• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Known Differences Between Lucas and Ness

Status
Not open for further replies.

NostalgicX

Smash Rookie
Well basically, the premise behind this thread is to explain how Ness and Lucas differ in terms of their movesets. Hope this clears some things up, even though a lot of it is my own speculation/opinion.
Note: This is only assuming Ness keeps his old moveset

PK Freeze/Flash:
There are obviously differences in animations, but other than that, it is known that Freeze will be easier to control. PK Freeze ..well, it can freeze opponents. Most likely, only when full charged.

PK Fire:
Lucas' moves completely horizontal when airborne, and explodes on contact. Ness' travels at a 45 degree angle downwards when airborne, and steadily burns on contact. Lucas is seemingly a balanced character - it's a nerfed PK Fire IMO.

PK Thunder:
Lucas' is longer; tail-whipping should be easier. Personally, I believe that the dynamics of the actual attack will change for Lucas. Possibly, he falls faster and the actual Thunder moves faster too.

PSI Magnet (PSI Taunt):
PSI Magnet .. the MOTHER taunt. It absorbs projectiles to heal you. Not really all that useful at high level play, except against campers. Lucas' only covers his front, Ness' covers his whole body. My speculation is that Lucas' can absorb certain attacks that Ness' can't, to make up for the nerf. I've only seen it being used as a shorter, more controlled taunt for Ness.

Up-Tilt:
Lucas - Vertical high-kick
Ness - Volleyball bash

Down-Smash:
Lucas - PSI Barrage (Front only) - Very similar to Ness' Fair, but on the ground.
Ness - Walk the Dog Yo-Yo (Can hit from either side)

Front-Smash:
Lucas - He attacks with some sort of branch; very similarly to Ness. Not the greatest picture, but you can see the leaf on the stick.
Ness - Baseball Bat

Dash-A:
Lucas - Seems similar to Ness' PK Shove, but I'm sure it works differently. It seems to be smaller
Ness - PK Shove

Front-Air:
Lucas - In the Pictochat update, you can clearly see Lucas attacking with a front kick.
Ness - A PSI Barrage, there is no attack to compare this to other than Lucas' Down-Smash. If you're moving and you use this, the PSI Barrage travels with you.

Back-Air:
Lucas - Lucas extends both feet backwards for a kick; the Dojo says it's a Meteor Smash, and you can clearly see why in the Pictochat update. At the end of the attack, Lucas curves his body downwards.
Ness - One of Ness' finishers, it's basically a short backwards kick.

Neutral-Air:
Lucas - In the SSE video with Lucas' Front-Smash, you see him attack with something similar to Pikachu's Front-Air.
Ness: He spins and flails his arms around

Throws:
Lucas - He uses Duster's Rope Snake as a grapple, but it is unknown what Lucas' throws are. Can be used as grapple recovery.
Ness - Stubby arms, but powerful throws

Taunts:
Lucas - He holds Rope Snake and it hisses at him.
Ness - Nods his head and says OK

DJ Tempora

Smash Cadet
PK Fire:
Lucas' moves completely horizontal when airborne, and explodes on contact. Ness' travels at a 45 degree angle downwards when airborne, and steadily burns on contact. Lucas is seemingly a balanced character - it's a nerfed PK Fire IMO.
Hah! I like your writeup otherwise, but you must be crazy here. PK Fire looks like it got super buffed. It no longer gets ground-cancelled, comes out much faster, and has the bigger plume of fire.

PKT2 also looks like it got better (amazingly). It's faster, goes farther, and has greatly reduced ending lag.

coldkilla30

Smash Cadet
well the dojo site has an update on ness which seems alot more like an explanation of lucas and ness's differences, specifically his pk thunder.

LonelyBunnyDude

Smash Rookie
is lucas's like Ness's PK Thunder in melee, with the whole controlability aspect? Sorry if its a stupid Q but I dnt know much about lucas...

coldkilla30

Smash Cadet
is lucas's like Ness's PK Thunder in melee, with the whole controlability aspect? Sorry if its a stupid Q but I dnt know much about lucas...
Well Lucas's PK Thunder has a couple of differences.

1. The projectile portion goes through the opponent when it hits.

2. It's longer and slower but since it's slower you can make tighter turns with it meaning you dont need as much room to work it as you do with Ness.

3. After Lucas collides with an opponent he does multiple hits.

clayfighter0

Smash Cadet
YA if you watch some videos of lucas you can deffinantly tell that his PK freeze is so much faster then ness's PK Flash!!! Lucas is going to be a fast and weak combo hitting character and ness is going to be a slow power hitter that knocks his opponents to smitherins!!!

Levitas

the moon
That would be correct, except that we haven't seen enough of Ness's PK flash. So far, his PK flash uncharged shot is faster than lucas's upsmash by a bit...

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
I recently got to play the import version. List of differences? It should be list of similarities:

Has PK Fire, Psi Magnet and PK Thunder. That's about it. They both play so drastically differently that they are DEFIANITLY not clones of each other. Lucas is definitly one of my mains now.

NostalgicX

Smash Rookie
Hah! I like your writeup otherwise, but you must be crazy here. PK Fire looks like it got super buffed. It no longer gets ground-cancelled, comes out much faster, and has the bigger plume of fire.

PKT2 also looks like it got better (amazingly). It's faster, goes farther, and has greatly reduced ending lag.
It just isn't as useful with Lucas for a combo starter. Well anyways..here are my PKT comparisons after playing the import:

Lucas:
PKT moves slower in a tighter axel. Moves through enemies. (No more Thunder-eating opponents while recovering for Lucas)
PKT2 moves faster, but in a seemingly shorter distance.

Ness:
PKT moves fast in a larger axel. Gets eaten by enemies, but that opens up for the return of Reverse PKT2 (shooting it towards the stage in opposite from normal circle) and the PKTBarrier.

The two characters are definitely different and I made this right around the time of when Ness was leaked through the stickers video. Kinda lazy to update the first post. =/

DJ Tempora

Smash Cadet
Shorter, you say? That's interesting. I haven't played it yet, so I'll take your word for it. Thanks for the update.

And yeah, it looks like Lucas' PKT is better for recovery (no thunder eating) but not so great for juggling. To those who have played the import, does PKT juggle at all or just pass cleanly through an opponent? What about tail whips?

Serpit

Smash Journeyman
Vienna, Austria, Europe, Earth, Milky Way
Shorter, you say? That's interesting. I haven't played it yet, so I'll take your word for it. Thanks for the update.

And yeah, it looks like Lucas' PKT is better for recovery (no thunder eating) but not so great for juggling. To those who have played the import, does PKT juggle at all or just pass cleanly through an opponent? What about tail whips?
It does juggle. At higher percents, I actually managed U-Throw to PK Thunder kills. Hitting from the right angle, you can even use it to edgeguard from a safe distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom