• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Knight Artorias: Ascends from the Abyss (Artorias for SSBU)

Robdelia

Smash Apprentice
I've been thinking a bit about how Artorias could work, because I've always believed that a Dark Souls boss is the best pick for a fighter over the Chosen Undead/Solaire. The best idea I came up with is down below:
Savagery Gauge
Artorias has a resource gauge like Joker, Cloud, and Robin called the savagery gauge. The more he has on his savagery gauge, the better his frame data is. All of his moves are faster, basically. But the inverse is also true, in that the less savagery he has then the slower his attacks are. Savagery starts at the halfway mark at the start of a match or when Artorias respawns. A visual indicator could be that the more savagery he has, the more dark energy is swirling around him. Savagery is gained by landing hits on opponents but is lost quickly over time or when he gets hit. Like how when Joker gets hit when Arsene is out, more time is shaved off how long Arsene can be out. This means that Artorias basically has to play aggressively to survive, similar to the playstyles that the Dark Souls series has been wanting the players to have ever since Bloodborne. But he also gets punished hard for mistakes because his entire moveset slows down.
So on one hand, Artorias is playing like a Dark Souls/Bloodborne character in Smash. Very rewarding playstyle that rewards aggressive behavior and getting right in your opponent's face, but can be punished very, very hard if their opponent gets a good read. But on the other hand, whoever Artorias is fighting would feel like they're fighting a Dark Souls boss in Smash; barely surviving a storm of attacks and desperately looking for any weakness or whiff to exploit.

Last edited:

Venclaire

Smash Apprentice
I was just thinking about Artorias as well. Every DLC newfighter showed us new mechanics we didn't think would be a thing ever (Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta, Corrin, Joker)

Now, remember how you can go one handed or two handed with a weapon in Dark Souls? I just had the realization that, if Artorias does get in, we might get a moveset based around that. Assuming they don't go with the broken arm, of course. Having two movesets that he could switch on the fly might be a little much, but that'd be amazing. A true greatshield and greatsword character, and next minute he is a mean two handed monster.

It might just be animation based, but I think it'd be sick if he could switch with neutral b.

Last edited:

1.21 Jiggawatts

Smash Cadet
I've been thinking a bit about how Artorias could work, because I've always believed that a Dark Souls boss is the best pick for a fighter over the Chosen Undead/Solaire. The best idea I came up with is down below:
Savagery Gauge
Artorias has a resource gauge like Joker, Cloud, and Robin called the savagery gauge. The more he has on his savagery gauge, the better his frame data is. All of his moves are faster, basically. But the inverse is also true, in that the less savagery he has then the slower his attacks are. Savagery starts at the halfway mark at the start of a match or when Artorias respawns. A visual indicator could be that the more savagery he has, the more dark energy is swirling around him. Savagery is gained by landing hits on opponents but is lost quickly over time or when he gets hit. Like how when Joker gets hit when Arsene is out, more time is shaved off how long Arsene can be out. This means that Artorias basically has to play aggressively to survive, similar to the playstyles that the Dark Souls series has been wanting the players to have ever since Bloodborne. But he also gets punished hard for mistakes because his entire moveset slows down.
So on one hand, Artorias is playing like a Dark Souls/Bloodborne character in Smash. Very rewarding playstyle that rewards aggressive behavior and getting right in your opponent's face, but can be punished very, very hard if their opponent gets a good read. But on the other hand, whoever Artorias is fighting would feel like they're fighting a Dark Souls boss in Smash; barely surviving a storm of attacks and desperately looking for any weakness or whiff to exploit.
I guess I am going to stay on the respawn platform as long as possible

1.21 Jiggawatts

Smash Cadet
I think having a "super form" like Joker works, since you are not entirely depended on it. The gimmick needs to be changed to a stat boost after attacking. This prevents players from running away until he is too weak, but still promotes Artorias to rush people.

Cruelcumber

Smash Cadet
I was just thinking about Artorias as well. Every DLC newfighter showed us new mechanics we didn't think would be a thing ever (Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta, Corrin, Joker)

Now, remember how you can go one handed or two handed with a weapon in Dark Souls? I just had the realization that, if Artorias does get in, we might get a moveset based around that. Assuming they don't go with the broken arm, of course. Having two movesets that he could switch on the fly might be a little much, but that'd be amazing. A true greatshield and greatsword character, and next minute he is a mean two handed monster.

It might just be animation based, but I think it'd be sick if he could switch with neutral b.
Honestly I like this a lot because in the Souls series while sticking to a certain weapon is good, there's so many weapons and styles to pick from that including more in a kit for any Souls character is essential. Plus we don't really have any solid shield use in Smash yet. All of the Link's only passively use their shield while idle, although at least Palutena uses her shield for her dash attack, back aerial, and down special. A character who could go full offense or full defense offers some nice mix-up, and the more depth a character has, the better well-received they are in the long run.

Also because I altered the font in the opening post, I can't get people's avatars to show up when I put them in the support list, along with colors now. I'm still new to using Smashboards, so any advice on how to remedy this?

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I don't think Artorias needs any sort of special gauges or gimmicks or anything to be really unique; being a one-handed fighter already sets him well apart from the rest of the crowd.

1.21 Jiggawatts

Smash Cadet
Honestly, I don't think Artorias needs any sort of special gauges or gimmicks or anything to be really unique; being a one-handed fighter already sets him well apart from the rest of the crowd.
I agree, but no matter what, they need to make him feel like a boss

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
I know the Google theory is basically dead and stuff, but it made me realize that I really would like to see Artorias get into Smash. Dark Souls is a great game, and Artorias is probably my favorite boss and overall character in the series next to Solaire. I'd say he's not a very likely character, but if there is a Dark Souls rep, he's definitely up at the top imo.

Also, could I be put on the supporters list please?

ThegreatGrrr

Smash Rookie
Yo count me in as a supporter!

Now my question is what will be his Victory animations, taunts, and reveal trailer?

Last edited:

Cruelcumber

Smash Cadet
Added you guys to the support list, sorry for taking awhile on that. E3 is just around the corner and we'll be getting at least another DLC fighter then, hoping that Artorias will show up at some point down the road.

Also it is nice to see that Sif at least made it into Gen 8 Pokemon as a boxart legendary.

https://twitter.com/DarkSoulsGame/status/1136273998290067456?s=19

Actually Dark Souls approved lol.

Last edited:

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Regardless of the google theory or not, I fully support Artorias being in smash!
Here’s an image I just put together detailing his specials and other attributes. I was even able to make room in his moveset for the possibility of the Soul of Cinder as an echo fighter of his, not that I really think it’ll happen. It’d be cool none the less!
63E85EF0-ADCC-4090-B9E6-7C9898A36A4C.jpeg

Feel free to use this in the OP if you’d like!

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Here's a neat thing I found. But I'm sure the tagline would be something different than this.

EDIT: It won't show up unless you quote.

I also solved the item issue.
Have the item held replace his sword.
For any attacks that aren't Jab, Ftilt, or FSmash that use the sword, the sword appears while the item disappears until he's back in idle stance.
This makes the most sense, considering other swordies already in the game do this.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Regardless of the google theory or not, I fully support Artorias being in smash!
Here’s an image I just put together detailing his specials and other attributes. I was even able to make room in his moveset for the possibility of the Soul of Cinder as an echo fighter of his, not that I really think it’ll happen. It’d be cool none the less!
View attachment 229751
Feel free to use this in the OP if you’d like!
In the Doom Slayer thread, we largely believe that Artorias was a glitch in the theory rather than part of the theory.
It seems most likely that because Artorias was so synonymous with DLC, Google's algorithm automatically associated Artorias with DLC. Searching the names of other DLC packs bore the same results.
"Hero" was never considered as a name, as it was always assumed he would go under the name of "Erdrick", so his inclusion did not disconfirm the Google Theory. This fact alone made Google Theory extremely plausible to the point where after rewatching all of PapaGenos's videos on the subject, I give it about a 90% chance of being accurate, the same chance I gave Erdrick(Hero)'s inclusion.
Until Vergeben speaks, I stick by Google Theory.
EDIT: To clarify, the reason I give Google Theory 90% credibility is because neither Google nor Nintendo would go so far to kill off a fake leak, and those that claimed that this is easy enough to be a trolling situation have been unable to replicate the Google Theory for other characters.

Last edited:

Kronch

Smash Cadet
For the record, I still think Artorias would be RIDICULOUSLY HYPE. I know he's really unlikely, but still... I need this absolute unit in Smash.

Glacifire

Smash Rookie
Hey Guys! I think Artorias would be amazing and unique! I know E3 pretty much disconfirmed the google theory, but I still think he's likely! He's my most wanted character now that Banjo is released! There's another leak that supports his inclusion and it states that he would be the last DLC character since he would break the archetype of the protagonist having to be added before the antagonist, so there's still hope! I'm not giving up on him until Smash Ultimate's DLC is officially confirmed to be over! Also add me as a supporter!

Last edited:

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
whelp, I'm back again. I've brought with me an updated version of Artorias' moveset, based on the first one I posted a while ago. It's been expanded upon and updated in ways I thought it needed.

Artorias Moveset 2.jpg

Here's a link to it on Flickr, since Smashboards compresses this image too much to be legible: https://www.flickr.com/photos/184893183@N07/48883248236/in/dateposted-public/

As usual, feel free to use it in OP if you'd like!

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I would love a Dark Souls character. Plus having a boss would make him stand out immediatley.

Top Bottom