• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Knuckles the Echidna: Saviour of Angel Island

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
After looking around I couldn't find a thread for him so I decided to make one

Knuckles Glides into Battle!
Knuckles is a character from the Sonic the Hedgehog series, he made his first appearance in Sonic the Hedgehog 3 way back on the Genesis and has since stuck as a major character in the series up till now with Sonic Boom where Knuckles is one of the main characters, a re branding of the Sonic franchise which includes a TV series, 3 games (Which are exclusive to Nintendo Systems I might add) and well as various Sonic themed merchandise. Knuckles also had his own game "Knuckles Chaotix" for the SEGA 32X. Knuckles generally acts as a friendly rival to Sonic and I feel he would bring something unique to smash with his namesake, his Knuckles which allow Knuckles extreme strength, add in his speed, agility and aerial power which could combine to create a unique fighter for the Smash series.

Now let's take a look at Knuckles appearances in the Smash Bros series:

In Super Smash Bros Brawl he appeared as a Trophy

"A powerful red echidna also known by his full name, Knuckles the Echidna. Knuckles resides on Angel Island, where he guards the Master Emerald. Both friend and rival of Sonic, Knuckles is a martial-arts expert who can break through rocks with his spiked fists. In addition, he can climb walls and use the wind to glide through the air."

as well as making an appearance in the background of the Green Hill Zone stage alongside Miles "Tails" Prower and Silver the Hedgehog

Then in Super Smash Bros 3DS he returns as a background element on the 3DS stage "Green Hill Zone"

and has a Trophy in both the 3DS and Wii U versions of the game

"Knuckles the Echidna is the dedicated guardian of the Master Emerald, rarely leaving his post on the floating Angel Island. His serious, one-track-minded approach puts him at odds with his rival, Sonic, but the two somehow manage to be friends all the same."

Now let's look at why Knuckles deserves to be playable in the Smash Bros Series:
As I already mentioned Knuckles is very prominent in the Sonic Series and offers a large moveset potential from those various appearances so let's quicly go over them.

For starters all the way back in his first playable appearance in "Sonic & Knuckles" on the SEGA Genesis he displays the ability to glide through the air which would offer a unique gameplay mechanic. While it can be argued that other characters could use this technique in Brawl it would be largely different. I propose that Knuckles shouldn't have the ability to gain upwards momentum with it but should be able to cancel his glide with an aerial attack in exchange, this would offer a very unique playstyle to Knuckles.

Other abilities include the ability to dig underground which could also add to this uniqueness. He also shows a multiple of attacks throughout the series which could translate very well into Smash.

He can also take some queues from Sonic the Fighters, an arcade, sonic fighter like Sonic Does. Here he was a playable character as well as in Sonic Battle, a Sonic fighter for the GBA in which he was also playable.

Here's a video showing Knuckles attacks in Sonic Battle:

and for Sonic the Fighters
In addition to this Knuckles is a very prominent characters in the Sonic series with a multitude of appearances which include:

Sonic the Hegdehog 3 (Virtual Console)
Sonic and Knuckles (Virtual Console)
Sonic the Hedgehog: Triple Trouble (Sonic Adventure: DX and Gems Collection)
Sonic Drift 2 (Sonic Adventure: DX and Gems Collection)
Knuckles Chaotix
Sonic Blast
(Sonic Adventure: DX and Gems Collection)

Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic the Fighters
Sonic Jam
Sonic R

Sonic Adventure/:DX
Sonic Pocket Adventure
Sonic Shuffle
Sonic Adventure 2/
:Battle

Sonic Advance
Sonic Advance 2
Sonic Heroes
Sonic Advance 3
Sonic Battle
Shadow the Hedgehog
Sonic Rush

Sonic Rivals
Sonic Riders
Sonic the Hedgehog 2006
Sonic and the Secret Rings (Only playable in multiplayer)
Sonic Rivals 2
Sonic and Mario at the Olympic games
Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity
Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood
Sonic and the Black Knight
Sonic Free Riders
Sonic and SEGA All-Stars Racing
Sonic Colours (DS)
Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games

Sonic Generations
Mario and Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic games
Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed
Sonic Lost World
Mario and Sonic at the 2014 Sochi Olympic Winter Games

Sonic Jump
Sonic Dash

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric
Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal

Sonic Runners

Underlined = Playable
Red = Nintendo Games

Now let's move onto arguments and my counters to them:
"Third parties shouldn't have more than one character to represent them"
It was recently found that sound files for Ryu from the Street Fighter series were found in the game meaning there would be 2 Capcom representatives in the game, I don't see why this couldn't be the same for SEGA who have had a much bigger relationship with Nintendo in recent years

EDIT: Ryu was confirmed and is now a fully playable character

"One 3rd party series shouldn't have 2 reps"
Why not? Who's making up these rules and as I already mentioned SEGA has a stronger relationship with Nintendo, even going as far as SEGA agreeing into a 3-game deal for them in 2013 which includes Sonic Lost World for the 3DS and Wii U, Mario and Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games for the Wii U and finally Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric and Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal for the Nintendo Wii U and 3DS respectively. Furthermore this has continued with the the most recent Sonic games, Mario and Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games for the Wii U and 3DS and Sonic Boom: Fire and Ice for the Nintendo 3DS.
"Tails deserves to be in more than Knuckles"
While it is certainly true that Tails has appeared in more games than Knuckles, I believe Knuckles would offer something more unique to the Smash Bros series and would feel more unique when compared to Sonic than Tails
"Knuckles already appears as a background element on the Green Hill stage"
Toon Link

Last edited:
So in the past 3 weeks weve had a rogue thread an amy thread and now a knuckles thread. Yeesh.

Prefer tails.

But at least you have project m . . .

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
So in the past 3 weeks weve had a rogue thread an amy thread and now a knuckles thread. Yeesh.

Prefer tails.

But at least you have project m . . .
Tails wouldn't be bad although I'd prefer Knuckles of course

And until Project M gets a PAL release which I'm starting to doubt ever happening I'm stuck with Smash 4

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
"Now let's look at why Knuckles deserves to be playable in the Smash Bros Series: "

You did not include that he is: Rougher than the rest of them, the best of them, and tougher than leather.
And unlike Sonic he doesn't chuckle, he'd rather flex his muscles.
He's hard as nails and it ain't hard to tell.

Edit: Or that he has an infinite jump.
Or that Sonic is his sidekick and is actually named Knuckles Jr.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
"Now let's look at why Knuckles deserves to be playable in the Smash Bros Series: "

You did not include that he is: Rougher than the rest of them, the best of them, and tougher than leather.
And unlike Sonic he doesn't chuckle, he'd rather flex his muscles.
He's hard as nails and it ain't hard to tell.

Edit: Or that he has an infinite jump.
Or that Sonic is his sidekick and is actually named Knuckles Jr.
I break them down whether they're solid or frail
Unlike the rest I'm independent since my first breath
First test, feel the right, than the worst's left
Born on an island in the heavens the blood of my ancestors flows inside me

Dammit, that's gonna be stuck in my head for the rest of the day

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Add me to the support list.I think knuckles would fit in more than tails and how many rival characters do we have in the game.Also if he comes we may get more sonic music

SonicMario

Smash Master
Knuckles is up there with Eggman for a good 2nd Choice if Tails for some reason can't make it. Ideally it'd be great for the entire Sonic trio to make it in Smash eventually. But 3rd Party Limits are 3rd Party Limits.

I'll still be rooting my hardest for Tails, but I bare no ill will for those who would like Knuckles more (Unless if anybody is one of those who says Tails can't fight, which I can directly point towards Sonic the Fighters and/or Sonic Battle. Or heck even just the Classic Sonic games given back then Tails could do just about everything Sonic or Knuckles could do in terms of wrecking through Badniks).

Fulsaburgore

Smash Cadet
Heres my moveset from my crappy thread that got taken down because knux already has a thread. Let's face it whenever I want someone in smash and I make a thread. Someone's gonna make it so that way I have to go to someone else's thread due to the fact that they already have a thread for that charecter. So here's my move set for knuckles A moves: His regular A is a punch, his up
A moves: his A is an uppercut, his down A is a downwards punch.
B moves: His regular B is a chargeable super punch (basically a really strong punch and also similar in fashion to sonics smash attacks...kind of...), his side B is a charge attack, his up a is an uppercut that basically works like diddys jetpack but only froward or in a straight line which is challenging for competitive play but okay for a 4 player match with friends, his down B is that move he does in Rise of Lyric that caused the Jump glitch.
Smash attacks: His Foward smash is a small spindash that ends with a glide that's really short, his up smash is the same as sonics but does more damage in return for a bit of knock back if in the air, his down smash is the same as peaches but this time with the master emerald (this is smash brothers remember not sonic so don't complain about the master emerald being used as a throwing object).
Final smash: Knuckles becomes hyper knuckles, like the up smash this does more damage but un like the up smash it lasts shorter.
Taunts: Knuckles up taunt is his laugh from sonic 3 when he steals the emeralds, His down taunt is him chilling like at the begining of sonic and knuckles (his story not sonics, his side taunt is him doing what he did at the title screen of Sonic and Knuckles.
Victory endings: Couldnt think of any maybe I'll come back to this when I finally get some ideas of what they could be.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Heres my moveset from my crappy thread that got taken down because knux already has a thread. Let's face it whenever I want someone in smash and I make a thread. Someone's gonna make it so that way I have to go to someone else's thread due to the fact that they already have a thread for that charecter. So here's my move set for knuckles A moves: His regular A is a punch, his up
A moves: his A is an uppercut, his down A is a downwards punch.
B moves: His regular B is a chargeable super punch (basically a really strong punch and also similar in fashion to sonics smash attacks...kind of...), his side B is a charge attack, his up a is an uppercut that basically works like diddys jetpack but only froward or in a straight line which is challenging for competitive play but okay for a 4 player match with friends, his down B is that move he does in Rise of Lyric that caused the Jump glitch.
Smash attacks: His Foward smash is a small spindash that ends with a glide that's really short, his up smash is the same as sonics but does more damage in return for a bit of knock back if in the air, his down smash is the same as peaches but this time with the master emerald (this is smash brothers remember not sonic so don't complain about the master emerald being used as a throwing object).
Final smash: Knuckles becomes hyper knuckles, like the up smash this does more damage but un like the up smash it lasts shorter.
Taunts: Knuckles up taunt is his laugh from sonic 3 when he steals the emeralds, His down taunt is him chilling like at the begining of sonic and knuckles (his story not sonics, his side taunt is him doing what he did at the title screen of Sonic and Knuckles.
Victory endings: Couldnt think of any maybe I'll come back to this when I finally get some ideas of what they could be.
Speaking of which, I should get around to making a moveset. Yours is pretty cool though!

Definitely approve of this, Knuckles would be my pick for a second Sega character.
Nice to see people actually supporting Knuckles, I honestly was not expecting that.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I came up with a few ideas for a moveset although I've only done specials so far, Thoughts?

Neutral B: Rock Free Fall - Based on the move of the same name from Sonic Battle. Knuckles will pull out a large rock from the ground that is roughly the size of Bowser. The move works somewhat like Peach's down B in that it can be thrown whenever the player feels like it although this will slow him down to about 3/4 of his regular speed. It's a very simple projectile but will do pretty decent damage and knockback although it is fairly slow, after hitting the ground the rock will crumble which will also act as a hitbox like Charizard's down B. He cannot pluck a rock when used in the air.

Side B: Glide Attack - Knuckles will jump forwards with his fists outstretched before falling to the ground, this acts similarly to Peach's side B when used on the ground although it does not bounce off shields making it much less safe. When used in the air or off a platform Knuckles will continue to glide and in the process keeping the hitbox of the move although it is slightly slower. The move can be canceled by using any aerial making it more of a movement option than anything else.

Up B: Spiral Upper - Based on the move of the same name from Sonic Adventure 2. Knuckles will jump upwards as he performs a flaming uppercut, the move works like Meta Knight's Neutral B in that it allows Knuckles to move freely in the air. It also acts as a decent killing move at high percents and gains about the same amount of height as Link's Spin Attack.

Down B: Major Eruption - This move is based on the attack of the same name found in Sonic Battle and actssomewhat similarly to Greninja's side B, he'll dig into the ground allowing him to move around freely for a short period of time before jumping out with an uppercut punch either when the button is released or after a certain amount of time (Approx 5 seconds or so). He moves at a quick pace being faster than on the ground but there is a clear graphic similar to when a character is buried showing his position at all times. The move is a quite predictable and punishable but acts as a great kill move if you can land it. When used in the air he will do the drill dive from Sonic Adventure 2 before digging when he reaches the ground, this can spike but if used offstage will make him unable to recover.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I don't know But i have a feeling that if Knuckles is in PM he is going to be dlc or in smash 5
If anything I think it'd make him even less likely but I don't think it'd be by much anyway.

Also, I forgot this thread existed... my bad. I updated the OP a little in order to be more in line with recent events (Mainly Ryu and the upcoming Sonic games, Fire & Ice and the Rio Olympics) and I'm hoping to have the moveset finished soon.

Last edited:

Drason

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Coke
Knuckles would be a great fit with the smash cast and is one of the most requested, I would love to see him as DLC along with another character for SEGA

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I don't know But i have a feeling that if Knuckles is in PM he is going to be dlc or in smash 5
I highly doubt that Knuckles' confirmation in PM means ANYTHING to Sakurai, Nintendo, or SEGA. If anything, it would lower his chances. (That's funny, because his chances are already absolute zero)

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Personal preference: if there were to be a 2nd Sonic character, I'd prefer Eggman or Blaze.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Personal preference: if there were to be a 2nd Sonic character, I'd prefer Eggman or Blaze.
Blaze is a little too obscure and eggman, while I think he could work, would have to be in some kind of mech which would look awkward in a smash setting in my opinion. I personally think it'd be either Knuckles or Tails

Zoljinx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zoljinx
3DS FC
5343-8245-7441
I was wondering where the Knuckles support thread was...

I support. although i am a little more partial to Tails or maybe a different SEGA character, i feel as though Knuckles would fit better in Smash. plus he could be the only character with a "glide" in smash 4 which would be interesting.

just don't make him Sonic Boom Knuckles... i don't want that...

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I was wondering where the Knuckles support thread was...

I support. although i am a little more partial to Tails or maybe a different SEGA character, i feel as though Knuckles would fit better in Smash. plus he could be the only character with a "glide" in smash 4 which would be interesting.

just don't make him Sonic Boom Knuckles... i don't want that...
But then he'd have infinite jumps...who wouldn't love that???

Last edited:

Zoljinx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zoljinx
3DS FC
5343-8245-7441
he'd be banned in tournament play though cause you'd have to pause the game to do the infinite jumps!

Drason

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Coke
If there was a second SEGA rep I would want Knuckles, Silver, or Tails they just seem most likely to me
But I want Silver the most :smirk:

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I highly doubt that Knuckles' confirmation in PM means ANYTHING to Sakurai, Nintendo, or SEGA. If anything, it would lower his chances. (That's funny, because his chances are already absolute zero)
If anything I think it'd make him even less likely but I don't think it'd be by much anyway.

Also, I forgot this thread existed... my bad. I updated the OP a little in order to be more in line with recent events (Mainly Ryu and the upcoming Sonic games, Fire & Ice and the Rio Olympics) and I'm hoping to have the moveset finished soon.
Well Pm characters (other then ryu) are dlc fro smash 4.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Blaze is a little too obscure
Well that's Sega's fault then. Blaze is just about the only post-genesis character that's generally liked by the older Sonic fans & yet Sega never really capitalized on that.

and eggman, while I think he could work, would have to be in some kind of mech which would look awkward in a smash setting in my opinion.
It works for Bowser Jr. & his doesn't even have legs. I would have Eggman's mech be a cross between his SA2B & Sonic The Fighters designs with both cannons & grappling claws.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Well that's Sega's fault then. Blaze is just about the only post-genesis character that's generally liked by the older Sonic fans & yet Sega never really capitalized on that.
Shadow?? Also they did somewhat, she was prominent in 3 games and then the franchise died leaving only Sonic and Tails for a while.

It works for Bowser Jr. & his doesn't even have legs. I would have Eggman's mech be a cross between his SA2B & Sonic The Fighters designs with both cannons & grappling claws.
I feel like it'd be more awkward considering it doesn't float like the clown car does, it's possible but I think it'd end up looking a little strange

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Shadow?? Also they did somewhat, she was prominent in 3 games and then the franchise died leaving only Sonic and Tails for a while.

I feel like it'd be more awkward considering it doesn't float like the clown car does, it's possible but I think it'd end up looking a little strange
No, Shadow's the poster child for "where it all went wrong" to the genesis fanboys.

Top Bottom