• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Know Your Moves: Ice Climbers

Smash YouTuber, Relax Alax has released his newest installment in the Know Your Moves series. Seeing how it's winter, @RelaxAlax decided to cover the lovable Ice Climbers. Many fans have been upset with their removal from Smash for Wii U and 3DS. Relax Alax covers the inspiration behind their moveset, comparing it to the original NES classic. The video has been embedded below.

Have an interesting experience with the Ice Climbers? Let us know in the comments below!

PushDustIn wishes the Ice Climbers were in Smash for Wii U/3DS. You can send him your favorite Ice Climber fan art on Twitter.

Last edited:
PushDustin

Comments

I liked the Ice Climbers as a character, but what ruined them was Wobbles and chain grabs. Not saying that was the reason they were removed, but still.

Wobbles and chain grabs = Ice Climbers. The character you liked never existed.
I agree with you. Even with chain grabbing removed, people would have found a broken mechanic.
Melee= wobbling
Brawl= chain grabbing
Sm4sh= puma
2 in 1 characters are always broken

Desynching = Wobbles and chain grabs.
...and a lot of cool other combos, setups, etc. that would still be present if wobbles and chaingrabs were removed.
And this is Smashboards. If you want to talk about casual play, then you're on the wrong website.
What I meant by that was, stuff without advanced techniques like wobbling and chaingrabs (like the neat "keeping your partner alive to have stronger attacks") factor. My apologies if that wasn't clear.
I agree with you. Even with chain grabbing removed, people would have found a broken mechanic.
Melee= wobbling
Brawl= chain grabbing
Sm4sh= puma
2 in 1 characters are always broken
As a counterexample, I'll bring up Rosalina. Yeah, she's one of the best characters in the game, but I'd hardly call her "broken."

(Also, saying that is rather ignorant to the countless methods that could be used to balance the ICs.)

Last edited:
I was over the Bayonetta (no offense to Bayonetta she's awesome) getting in and the final word on any chance that they'd make it back in.....but this, this just brought the sadness back. They were one of my mains. I want the t-shirt though that's awesome.

You just had to continue huh "Many fans have been upset with their removal from Smash for Wii U and 3DS."

In what universe was that a smart or use-able idea? Good, every Smash game doesn't get all the characters, so why Smash-4 become different? It shouldn't and frankly I'm quite impressed with Nintendo not depending so much on the Brawl cast too much (kind of).

Adding newer characters is always the best way (especially Fire Emblem) since this will only show more popularity and overall more people will want to buy more Fire Emblem games merchandise so froth. As goes the same for Bayonetta, Nintendo is doing the right thing (trying to establish a new fan base of game franchises other than Pokemon or Smash games). Keep up the good work Nintendo. Thanks.

You just had to continue huh "Many fans have been upset with their removal from Smash for Wii U and 3DS."

In what universe was that a smart or use-able idea? Good, every Smash game doesn't get all the characters, so why Smash-4 become different? It shouldn't and frankly I'm quite impressed with Nintendo not depending so much on the Brawl cast too much (kind of).

Adding newer characters is always the best way (especially Fire Emblem) since this will only show more popularity and overall more people will want to buy more Fire Emblem games merchandise so froth. As goes the same for Bayonetta, Nintendo is doing the right thing (trying to establish a new fan base of game franchises other than Pokemon or Smash games). Keep up the good work Nintendo. Thanks.
Corrin is/looks hype. All I'm gonna say.

Alas, Ice Climbers... You are still missed in Super Smash Bros. 4. :crying:

1 - Well, to Super Smash Bros. Melee's credit, it was the first and only Super Smash Bros. installment that didn't cut characters, bringing back every single veteran available at the time of the game's release. I personally feel that all future installments of Super Smash Bros. should aim to bring back as many past/veteran characters as possible (removing content should be a videogame's last resort, and only if something is utterly unwanted/unnecessary/unneeded), especially characters that possess unique movesets (such as Solid Snake and Ice Climbers). The only scenario where I feel cuts are justified are in cases of redundancy (such as Pikachu and Toon Link essentially fulfilling the roles of Pichu and Young Link, respectively), although I don't mind retaining unique aspects of cut redundant characters (such as Pichu's blue swimming goggles or Young Link's milk taunt). And anyway, I don't feel like there's anything to gain by completely removing the Ice Climbers universe; they seemed unique and were accompanied by nice music and (debatably) nice stages, too.

2 - Simply "adding newer characters" isn't necessarily the best route. If all Super Smash Bros. games followed that practice, then we would never have classic/retro characters like Mr. Game and Watch, Ice Climbers, R.O.B. (Robotic Operating Buddy), Duck Hunt Dog, and Pac-Man, all of whom have their hey-days predating the release of Super Smash Bros. 64. I don't mind new/"recent" characters getting added to Super Smash Bros., but they had better be relevant and deserving of their "slot"/development time for reasons other than "NEW!".

Last edited:
...and a lot of cool other combos, setups, etc. that would still be present if wobbles and chaingrabs were removed.

What I meant by that was, stuff without advanced techniques like wobbling and chaingrabs (like the neat "keeping your partner alive to have stronger attacks") factor. My apologies if that wasn't clear.

As a counterexample, I'll bring up Rosalina. Yeah, she's one of the best characters in the game, but I'd hardly call her "broken."

(Also, saying that is rather ignorant to the countless methods that could be used to balance the ICs.)
Luma knockback is ridiculous. There's videos of her killing so early.

D
Desynching = Wobbles and chain grabs.

And this is Smashboards. If you want to talk about casual play, then you're on the wrong website.
First of all, people are allowed to talk about casual aspects of the game on Smashboards, so get your elitist attitude out of here.

Second of all, it is entirely possible to have desynching without chain grabs. It could be solved with something as simple as removing the second Ice Climber's ability to grab altogether.

Third of all, nobody likes your snotty, obnoxious attitude, especially when you have no idea what you're talking about.

In what universe was that a smart or use-able idea?
In a universe where making older fans of the game happy is just as important as drawing in newer fans. You do realize that it is not necessary to cut old characters just because you want to see new characters join the roster, right? It is possible to have both.

The Ice Climbers were an unfortunate case due to the limitations of the 3DS, but for a character like Wolf there was no reason the cut him. The fact that they brought back Lucas, Roy, and Mewtwo as DLC proves that veteran fans do not want their favorite characters cut and that it is possible to keep everybody around if the developers put their minds to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, people are allowed to talk about casual aspects of the game on Smashboards, so get your elitist attitude out of here.

Second of all, it is entirely possible to have desynching without chain grabs. It could be solved with something as simple as removing the second Ice Climber's ability to grab altogether.

Third of all, nobody likes your snotty, obnoxious attitude, especially when you have no idea what you're talking about.

In a universe where making older fans of the game happy is just as important as drawing in newer fans. You do realize that it is not necessary to cut old characters just because you want to see new characters join the roster, right? It is entirely possible to have both.

The Ice Climbers were an unfortunate case due to the limitations of the 3DS, but for a character like Wolf there was no reason the cut him. The fact that they brought back Lucas, Roy, and Mewtwo as DLC proves that veteran fans do not want their favorite characters cut and that it is possible to keep everybody around if the developers put their minds to it.
Blizzwobbling and wobbling do not require the second climber to grab, while they are not chaingrab they are infinites and in the end, basically the same thing.

Last edited:
D
Wobbling (and I'd imagine blizzwobbling) were also fixed in Brawl.
Exactly. The issues with the Ice Climbers in the past were due to oversights of the game developers. This idea some people have that Smash is better without the Ice Climbers because it is impossible to have them in the game without any infinites/chain grabs is both ridiculous and false.

Last edited by a moderator:
Corrin is/looks hype. All I'm gonna say.
No, you need to understand that when a game changes pretty much everything towards the overall game mechanical structure. So, they need to add new characters
Alas, Ice Climbers... You are still missed in Super Smash Bros. 4. :crying:

1 - Well, to Super Smash Bros. Melee's credit, it was the first and only Super Smash Bros. installment that didn't cut characters, bringing back every single veteran available at the time of the game's release. I personally feel that all future installments of Super Smash Bros. should aim to bring back as many past/veteran characters as possible (removing content should be a videogame's last resort, and only if something is utterly unwanted/unnecessary/unneeded), especially characters that possess unique movesets (such as Solid Snake and Ice Climbers). The only scenario where I feel cuts are justified are in cases of redundancy (such as Pikachu and Toon Link essentially fulfilling the roles of Pichu and Young Link, respectively), although I don't mind retaining unique aspects of cut redundant characters (such as Pichu's blue swimming goggles or Young Link's milk taunt). And anyway, I don't feel like there's anything to gain by completely removing the Ice Climbers universe; they seemed unique and were accompanied by nice music and (debatably) nice stages, too.

2 - Simply "adding newer characters" isn't necessarily the best route. If all Super Smash Bros. games followed that practice, then we would never have classic/retro characters like Mr. Game and Watch, Ice Climbers, R.O.B. (Robotic Operating Buddy), Duck Hunt Dog, and Pac-Man, all of whom have their hey-days predating the release of Super Smash Bros. 64. I don't mind new/"recent" characters getting added to Super Smash Bros., but they had better be relevant and deserving of their "slot"/development time for reasons other than "NEW!".
No, when a new Smash game is made Nintendo needs to cut characters from the other Smash game other wise the game will just become a repetitive recycled game over and over again.

Remember that this is Smash so this is Nintendo's opportunity to reveal characters that aren't really that much popular (I bet Fire Emblem is more popular than before). And to make my long detailed post short (because this conversation won't lead anywhere) Melee is the second Smash game (so I know Nintendo would add the ten characters in total Smash-64 and add new characters in Melee common sense).

Ice Climbers are not made to be a game like that no way (there would be whining about nerf Nana or whatever) and so Nintendo was smart to leave those characters out (keep some authenticity in Brawl). Also you'll still play the game whether you're upset or not so what did Nintendo lose, nothing. So why complain welcome to life where nothing is handed down by just being a young indivdual. Thanks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom