• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KIU's power system: good idea?

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
Let me elaborate on Kid Icarus Uprising's power system: you set up a few powers for use during a given match, and can trigger them as you wish for temporary effects (although Energy Charge is indefinite, at the cost that getting hit whatsoever removes it immediately) or immediate actions. Used wisely, they can both bolster strengths and cover against weaknesses.

And whaddyaknow, it's a happy medium for super armor, as I figured out the very first day of playing the multiplayer, at the Game Developer's Conference 2012 at the Moscone Center in San Francisco. It can be activated at choosing, and having it around is VERY useful for power weapons like clubs and cannons, simply so that they can protect their momentum and minimize the need and/or punishment for deviating from optimized behavior. The drawback? It uses considerable space on the power grid, though just enough that it works much better as a staple power. But it works nicely, as heavy weapons can see use without fear of getting cherry tapped, but other players can use that space for other powers. But it works out, as it's through Super Armor alone that clubs and cannons can give melee combo rush claws far more trouble than you'd expect the likes of Bowser to give to a character like Marth in Melee or Brawl, and mere mention of Counter is enough to make it crystal clear that anybody who just tries to melee combo rush with claws is Too Dumb to Live, simply because Counter can easily provide free projectiles, so it takes either misplay on my part, or at least two people doing the claw melee rush for it to even HOPE to work, and that's if I'm using a Halo Club with minor defense boosts. Good luck pulling it on my tank Skyscraper.

I could keep going about why activation super armor is good (for the record, it would have to be nerfed in SSB, if to a point to prevent mechanics abuse), but I don't want to eat up the whole post about it. Anyway, with the power system, you'd get more options for things like anti-focus and anti-armor, both methods for dealing with power characters (the former for silencing bad players of power characters and the latter for keeping good ones on their toes). It means more ways to deal with matchup problems, and more tactics to work with than freaking kiting.

Here are potential countercomplaints:

*Overcomplicated controls
This one I considered, especially since I still want the character mode idea I've had since way back when, and if I had to sacrifice one idea or the other, I'd give up the power system and go with the character mode, purely for thematic reasons. And that's actually considering I'd WANT an available happy medium for things like superarmor.

Luckily, I thought up these default controls:

*Jump: R on 3DS, C on Wiichucks
*Shield: L on 3DS, Z on Wiichucks
*Attack: A on both
*Special: B on both
*Grab: X? on 3DS, 1 on Wiichucks
*Power management: touch screen on 3DS, D-Pad on Wiichucks
*Character management: touch screen on 3DS, D-Pad with Minus held on Wiichucks
*Taunts: D-Pad on 3DS, D-Pad with 2 held on Wiichucks

There. That shouldn't be too hard to remember. However, there are some other concerns.

*Shut up! Too complicated!

Hardly. It's not terribly complicated in KIU.

*The customization will break the game

Not if the options are balanced out well.

*It will require less skill

No it won't. It adds to the tactics. KITING is what requires no skill.

*Super Armor shouldn't be around

Super Armor would have to be weaker than it is in KIU, if because of SSB's mechanics where you KO by ring-out rather than flat damage, but it should still work to prevent somebody from bringing Bowser up to triple digits in only 2 seconds.

So let me know what you think.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
So you're suggesting abilities that last a short amount of time to give a momentary advantage?
Like say Double Knockback, Knockback Resistance, Halve Damage Taken, and increase Speed of Attacks (speed up animations)? And these could be automatically activated as reward for doing something impressive like dodging several attacks or pulling off several attacks in unison.

Actually I'm still unclear of what yer going for here.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
the Power system would work much better then the Stickers, and would probably be like SFxT Gems here, so I wouldn't mind.

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
So you're suggesting abilities that last a short amount of time to give a momentary advantage?
Like say Double Knockback, Knockback Resistance, Halve Damage Taken, and increase Speed of Attacks (speed up animations)? And these could be automatically activated as reward for doing something impressive like dodging several attacks or pulling off several attacks in unison.

Actually I'm still unclear of what yer going for here.
You'd be able to use any of the powers as early as the start of the match. I do think they'd need to be able to recharge without having to die though.

There are a few powers I ought to mention:
*Mega Laser - fires a laser in a straight line.
*Reflect Barrier - creates a reflective shield.
*Energy Charge - boosts attack power, lasts until you get hit.
*Virus - creates a beacon that cripples nearby opponents.

So not all of them are simple statuses.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
the Power system would work much better then the Stickers, and would probably be like SFxT Gems here, so I wouldn't mind.
I agree with you.....After I played Brawls story mode and just went to playing multiplayer you always collect stickers during the matches but never make use of them. I think if they allowed stickers in multiplayer to boost or customize your characters play. It would give the stickers a greater importance this time around.

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
I agree with you.....After I played Brawls story mode and just went to playing multiplayer you always collect stickers during the matches but never make use of them. I think if they allowed stickers in multiplayer to boost or customize your characters play. It would give the stickers a greater importance this time around.
Omg stickers really would make competitive play so much more interesting.
Give ganondorf the "wield beam sword" sticker :awesome:

Anyway back on topic when you say "mega lazer" you mean something LIKE the mega lazer right? Cuz your not implying that sm4sh would use the exact items from KIU right??

:phone:

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
It'd be nice if there was a custom character slot where you had a character boosted with stickers.
In the Dragon Ball Z budokai games I think when you selected a character it gave you the option to play normal, or custom. Custom obviously being the character with your favorite specials and abilities that you saved for them.
These custom characters are overpowered as hell but its always nice to have some part in making your dream character come true.
But then people would abuse it... just like the Dbz games...
I swear to god how many Senzu Beans can you use! Ou And he gets wished back to full health by the Dragon Balls!?! Perfect. Just perfect.

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
Omg stickers really would make competitive play so much more interesting.
Give ganondorf the "wield beam sword" sticker :awesome:

Anyway back on topic when you say "mega lazer" you mean something LIKE the mega lazer right? Cuz your not implying that sm4sh would use the exact items from KIU right??

Ganondorf using his freaking sword being a power or something doesn't sound too bad as long as it's blatantly inexpensive with good duration and favors his high power (if available to other characters), though he shouldn't be a Captain Falcon clone in the first place. If you think otherwise, well, it's not like we didn't see him use FREAKING ENERGY BALLS IN HIS HUMANOID FORM'S ORIGIN GAME. Heck, even in Link to the Past, Ganon, who is in his beast form, threw his trident around and used fire bats to support his combat against you, so he had TWO ways of range combat.

As to the "Mega Laser", well, I am referring to the ability. Maybe you can describe what it's like better. I know it's not all powerful, just a power that gets spammed to obnoxious levels. It wasn't even foolproof in being useful on day 1, why would it be now?

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
If you're talking about Knight Charge, doubtful if translated into SSB terms well. If anything, losing offensive ability would make you unable to use it for considerably more than break free of momentum problems.

The power system is unlikely to be overcentralizing too, assuming that every power can be reasonably countered. Characters like Fox would probably be able to shake it off when they have their act together and use leveled powers supported by their mobility. It'd be up to other players to counter those leveled powers too.

Better than simply saying "don't get hit" at any rate.

Top Bottom