• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Koopa Questions: a Bowser Q&A Thread

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
Koopa Questions

Thought I would make this thread so if anyone is unsure about something bowser related they can ask here instead of making a new thread (the last thing we need is anothr thread about his sideb)

I'll start it off and use this format, instead of quoting the asker and cluttering up the thread just post the answer.

Person 1:How come i can't control bowsers sideb.

Person 2:The player with the lower damage percentage will have more control over it.

Pretty simple so if you have any questions go ahead and ask.

Previously answered questions
Please read through in he event your question has already been answered.

What makes it possible for bowser to drag characters down in the air using firebreath?
The constant hitboxes hit them before they can escape the fire.

I find myself using side B as a substitute for shield grabbing alot, is that normal?
Normal cannot be defined as everyone plays in their own unique style, if it's advised or not is a different story. With Bowsers numerous grab release options (see stickied thread) a grab is almost always a better option, in fact alot of grab releases can lead into a side b, so the only difference is you can get a few jabs in as well. Also the a shieldgrab will come out faster than a sideb.

Are there any uses for dair?
It is a bad move generally but it does have some uses. It does pretty good damage if it hits all the way in a short hop, and it can also spike with the last hit. When facing a character like Lucario who can keep you up, using Dair can actually be be a pretty good choice (depending on where you land it). It has terrible landing lag but the at roughly 50% or above the wind effect will push the opponent far enough away so they can't punish you.

What is the best way to momentum cancel with Bowser?
Fair

How do you usually/what is the best way to edgeguard with bowser, when the opponent is already on the ledge?
As a ledge attack counter, try shield > grab, or just try and perfect shield it into a ftilt or jab.. Dsmash is best for edgerollers, and as long as you space it right (Bowser's Dsmash covers the whole roll area) it will catch them. Usmash or utilt for ledgejumpers and there is a variety od choices for ledge hoppers such as ftilt, fsmash, dtilt, etc

Is Bowser any good in doubles play and if so who would be a good partner for him?
He is decent but not great. Grab releases are limited due to the fact someone will hit you out of them. Kill potential is the only reason to use him in doubles and his partner sholud be quick and able to rack up damage easily.

What are bowser's good and bad stages? Also, reasons why would be helpful if it doesn't bother anyone too much. Thanks!
Good:
Smashville - Ledge is impossible to miss, small blastzones good for early kos, moving platform =sex for koopahopping.
Battlefield - Utilt/Usmash ***** on platforms, platform camping, etc.
Norfair - Lots of ledges, platforms, etc. Good for ****.

Bad:
Yoshi's Island - Koopahopping is pretty much null here.
Japes - Reasons are pretty obvious.
FD - Not BAD, but bad vs. campers like Falco, etc
RC - Constant moving of stage limits grab releases and forces you in the air and will ocassionally kill you for it.

I've been working on Bowser's Up B OoS, and it works quite well in surprising/connecting with opponents, but I find that it pops them up so little (at low percents, of course) that they can usually smack me with an aerial while I'm in the ending frames of the move. Maybe I'm not moving away quickly enough or something, but I feel like I'm set up for a free hit most of the time when hit the UpB OoS, which sucks. What can I do to change this?
Mindgame your direction by moving one way then quickly move another.

Is the down B overly useful?
Down B is generally good for surprise kills and returning to the ledge, and occasionally out of a grab release.

Does bowsers bair have a sweet spot and if so at what point?
Bowser's Bair pretty much sweet spots at the whole shell, but occasionally you will hit witrh a weaker, outer part at the end of the spikes which has very low knockback.

Who would be the "best" Bowser player?
Sliq, or Vex Kasrani. Ninjalink also play a good Bowser but doesn't main him.

Is there any way to play cheap with Bowser? I mean, can you make your opponent not want to play anymore because you're being too gay?
On certain characters sideb spam can be annyooing for them. Also characters that get screwed over by Bowsers chaingrab may get frustrated (lol charizard) In general however it is quite hard to be gay with Bowser.

Is there any way to ensure a ground release out of a grab?
Pummeling your opponent will cause them to break out faster. With the right timing, you can force a ground release if you mash pummel a split second before they're released. Pay attention to their %. Also, pay attention to how fast your opponent is mashing out of your grab. With practice, you can actually predict when your opponent will break out of your grab as long as you pay close attention to those two things.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I like to kill people by breathing my fire at them while they are recovering and then dragging them down with it below the ledge so they have a hard time recovering. I sort of want to know what makes this work, is it just gravity keeping them in the fire and the constant hit boxes not letting them escape?

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
yeah i wasn't sure if this was necessary considering we have the chatroom and general discussion , but there were alot of people coming in and making new threads just to ask a question and were to stupid to realize they could ask it there. However if you think this is unnecessary thats fine we can just let it die (considering no mod will lock it for a while)

JOE!

Smash Hero
How does bowser fare against characters that can *gay* him to death with infinite grabs, etc, if said characters are anned from using those moves against him?

HeWhoCanSee

Smash Cadet
I like to kill people by breathing my fire at them while they are recovering and then dragging them down with it below the ledge so they have a hard time recovering. I sort of want to know what makes this work, is it just gravity keeping them in the fire and the constant hit boxes not letting them escape?
*haz theory*

Characters get pushed away from the fire. When unhindered by a wall or floor, the fire aims downward. Logically speaking, the character you're burning to death is being pushed downward as well. The fact that Bowser (or Charizard) is descending as well doesn't help your opponent all that much.

Either that or they get stuck under your face and can't escape because they're getting the crap burnt out of them, causing hitlag. =/

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
Normal cannot be defined as everyone plays in their own unique style, if it's advised or not is a different story. With Bowsers numerous grab release options (see stickied thread) a grab is almost always a better option, in fact alot of grab releases can lead into a side b, so the only difference is you can get a few jabs in as well. That being said I personally can't see the harm in you continuing to just use side b considering the frame data shows they both grab at about frame 10. Hope that helps :)

Phiddlesticks

Smash Lord
That being said I personally can't see the harm in you continuing to just use side b considering the frame data shows they both grab at about frame 10.
Shield grabbing is actually faster than using the klaw. Even though a grounded klaw grabs on frame 8 and a standing grab grabs on frame 9 or 10 (according to the frame data topic), with the klaw you also have to take the frames for Bowser to drop his shield into account (which is 6, iirc). Since you can grab directly from a shield, grabbing is faster.

This is also why Bowser and Marth's upb are so good OoS, as opposed to using something like Ivysaur's Bullet Seed OoS (it also has invincibility on its startup frames, but you can't use it directly OoS)

Bowser's Dair: bad move or worst move?

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
Dair is very meh. It does pretty good damage if it hits all the way in a short hop, but it's lag is pretty bad. Luckily, if you do with it, the knockback will prevent punishment at high enough percents (around 50%)

Plus, Dair can spike off stage with the last hit. You can also shdair offstage and still recover.

Not really worst, it has applications good for it. I think nair is worst, imo.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Bowser's Dair: bad move or worst move?
Worst Move.

There are many times where using Dair is actually a smart move. When facing a character like Lucario who can keep you up, using Dair can actually be be a pretty good choice (depending on where you land it). The "push" effect also comes in handy.

The end and landing lag is a pain and if you don't time it well you'll get the crummy weak side.

-:bowser:Bowser King

Phiddlesticks

Smash Lord
Don't jump if you don't need to though. Bowser's recovery isn't very good, so if you can save your jump, it's much easier to make it back to the stage

Hixxy

Smash Apprentice
Bumping with a question.

When playing an infiniting Dedede, how do you respond? With a hammer or your fist?
Whisper dirty talk in their ear. There's a chance of them making a mistake that allows you to escape when they look at you with a strange face, move away from you, or need to play Super Smash Bros. Barlw in the bathroom. This doesn't work as well against players with good spacing (e.g. sitting across the room), particularly when they are on Wi-Fi. Make sure to ban counter picking head wear.

Phiddlesticks

Smash Lord
^If you are fighting on wifi, the Dedede shouldn't be able to infinite you anyways :)

Also, my question was more like "Is dair the worst move in the game or is it just really really bad?" rather than "Are there any uses for dair?"

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
Yeah I know Phiddlesticks i just thought it would be more handy for bowser newbies to read the uses rather than just saying its crap. If you would like me to change it I will though.

Lotopius

Smash Cadet
How do you usually/what is the best way to edgeguard with bowser, when the opponent is already on the ledge?

I usually uptilt (pivoted) if they ledgejump , downtilt if they stall/leave the ledge to attack, and downsmash if they ledgeattack.
Is it "alright" or should I ban one of these habbits from my game?

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
^ Instead of Dsmash as a ledge attack counter, try shield > grab, or just try and perfect shield it into a ftilt or jab.

Dsmash is better left to edgerollers, and as long as you space it right (Bowser's Dsmash covers the whole roll area) it will catch them.

Upsmash may work better rather than utilt, but if you can hit it then stick with it.

I usually use ftilt or fsmash for ledgehoppers, but Dtilt does the same thing.

Shade487z

Smash Cadet
Is Bowser any good in doubles play and if so who would be a good partner for him?

I thought I saw a thread of this a while back but it's vanished.

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
From my experience, Bowser is nothing special in doubles play, he's okay, but not terribly great or anything.

Generally you can not grab release since someone is bound to hit you (gay), but your attacks have long range and are pretty much easy to land.

It has it's pros and cons, like anything else.

Top Bottom