• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KOS-MOS Returning to Battle: DLC Season 2.

D

Deleted member

The only implication is that Sakurai couldn’t get Rex playable due to timing but recognized his demand so leveraged the character as incentive to pick up the pass.

Anything past that and you’re reading into it too much
Hmmm...if he knew the demand, my hunch is telling me that Rex will be a post-Pass character.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
“The only implication is that Sakurai couldn’t get Rex playable due to timing but recognized his demand so leveraged the character as incentive to pick up the pass.”
You literally said this then go on to say:

Anything past that and you’re reading into it too much.”
The intelligence is surprisingly conflicted. If Rex is supposed to be that kind of bait, why don’t they add a character like Kosmos at the end of the tunnel? That will be ridiculously influential that’ll be stupid legitimately stupid for them to miss the opportunity.

D

Deleted member

“The only implication is that Sakurai couldn’t get Rex playable due to timing but recognized his demand so leveraged the character as incentive to pick up the pass.”
You literally said this then go on to say:

Anything past that and you’re reading into it too much.”
The intelligence is surprisingly conflicted. If Rex is supposed to be that kind of bait, why don’t they add a character like Kosmos at the end of the tunnel? That will be ridiculously influential that’ll be stupid legitimately stupid for them to miss the opportunity.
We started with a Xeno Mii Costume and we end with a Xeno character. Sounds like a coincidence if you ask me.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
We started with a Xeno Mii Costume and we end with a Xeno character. Sounds like a coincidence if you ask me.
It’s a coincidence that Joker is in the pass because his series is an rpg series. With Kosmos, there is a much stronger narrative behind her inclusion than many other candidates.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It’s a coincidence that Joker is in the pass because his series is an rpg series. With Kosmos, there is a much stronger narrative behind her inclusion than many other candidates.
I sure hope you're right...

Hero's a JRPG character too, but he gets a pass cause he's from Dragon Quest, a heavily iconic JRPG series that would have made it into smash sooner or later

D

Deleted member

I sure hope you're right...

Hero's a JRPG character too, but he gets a pass cause he's from Dragon Quest, a heavily iconic JRPG series that would have made it into smash sooner or later
Honestly the genre narrative is pretty scary to speculate about. We might as well suffer a case of too much RPGs, despite getting a platformer (BK) and a fighting game rep (Terry).

D

Deleted member

What actual chances are in KOS-MOS' favor. I haven't seen anything that puts her above anyone else's chances.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
What actual chances are in KOS-MOS' favor. I haven't seen anything that puts her above anyone else's chances.
Sneaky marketing strategies. It gets more obvious when you watch the first direct for the fighters pass and the video on Terry. Respectfully, they have a sad Rex narrative and a sad Namco narrative. To me, these small narratives sound like stories that are waiting for a revolution. The first story is established before they anticipate the success of the pass, so its conclusion is within this pass.

D

Deleted member

Sneaky marketing strategies. It gets more obvious when you watch the first direct for the fighters pass and the video on Terry. Respectfully, they have a sad Rex narrative and a sad Namco narrative. To me, these small narratives sound like stories that are waiting for a revolution. The first story is established before they anticipate the success of the pass, so its conclusion is within this pass.
That's fine and all, but I was referring more to leaks or slip-ups from companies.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I really want KOS-MOS the KOS-MOST out of everyone on my Most-Wanted List, I seriously do, but let me ask you something: Is this a stealth ARMS thread? Because you're reaching here.

Absolutely nothing. She appears in a leak once in a blue moon for whatever reason, and most are immediately disproved because the leaker in question brews up a fake screenshot of a post that does not exist (thanks to Inspect Element). Her odds are completely unknown. I'm of the opinion that Sakurai and Bamco don't give a **** about having a second rep from their company, and even if they did get someone, it's basically any character's game (no pun intended).

D

Deleted member

The Rex and the Namco narratives are intentional slips up. Leaks in general are really unpredictable despite some leakers being legitimate.
You're allowed to believe, that, but I can't take fan narratives as evidence. It's the same logic people have with Geno as one of the "Big 3" Smash Bros characters. Good lot that does him.

Absolutely nothing. She appears in a leak once in a blue moon for whatever reason, and most are immediately disproved because the leaker in question brews up a fake screenshot of a post that does not exist (thanks to Inspect Element). Her odds are completely unknown. I'm of the opinion that Sakurai and Bamco don't give a **** about having a second rep from their company, and even if they did get someone, it's basically any character's game (no pun intended).
Thanks for answering. RIP, I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I really want KOS-MOS the KOS-MOST out of everyone on my Most-Wanted List, I seriously do, but let me ask you something: Is this a stealth ARMS thread? Because you're reaching here.

When you speculate who’s going to be in a game, you must reach your hand on a answer.

“You're allowed to believe, that, but I can't take fan narratives as evidence. It's the same logic people have with Geno as one of the "Big 3" Smash Bros characters. Good lot that does him.”

Geno is a completely different case. He’s basically unreachable for Nintendo. KosMos is ridiculously easy to have big cameos in Nintendo stuff.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
When you speculate who’s going to be in a game, you must reach your hand on a answer.
Convincing yourself something will happen just because you say it will off of no actual evidence does not make your assumptions a reality.
Escapism.png

And assuming she does show up eventually, it would have nothing to do with your theory-crafting, which has no actual sense or merit. Rex would have been able to become playable on his lonesome with Pyra by his side no problem, and they can still add KOS-MOS as a separate character altogether. His exclusion has no bearing on her inclusion and vice versa.

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Convincing yourself something will happen just because you say it will off of no actual evidence does not make your assumptions a reality.
View attachment 246716
And assuming she does show up eventually, it would have nothing to do with your theory-crafting, which has no actual sense or merit. Rex would have been able to become playable on his lonesome with Pyra by his side no problem, and they can still add KOS-MOS as a separate character altogether. His exclusion has no bearing on her inclusion and vice versa.
Yeah, because Sakurai definitely predicted the success of the dlc and wanted to end off the Xeno fans with a big middle finger specifically for them if the dlc failed to reach the numbers. They could’ve not include the costume at all in the pass or talk about it at all, but they didn’t. They put the costume as a part of a 3rd party pass instead of the base game. I said Kosmos was in the pass because I knew it was delusional to assume they would ever bring in Rex after the pass or predicted the future workload. Sakurai literally referenced the unexpected dlc workload about several times. I don’t grab big words to prove a point, I grab Sakurai’s words and point out what he’s doing.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Yeah, because Sakurai definitely predicted the success of the dlc and wanted to end off the Xeno fans with a big middle finger specifically for them if the dlc failed to reach the numbers. They could’ve not include the costume at all in the pass or talk about it at all, but they didn’t. They put the costume as a part of a 3rd party pass instead of the base game. I said Kosmos was in the pass because I knew it was delusional to assume they would ever bring in Rex after the pass or predicted the future workload. Sakurai literally referenced the unexpected dlc workload about several times. I don’t grab big words to prove a point, I grab Sakurai’s words.
Literally the only reason Sakurai would ever pick KOS-MOS over any other potential Namco character:
neat.jpg

And indeed, she's the damn neatest choice he could add right now for me us.

Otherwise, he's not going to cater to anyone just for the hell of it. The guy and his crew adds whatever they want, how ever they want. Thinking otherwise is just setting yourself up for disappointment. Our support group is niche as it is already. Try to show a little realism and not stoop to the same delusions of grandeur that other fanbases suffer from. We are better than that.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, because Sakurai definitely predicted the success of the dlc and wanted to end off the Xeno fans with a big middle finger specifically for them
TBH, no Rex didn't stop us from getting some XC2 music and a buttload of spirits from the game. I wish fans would stop feeling like Sakurai dunked on them intentionally, because he really could have just said "No Rex" and left it there. Making a narrative out of our disappointment accomplishes nothing when we can't control the outcome.

They could’ve not include the costume at all in the pass or talk about it at all, but they didn’t. They put the costume as a part of a 3rd party pass instead of the base game.
...Actually that's a good observation. Why make the Rex costume a fighter's pass bonus? It's not particularly conclusive for KOS-MOS, but it's an interesting idea.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If not KOS-MOS, we could get Elma as FP5. She’s just in time for the original project plan too, unlike Rex. It can be assumed we won’t get anything past mid-2017, hence also why Spring Man is an Assist Trophy. We could get the Astral Chain protag by a fluke, but it would take one HELL of a miracle to do so.

even so, Elma’s currently a Spirit, and I don’t think we’ll see Spirit promotions this pass.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
TBH, no Rex didn't stop us from getting some XC2 music and a buttload of spirits from the game. I wish fans would stop feeling like Sakurai dunked on them intentionally, because he really could have just said "No Rex" and left it there. Making a narrative out of our disappointment accomplishes nothing when we can't control the outcome.[/QOUTE]

Sakurai is a story teller and he is a pretty smart story teller. With a few words, he can change the focus with ease. Making this narrative is accomplishing something for him.

[QOUTE="Bolderousness, post: 23663230, member: 420510"]...Actually that's a good observation. Why make the Rex costume a fighter's pass bonus? It's not particularly conclusive for KOS-MOS, but it's an interesting idea.
It’s to add some bittersweetness for the incoming surprise. It gets the audience somewhat filled with joy, yet, yearn for more.

God! Why is the coding so uncontrollable? It doesn’t make sense.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
The Rex and the Namco narratives are intentional slips up. Leaks in general are really unpredictable despite some leakers being legitimate.
Are you seriously using narratives as backing for your beliefs? Have you ever taken a marketing class at all, or are you merely throwing around the word "marketing strategies?" Because I don't even need to take a marketing class to know that that's not how it works.

If it did, they'd be much more overt with these "narratives" you're talking about, giving them a proper setup to later create pay off. Instead, they were one-off remarks with no significance attached to them.

Furthermore, is there any precedence for something like this happening before? No, there isn't.

KOS-MOS has valid merits to her inclusion, but this definitely ain't it chief.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Are you seriously using narratives as backing for your beliefs? Have you ever taken a marketing class at all, or are you merely throwing around the word "marketing strategies?" Because I don't even need to take a marketing class to know that that's not how it works. If it did, they'd be much more overt with these "narratives" you're talking about, giving them a proper setup to later create pay off. Instead, they were one-off remarks with no significance attached to them.

Furthermore, is there any precedence for something like this happening before? No, there isn't. KOS-MOS has valid merits to her inclusion, but this definitely ain't it chief.
Everybody be gangster until Tehponycorn kicks down the door to your support thread and starts spitting facts.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Are you seriously using narratives as backing for your beliefs? Have you ever taken a marketing class at all, or are you merely throwing around the word "marketing strategies?" Because I don't even need to take a marketing class to know that that's not how it works.

If it did, they'd be much more overt with these "narratives" you're talking about, giving them a proper setup to later create pay off. Instead, they were one-off remarks with no significance attached to them.

Furthermore, is there any precedence for something like this happening before? No, there isn't.

KOS-MOS has valid merits to her inclusion, but this definitely ain't it chief.
Talking trash doesn’t mean **** to me. I’m a theorist, I experience this crap quite constantly. I won’t back down because you’re trying to appear rad. Besides, you’re making yourself look ridiculous.

Everybody be gangster until Tehponycorn kicks down the door to your support thread and starts spitting facts.
What facts? All I can see is a guy thumping his feet on a soap box.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Talking trash doesn’t mean **** to me. I’m a theorist, I experience this crap quite constantly. I won’t back down because likes trying to appear rad. Besides, you’re making yourself look ridiculous.
To be fair, he has a point for one thing. When have these Narrative Theories ever been successful in Smash speculation?

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
...Actually that's a good observation. Why make the Rex costume a fighter's pass bonus? It's not particularly conclusive for KOS-MOS, but it's an interesting idea.
Xenoblade 2 is a fairly popular game on the Switch and Rex was a character that almost everyone expected to be playable in Smash.

I doubt that there's anything more to it than that.

D

Deleted member

Xenoblade 2 is a fairly popular game on the Switch and Rex was a character that almost everyone expected to be playable in Smash.

I doubt that there's anything more to it than that.
I guess. Just sort of weird from a marketing perspective to have him be locked behind the entire fighter's pass. Like not even as separate DLC. Not evidence, but still weird.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
I won’t lie with all the notifications I got I thought something cool happened but...... this is just.... not what I expected.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Talking trash doesn’t mean **** to me. I’m a theorist, I experience this crap quite constantly. I won’t back down because likes trying to appear rad. Besides, you’re making yourself look ridiculous.
spikewut.gif

Except I didn't trash talk you? I did say your "theory" wasn't it, because it isn't.

I provided evidence for my point, being that if a narrative were being set up, the beginning would be more notable (which the "beginnings" you propose weren't) and that there is no precedent for narratives being used in Smash speculation (so why would they suddenly be used now).

In response you've proceeded to attack my character rather than my points or my argument. I believe that speaks more to the weakness of your argument than anything about my character.

Last edited:

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500
I guess. Just sort of weird from a marketing perspective to have him be locked behind the entire fighter's pass. Like not even as separate DLC. Not evidence, but still weird.
It’s even weirder when you realize the Nia Mii costume was in the base game.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
To be fair, he has a point for one thing. When have these Narrative Theories ever been successful in Smash speculation?
I think a lot of narrative theories tend to stretch so far on leaks or characters that are ridiculously inaccessible for Nintendo. Kosmos is more probable than Geno or Banjo.
View attachment 246720

Except I didn't trash talk you? I did say your "theory" wasn't it, because it isn't.

I provided evidence for my point, being that if a narrative were being set up, the beginning would be more notable (which the "beginnings" you propose weren't) and that there is no precedent for narratives being used in Smash speculation (so why would they suddenly be used now).

In response you've proceeded to attack my character rather than my points or my argument. I believe that speaks more to the weakness of your argument than anything about my character.
How can you argue against me if your evidence against is not present at all? All you’re saying is that the evidence isn’t convincing then **** off with out of topic bull****. You don’t actually prove that the Rex costume situation isn’t weird as ****.

Look, even other people are putting money into the pot.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
You know I've Watched these thread for months now, and i don't think I've seen it this populated before, not that I'm Complaining

Anyway i actually do got a question for you. Do you think KOS-MOS, along with coming with her Xenosaga content, might bring some extra Xenoblade content along with her, including maybe songs?

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
You know I've Watched these thread for months now, and i don't think I've seen it this populated before, not that I'm Complaining

Anyway i actually do got a question for you. Do you think KOS-MOS, along with coming with her Xenosaga content, might bring some extra Xenoblade content along with her, including maybe songs?
I'd rather Smash keep Xenosaga and Xenoblade separate from each other.

D

Deleted member

I think a lot of narrative theories tend to stretch so far on leaks or characters that are ridiculously inaccessible for Nintendo. Kosmos is more probable than Geno or Banjo.
I mean, the only reason people really believed in Banjo was because of Shinobi and the Cable Guys figure. Both had solid historical merit that lent itself to a revivial for the duo, so we could believe that Banjo had a shot at E3. Geno has next to no solid evidence for him, or what was evidence has officially been killed off until we find something more credible. As we've seen so far, it does Geno no good.

Xenosaga songs? Absolutely. Xenoblade Chronicles 2? Doubt. The most is probably Xenoblade Chronicles X.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
User was warned for this post
I won’t lie with all the notifications I got I thought something cool happened but...... this is just.... not what I expected.
Disappointed_Phos.jpg

Believe us when we say that it's been a painful back-to-back while you were away.

miles_edgeworth_says_you're_a_clown.jpg

D

Deleted member

Right!? Like what does Sakurai hope to gain from doing that? Just from a marketing perspective assuming no KOSMOS.

D

Deleted member

Also let's cool it down on the teasing y'all. At most, we disagree with each other. No reason to actively go all out at each other when we all support the same character.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Right!? Like what does Sakurai hope to gain from doing that? Just from a marketing perspective assuming no KOSMOS.
In all seriousness though, I would pop off hard if we get a Rex promotion in the future. I want my Mor Ardain stage and music dammit.

Also let's cool it down on the teasing y'all. At most, we disagree with each other. No reason to actively go all out at each other when we all support the same character.
Hey, to be fair, his comment was prime for anger-induced incitement from the characters he mentioned. I don't want Genobros and Banjobros to assume we think our character is better than theirs. People love guilting others purely on association, and I want nothing to do with anyone who tries to make a whole crowd look bad.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

In all seriousness though, I would pop off hard if we get a Rex promotion in the future. I want my Mor Ardain stage and music dammit.
Yo they could have added so much more from XC2's soundtrack. Three songs just is not enough.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Xenoblade 2 fans that wanted Rex in the game have an extra incentive to buy the Fighter's Pass.

I know that it worked on me... :ohwell:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Yo they could have added so much more from XC2's soundtrack. Three songs just is not enough.
Indeed! Tatsuya has excellent taste in music. Literally all Xeno games have fantastic tracks in 'em. Part of me wants to believe Sakurai is holding off incase he can work in Rex or Elma later down the line so that there's something to provide with their potential (promotional) inclusion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom