought on the stage. Would a transforming stage based on the encephalon drive be too out there?

I mean the game has in built technobabble that allows for one to visit any number of places, why not use it?

D

Deleted member

So a thought on the stage. Would a transforming stage based on the encephalon drive be too out there?

I mean the game has in built technobabble that allows for one to visit any number of places, why not use it?
Could be something like...Yggdrasil's Altar in that it's all on a platform stage, yet travels to different locations.

Top Bottom