• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Klawing on the ledge

Thunderbolt333

Smash Apprentice
So I was practicing the klaw on FD and I found out it has great range when used on the ledge it takes a few trys but you can grab people that are touching the outer angle of fd make sure you hold the foward when clawing. so lets say this B will be boswer, .(dot) will the the target (we will use the left side of fd for this example) so the 2 arrows on fd will be < < and - this will the ledge.

B- <. < the foot of the chartacter has to be touching the outer arrow.

If you fail to catch them you cant grab the ledge unless you use up B but it can surprise people who think your trying to come back up on the ledge just to grab them to suicide or to slam them on the stage.
If this is already knowned I tryed so don't flame me (I dout it tho you guys are nice) so post if you have questions.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Are you telling us to ledge drop--->double jump--->Klaw?

Because people have been doing that for months already. lol

Phiddlesticks

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure this is well known. Klaw in general has pretty ridiculous range in the air. What I find more useful though is double jumping on the stage from the ledge into a klaw. That way you can threaten your opponent with the klaw itself while still keeping your options open. If you don't grab your opponent, you can land and shield/fortress (or even fortress back to the ledge), you can klawhop forwards and keep infinite jumping/whatever, or klawhop backwards and bowser bomb back to the ledge. Bowser's ledge game isn't very good, so mix it up and keep it unpredictable!!!

read: It's 5:40 AM and I'm fighting my boredom by theorybrawling.

Also, threads like these should probably go in either the general discussion thread or the Q&A thread next time. It's not a big deal imo, just keep it in mind.

This has nothing to do with this topic but I love playing on Rainbow Cruise as Bowser :)

Thunderbolt333

Smash Apprentice
Oh god yes but Herb banned rainbow cruise so I dont get to use it but in friendlies.yeh mreh just like that still fun tho lol.I wish bowserts metagame would evolve faster but he's awsome either way lmao.

B!squick

Smash Master
Bowser's metagame doesn't need to evolve. He has the tools and the ability to kick lots of ***, it's just NO ONE PLAYS HIM IN TOURNYS and thus, he can't sprint up the tier list like PT. Vex, stop being a hater and represent. XD

B!squick

Smash Master
That's what CPs are for. CP characters though, there's no stage you can CP against DeDeDe to make that match up any smoother... I live in a state of good DeDeDe players, so I'm pretty boned if I ever go to a tourny. T_T

pacmansays

Smash Journeyman
Yeah we really need more rep. How do we attract new people to main bowser?

I think in some ways its a vicious cycle...

People generally will play those who are in the higher tiers...

To get higher in the tiers you need more people playing generally...

Think the only way to do it is to just keep placing well in tournaments alone or highlighting one feature that would be attractive to potential players

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
I play him and place fairly well in tournaments, Single-handedly repping Bowser in turneys down under :)

Anyways let the thread die guys and take it to the general discussion.

Thunderbolt333

Smash Apprentice
I think in some ways its a vicious cycle...

People generally will play those who are in the higher tiers...

To get higher in the tiers you need more people playing generally...

Think the only way to do it is to just keep placing well in tournaments alone or highlighting one feature that would be attractive to potential players

I use to main king dedede when Brawl first came out then I mained luigi went back to G&W then couple of months ago I droped all of them for bowser he's just so sexy.Allright I'll let this thread die lol.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
Topic ressurected because I'd like to add some input on Bowser's ledge game that I do not recall seeing posted anywhere else but feel free to let me know if there's a better place to put this.

Anyway, i'm sure most of the vets already know most of this stuff but I imagine anyone who is brand new or around my play level will find the information quite useful. I should also note that I do not have any fancy programs like frame advance, so my data might be a little off, all I have to verify anything is the dummy in training mode so if anyone wants to go in and doublecheck or triplecheck then that would be great.

Now first off I want to point out that I haven't seen a lot of information on bowser's <100% and >100% ledge options and it's my understanding that many players avoid the >100% options like the plauge but after playing around in training mode, I may have found a legitimate use for them. I got the idea when I read that back in melee, players used to edgeguard by simply rolling onto the stage which would cause the ledge to be occupied through the entire animation even after they released the ledge, then when brawl dropped this method became ineffective because now the ledge is vacated the moment it is released correct? Now, two things about >100% tech is that they generally A.) Take longer for the character to release the ledge. B.) Swathe the character with invincible frames. So after doing a little bit of testing found out a few things which I think deserve some further exploration. By the way, while the general idea here applies to all characters, I'm only going to cover the points that apply specifically to bowser.

1. The standard ledge get-up. (Simply pressing forward to climb up off the ledge.) is 100% identical regardless of damage.

Because this option, for bowser at least, always takes a good deal of time to release the ledge, it can always be used as a good option for gimping recoveries, furthermore I found out that if you use this option when fox tries to recover vertically directly to the ledge, if he overshot it, then your options vary from fsmash to fortress hogging depending on how high he went.

2. The ledge attack is slightly longer than the standard get up.

Also, you can use this option when they avoid the ledge entirely and recover onto the stage to remain invulerable through the recovery attack and hit them right after, possibly knocking them back out off the stage to reset the situation, you could also use the standard option here to possibly get a free grab.

3. The roll seems to take the longest to actually give up the ledge as expected but may not always be the best option to use.

Because the roll takes a while even after you're on the stage and places you pretty far in, there may be fewer follow-up options afterwards but I haven't looked into that yet.

4. Jumping appears to be the fastest option.

And thus the worst one to use for this purpose but it's still great to get extra height to do a psuedo wall of pain regardless of damage.

Timing is important, and if you can get the invincibility as late as possible then that's good because then these options just extend your invincibility further as long as you time the tech-in the right way, note that ledge invincibility frames are easy to time to because of the way it flickers, it'll flicker slow then pause then flicker quickly before dropping, during the quick flicker is when you'd tech-in to avoid having breaks in the frames that could be punished.

Also, I noticed that the < 100% ledge attack can be used as an edgeguarding tool as well because it seems to hit out behind him a little bit when he's in the process of climbing up so it could be good against characters frame-trapping recoveries that require the characters to overlap each other such as fortress, pk thunder, firebird, ect. Of course this assumes you had invincibility frames to begin with so again, timing is key.

If anyone has input to offer, I'd be most appreciative.

Top Bottom