• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 Know Your Roots: Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Coincidentally, in the midst of the beginning of this Twitter thing about a possible Brawl throwback made by Sundance, MLG posted (as of this post, an hour ago) an article about Ken called, "Know Your Roots: Ken Gets Carried."

It essentially covers his career from the very beginning to where he is now, including a video of him winning Anaheim 2006 and then promptly being carried around by members of the audience.

http://www.majorleaguegaming.com/news/know-your-roots-ken-gets-carried

Just thought you'd all like to read up.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
interesting.

I don't think ken or PC chris realized how influential their mlg sets were on my life back in 2007. I remember that being the spark to what eventually drove me to competitive smash

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Makes me feel bad for the state of smash now, honestly.

Well...brawl anyways, lol. Dr.peepee da bess doe.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
The Golden Days of Smash. Good read.

Ken is still my favorite Smash legend, and Isai's wacky Falcon was so beast when he turned up the heat.

napZzz

Smash Hero
this is sad

brawl ****ing sucks lol
yes lets comment on a good article about a melee smasher and bash brawl for no reason when its not related

we all know the difference between the communities of then and now, and noone cares to see stupid comments like this

Papero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Paperio
I gotta admire Ken for going beyond the title of King of Smash. He actually has a mind beyond playing video games.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
yes lets comment on a good article about a melee smasher and bash brawl for no reason when its not related

we all know the difference between the communities of then and now, and noone cares to see stupid comments like this
I play Brawl, rofl wtf.

I'm just stating as a community and game Melee > Brawl. You can tell by basically everything posted in this article. Noone gives two ****s about what M2k does.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216

Snapping at him doesn't exactly serve a better purpose. Just cool off please.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
So much trolling in this thread all of a sudden. Yeesh. Don't we have anything better to talk about?
There was no trolling, please don't instigate. I can personally attest to Illmatic's sincerity in his comment. It may not have been a predictable, passive comment as I'm sure is expected in this thread, but it was certainly not a troll attempt.

Again, let's just move it along please. :3

z00ted

All I'm saying is Brawl lacks hype like Melee did.

Chill the frak out everyone.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
^ That much was evident at Pound 4, Pound 5, Genesis, and so on. xD

Let's change the subject Illmatizzle: My first main in Melee was Marth, all because of Ken. First thing I perfected was the chaingrab on the spacies from watching him since he played against them so often.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
brawl vs melee who will win?

my guess is the pac west boards

on a serious note moderation should probably be pretty strict in this thread

z00ted

i'm not even starting anything lol, some of you guys are being immature.

Good read, btw.

Life

Smash Hero
There was no trolling, please don't instigate. I can personally attest to Illmatic's sincerity in his comment. It may not have been a predictable, passive comment as I'm sure is expected in this thread, but it was certainly not a troll attempt.

Again, let's just move it along please. :3
Look at the three posts above my first post and tell me that none of them could at least be construed as trolling. Quote the rules: "Trolling (intentionally instigating trouble or provoking others through outrageous statements) is not permitted." Sincere or not, posting "brawl sucks" (or "melee sucks" for that matter) is exactly that.

But I'm not a mod. So yes, let's move along. If anyone wants to continue this, PM me.

Fun fact: Ken was once mentioned in a Nintendo Power article. Said article was what first got me interested in smashing competitively (although I couldn't really take it anywhere until after Brawl came out and I didn't get an account here until much later).

I also eventually took up Marth in Melee, but it wasn't directly because of Ken, but rather that I liked Roy and wondered what all the Marth hype had been about over the last few years (Brawl was about to come out so I figured practice via Melee). Took me about two matches before I figured it out.

Good article is good.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
I hope my posting of this doesn't start a flame war. Just wanted to give you all something to listen to. :)

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
And we are thankful for it. Thanks for the article/video.

Anyway, I was out of the loop when Pound V was out. Brawl wise, what happened?
I hope it's better than Pound IV.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
I really enjoyed reading this, makes me wish I was around for the Melee days of old.

Gonna go out and buy survivor Gabon haha

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Pierce7d said:
LOL @ no mention of M2k. Disgusting. Censored for MLG much?
I wrote the article. There was no censoring. M2K never won an MLG 1v1 event during Ken's time (unless you look at 2007 underground events I guess), so he was not very relevant here. Nor was he one of Ken's biggest rivals. He could maybe have been mentioned for taking out Isai/Ken at Chicago (but Isai/Ken came back and 6-0'd them IIRC), however omitting that is the same as omitting Taj/Forward win over Ken/Isai or PC Chris/Wes's win over Ken/Isai in NY. Shrug. PC Chris and ChuDat were the #2 and #3 point getters during the 2006 season and were almost always the other two people in the top 3 (except when Azen won), so they got a very minor mention. I forget which order but KDJ/M2K were #4/#5. You don't see any mention of KDJ either.

M2K was/is great and among the best, but 2006 was not the year he was a monster nor was it the year he was considered #1, or ever #2 or #3. Nor was he a rival of Ken at that time period because he failed to consistently take 2nd/3rd/etc and Ken almost always won. Don't confuse M2K's success after Ken more or less stopped playing with being a rival while Ken was in his prime.

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
This was really interesting to read. Really, it made me sad. Me and Marth shed a tier over the loss of Ken (pun intended). He would have made Survivor almost worth watching. I remember reading something a while ago about him beating the physics teacher (can't remember his name) in a puzzle on Survivor. The moral: A good Melee player will always find a way to defy physics.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
This was really interesting to read. Really, it made me sad. Me and Marth shed a tier over the loss of Ken (pun intended). He would have made Survivor almost worth watching. I remember reading something a while ago about him beating the physics teacher (can't remember his name) in a puzzle on Survivor. The moral: A good Melee player will always find a way to defy physics.
No.. a true smasher will find the lessons learned from tournament experience.. the mindset of a champion for example and then use them in RL situations. It works wonders I can tell you that. Once you've proven to yourself you can do anything, there's no more stopping you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom