• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Knight Artorias: Ascends from the Abyss (Artorias for SSBU)

Cruelcumber

Smash Cadet
"Thou shalt see further on, an Abyss was begat of the ancient beast, and threatens to swallow the whole of Oolacile. Knight Artorias came to stop this, but such a hero has nary a murmur of Dark. Without doubt he will be swallowed by the Abyss, overcome by its utter blackness... Indeed, the Abyss may be unstoppable..."Elizabeth

Artorias

I'm sure there's a sizable amount of you lot who want some Dark Souls representation in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. The series at least has its first installment as a port on the Switch, which means Dark Souls does fulfill the "is on a Nintendo console" requirement. While a protagonist like the Chosen Undead, Bearer of the Curse, or Ashen One might make more sense since Smash typically showcases a series protagonist, a boss character would be a definite first, which is fitting for Dark Souls since their bosses are well-known for their difficultly and unique fighting methods. This thread is made in response to the recent Google Ads leak that's been going around lately, and while it's not 100% confirmed yet, it's still interesting for the data and speculation it's brought us.

Additional Music
Credit to SorrowOfAcheron SorrowOfAcheron for coming up with this list of additional tracks a Dark Souls rep could have besides Artorias' main theme that was posted above.
Ornstein & Smough
Great Grey Wolf Sif
Firelink Shrine
Velstadt, The Royal Aegis
Sir Alonne
Abyss Watchers
Twin Princes, Lorian & Lothric
Soul of Cinder
Slave Knight Gael

Moveset Potential
As everyone here should know by now, everyone can have a moveset made for them, and Artorias is no exception. Thankfully, he already has plenty of aerials and smash attacks in his own game, such as his Somersault Slam and Overhand Smash. Of course, Artorias would be yet another swordie, and one with a long disjoint at that. Although Smash doesn't really have a knight-themed swordie yet surprisingly. Some swordies like Shulk fill in that JRPG swordsman niche, the Fire Emblem cast being more akain to mercenaries, Meta Knight revolves around an air-game and is based more off the sword power-up from the Kirby series, etc. Artorias is a rather large character however, and might be able to fulfill the role as the first potential superheavy swordie, a role that Ganondorf only vaguely fills at the moment.

A video of his boss fight from Dark Souls is awaiting permission to put in since the series does contain blood, and I'm unsure if that meets Smashboard community guidelines to put here or not. Not that it's hard to just search on YouTube.

Also anyone with movesets for Artorias will have them posted here on this thread.

Potential Classic Mode
So far ideas include associating Wolf with him, having Artorias fight other swordies/knight-like characters in SSBU, and even having his final boss at the end be someone like Rathalos or Ganon, as suggested by GoldenYuiitusin.

Last edited:

Kronch

Smash Cadet
I completely support this character!

1) Gives Bandai Namco another rep.
2) Helps Ninty's relationship to the Dark Souls series.
3) Is generally a badass swordie, and a superheavy sword character sounds extremely cool.
4) He's a creative representative from a popular franchise.

What's not to love?

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
He'd be dope. Imagine having the charged jump slam he does as a kind of guided Bowser Bomb; edgeguarding with it would be hype.
Side special could be the somersault slashes, where using them on the ground would allow you to chain them, and maybe have them increase in power if you chain them. Using it in the air could get you some horizontal distance and a bounce from an enemy if it hits.

Definitely a lot of potential there.

For music, I would like (apart from Artorias' theme):
Ornstein & Smough
Great Grey Wolf Sif
Firelink Shrine
Velstadt, The Royal Aegis
Sir Alonne
Abyss Watchers
Twin Princes, Lorian & Lothric
Soul of Cinder
Slave Knight Gael

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
Dude, sign me up and plug me in. I'll always be hopeful for Dark Souls content, especially of it being one of the best bosses from DS1. Can't wait to do that awful somersault move in Smash, finally.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I know this comes from that (most likely fake) Google Ad leak thing, though, I like Artorias, he's my favorite character in the Dark Souls series, so I obviously support.
He's one of the few exceptions, since I usually dislike third parties.

I think Sif should appear in his final smash

Cruelcumber

Smash Cadet
Thanks to the support so far guys. Debating on creating a Discord chat for this character too. Even if Artorias ends up being deconfirmed later on down the road, I think that the potential of any Dark Souls representation is fantastic for Smash Bros, especially since it's known that Sakurai enjoys games like Bloodborne. Still, only time shall tell. E3 is only a month away, and we're bound to get a DLC rep showcased then.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
I needed a replacement for my list of wanted characters after I realized that we probably won't get a Mortal Kombat rep (it'd make no sense to promote a franchise that's been banned in Japan for a couple decades). Looks like Autorias is the one if only because the suggestion is oddly specific for the rumor mill and because the guy sounds badass.

D

Deleted member

Quick question.

How would they get around Artorias basically having only one arm to work with?
In terms of items, grabs, ledge grabs, etc.; things that the sword arm can't be used for.

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
Quick question.

How would they get around Artorias basically having only one arm to work with?
In terms of items, grabs, ledge grabs, etc.; things that the sword arm can't be used for.
Simple, either get him before his arm is broken to represent his more golden age (thus allowing for his shield to also have some usage even if the one handed greatsword form is the most iconic) or we can take it straight out of his intro cutscene and have his "grab" be a stab through the chest that he's able to throw them out of.

Also add me to that list, there's a very good reason I have this
This.PNG

Venclaire

Smash Apprentice
****ing hell. Love every Dark Souls game to a tee. If you put Artorias in I can't main anyone else EXCEPT him.

EDIT: op you just made me disappointed by every dlc release, future, present, and past. if artorias gets into the game i never realized how truly happy i'd be

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Simple, either get him before his arm is broken to represent his more golden age (thus allowing for his shield to also have some usage even if the one handed greatsword form is the most iconic) or we can take it straight out of his intro cutscene and have his "grab" be a stab through the chest that he's able to throw them out of.

Also add me to that list, there's a very good reason I have this
View attachment 219068
And stab the items and stab the ledges?

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
And stab the items and stab the ledges?
With ledge grab he could be held up by the sword, like the tip is on top and he's using the strength from his left hand to hoist himself up. Got me on the items though I'll admit. Still I find the idea of Artorias stabbing a beam sword and then swinging his sword around like that really funny, and would certainly add to some of the more humorous aspects of the game like the community just in general and the ragdolls.

D

Deleted member

With ledge grab he could be held up by the sword, like the tip is on top and he's using the strength from his left hand to hoist himself up. Got me on the items though I'll admit. Still I find the idea of Artorias stabbing a beam sword and then swinging his sword around like that really funny, and would certainly add to some of the more humorous aspects of the game like the community just in general and the ragdolls.
Like, I'm not opposed to Artorias at all. In fact, the "leak" actually got me interested in him.
I'm just wondering from a design standpoint how someone with a useless arm and the only good arm holding a weapon would work.

Also, ledges should be fine. Just checked Link and he uses his sword hand to hold the ledge.

I don't know if it would be the best solution, but he could potentially hold some items with his limp arm and throw them with his good arm. It wouldn't be the most true to a completely useless arm, but it would still suggest that it's not good for much.

Weapon items could potentially replace the sword, too. I believe old smash games did that with sword characters. It might depend on whether Artorias has a way to sheath his sword in any capacity other than resting it on top of his back.

SargeAbernathy

Smash Apprentice
Throwing my support here, as I love dark horse surprise characters. I've doubts about Google Theory, but I certainly like the proposed characters. Artorias sounds fun. I've never played the games, but the gameplay looks menacing and frightful.

Venclaire

Smash Apprentice
Just realized, it's way more likely that if Artorias is in the game, he'd a boss, wouldn't he?

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Even though I believe the google leak is fake, I do like Artorias and I would love to see him in Smash. He's the coolest dark Souls character imo

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
Artorius seems like a really cool character (in terms of both design, backstory, and abilities), and Dark Souls has really always been about its difficulty (especially its bosses)! I support!

EDIT: Also, in terms of moveset, I think they could also easily differentiate him from the rest of the swordsmen by incorporating his wild, almost acrobatic leaps and slashes as well as his darkness effects. (That one attack he has where he throws sludge behind him in an arc in particular would be a good Side Special, for instance.)

Make him deceptively slow when it comes to walking/running, but have his attacks provide the forward momentum necessary to allow him to traverse the battlefield quickly and overwhelm the opponent. Just make sure you don't miss, or your opponent gets an opportunity to strike back. That'd be a really unique playstyle that's not present at all in Smash currently, and it'd emulate the style of Dark Souls fights perfectly.

Last edited:

Cruelcumber

Smash Cadet
We've hit over ten supporters, nice job guys! Also I'm liking the moveset and play-style ideas for Artorias so far. On one hand keeping him as a one-armed swordsman is more faithful to his original boss fight in the games. But on the other, him having access to a great shield, or maybe even having access to Great Grey Wolf Sif as well would help expand his options, showing that for Smash Bros he'd have to be at full-power. Regardless, I'm interested to see just what the future holds for Ultimate's DLC, and if Dark Souls gets representation or not.

Also, daily reminder that Sakurai prefers Dark Souls II over the first installment:

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
You know, Joker was detailed alongside Stage Builder. If they were to announce a Dark Souls character alongside a Boss Rush mode, that'd make a lot of sense...

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
You know, Joker was detailed alongside Stage Builder. If they were to announce a Dark Souls character alongside a Boss Rush mode, that'd make a lot of sense...
>Boss Rush mode
That.... is actually quite fitting.

Also add me to the supporter list, I support the inclusion of Artorias.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Honestly, this is the character I've had the most interest in on that list so I guess I'll be a supporter

Venclaire

Smash Apprentice
Might as well put me on the support list at this point.

I'm going all in on predicting Artorias for E3 based on an older "leak" with him back in February.
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/451188924/#q451188924
Reminds me, there was another leak where someone detailed Artorias and Doom Slayer, then deconfirmed that Edrick was in the game. It was, of course, another 4chan leak, but I think it was maybe a day or three before the ad theory?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I always find funny when rumors result in a new support thread. Regarding the rumor: it is very plausible and I think Artorias of all Dark Souls characters is a very Sakurai thing to do. Probably his favorite boss or something. Either way, I've always supported Dark Souls I Smash so I'm cool to be a supporter here too.

D

Deleted member

Reminds me, there was another leak where someone detailed Artorias and Doom Slayer, then deconfirmed that Edrick was in the game. It was, of course, another 4chan leak, but I think it was maybe a day or three before the ad theory?
Wait, really?

Interesting....

Venclaire

Smash Apprentice
Whoops, meant to include that he said Artorias would also be the second character to be revealed. So, we'll know what happens by E3 I hope!

please artorias please be in the game

D

Deleted member

Whoops, meant to include that he said Artorias would also be the second character to be revealed. So, we'll know what happens by E3 I hope!

please artorias please be in the game
If there is some way to find this old post, that'd be great.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I figured I might quote a post I made earlier, since it explains why I believe a Dark Souls character is more likely than we think.

It's three main points really:

1) Bandai Namco has worked on the development of Smash and they haven't gotten any new reps in this game, and none of the mii costumes are back. If the costume theory is anything to go by then this means we'll get a Bandai Namco character that will also bring back the lost mii costumes of Smash 4. Dark Souls is owned by Bandai Namco which makes it eligible as a possible rep.

2) Dark Souls is a very influential and popular series that rocked the gaming industry during this decade. If Joker is a standard for anything, then we are getting third party characters that are quite popular and important for this decade. Reggie has already said that Joker was emblematic for how Nintendo is tackling the Fighters Pass. Once again Dark Souls fits this point quite well.

3) Nintendo's quote about them attempting to reach new audiences.
I'm specifically talking about this point:

With Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, we asked 'How could we reach not only fans of the Super Smash Bros. series, but also those who had never played it before?' If you look at the demographics of the consumers who purchased each of these titles, Iʼm not convinced weʼve completely overcome these challenges yet. So our aims are to keep working on them this year, to expand sales of these titles to new consumer demographics, and to keep selling these games for a long time, which is one of our strengths."
Once again this point fits so well with Dark Souls. As it is video game series that has a community that is mostly on Playstation and PC. If Nintendo is attempting to target new audiences then Dark Souls is an eligible target.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Ay, I like Dark Souls (And BB and Sekiro)
I like Artorias
I guess I support, then.

Cruelcumber

Smash Cadet
Added more supporters to the list.

Also tomorrow we're getting a Super Mario Maker 2 direct as shown here:
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1128298921871249413?s=19

I wouldn't count on getting a DLC character revealed during this fifteen minute presentation, but it might show off some updated amiibo compatibility for the game, so stuff like a K. Rool, Piranha Plant, Ken, etc amiibos could work, but also the possibility of stuff like Shovel Knight and Solarie amiibos as well. Also who knows if datamining SMM2 will show off any potential DLC characters that Smash could have later on, but seeing as how Nintendo have learned from their mistakes, I wouldn't think this would happen.

Wunderwaft Wunderwaft makes a good argument as to why Dark Souls representation could happen. Currently only the first installment of Dark Souls is on the Switch, although I could easily see the second game getting ported over to the console as well. I'm not sure if the Switch could handle Dark Souls III without the game getting downgraded, although I'd like to be wrong about this. I also heard from article translations done by PushDustin about how Sakurai has played Sekiro recently (and in the same article Sakurai mentioned how he dislikes not being able to say what games he plays without everyone speculating about Smash), not that I can see that game getting ported over to the Switch either unless downgraded hard.

Still, FromSoftware getting representation in Smash Bros could easily see more titles getting ported/published on the Switch. Only a handful of their titles have ever been on Nintendo consoles, such as Lost Kingdoms I & II for the GameCube, Nanpure VOW, Iraroji VOW, Inugamike no Ichizoku, and Yatsu Hakamura for the DS, Monster Hunter Diary Poka Poka Airou Village for the 3DS (also Japan only), and the recent Dark Souls port to the Switch. Then again, Miyazaki at the moment has no plans to continue the Souls series with sequels or spin-offs, although titles like Bloodborne and Sekiro are similar to the Souls games. So who knows what's in store for the future of the Dark Souls series and if its inclusion in Smash Bros would see future titles. Only time will tell.

Glacifire

Smash Rookie
I totally support Artorias being in Smash! Make it happen Nintendo! Add me to the supporter list.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
I wouldn't count on getting a DLC character revealed during this fifteen minute presentation, but it might show off some updated amiibo compatibility for the game, so stuff like a K. Rool, Piranha Plant, Ken, etc amiibos could work, but also the possibility of stuff like Shovel Knight and Solarie amiibos as well. Also who knows if datamining SMM2 will show off any potential DLC characters that Smash could have later on, but seeing as how Nintendo have learned from their mistakes, I wouldn't think this would happen.
Considering how Mario Maker 1 didn't even try to include most of the DLC characters as costumes, I wouldn't count on it.

D

Deleted member

BillybobK or whoever made a video saying Artorias won't happen because "body horror" over the limp arm.

....does a broken arm REALLY count as "body horror"?

Top Bottom