• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Klonoa - The Dream Traveler enters the ring!

Mario123311

Smash Ace
THE DREAM TRAVELER RETURNS
Who is Klonoa?
Klonoa
is the main character of Namco's franchise of the same name, and was a highly requested character during the early days of Smash 4. (and even the imfamous fighter ballot) Klonoa at it's heart was a puzzle platformer where you used enemies as ammunition to break through obstacles and fight your way to victory.

While Klonoa may not exactly be on the same level as Pac-Man, Thanks to word of mouth - This guy's popularity has grown over time. And after the failed remake in 2008, a movie was announced to be produced by team HENSHIN, a team made by former members of Shiftylook who maintained a webcomic for the series from around 2012-2014. One could argue that he's still just obscure but considering we've gotten characters like Bayonetta and Snake, I think anything is really possible.

And at this point, Pac-Man already got in. Klonoa wouldn't need to replace Namco's mascot, moreso he needs to be alongside him. Along with having a pretty health relationship with Nintendo systems in general with the 2008 remake and 3 exclusive GBA titles. One of which was never released outside of Japan...

Speaking of which: A lot of Klonoa's popularity comes from Japan, even years when the franchise was dormant he remains recognizable and highly regarded in said region along with a lot of merchandise and other stuff being JP exclusive. Fans have been what have kept Klonoa alive for so long, and word of mouth definitely helped. While Klonoa is nowhere near the likes of Mario or Pac-Man in terms of popularity, His obscure status has faded a bit in recent years and that's all thanks to word of mouth.

1. Klonoa has a fairly health relationship with Nintendo

First off, I want to make this clear. Out of the 5 games he has had (or 6 if you count the forgotten Wonderswan spinoff, Moonlight Museum) 3 of them have been exclusive to Nintendo consoles, 4 if you count the JP exclusive game Klonoa Heroes. Aside from the Wii remake being made SPECIFICALLY for the Wii and being featured in Nintendo Power's "favorite gaming heroes" (where they had a specific set of pages that talked about a video game protagonist) at one point, I really don't know what else I have to say.

2. Isn't he a playstation character?
Aside from his first two outings being exclusive to the PS1 and PS2, He really isn't. The Wii remake of the PS1 game was made exclusive for a Nintendo console after all.

3. He's unique and mascot-ey
A common complaint people like me have had were that in the Wii U and 3DS Smash games, The DLC characters really weren't all too interesting and the newcomer DLCs, for the most part were underwhelming. Considering how the addition of Corrin had already split the fanbase even further, I think it's about time we introduce another third party mascot, But not just that - A secondary third party mascot. Aside from being the start of some of the most praised platformers in gaming history despite not being exposed as much as Mario, Klonoa has a very good reputation.

4. What would he add to the game?

Aside from what I mentioned above about him being the "unique/platform-mascot type" which appeal to a certain demographic, Klonoa's main means of offense in his games is his magical ring which posses the power of the Wind Bullet. In all of the games, He uses this to pick up objects and toss them or perform double jumps plus grab onto certain objects within the game enviroment. Along with that, his spinoffs have often delved into giving him plenty of other fun little tools to play with including the Wind Sabre and Hammer in Klonoa Heroes.

Not only does he have so much potential for a versatile and unique moveset, but the amount of variety he could have just makes him all the more promising to not just me, but Klonoa's entire fanbase as well. He's more than just your typical 90's platforming mascot like Bubsy or Gex tried to be, Klonoa actually very much has a style of his own.

• this was a character I originally resented back in the day (especially right before and after Pac-Man’s initial reveal) but over time, I really have to just say he’s practically the only other Namco rep I’d be accepting of. It helps I really got into him over time.

• I haven’t seen anyone make a recent thread for him so, and It’s been a long time since I’ve been here at all (I know I used to be toxic) It also helps Klonoa is getting a proper continuation in the form of a movie. All I can really say is if they add him, It will it up to me for completely ignoring Pac-Man’s more well-known platforming roots (and why people wanted him in the first place) from the PS2 era which I will talk about later.

• Llyoid Irving doesn’t interest me, And i’ve grown tired of most of the “JRPG”-type protagonists after Corrin’s inclusion last game.

• Klonoa is a series of well praised platformers, critically and casually.

• Heihachi I’m still sketchy on with Ryu (the literal face of the fighting genre) being in the game.

But that’s just my opinions. I’ll probably explain more about Klonoa himself later on for those who aren’t to our familiar. This thread is long overdue. You can also add that Klonoa was one of the first characters ever "Smashified" before the whole group came to form, back then known as the "Artsy Omni leak" before the creator himself stepped up and revealed it was all a hoax.

With 2017 being a resurgence for mascots, platformers and most of all: being the year the movie was announced on... What do you say?

Help the dream come true today and support!

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Unfortunately, there's nothing really useful in this thread other than "why I didn't like the character at one point". Please re-edit the opening post to actually explain why the character should be in and add more constructive stuff. I'll leave it open for now, since you can't edit your post if it's closed.

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Added some more info to hopefully be acceptable. I really don't wanna have to copy/paste a whole header from a 4 year old thread so heheheh... I can't say I've been too professional at making something like this. ((Nevermind as I type this I am busy and have personal work to take care of.))

Mario123311

Smash Ace
I really think for his long-needed special treatment, aside from the movie he should appear in Smash Bros alongside Pac-Man...

...Also because I want a reason for Klo fans and Pac fans to stop having such a heated fandom rivalry over who is better.

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Made a (very small) change and added another spoiler tab with an image showcasing his potential moveset and other content, taken from here more precisely.

I do wish I could explain more and get all fancy with this but being in collage limits that, along with a lot of people just being so much faster than me. I really don't want to sound redundant explaining him.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Klonoa may haven't gotten a new game in many years, he's got a movie coming up. That should help make him notable enough.

He's one of the few Namco characters I wouldn't mind at all.

Last edited:

smash puffle

Smash Ace
I want to support Klonoa. He just seems the most fitting for Smash alongside Lloyd, though I want Klonoa a bit more. I would like him more as the 2nd Namco rep instead of any Tekken character.

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
Never played it before. I support! One question: How do you feel about Klonoa getting a movie?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
If the movie does do well, there is a chance that his series might be revived.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It's time to revive this thread. Vergeben has said that we are getting two new Namco Bandai characters and they aren't from Tekken or Soul Calibur.

Foxy Alopex

Smash Ace
NNID
Foxy_Alopex
I've always wanted Klonoa to be in Smash Bros and for him to be the second namco rep because he fits so well along side Pac-Man so put me as a supporter.

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Well, Lloyd Irving is taking one of the slots, meaning that Klonoa will have to compete with Agumon for the other one.
As long as our windy boy can get in, I'll be able to tolerate Lloyd. It'd make up for the lack of Pac-Man World representation Pac has, especially. At least to me anyway.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Hey, is anyone here a fan of Dungeons & Dragons? I ask because I made an invocation based on Klanoa's signature skill.

AuraCuba

Smash Rookie
NNID
Klipso
Switch FC
1143-1102-9840
I'm honestly surprised Klonoa doesn't have more support, a lot of people seem to like him, especially Japan.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm honestly surprised Klonoa doesn't have more support, a lot of people seem to like him, especially Japan.
There's the fact that his series is somewhat obscure, with it not having a new game release since the days of the Wii. People are also latching towards more popular Namco Bandai reps such as Heihachi Mishima, Lloyd Irving, and even Agumon.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
There's the fact that his series is somewhat obscure, with it not having a new game release since the days of the Wii. People are also latching towards more popular Namco Bandai reps such as Heihachi Mishima, Lloyd Irving, and even Agumon.
Given that support immediately shifted towards other characters after Ridley and K. Rool's reveal, here's to hoping that those other Bamco guys getting in first will be the first step towards Klonoa getting some love.

Alongside Ms. Pac-Man, the poor gal is practically ignored across the board.

Last edited:

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Most supporters seem to have lost their hope after the ballot for Smash 4, after all... And while we did get the movie announcement, People are still deeming the series as "still dead".

I remember Klonoa being a more "liked" choice than Pac-Man back then and even winning polls over him. Not saying more recconized but just more well-liked and requested, Probably due to Pac-Man going through his infamous "Dark Age" as I call it at the time...

But that's another story.

Ironically the movie WAS announced right after the final DLC for Smash 4 was finally unveiled.

Last edited:
Top Bottom