• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Klonoa - The Dream Traveler enters the ring!

Mario123311

Smash Ace
@Operationgamer Oh yeah... Even then, Namco outright had unrealistic expectations, Especially with their failure to even properly advertise the series. That and I assume the west brushed the games off back then as “generic kiddie platformers” judging from first glance.

Last edited:

Mario123311

Smash Ace
I was thinking of playing klonoa is it worth it?
Definently. Though I’d reccomend buying the PS1 game digitally off PSN instead of getting the Wiimake. And you sure as hell aren’t getting DtP physically without paying up a hefty price.

Though, I’d personally say Klonoa 2 was the best in the series. Not as rare/expensive as it’s PS1 cousin, But that is slowly changing as years pass.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
Wow that's insane i didn't know that klonoa was so rare

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Outside the dream theme, I don't see any similarities between the two franchise haha.
Not if you're talking about modern Kirby, no, but I specifically meant his first game. There were no Copy Abilities back then, so you had to inhale enemies then spit them out to progress through stages. That's what I mean, though Klonoa obviosly has more focus on the puzzle platformer aspect.

My point was more on the idea that Nintendo's decision to keep making and advertising Kirby, despite him not making them as much money as Mario or Zelda back then was what made the series into what it is today. With Klonoa... it feels like Namco just brushed aside his potential because it's not Tekken or Tales.

Definently. Though I’d reccomend buying the PS1 game digitally off PSN instead of getting the Wiimake. And you sure as hell aren’t getting DtP physically without paying up a hefty price.

Though, I’d personally say Klonoa 2 was the best in the series. Not as rare/expensive as it’s PS1 cousin, But that is slowly changing as years pass.
Eh, the wiimake isn't a bad game by all means. Sure, if you want the original experience, the original game will always be better, but I think the wiimake gets a lot of unwarranted ****. Questionable decisions might have been made (like changed names and actually dubbing the characters), but it's still a fun game in the end.

Last edited:

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I'm really happy to own an original Door to Phantomile disc right about now...

Mario123311

Smash Ace
The fact Namco refuses to rerelease Klonoa 2 on PSN despite PS2 games being rereleased up there for quite a while now (especially on PS4) always rubbed me the wrong way. It's going to become rarer and rarer and PC emulation for it is honestly pretty darn shoddy. The PS2 games on the PS4 are successfully emulated from what I heard so what gives?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The fact Namco refuses to rerelease Klonoa 2 on PSN despite PS2 games being rereleased up there for quite a while now (especially on PS4) always rubbed me the wrong way. It's going to become rarer and rarer and PC emulation for it is honestly pretty darn shoddy. The PS2 games on the PS4 are successfully emulated from what I heard so what gives?
Possibly they don't think that enough people would download it?

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Except people have been downloading DTP on PSN for a while now last I heard. (At least those who are desperate to try and see if buying an old delisted game can bring the series back. Others have just emulated it on their computers.)

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I don't know Klonoa very well, and don't support him either.

But I wonder is Klonoa an Anthro? Or is he part of an entirely separate race?

D

Deleted member

He’s an anthropomorphic animal, but there’s a lot of debate as to what he is. Some say he’s a cat, a rabbit, or a mix of both (referred to as a cabbit). The folks involved in the games say they don’t envision him as any kind of specific animal, but if they had to classify him as anything, they would go with a cat with really long ears.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man

Seems like something might be happening with Klonoa.

Doesn't make a Smash reveal any likelier, but it does mean Namco might have some plans for the series.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Seems like something might be happening with Klonoa.

Doesn't make a Smash reveal any likelier, but it does mean Namco might have some plans for the series.
Actually, it's not just Klonoa. Apparently, Mr. Driller and Splatterhouse have also gotten "Encore" trademarks. Something is coming, I just don't know what...

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Actually, it's not just Klonoa. Apparently, Mr. Driller and Splatterhouse have also gotten "Encore" trademarks. Something is coming, I just don't know what...
If I had to wager a guess, it's probably remasters, seeing that Katamari Damacy had a similar thing happen before.

Whatever it is, I'm just happy they're bringing Klonoa back in some capacity, especially after the whole situation with the movie.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Could it possibly be just a rerelease of the first two games in a bundle? Not a remake, just a the originals in a bundle. That's the first thing that comes to mind with "encore", for some reason.

Maybe Namco wants to test the waters for these franchises... again?

Rikarte

Smash Ace
I'm hoping for a remaster like Spyro and Crash got. Never got to finish Lunatea's Veil and the first game I haven't played at all. Regardless of what we're getting, I hope it sells well because the Klonoa games deserve way more attention

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
I support Klonoa, Door to Phantomile and Lunatea's Veil are fantastic games. I'm hoping Namco gives them the remaster treatment on the Switch, that might spark interest in a new game.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Quick question: was Katamari Damacy Reroll a remake or a remaster? Apparently it was called "Katamari Damacy Encore" in Japan (I don't have a source on that, though), so that might give us an idea as to what this is.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Quick question: was Katamari Damacy Reroll a remake or a remaster? Apparently it was called "Katamari Damacy Encore" in Japan (I don't have a source on that, though), so that might give us an idea as to what this is.
It was called Encore in Japan, yeah. It was a remaster.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
This does sound less like remakes (Crash and Spyro) and much closer to remasters (Katamari, Battle for Bikini Bottom).

I support Klonoa, Door to Phantomile and Lunatea's Veil are fantastic games. I'm hoping Namco gives them the remaster treatment on the Switch, that might spark interest in a new game.
This'll be the third overall time Klonoa got on Nintendo hardware. Will it finally be the charm?

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
This does sound less like remakes (Crash and Spyro) and much closer to remasters (Katamari, Battle for Bikini Bottom).

This'll be the third overall time Klonoa got on Nintendo hardware. Will it finally be the charm?
Actually, sixth. There were four games on the GBA (one of which never made it out of Japan) and a remake of the original Klonoa on the Wii.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I hope to god it's a compilation and they're not taking the Devil May Cry approach. One package with all the games is easier on everybody. HELLO WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE DEE EM SEE TOO

I would still buy them but I would also feel strongly annoyed about it while doing so.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I openly blurted out "nobody wants that game!" during the Direct. Makes ya wonder why Capcom bothered, it's like when Zone of the Enders 1's remaster was sold by itself on PSN.
We need to remember: Capcom bothered enough with the worst selling Resident Evil games being remastered and on the Switch that an entire commercial with paid actors happened on a Direct.

Capcom does that from time to time. Hell, it would be great to see Namco give their smaller fish some love...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
We need to remember: Capcom bothered enough with the worst selling Resident Evil games being remastered and on the Switch that an entire commercial with paid actors happened on a Direct.

Capcom does that from time to time. Hell, it would be great to see Namco give their smaller fish some love...
Yeah. The last time we had collections that even had stuff off the beaten path like Valkyrie and the Tower of Druaga was on the Playstation.

Like, we get it, your Western fans are your biggest buyers, but the Japanese audience still exists, you know? We'll eventually get tired of buying Rally-X, Pac-Man and Dig Dug over and over. Their treatment of US Tales fans is bad enough.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
In a perfect world we would have a Klonoa collection that includes the 2 games people care about plus the GBA and Wonderswan games.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I actually prefer his scrapped redesign with smaller ears.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, in the event that they start with the first game alone (which is likely, given the series' track record), remember this:

Spread the word far and wide about the game! Even if the Switch is a more popular console than the ones Klonoa has been on in the past, there's still a chance that Klonoa will be buried among the sea of games that are out for it! As we saw with SNK's games, not even a popular console prevents you from being niche unless you got into Smash Bros! Advertise it, for the hope of keeping the IP alive.

EEssELvXUAAKLp6.jpg

Edit: Well, that's a pleasant surprise, Bamco released a wallpaper with him on it!

Edit 2:

This might be helpful.

Last edited:
Top Bottom