• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kiryu Kazuma: The Dragon Of Dojima

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I don't think Kiryu would be a good fit for Smash.

Majima and Kasuga, though? Prime candidates.
Well, I'm not sure that posting in the Kiryu support thread is a great idea, then. But if you want to support Ichiban, check the link in my signature for his thread!

2006ToyotaTacoma

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't be shocked if all three of them got in; one the base, the rest as alts
Ichiban as a Kiryu alt? Maybe.

Majima as an alt? Yeah, no, they have completely different fighting styles.

Unless you're talking about just clothing (Red suit, white undershirt for Ichiban; Snakeskin jacket for Majima), I'm not so sure about them as Kiryu alts.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Ichiban as a Kiryu alt? Maybe.

Majima as an alt? Yeah, no, they have completely different fighting styles.

Unless you're talking about just clothing (Red suit, white undershirt for Ichiban; Snakeskin jacket for Majima), I'm not so sure about them as Kiryu alts.
In fairness, Kiryu does learn Majima's signature dagger attack at least once, so it wouldn't be too illogical to assume they'd train each other for the occasion.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
In fairness, Kiryu does learn Majima's signature dagger attack at least once, so it wouldn't be too illogical to assume they'd train each other for the occasion.
I don't think that counts at all. What Kiryu does during gameplay doesn't always fit well with how he's represented in the cutscenes, which obviously are canon.

Majima as a Kiryu echo wouldn't make sense at all. Majima is usually depicted with his dagger, Kiryu not. Majima is a lot faster as well, not to say I don't think they share one move at all.

2006ToyotaTacoma

Smash Journeyman
I don't think that counts at all. What Kiryu does during gameplay doesn't always fit well with how he's represented in the cutscenes, which obviously are canon.

Majima as a Kiryu echo wouldn't make sense at all. Majima is usually depicted with his dagger, Kiryu not. Majima is a lot faster as well, not to say I don't think they share one move at all.
This. If anything Majima would work best as his own character.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I personally don't like forcing characters into roles they're not suited for. I really like Majima as well, but there's no better representative for Yakuza than Kiryu. After him then anyone is fair game but then there's also Ichiban, who will obviously gain more and more following with the time. Not to say, Majima is very popular but if we talk about main characters then I'd honestly put Akiyama and Saejima above Majima in terms of priority. Or at least, consider them, because barely no one does, which is ironic because they're popular as well and were more significant to the overall plot than Majima never was besides Yakuza 0.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Does Yakuza 7 work as a stand-alone game? I'm playing through Yakuza 0 at the moment, but that's my first experience with the series - I'm not sure whether it would be better to play through the other games first, since 0-6 are interconnected (or at least star the same protagonist), or whether I could jump straight to Yakuza 7 since it stars someone new. (it looks like fun, but I tried jumping to the latest game with BlazBlue since Central Fiction had the biggest roster, and that didn't quite work out)

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
you'll miss some references here and there (particularly during substories), but the game is pretty set apart from the rest to not be a bad beginning spot I feel. I played through it before 3-6 as they had no PC release date announced and still understood the story just fine.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Does Yakuza 7 work as a stand-alone game? I'm playing through Yakuza 0 at the moment, but that's my first experience with the series - I'm not sure whether it would be better to play through the other games first, since 0-6 are interconnected (or at least star the same protagonist), or whether I could jump straight to Yakuza 7 since it stars someone new. (it looks like fun, but I tried jumping to the latest game with BlazBlue since Central Fiction had the biggest roster, and that didn't quite work out)
7 is not a bad place to start at all, but at the same time, I'd suggest playing the 0-6 first. Though I can understand that can seem intimidating. If you really wanna go to 7 after 0, do it.

In the end it takes place a few years after the events of 6. So there's going to be some references. I also suggest playing the previous games first because 7 will spoil you a few things from other games.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Yes, it works fine. It'll give you some spoilers for Kiryu's saga via context clues as well as you'll miss out on or not understand some cameos, but also it is 100% my favorite Yakuza game and in fact my favorite RPG of the last console generation and my GOTY 2020 by a mile. And then when you've played and fallen in love with it you can join the Ichiban thread.

I think they intentionally made it easy to approach for newcomers with basic series knowledge because they knew they'd get a new audience due to the RPG mechanics.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
https://www.pushsquare.com/news/202...d_wants_ishin_and_kenzan_remakes_for_the_west

"We released the Yakuza series and Like a Dragon on multiple platforms because we wanted more western players to have the opportunity to play our games. In that sense, we will be considering multiplatform releases in the future, and would like to aim for worldwide simultaneous launches. I can’t promise you anything here, but with the business side in mind, we would like to bring the games to everyone in a way that is most optimal way possible."
Yet it hasn't arrived on Switch yet in any form. Hmm. 🤔

Last edited:

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
If he can somehow work his Dragon fighting style, random items like motorbikes and tables and the wackiness of the Yakuza series into his moveset I'm for him getting in.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I would definitely want Majima just so we can have Mark Hamill in the game. Though I highly doubt it'll ever happened as Hamill himself said he doesn't even remember voicing him which could be the reason why he didn't reprise his role in Y7.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I would definitely want Majima just so we can have Mark Hamill in the game. Though I highly doubt it'll ever happened as Hamill himself said he doesn't even remember voicing him which could be the reason why he didn't reprise his role in Y7.
I'd say him being Mark Hamil was the actual obstacle into bringing him back. Even if he doesn't remember voicing Majima, I'm guessing he would be okay with reprising the role if the money is enough. I'd imagine he's not cheap at all, so I can see why Sega would decide going with another VA.

2006ToyotaTacoma

Smash Journeyman
If Majima ever got in, and even if he ever were voiced in English (I can almost guarantee a Yakuza rep would be voiced in Japanese), he'd probably be voiced by Matt Mercer, who did his voice in Yakuza: Like a Dragon (I think its a spoiler? Idk)

D

Deleted member

I'd say him being Mark Hamil was the actual obstacle into bringing him back. Even if he doesn't remember voicing Majima, I'm guessing he would be okay with reprising the role if the money is enough. I'd imagine he's not cheap at all, so I can see why Sega would decide going with another VA.
Or he could be playing dumb.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
If Majima ever got in, and even if he ever were voiced in English (I can almost guarantee a Yakuza rep would be voiced in Japanese), he'd probably be voiced by Matt Mercer, who did his voice in Yakuza: Like a Dragon (I think its a spoiler? Idk)
That's not Matt Mercer. I know Mercer-senpai's verbal ticks like I know the back of my own hand. Kiryu is voiced by Darryl Kurylo in the English dub. Matt voices Majima-san.

Last edited:

Doomguy46

Smash Apprentice
I don't think Kiryu would be a good fit for Smash.

Majima and Kasuga, though? Prime candidates.
yeah how can a stance change character with similar yet different enough fighting styles and general all around fighting prowess that would really fit with smash's roster compare to a guy with an intentionally janky moveset revolving around trickery that is awkward to use and probably would not fit a fighting game with any faithful procedure at all.

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
yeah how can a stance change character with similar yet different enough fighting styles and general all around fighting prowess that would really fit with smash's roster compare to a guy with an intentionally janky moveset revolving around trickery that is awkward to use and probably would not fit a fighting game with any faithful procedure at all.
Well that's a pretty dumb take. Obviously a character from Yakuza is going to play differently in Smash. Even if I agree that Majima's moveset is awkward and jank, (WHICH I DON'T), that does not affect his chances in any way. Besides, the Mad Dog's mix of bare fist, dagger, baseball bat and breakdancing battle styles would be way more interesting in the setting of Smash Bros. How many Smash characters fight by dancing? Exactly.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Majima only uses dance move in Yakuza 0. Well, and Kiwami, I guess.

Unless his moveset is specifically focused on Yakuza 0's stances, I don't see Majima's moveset having a lot of his Breaker style moves.

2006ToyotaTacoma

Smash Journeyman
My apologies, I misread.
It's all good :).

Majima only uses dance move in Yakuza 0. Well, and Kiwami, I guess.

Unless his moveset is specifically focused on Yakuza 0's stances, I don't see Majima's moveset having a lot of his Breaker style moves.
In the Majima Saga in Kiwami 2, there seems to be some breaker style moves in his moveset from what I've seen.

Doomguy46

Smash Apprentice
Well that's a pretty dumb take. Obviously a character from Yakuza is going to play differently in Smash. Even if I agree that Majima's moveset is awkward and jank, (WHICH I DON'T), that does not affect his chances in any way. Besides, the Mad Dog's mix of bare fist, dagger, baseball bat and breakdancing battle styles would be way more interesting in the setting of Smash Bros. How many Smash characters fight by dancing? Exactly.
I think majima is intentionally a little awkward I mean, breaker and thug especially both play in very different ways but both are far different movement wise from your regular beat em up fighting styles, not bad, but different. I strongly believe kiryu would be both easier and stronger in implementation, simply because making majima feel right would take a lot more work than kiryu in smash. Would he be different? sure but I'm not sure that's always a good thing. Maybe I'm just tired of blade wielding characters.

D

Deleted member

Alternate Costumes
  1. Default
  2. Younger
  3. Stars and Stripes
  4. Black Suit
  5. Wrestler
  6. Judgement
  7. Early Days
  8. Producer
Fighter Spirit:
Kazuma_Kiryu_Yakuza_6_render.png

Spirit: Kazuma Kiryu

d89qyc8-53436f75-9031-4627-b25c-da5191c37278.png
Spirit: Kazuma Kiryu (Yakuza 0)

2d_cf_kigae_kiryu02.png
Spirit: Kazuma Kiryu (Wrestler)

YakuzaDLC1.jpg
Spirit: Kazuma Kiryu (Stars and Stripes)

2d_yk_jc_kiryu_s.png
Spirit: Kazuma Kiryu (Black Suit)

tumblr_nlvjbtNDQu1rsl35ao4_1280.jpg
Spirit: Kazuma Kiryu (Judgement)

Kazuma_Kiryū_02.jpg
Spirit: Kazuma Kiryu (Early Days)

Kazuma_Kiryū_(Producer).jpg
Spirit: Kazuma Kiryu (Producer)

Boxing Ring: Dragon of Dojima
Classic Mode: Like a Dragon

Last edited by a moderator:

ChiefGamers

Smash Cadet
If you say it in the sense of being part of the same slot, in a similar way to Pyra and Mythra, I don't agree at all.

As separate characters, yeah why not. But two Yakuza characters seems like a pipe dream when getting Kiryu would be already difficult.
Good lord no not in the same slot, should have cleared that up lmao
Palette Swaps/Alternate Costumes:
  1. Default
  2. Younger (AC)
  3. Stars and Stripes (AC)
  4. Majima (PS)
  5. Wrestler (AC)
  6. Judgment (AC)
  7. Setouchi Warriors (AC)
  8. Producer (AC)
Fighter Spirit:
View attachment 306090

Spirit: Kazuma Kiryu

View attachment 306083
Spirit: Kazuma Kiryu (Yakuza 0)

View attachment 306084
Spirit: Kazuma Kiryu (Wrestler)

View attachment 306082
Spirit: Kazuma Kiryu (Stars and Stripes)

View attachment 306091
Spirit: Kazuma Kiryu (Judgment)

View attachment 306088
Spirit: Kazuma Kiryu (Setouchi Warriors)

View attachment 306086
Spirit: Kazuma Kiryu (Producer)

Boxing Ring: Dragon of Dojima
Classic Mode: Like a Dragon
Also wow, Kiryu really does have an amazing line up of possible alts doesn't he? He's a character that seems silly for Smash at first but the more you think about it the more you realize he's kinda perfect for Smash.

Top Bottom