• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KO meter & the mechanics behind building (and losing it)

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Taking 100% damage is enough damage taken to fill your meter completely.

Regarding dealing damage, it takes dealing 334% damage to fill your meter completely.

For taking damage, every < indicates about 10%, but at the beginning even taking 1% damage will fill one < bar.

It's difficult to explain so here's a illustration.

<<<<<<<<<<

This one green bar indicates that you've taken 1 to 9% damage toward your goal. Two would indicate you've taken 11-19% toward your goal of a KO punch. Seeing as taking damage fills up the gauge about 3 times faster than dealing damage does, this is a decent guide to being able to tell when you've got a KO punch.

When you have a KO punch stored, you can potentially keep it indefinitely. For a short time after storing a punch, you're unable to lose it, but after this grace period is up, any attack that send you into a tumble animation will cause you to lose the stored KO punch.

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
thanks for replying /tears

Also it's worth noting that attacks that hit shields add to the bar as well. Probably at the same rate as normal.

This might extend to invincibility too, iunno

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
That's super interesting didn't know about shield as well. :o Guessing that pretty much means hitting anything will add to it? :o Super situational, but do you know if hitting things like Greninja's log after his counter adds to it to? I generally go for weird things and if my opponent will let me beat up on Luma or something that's not them for free i'll do it if it gives me meter. :D

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Ok, I was wrong, you can't build meter on anything except non-invincible people and shields.

~And this is why I shouldn't say anything while at work~

Rakurai

Smash Ace
You can't even unstale moves on anything other then players now, either.

Tried using Villager's tree as a punching bag and it didn't accomplish anything.

Nat Goméz

Smash Apprentice
Ok, I was wrong, you can't build meter on anything except non-invincible people and shields.

~And this is why I shouldn't say anything while at work~
Not exactly... i posted it in the video thread, but see this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6INKsSFrhyo

If you go to minute 1:49 he dash atack the tree and one bar is filled, also in 15:45 you can see Mac jabing the tree and one bar goes up, then he fsmash it (without actually hiting villager) and he gains another bar.

Also thanks for this, is really useful to know this infornation :)

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
Great stuff with figuring out how much damage dealing/receiving raises the KO meter! Personally I find myself building ridiculous meter with my smash attacks. I generally land my attacks against tilts, get-up attacks, or aerials and use my super armor to punch through their assault. So obviously I'm raising my KO meter through both damage dealing and receiving. Has to be the best way to raise the KO meter, but it does make you that much easier to just throw off the stage in the long run. Risk/reward.

But yeah when ever I notice I'm one pip away from full red arrows I'll back off and play more passively. I toss out forward tilts a lot because their speed and range makes them exceptionally safe to use. I don't mind landing his, but I'm actually fishing for hits on my opponents shield to raise my meter. I find it the safest way to guarantee I'll get my KO Punch before losing my stock.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Not exactly... i posted it in the video thread, but see this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6INKsSFrhyo

If you go to minute 1:49 he dash atack the tree and one bar is filled, also in 15:45 you can see Mac jabing the tree and one bar goes up, then he fsmash it (without actually hiting villager) and he gains another bar.

Also thanks for this, is really useful to know this infornation :)
maybe the tree is a special case, or maybe training mode is being weird

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
It's worth noting that I believe I have seen building meter on clanked attacks. I recall a case where I clanked with someone's Jab, which canceled my attack, and still maxed out my bar (it was already very close to maxing out, of course, but, still). That's something else worth testing.

Last edited:

Falchy

Smash Rookie
is there possibly a multiplier/a way that the ko meter fills less as it progresses? since it fills faster in the beginning (green) maybe it only fills half as fast or 1/4 as fast at orange or red? idk, just a theory

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Perhaps canceling other moves' hitboxes with yours is what it is. That could explain why the tree only seems to build meter sometimes...?

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
Of course it isn't optimal, but for the topic at hand, I've hit people during their invincibility coming off the angel platform and have gained meter.

Gregory2590

Smash Journeyman
NNID
phireblast
Since we're talking about his KO punch, why not discuss combos leading into it?

So far, dtilt into KO works.(at low %s)

Dthrow into KO APPEARS to work. The only reason I say appears is because I haven't tested this in a real match. If there is an escape window, it has to be pretty small given that I tried this on a level 9. But hey, that's just a CPU.

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
Not a guaranteed setup, but you can condition people into thinking you will go for the full jab and then do jab 1 into it or sometimes if you can them landing or something you can catch someone off guard.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
ok, this ****ED me at a tournament like, yesterday, but KO punch is unshieldable

why is KO punch unshieldable?

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
Can't be countered either lol. You pretty much have to make him lose it through hitting him or baiting a whiff. :p Also i'm sure their reasoning was good on ground bad in the air like for most of his things lol. Not saying it's great reasoning, but it's there.

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
ok, this ****ED me at a tournament like, yesterday, but KO punch is unshieldable

why is KO punch unshieldable?
Haha sorry man, but that's your own fault. I've mentioned it quite a few times myself here in the Little Mac forums.

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
I blame MU inexperience

but now I know

also aerial punch sucks a lot of ****
Haha fair enough. That's definitely the one good thing about playing online a lot. You learn these match up things before running into a tournament.

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
Oh I didn't see this thread. In the new research thread I've worked out that he actually 333% damage dealing to build it, therefore when taking damage Mac builds the meter at exactly 3.33x the rate he builds it from dealing damage.

I also discovered that how much each attack builds the meter depends on its damage. Attacks that do about 1-3% damage like pummels build the meter faster than more powerful attacks like throws and smashes. Therefore, Mac will only get the Punch after dealing exactly 333% if he is using low-damage attacks like pummels. Otherwise, he gets the Punch much later.

This thread says some things that I only discovered yesterday through testing, so I wish I had have read it first. It doesn't really matter though. You can read the new research thread, it has the findings in detail.

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Oh I didn't see this thread. In the new research thread I've worked out that he actually 333% damage dealing to build it, therefore when taking damage Mac builds the meter at exactly 3.33x the rate he builds it from dealing damage.

I also discovered that how much each attack builds the meter depends on its damage. Attacks that do about 1-3% damage like pummels build the meter faster than more powerful attacks like throws and smashes. Therefore, Mac will only get the Punch after dealing exactly 333% if he is using low-damage attacks like pummels. Otherwise, he gets the Punch much later.

This thread says some things that I only discovered yesterday through testing, so I wish I had have read it first. It doesn't really matter though. You can read the new research thread, it has the findings in detail.
I think that it actually ticks over to full power meter at 333.33% which is why it shows up not at 333% when I did it but it does when you did it. (I used Jabs, not pummels)

Edit: I read the post properly, this is an interesting hypothesis, let me test it

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Nope. I just personally deconfirmed this then.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
@ KuroganeHammer KuroganeHammer out of curiosity, how were you able to determine the .33%?
Well, @ GreenFlame GreenFlame seems to be getting it at 333%, and I got it at 334%, this indicates to me that Little Mac's pummels PROBABLY are a non-integer number (so one with a decimal point)

I don't know what that number is though, I have ***** ******** at me atm so I need to do something else first.

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
Except he does

Try it yourself by repeatedly charge up smashing people
Try using mainly down throws and occasionaly any other attack of your choice, and you'll see that it won't be fully charged at 334%. In fact, it will probably be barely half charge if I remember correctly.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I just used an assortment of different moves and I got a charge at 427%

I think that throws count less to the bar than grounded moves do

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
ok using all throws and an accidental pummel, you get a charge at 736% damage dealt.

Nice find @ GreenFlame GreenFlame !
So to be clear, it's throws specifically that build the meter slower, and it is not based on the power of attacks used? All attacks build the meter at the same rate?

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
Pretty much, Except for throws it seems every attack builds it at the 334% rate
Okay, glad we worked that out. I wonder why though. Maybe it's so that if Mac is about to get a full charge, he can't use a throw then immediately have his punch ready and use it on them easily. Because if it builds that slowly from throws, you probably couldn't use a throw to complete the charge.

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
Clashing attacks against projectiles will cause Little Mac to build meter.

Edit: I just realized how old this thread was. My apologies for the thread necromancy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom