• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Konami's Most Influential Video-Game Mascot: Frogger Leaps into Smash Ultimate?!?! (In Search of New Thread Owner)

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Frogger is a 1981 video game that debuted on arcade machines across the world. The game is highly regarded as a classic from the golden age of video-games, generally praised for its novel gameplay and theme. Frogger debuted in the same year as the impactful arcade classic, Pac-Man. By 2005, the franchise had sold over 20 million units. Frogger has made its way into pop culture, sparking competition within the video game industry. Frogger is one of the biggest icons in video-game history that would fit into Smash Bros. really well. I would love to see Sakurai pull of a creative move-set out of the character, just like what Sakurai did with Pac-Man with his move-set being an amalgamation of classic Pac-Man. An arcade match-up against Frogger vs. Pac-Man would be amazing! If Konami were to get a second or third character, Frogger would be the ideal choice!

Moveset and Playstyle

Neutral-B: Tongue Lash: Frogger quickly whips out his tongue to paralyze the opponent for a very short period of time that allows Frogger to attack freely. The tongue automatically homes at the opponent within its area. Can be rapidly used to paralyze multiple opponents. If abused too much, Frogger tires out and is vulnerable to attack.

Side-B: Thrust Jump: Frogger leans charges for a horizontal spin jump attack. The longer you charge, the greater the distance. When the move is active, Frogger can dodge by pressing the special button, and pressing B again allows Frogger to do a quick, but weak counterattack. If abused too much, Frogger tires out and is vulnerable to attack.

Down-B: Vehicle: Frogger summons a vehicle, avoiding the vehicle by jumping from behind. These vehicles range from powerful to weak: trucks, cars, buses, motorcycles, bicycles. The vehicle chosen is randomized. If Frogger is tired out when using this move, Frogger will end up being hit by the vehicle.

Up-B: High-Jump: Functions similarly Thrust Jump. You can jump a high vertical distance, spin-jump attack, be able to dodge in mid-air, and counter too. The special move does not have the weakness of tiring Frogger out, but if Frogger uses this move while in a tired state from using Neutral-B, the vertical distance travelled will be far lower.

Frogger would basically be an evading master in Smash, staying true to how Frogger plays in the arcade game. He can dodge-roll quickly, side-step quickly, a plethora of moves that help Frogger escape from the most tight situations. When Frogger successfully avoids an attack from an opponent, he is awarded stamina, which recovers his special moves back to its normal state. The weaknesses he would have is his weak attack power, being VERY lightweight, and being able to tire out if Frogger uses his special moves too much. In return, he is a character with masterful mobility. If I could name his play-style, he would be called the "Evasive Martial Artist".

------------

Frogger is not a choice I expect, given the current circumstances with Simon Belmont and Snake seemingly becoming more likely with Vergeben's leaked information. But, I still want it to happen sometime in a future Smash game, or even this Smash Switch's DLC. If you are interested in this frog becoming playable in Smash, let me know and I will add you on the support list.

Support List
1. BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11
2. Llort A. Ton Llort A. Ton
3. FunAtParties FunAtParties
4. MysticKnives MysticKnives
5. One winged Devil One winged Devil
6. Vingag Vingag
7. S SEGAGameBoy
8. Primid Primid
9. Good Guy Giygas Good Guy Giygas
10. AirMac1 AirMac1
11. Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy
12. TheBeastHimself TheBeastHimself

Signatures:

*More signatures coming soon.

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Throw me on that list my dude. Being one of my first games, Frogger is a game that I dont really always have on my mind but the game was a huge deal back in the day. If Konami kept up with Frogger in the media in the modern era like Namco did with Pac Man, we would have a sleeper retro here. I do prefer the clasic design over Frogger with clothes, though. He looks like Banjo's adopted cousin :p

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Nobody can say he hasn’t earned it. Plus the complete the rainbow slogan is kickass and really sold me on it. (Who’d be purple though? NiGHTs? Cloud?)

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I was a supporter for the last couple threads, I'd like to stay a supporter now. If you can find it, I wouldn't mind my moveset being added

Vingag

Smash Apprentice
Yes. 1000x yes. Although I'd rather not use the Frogger model featured above. I'd go with either the arcade classic model (almost like a Mr. Game and Watch type style), the 1998 hasbro game (if Frogger maintains his polygonal shape, I'd also be fine with that), or the character design from the 2011 Frogger 3D Nintendo DS game.
I would also think that the vehicles would be best left for a Final Smash, though maybe the Down B could summon an alligator? Or better yet work with the fly power-ups that have been incorporated in a few Frogger games.
Mostly, I think it's important to keep Frogger as just a frog, and center his moveset around that. I 100% agree that Frogger would be an evasive character and because of that I think he could be a specialized but powerful fighter. I also 100% agree that Frogger probably won't make it in, but hey #Froggerforsmash

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Nobody can say he hasn’t earned it. Plus the complete the rainbow slogan is kickass and really sold me on it. (Who’d be purple though? NiGHTs? Cloud?)
That would be either Mewtwo or if it finally happens Ridley

EDIT: Ridley confirmed so purple for him perhaps?

Last edited:

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
Never played it before. But, I'm planning on getting Frogger 3D for my 3DS. I support!

Oddball

Smash Lord
I'm more interested in the idea of a frogger stage than a frogger character, but I'm not against the guy. He's classic.

Primid

Smash Apprentice
I support this guy being in Smash! I grew up playing the GBA Frogger games, so this guy and those games will always hold a special place in my heart. Seems likes he's largely forgotten in the gaming world as a whole, so it'd be neat to celebrate his gaming history in Smash in some capacity.

Last edited:

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Wow, I didn't realize Frogger had a support thread on here, but I totally support him being in Smash! As strange as this sounds, Frogger games were the only games I had as a kid for the longest time, and man did I play those games to death. Because he was such a huge part of my childhood, I'd love to see him duke it out with all the other gaming legends like in that "Complete the Rainbow" picture. Unfortunately, he's been pretty much absent these days, but I'd argue his original game is still an iconic one. Even though he's not super relevant anymore, I think a lot of people still know who Frogger is (at least I hope so...). His chances are almost nonexistent, but I'll support him til the end of time. I offer up a bangin' tune from "Temple of the Frog" to generate some hype!

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Have you guys seen this recent leak of Lloyd and Heihachi being in Smash Ultimate:

https://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/426683907

After this leak, I have a bit of hope for Frogger. If by chance we get two new Namco characters, perhaps there is the possibility that we could get two new Konami characters as well. I personally think if it happens, we could get Frogger and Simon Belmont as fighters. Excluding the Pro Evolution games, Frogger is the third biggest, globally well-known Konami franchise after Castlevania and Metal Gear. If Sakurai wants to add more internationally known third-party guests like Lloyd, Simon, Heihachi for the project plan, then I could easily see Sakurai pick Frogger for this game. Kind of a rushed theory, but it was something I wanted to mention.

Edit: Turns out it was fake, the Lloyd animations were from a pachinko game. So I guess this theory lays to rest for now.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I plan to buy a few Frogger games today. What games do you guys recommend personally?

I got my eyes on the Gamecube games Ancient Shadow and The Rescue since the gameplay looks decent and it has the modern Frogger design I love the most.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I'd be cool with Frogger as long as he's depicted as a semi-anthropomorphic four-legged frog, like in the PS1 games
. he could be the anti-Little Mac, a character who can only fight well in the air! (through now I think about it, there's probably 100 different bird Pokemon that'd fit that role better...)

Primid

Smash Apprentice
I plan to buy a few Frogger games today. What games do you guys recommend personally?

I got my eyes on the Gamecube games Ancient Shadow and The Rescue since the gameplay looks decent and it has the modern Frogger design I love the most.
If you have a Gameboy Advance, I'd recommend Temple of the Frog, The Lost Wand, and The Forgotten Relic. It's a pretty fun trilogy, though The Lost Wand is probably the best out of the three GBA games.

AirMac1

Smash Journeyman
I support Frogger because I liked his game on the Dreamcast.

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
**** Yeah!!
Someone stated it jokingly and I absolutely love it. I think they ended up loving it too. I like the moveset you created! This would be fantastic!

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I am in full support in Frogger for Smash. I loved him as a kid, and he's just a classic piece of video game history. His role in Smash would be another amazing representation of the classic arcade era. I'd love to see him in!

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
If there is anyone that wants to take over the support thread of this character, please let me know.

I am planning my departure from the speculation scene for good in pursuit of accomplishing my dream job and goal.

I am leaving sometime in late March or early April.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
If there is anyone that wants to take over the support thread of this character, please let me know.

I am planning my departure from the speculation scene for good in pursuit of accomplishing my dream job and goal.

I am leaving sometime in late March or early April.
I'd be totally down to take over the thread in your absence. I wish you luck with your future endeavors!

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Hey, awesome, a Frogger thread! I was worried there wasn’t one. Anywho, I know this seems a bit late compared to when the last post here was made, but count me in as a supporter!

In addition, I’ve made up a moveset for Frogger, based entirely around the 1997 PC/PS1 game (my favorite lol), so there’s that.
0ADA3CBF-7E50-4215-BAE1-0EE69D1B60F6.jpeg

As usual for all my movesets, feel free to use it in the OP if you’d like. Enjoy!

sbhouse12345

Smash Rookie
I have a question, I made a post just like this on this site but it got no replies so I think I messed up on something.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I support Froggers inclusion in Smash if it playable or otherwise, he feels like he's missing especially after Goemon's inclusion as a Mii costume.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I loved playing Frogger as a kid.
Granted, it was a bootleg Flash game, but I loved it.
I support.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I imagine either a quadruped frog as a playable character..
Or a chocobo style Mii hat of a frog..
with frogger theme music..

Top Bottom