• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Kong Off - A Super Smash Bros Tournament (QLD)

D.J Cat

Smash Lord
Hello Smashboards Australia.

Here I am posting on Smashboards, how quaint...

So anyway, I thought I'd share this write up I did of the Kong Off Tournaments from 2014.
I think it could be a good thing for people to do, documenting old tournaments, partly for the nostalgia factor for all us old farts, but also all the new kids on the block may appreciate it too.

Who knows, it could be an ongoing series, a spotlight/flashback to old tournaments whether it be in the form of good old fashioned written word, podcasts, interviews...who knows where it could go.
Food for thought.

So this thread is partly for documenting the past but also for discussing the potential of future Kong Offs.

Anyway, that's enough jibber jabber for now, have this!

Hey all, I thought I would do a write up of the popular Kong Off Tournaments from 2014.
Firstly, watch the trailer to get hyped and get an idea of what it might be about!

Kong Off Trailer:

PROLOGUE:
So, the Kong Off Tournaments were a Super Smash Bros Melee tournament series held in mid 2014 in Brisbane in the state of Queensland (QLD) Australia.
I'm trying to remember specifically how it all started so I linked to the posts on smashboards to jog my memory (see below)

So, the QLD Smash Scene, specifically Melee had really kicked back into gear in a big way thanks mostly to the documentary series "The Smash Brothers" which debuted in late 2013.
It was a great time to be a part of the scene after many years of very low attendance and interest.

During this time there was a Donkey Kong obsession within the QLD Smash Community and I think I recall the event that kicked it off.
Smoking Puppy hosted a smash meet at his place during Easter 2014 and during this event the up and coming Mytus challenged the more established J-Birds to a money match.
J-Birds was so confident in his ability to win the match that he claimed he could beat Mytus's Shiek with his DK.
A very confident statement from J-Birds considering how those 2 characters normally match up.
Against the backdrop of the Kangaroo Point skyline an epic battle was had and the up and comer gave J-Birds the Mytus Touch and prevailed in a climactic finish.

So after that J-Birds swore revenge and had to win with DK, so he started training his DK in his humble abode nestled in the leafy suburb of Mount Gravatt - The Bird's Nest.

Videos like this, made by Mytus using Donkey Kong and Shiek's heads superimposed onto Batman and Bane to promote upcoming smash events really helped further enhance the rivalry.

And here is another one: (fast forward to the 48 seconds mark)

Kong Off is also glowingly referred to in this video from about 34 seconds in:

J-Birds continued toiling away in his nest to harden up his Kong, but despite the considerable talent of his Kong the emerging fresh talent of Mytus, G-Money and others were able to spank the monkey with their top tier character advantages and rapid improvement.

The enthusiasm for the Kong continued to grow during this time.
Amongst some members of the community, at the character select screen if someone picked Donkey Kong the hounarable thing for the other player to do would be to immediately pick Donkey Kong as well, even in legitimate tournament matches.
One of the most influential DK afficiandos was the up and coming powerhouse of the QLD Smash Scene - Smoking Puppy.
His Rivalry/Bro-Mance with J-Birds and the epic Kong vs Kong battles really helped moisten everyone's appetite for more Kong.

The 2 Doyles of Browns Plains, Bob and Dino were watching all this unfold and wondered if people would be interested in a Kong only Melee Tournament.
There was precedence for this from 2010 when QLD was swept up with Ganondorf fever and the famous DORF OFF tournaments were held.
While yes, they were smash tournaments, they were more an excuse to get absolutely hammered while enjoying video games and the antics of the Smash Scene.
So from there, in the tradition of the DORF OFF tournaments Bob and Dino made a hype video to see if people were interested in a KONG OFF and bestowing the honour of being Queensland's King of Kongs (QKOK)

And the answer was a very resounding YES!

The title "King of Kongs" was also a small homage to legendary QLD Smasher King Kong who was a talented smasher who got around in the very early days of competitive Smash in Australia and who proudly represented the Brisbane Tech Team, QLD and also Donkey Kong by maining DK and punching far beyond his weight despite the character disadvantage.
I once saw him do his cargo grab juggle 0-100% against no other than Ken in a money match in Melbourne in 2007.

The good folks of the QLD Smash Scene really helped build the hype for the upcoming tournament.
The majority of the regulars on smashboards changed their avatars to Donkey Kong related ones.
And better yet, they picked characters that suited their personalities.
For example:

J-Birds - Donkey Kong - It makes sense. He was the Prime Ape and the one who mostly kicked off this whole thing.

Smoking Puppy - Diddy Kong - J-Bird's little buddy. While they had a rivalry for 1 vs 1 matches they would always team up in a Donkey/Diddy Tag Team style for Doubles Matches.

Dino - Leo Luster - Cool guy in shades. Demands you let his people GO GO (to the Kong Off)

D.J Cat - Cranky Kong - the old head of the group who continues to tell everyone that games were better back in his day and is a fan of doing things the old fashioned way (like posting on forums that are over 15 years old instead of using the newfangled "social medias" that all the young whippersnappers were rapping about)

Syke - K.Rool - wasn't a fan of the Kong Off concept but still came to at least one of the tournaments and perfectly played the villain role by having K.Rool as an avatar.

There was plenty more but that's all I remember off the top of my head.

THE KONG OFF:
The time had finally came for the Kong Off.
In preparation for the tournament i put Donkey Kong posters up (which stayed until we moved out of that house) and had one TV setup with the original Donkey Kong Country and also the original DK Arcade game on another TV (via Donkey Kong 64)
We also had some DK shirts, DK related team names, Banana Bread Beer and who could forget...the legendary Donkey Schlong!
We had something like 25 people turn up (not everyone participated, there was plenty of interested onlookers) and a great time was had by all.
J-Birds confirmed his position as the King of Kongs and also powered to victory in Doubles with his little buddy.

Kong Off 1 - Friday the 4th July 2014

Dino63
Smash Journeyman
Jul 5, 2014

Kong Off Results

DK Doubles

1st Coconut Cream Pie Showers (Spup/J-Birds)
2nd With Zeeeeeec (Moose/Syke)
3rd BIG D*CK 2 - Donkey Schlong (Bob/Dino)
4th Donkey D*cks Desuex (Toki/Marcus)
5th King Kong Dong (Arrow/Budgie)
5th Golden Bananas (Woodley/Gords)
7th Planet Of the DKs (Vyse/Jess)
7th Blue Suede Monkey Balls (Monkey/Blue)

DK Singles
1st J-Birds
2nd Syke
3rd Smoking Puppie
4th Phrase
5th Dino
5th DJ Cat
7th Blue
7th Gords
9th Budgie
9th Monkey

https://smashboards.com/proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi381.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Foo259%2Fdjdino063%2Fdkchamps.jpg&hash=f4f17d42f6fc3afed347b1a7d9719e73

THE ROAD TO KONG OFF 2:

After the success of the first tournament, people were already frothing at the idea of a Kong Off 2.

While we were keen, we also didn't want to flog the concept too hard, and the calender was pretty packed with either tournaments or meet ups most weekends.

A few short weeks passed, but then the QLD Smash Scene was saddened to learn that one of our favourites would soon be leaving us...

The ever charming J-Birds was following his dreams and making a Good Korea Move...

How was Smo-Pup, the little buddy who could - going to continue without his Kong Idol?
How was Bob going to motivate himself to come to Smash Tournaments without having J-Birds' glorious mane to admire?

Well, the least we could do was ask what J-Birds wanted as a going away present.
And what else would the King of Kongs want...
It was time for Kong Off 2!

KONG OFF 2: SMO-PUP'S KONG QUEST

The preparation was short, but we all still pulled together and put on one HELL of a show!
Much like Donkey Kong Country 2 in 1995, the sequel to the Kong Off learnt from the rawness of the original and tweaked the formula to produce a masterpiece.

We had hacked Wii's with Donkey Kong themed songs on certain levels, an epic crew battle, a camcorder to record the live action and all of the elements from the original we all loved.

J-Birds emerged victorious yet again, satisfied as the reigning King of Kongs for years to come.
He also came out on top in doubles again with his little buddy.

As the 2 champions of the Kongs, Birds and Puppy captained and picked their crews and took part in a great showdown.
Puppy and Birds both led from the front and sent each other in first.
The 2 stock lead that Puppy won that first battle by ended up being the difference in the end and his Crew came out on top.

Kong Off 2 - Friday the 15th of August 2014.

Ladies, Gentlemens and massive wizards ............ Kong Off 2
Friday 15th of August at 7:30pm, at Bob and Dino's place (pm practically anyone in Qld for the address)
Usual stuff to occur, BBQ, BYOB, and the same prizes for winning doubles and singles with the winners of doubles winning a Donkey Schlong (trust me, you want it)

Dino63
Smash Journeyman
Aug 17, 2014

Kong Off 2 Results

Doubles

1. Hand Me a Banana Little Buddy - J-Birds Spup
2. Let my people go go - Toki Arrow
3. Original Lazy Doyles F***up Average Routine Techs SoOften (OLD FARTS) - Bob & Dino
4. Kongtenks - Mytus Woodley
5. Banana In My Pants - Monkey Tranq
6. xXx_GRu$$_xXx - G$ Russel
7. 100% Mondo Cool 420 - Nonco Vincent Van GoGo
8. Love Machine - Vyse Jess

Singles
1. J-Birds
2. Smoking Puppie
3. Vincent Van GoGo
4. Woodley
4. Tranq
6. Bob
6. Dino
6. G$
6. Monkey
10. Russel

Crews
Spup Crew Defeated J-Birds Crew
Stocks Taken
Spup 6 stocks
Nonco 2 stock
Woodley 2 stocks
Vincent 6 stocks
Russel 2 stocks
Tranq 6 stocks

JBirds 2 stocks
G$ 6 stocks
Bob 3 stocks
Dino 3 stocks
Mytus 4 stocks
Monkey 4 stocks

Cheers for coming guys, Good Food, Good Grog and Good Times left everyone all fat and happy
I hope that was a good enough send off for you King Birds.
As for the future of Kong Offs, we'll take a break from them for a while, we might still host smash meats (of the bbq variety) but hold the kong offs off until J-Birds returns for
The Lord of The Kongs: Return of the King

Long Live the King of Kongs

THE END?

So ya'all are probably wondering why I bothered doing this lengthy explanation of a couple of Melee Events from over 6 years ago.

To be honest, it was mostly just to document one my most memorable and favourite Smash related stories that I believe those who attended remember fondly and others will be interested to read about.
And to better explain to the interstaters who were reading the forums at the time and wondering what was up with these bloody Queenslanders and their Donkey Kong obsession?

The hype wasn't just confined to those who attended, others were keen and couldn't make it and we had an audience who wanted to watch Kong Off 2 on stream....
Sadly our technology/the internet in Browns Plains at the time wasn't quite up to standard and those who tried to watch mostly just saw a blurred screen.

I know I recorded plenty of entertaining footage on a cheap camcorder we got from K-Mart, if anyone knows/has this footage let me know!
I feel I gave copies of the footage to one or more people that attended but I don't fully remember.
It would be awesome to edit together a little montage but even if I had the footage L.O.G knows when the hell I would have time to do anything with it so for now this write up will have to do.

KONG OFF 3?

So now comes the 64 Million Dollar question...
Will there ever be a Kong Off 3?

Me personally, I think it's unlikely.
It was kind of perfect as it was, an excellent idea executed well and delivered at just the right time.
It had all the momentum then, and it would be hard to recapture/re engage the same level of excitement some 7 years later.

I also feel that if we were going to have Kong Off 3 it needed to be when J-Birds returned (he's back baby!) or at least within a few months of him getting back.

Having said all that...
If people were keen on a Kong Off 3 I would very much be down for it.
We already have the title as so eloquently put by Dino in the above post:

The Lord of The Kongs: Return of the King

So yeah, it's possible, perhaps if Nintendo/Retro suddenly reveal they have been secretly working on a Donkey Kong game for the last 5 years and are about to unleash it on the world, maybe that would spark everyone's interest?
We shall see.

Thanks for reading!
Hey you very good!
See you next time!

What's everyones thoughts?
And if anyone who attended/observed wants to share their perspectives then go for it!

Last edited:
Top Bottom