• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kone Presents: EDster, April 21st. Newcastle upon Tyne *The BIG one, Dougless =x*

Kone

Smash Master
EDster baby! thats right, its all booked and ready to go!

EDster will take place on Saturday 21st April in Newcastle upon Tyne. This will be the fourth large tournament I’ve personally hosted and second in the 'ED' series of tournaments. Soon to be followed by 'EDoween'. This will be the fourth stop of the UK 06/07 Season. Placings at this tournament will be combined with that from AR,EDmas and TNJ to produce a UK ranking system that will roll over to future UK tournaments. Myself and the SDB are aiming to make this a fun tournament for all!

Details :

Contact Details / Host Details :

Ed by ;
Email - ceddon@hotmail.com
MSN - ceddon@hotmail.com
AIM - KoneofNewcastle
Mobile - If you need this send me a PM, I will reply promptly.

For those with any inquiries just send me a pm on smash boards or email me. If this is your first tournament and your on the young side then I’m more than willing to chat with parents on the phone. I’ve done this several times in the past.

Backroom Staff:

These are the guys that will be helping me run the tournament. Please say thank you to them if your know who they are when you leave. A lot of these people have no major interest in Smash and are given me their time and therefore yours to help make this things run smoothly ;

Richy ( The Mole )
Stevie (Big Man)
Addy
Laura
Jess
Stu (LK)

Travel :

Train: Get a train to Newcastle upon Tyne Central Station. If your travelling by train I urge you to purchase tickets as soon a possible. Advance purchase tickets are released by train companies eight weeks before the departure date. Advanced purchase tickets are limited to a quota per journey, so the later you book the less likely you are to get one. Normal tickets will be around double that of advance purchase.

For those that are travelling in groups I urge you to buy group tickets. Train companies offer two types ; group of 4 or 10. These tickets are great as they considerably reduce the cost of travel. The only criteria is that if you book a group ticket all parties named on said ticket MUST travel. If they do not and flake last minute it invalidates the ticket. In my opinion this is great for the likes of the Mafia, GMC and London scene.

I’ve done a little research on train tickets from London so people can see the difference :

E.g. Travelling from London to Newcastle, leaving early Sat morning and retuning teatime Sunday the total cost if you have a group of ten discount is £43.60 pp. This suggests to me already that train tickets are going to be a little on the dear side!

Contact National Rail Enquiries on the following number for advice : 08457 48 49 50

My last hint on travelling by train is too look into Rail cards. For only £20 pound for a year you will get a 30% discount. Child and Student card are available;
:

Though this may not save you money on THIS journey it will in the future. If your serious about being involved in the Smash Community then this will serve you well for the 06-07 season.

Coach:

If your travelling by coach you want to arrive at Newcastle upon Tyne coach station. If your low on money that coach is your best option, however what if offers in price you lose out on comfortable ride. Less space and longer travelling times.

Purchase tickets from National Express on 08705 808080 or visit www.nationalexpress.com. For those travelling from London then I urge you to look into the funfares . These tickets are available from any location in the UK to and from London. They are ridiculously cheap. However, the journey times are minging.

Another trick for people. If your really skint and don’t live in London but live in the Southern regions try the following. Get a funfare from your town to London and then purchase another funfare from London to Newcastle. This should cut costs.

Plane:

With more and more low cost airlines around and airports carrying more airlines than airfares can be an option for you.

In any case I’ve compiled a list of cheap airlines for all and where they fly from. Ive found in a lot of cases that people are unaware of what airports are nearby and what airlines they carry. His information maybe useful for most parties in the future ;

www.easternairways.com
www.flybmi.com
www.bmibaby
www.easyjet.com www.jet2.com .
www.thomsonfly.com www.flybe.com
www.flyglobespan.com
www.ryanair.com

E.g. from London : A return flight from Lon Stansted to Newcastle with easy jet is currently £40.98.

Car :

If your travelling by car then a useful website is ;

www.aarouteplanner.com

Simply put your postcode in the departure field and my post code (NE6 5NU) in the arrival field. Then print off instructions. Always remember if you can pack a car full then the petrol costs between 4 or 5 will always be cheaper then any other form of transport (save the Coach funfare). Road trips with mates are always good banter!

There is also plenty of free car parking space in my street.

FINALLY REGARDING TRANPORT. IM ASKING EVERYONE TO PM, THAT’S PM ON SMASHBOARDS, THEIR TRAVEL DETAILS. IE HOW YOUR TRAVELLING AND YOUR ARRIVAL AND DEPARTURE DATES. IF YOUR COMING BY CAR THEN LET ME KNOW YOUR APPROXIMATE TIME OF ARRIVAL. DO NOT POST THE INFORMATION IN THIS THREAD, OR YOU WON’T BE PICKED UP.

WHEN YOU HAVE SENT ME YOUR PM I WILL TELL YOU WHETHER YOU WILL BE PICKED UP FROM YOUR ARRIVAL POINT BY CAR OR TOLD TO GET NEARER MY HOUSE MY METRO. CAR PICKUPS WIL BE LIMITED, MAINLY TO THOSE ARRIVING AT SILLY TIMES. IF TOLD TO GET THE METRO FOLLOW THESE INTRUCTIONS:

By Coach :

WALK :

Once you have walked through the entrance to the train station turn left. You will notice a large Black ‘M’ on a yellow background. This donates the entrance to the Metro. Purchase a ticket to ‘Chillingham Road’ , should cost between £1 - 2 . You can skip the ticket as inspectors are very few. But don’t blame me if you get caught ! (I’ve been caught once in my life >_> ).

Take the left hand platform and go one stop to Monument. Change at Monument to the Eastern line. From here you travel two stops and get off at Chillingham Road metro. Then give me a ring to be collected.

By Train :

As above except the initial walking paragraph.

By Plane :

When you pass through the arrival gate and into the main building you will notice signs for the Metro leading to your left. Follow them. Purchase a ticket to ‘Four Lane Ends’ . Cost you around £2-3. Get on ANY Metro, either platform. Stay in the Metro for 5 stops, and change at South Gosforth. You don’t need to change platform. Stay on the platform you got off on. Wait for a ‘Coast’ metro and get off at Four Lane Ends, takes two stops. DO NOT get on a ‘Airport’ train. Funnily enough you will go back to where you started X_x.

By Bus:

If you locate Newcastle Central Station ie if you come by train walk out of the main entrance or if by coach ask someone to point you to the train station. You'll notice a bus stop outside a bar opposite the train station. The bar is 'Gotham Town'. Get on the number '1' bus and ask the driver to tell you to get of at 'Heaton Park Road'. From here you'll notice that your on the top of Cardian Terrace. Thats my street! if you get confused just ring my mobile!

VENUE :

Durant Hall,
Byker,
Newcastle upon Tyne

EDster is going to be a TWO day tournament. We have the venue from the following times:

Friday : 6pm - 11pm

Saturday : 1pm - 11pm

I urge all to come down for the Friday night. We will have friendlies, North v South and a Crew tournament.

GENERAL TOURNAMENT INFORMATION:

The tournament is going to be a two day event. I will be running the following events ;

1. Singles

 4 Stock
 8 Minute time limit
 Best of three games
 Loser picks next stage or switches character. Not slobs
 Following stages are on random : Pokemon Stadium, Final Destination and Dreamland 64
 Pokemon Stadium to be used at the start of every game. SDB LOVE PS.
 Banned stages = all the crap ones. Will update this with common sense later.
 Pot split 60/25/15

Singles will be ran first, starting around 1pm. Registration will be a little earlier around 12.30pm. The format of singles will either be Pools or Swiss. Im VERY tempted to run two swiss leagues, having the top eight from each division meeting in a normal 16 person Double Elimination bracket. In my opinion and my current thinking Swiss seems fairer. In Swiss you play around 5-7 matches against opponents within your division that have the same win/loss record. Therefore, except for the first match you would play all your matches should be against opponents of equal skill.

The following will be seeded for singles, based upon the placements at AR ;

Top Seed

TBC
-----

2. Crews

Rules:

The crew tournament will be ran after singles. It will be a proper crew tournament, ran in single bracket format. Only recognised crews will be allowed to participate. As for now I recognise ; Mafia, SDB, GMC, STFU and RAF. If you and your crew are not on that list and would like to compete please post in this thread so that your involvement can be considered. I want the crew battle to be as pure as possible.

The Mafia and SDB will be seeded.

Equipment

So far I have the following ;

7 x 28 inch Tvs
2 x 21 inch Tvs
5 x Small Tvs
5 x Setups ( Gamecube, Smash game and Memory Card)
3 x Sound Systems
2 x Video Camcorders
1 x TV Capture Card

I’m therefore looking for 9 more setups. Please let me know if your willing to bring one.

Also, if you bring a setup please label it.

If your driving and want to bring a 21 inch or bigger TV please do so. More larger Tvs the better.

Housing

Housing is offered to everyone on the FRIDAY AND SATURDAY NIGHT. I urge everyone to stay both nights.

I can offer Thursday night housing if its REALLY REALLY needed. Inquire with myself!

I’m not willing to house any foreigners, so please look to come to a future UK tournament.

If your staying over the Saturday night I urge you to bring a sleeping bag. Also, I can’t guarantee many people won’t be sleeping on the floor.

Conduct
---------

General common sense. Be civil with each other, don’t antagonise. Put your litter in the bin. Bring deodrant and WEAR it. Don’t piss on the rim of the toilet. Shoes off when you come into the house. Be courteous to my housemates. When its late Saturday night keep the noise down for others sleeping and my neighbours. (Ill have a room cornered off for those wishing to head to bed earlier). If you smoke use my yard. If you want a joint use the yard or the room designated by myself as the smoking room ( you’ll find SDB here most the time lol). Drinking is fine, just don’t take the piss. This is after all to celebrate Christmas so SDB will be having more than one can. Your welcome to pop down local pubs or head into Newcastle town. Just let me know where you’ve gone and try keep noise down when re-entering the house at night.

Thank you!

--------------

So yeah guys. Few quick points:

* TWO DAY EVENT
*FRIDAY AND SATURDAY
*CREWS, NORTH V SOUTH, SINGLES AND DOUBLES
*BRING THE REQUIRED MONEY
*GET YOURSELF DOWN EARLY FRI
*IF YOU POSSIBLY NEED HOUSING ON THURSDAY LET ME KNOW
*ITS THE LAST WEEKEND OF EASTER HOLS I BELIEVE, SO IT SHOULD ALL BE GOOD!!

*LET ME KNOW IF YOUR COMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TURN OUT :
------------

SDB
-----
*Kone
*Big Man
*JAM5
*JazzyGeoff
*DSD9
*LK
*SOS
*Olly
*Acid
*The Dean
*Dagi
*Gladam
*Reacher
*SLVR

OH AND THIS IS A RUGH THREAD. OBVIOUSLY USED EDMAS TEMPLATE. APOLOGIES FOR CHRISTMAS REFERNCES. WILL UPDATE BY SUNDAY.
Ed x

J03

Smash Master
put me down of.c, one snag tough...i MAY be in the army, its it currently doubtful that i wont be attending, and i know everyone wants to see the unmighty crab finally get through pools (im feeling it BEBE) so i dont think ill be missing this one

<3 yew

DSD9

Smash Apprentice
Ughhh Ed boy....Your S-D-B turnout doesn't involve Richie, if he doesn't come he's getting serious beats!!!
Good post Ed as usual dude! Jam, Scott,Geoff etc wanna lift? If so just let me know when your ready and free...Usual petrol money etc boys ;)

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
im definitely coming, hm i need to talk to you on msn about when i can come and leave Ed >_<

Just wondering DSD9 where are you from? I dont think it would be right asking for a lift cause your car will prob be packed =P or maybe i could ask R&F for a lift *winkwink*... if not coach tickets again

Sniper123

Smash Cadet
NO! I HAVE SCHOOL THAT WEEK!

i was so looking forward to this :urg:
i was probably gonna go with Darvor and Kman aswell
looks like i wont be making this, that sucks so much, if only it had been the week before, on my easter holiday,

Kone

Smash Master
Id have held it in the holidays except the weekend before is the french tourney that people are going on!! and the week before that the venue is closed for Easter!

Sorry, but thi is the only available weekend to host.

In the end of the day its at a weekend. Come up fri night , stay the night then be round for the saturday. Go gome sat night or sun morning. Wheres the problem?

Yeah ill ad Richy just forogt, theres alot of people!!

x

COEY

Smash Lord
Cool sounds good, Edmas was awesome i'm sure Edster will not dissapoint. Probably will bring my cam again though if i can get a hold of laptop i have a capture card that i would prefer to use. And use the cam just to capture crowd reactions and atmosphere... i dunno though. But will definitely be there. =)

Sniper123

Smash Cadet
i suppose your right Kone, i'll try getting to this now that you've put it like that, i'll try gettin Kman here friday evening so we can go together. Gotta work out timings but i'll probably leave late saturday

Red

Ôuçh!

Smash Cadet
wooo im there i should be free for that weekend.

i can't wait, everyone shall scream Ôuçh.. lol

it should be a good turnout. Edster here i come weeeeeeeeeee.....

Dazza!

Smash Cadet
I would go to this but it's too far, too expensive and too out of my league lol.

btw kone how the hell do you manage to find your house? I google earthed the postcode and your house is like a needle in space. **** the haystack.

Kone

Smash Master
Uhm, i live in the centre of Newcastle, like the 7th largest city in the UK and largest in the North East. Just stick it in multimap. Theres no way my house is hard to find >_>

Also, it wont be expensive to get here. As i say its large, so anyone can get here cheaply with enuff lukn.

DSD9

Smash Apprentice
Charles....i expect my car is gonna be full what with bringing S-D-B members from Rugby, London and Reading plus i don't exactly have a big car(Didn't stop us getting 10 people in it though did it hey?BopBop).But i'll get back to whoever is interested as soon as i find out who's coming with me.....Who's coming man, whos coming.Jam,thank you Jam....Jerry Maguire FTW....

Kone

Smash Master
Dan - id expect your car be full man - jam,olly,scott are coming, then i reckon geoff wont pass over edster. hes working now.

Syntax Error

Smash Cadet
Guess I should look into coach tickets :)

Should be able to turn up unless anything goes sour at my end (shouldn't and bloody well better hadn't.)

ting!

Smash Cadet
im going to do my best to get to this i havent missed a tourney yet since ive started and i dont intend to - where theres a will theres a way! are these the definate dates so that i can book travel asap?

much love ting!
x

Kone

Smash Master
Amy : nice to see your coming. the venue is BOOKED AND CONFIRMED and ive posted the dates! look at first post and the thread title >_>

Basically : you can come down friday 20th and stay till the sunday. halls booked friday evening for crews and north v south. singles n doubles are on the saturday.

DevMBC

Smash Ace
woop woop stu ^^

awesome you got the hall booked ed. I challenge you for the house belt again lol. If you win you can officially reclaim the spoon ;_;

ps - anyone got a 360 and on live? =x
gamertag: DevMBC

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
i got live jam, wanna play halo 2? ;0

garys xbox live tag is... im0neofthem i think

Also street fighter arcade if you paid for that ill challenge you with my ryu

ting!

Smash Cadet
thanks ed ( i was having a blonde moment)
see you soon
much love amy
x

Kone

Smash Master
"Next tourney will be a proving grounds moreso than any other tournament thus far"

- The Doug

That quote alone from the abdicating British no.1 should be enough to make this the largest AND most iimportant UK tournament to date.

DO NOT MISS IT

It will be the FIRST time a British player has ever won a tournament =x

Get your tickets booked
---------------------------

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
hahahahaha

On topic- this tournament is looking beast,alot of matches Im looking forward to playing and watching.

Just remembered most of the first post is from Edmas.You still thinking of using swiss Ed?

ShineOfScott-SOS

Smash Journeyman
i dotn wear slim black jeans and dye my hair anymore =p

haha just jokin chris , its the boards its all for tlking **** =]

yeaa ..i wana play zeppo o.o

and

SHOOT EM UP BANG BANG PROPS TO DA HOOD!!!

Top Bottom