• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kiryu Kazuma: The Dragon Of Dojima

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Personally I would really like to see it, but there's not enough details there (hardly any) for me to be sold on the idea. Maybe it would take more inspiration from Monkey Ball? Or even Yakuza? I'm interested to hear his ideas-I mean, Sonic Team's played it pretty safe this decade excluding Boom, and I'd like a fresh new take on both gameplay and story.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Just found this thread now, but Kiryu is definitely a want for me. Though I've only played a bit of Yakuza 0 at this point - how likely would a Majima alt be? Are their fighting styles too different?

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Just found this thread now, but Kiryu is definitely a want for me. Though I've only played a bit of Yakuza 0 at this point - how likely would a Majima alt be? Are their fighting styles too different?
0% of happening.

Completely different fighting styles. Not to mention that Majima usually fights with a knife, while you almost never see Kiryu using weapons (I'm talking about the canon and all, that is, the cinematics and all the story content).

I don't really see any important character of the series working as an echo or an alt of Kiryu.

Not Smash related but Like a Dragon has been a lot of fun! Very impressed with what I've played of it thus far.
I mostly agree. I'm near to beating the game and it has been a lot of fun. The first hours are slow and it takes a while to get you into the story but the game is very good so far.
The side content is also great.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
An artist on Twitter managed to cook up a moveset for Kiryu:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Hey this is ****ing great. Visually it's really easy to understand and I think it presents a cool moveset concept for Kiryu. I love it!

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Big news! PC can finally play the entire main series.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I will say, it would be hilarious if the only in-universe reason Kiryu gets in Smash at all would be if Majima goaded him into it. I wouldn't even be mad.

Big news! PC can finally play the entire main series.
That's a pretty big coup right there, good on them. This way even more people can get to enjoy the series.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
If Kiryu gets in, they need a Majima assist trophy, that, whenever he is summoned, pops out, complete with the text - TOJO CLAN SHIMANO FAMILY CAPTAIN GORO MAJIMA - and uses Mad Dog style moves. But, if Kiryu is in the match and isn't the one who summoned him, he goes "Kiryu-chaaaan!" and no matter who else is in the match, he exclusively fights Kiryu.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
If Kiryu gets in, they need a Majima assist trophy, that, whenever he is summoned, pops out, complete with the text - TOJO CLAN SHIMANO FAMILY CAPTAIN GORO MAJIMA - and uses Mad Dog style moves. But, if Kiryu is in the match and isn't the one who summoned him, he goes "Kiryu-chaaaan!" and no matter who else is in the match, he exclusively fights Kiryu.
That would be perfect lol

Bad thing that DLC characters haven't brought an assist trophy with them. That's one thing I'd have liked.

Jack Frost/Morgana, Slime, Aerith, etc. would be cool as AT.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Yeah, assist trophies are one of those things I'm surprised they didn't try to incorporate with challenger packs at all.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
imagine Sephiroths reveal with Majima just goofing around in the background. At the least, he's a must as a stage element in Kamurocho should Kiryu happen, and definitely 2nd in line for a Yakuza rep (although I wouldn't oppose to Ichiban, I just feel Majima has a larger legacy for obvious reasons).

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
Yakuza is an underrated pick for Smash, given how popular the series is in Japan (and increasingly overseas) as well as how interested Sega appears in promoting it. If they're planning a Switch Yakuza spin-off like they did with Persona 5 Strikers, it seems extremely likely to me.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
imagine Sephiroths reveal with Majima just goofing around in the background. At the least, he's a must as a stage element in Kamurocho should Kiryu happen, and definitely 2nd in line for a Yakuza rep (although I wouldn't oppose to Ichiban, I just feel Majima has a larger legacy for obvious reasons).
Not to mention that he's been playable multiple times. The guy's so beloved that I can imagine him getting in easy even if Ichiban got in over Kiryu.

Yakuza is an underrated pick for Smash, given how popular the series is in Japan (and increasingly overseas) as well as how interested Sega appears in promoting it. If they're planning a Switch Yakuza spin-off like they did with Persona 5 Strikers, it seems extremely likely to me.
You know what I find that's interesting? The Switch is currently the ONLY console that doesn't have the Yakuza series on it, since the rest of the games are coming to PC this year. Even the Xbox One, which is part of a console line that historically has all the appeal of an ashtray in Japan, has the series.

The only reason it never caught on the Wii U was due to the console being dead on arrival, and Nagoshi knew it. For it to dodge the Switch when it clearly has the audience for the Yakuza games now, I find more than a little curious. It's not like the Dragon Engine would be impossible to pull off on it, either.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
So, today I beat Yakuza: Like A Dragon.

Not only was it pretty handily the best game released in 2020, it's one of the best games I've ever played to the point that I might even be willing to say it's my favorite RPG of the generation and possibly ever. I loved it that much. It is a profoundly beautiful and special experience with characters and themes that hit me in ways no other Yakuza game ever has.

Now, I will still consider Kiryu one of my most-wanted Smash characters. He has the pedigree and history and moves to make a character that ticks all my boxes. But now I want Ichiban just as much if not more on a personal level, so I think I'll be starting a thread for him once I've put together some moveset ideas, spirits, etc. I'll probably make a challenger pack that's YLAD-focused and one that's more general, but I'll have to be careful about spoilers and such.

Anyway, I gotta say, if YLAD interests you in any way, it's worth it. Even the combat FEELS like the heavy-hitting beat-em-up style of other Yakuza games just by virtue of being super interesting in what it does with the environment and hazards.

If Kiryu gets in I hope we at least get an Ichiban Mii costume for the swordfighter. Both are fantastic characters and I can safely say the Yakuza series is in good hands.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
So, today I beat Yakuza: Like A Dragon.

Not only was it pretty handily the best game released in 2020, it's one of the best games I've ever played to the point that I might even be willing to say it's my favorite RPG of the generation and possibly ever. I loved it that much. It is a profoundly beautiful and special experience with characters and themes that hit me in ways no other Yakuza game ever has.

Now, I will still consider Kiryu one of my most-wanted Smash characters. He has the pedigree and history and moves to make a character that ticks all my boxes. But now I want Ichiban just as much if not more on a personal level, so I think I'll be starting a thread for him once I've put together some moveset ideas, spirits, etc. I'll probably make a challenger pack that's YLAD-focused and one that's more general, but I'll have to be careful about spoilers and such.

Anyway, I gotta say, if YLAD interests you in any way, it's worth it. Even the combat FEELS like the heavy-hitting beat-em-up style of other Yakuza games just by virtue of being super interesting in what it does with the environment and hazards.

If Kiryu gets in I hope we at least get an Ichiban Mii costume for the swordfighter. Both are fantastic characters and I can safely say the Yakuza series is in good hands.
It's a fantastic game. I was surprised because to be honest, while I found the new battle system for Yakuza very interesting, maybe I wasn't expecting such a polished combat. Obviously, they could improve it and I'm sure they will with Yakuza 8, assuming they'll keep the same battle system. So I'm very curious to see what they will do with it.

And yeah, Ichiban is a phenomenal and lovable character. He had a lot of pressure, being the new protagonist and having to fill the role of main character after Kiryu, but RGG Studio has created a great character. Really eager to see Ichiban's next adventure.

As of now I pretty much consider Yakuza 7 a top 3 Yakuza game. I have to play OG Yakuza 2 (I always found people saying it's a lot better in some aspects than Kiwami 2) and I feel I owe Yakuza 3 a replay, but at this moment I pretty much think Yakuza 7 is really up there for me.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
It's not easy to have a long lasting franchise that shares the protagonist in just about every mainline entry like Yakuza suddenly shift the focus onto an entirely new face, but Like a Dragon pulled it off like I think no other game has, Ichiban is just as likeable as Kiryu and Majima. The transition to turn based RPG felt super smooth as well, I feel it captured the idea behind the Mother series of having more present setting in a tone that I find so much more appealing.

Last edited:

ShotoStar

Smash Cadet
been recently getting into the absolutely kino series that is Yakuza. Finished Yakuza 0, Kiwami and now playing through Kiwami 2. Really good series and I'd absolutely love to see some Yakuza representation specifically Kiryu in Smash since he has the history, the legacy and the moveset to pull it off.

Needless to say I support Kiryu in Smash add me to Da List please. Oh also we absolutely need either a Maiima assist or Majima stage hazard if Kiryu gets in I'd love to see Majima appear in some way or form since he's my favorite, absolutely kino character.

2006ToyotaTacoma

Smash Journeyman
Yeah you can definitely add me to the support list for my 2nd most wanted character period, but then again any Yakuza rep would do lol. Since I've started playing the Yakuza games (0, Kiwami and Kiwami 2, about to start Like a Dragon), Kiryu would be an incredibly fun grounded fighter, would bring some great music, and would be a meme goldmine (especially if Majima makes an appearance in some way).

While the interview with Nagoshi does sting, there's a fact that makes the statement feel a bit iffy that I'm surprised no one has brought up yet: Kiryu was playable in Project X Zone 2, which featured multiple female fighters, one of which is in Smash Bros (Lucina).

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I should also take the time to mention in this thread as well that it seems the Kiryu stuff only applies to his own game and possibly Tekken as well, as it is harder hitting and more "realistic". In this IGN interview from a while ago, Nagoshi was asked about Kiryu in Smash and said that he doesn't think Sakurai is interested, but would be very happy to say yes.

Also I'm sure most of you have seen it by now, but I did make an Ichiban support thread! Click the link in my sig or in this forum to check it out if you haven't!

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Kiryu was playable in Project X Zone 2, which featured multiple female fighters, one of which is in Smash Bros (Lucina).
Oh yeah, that's right. He even came in his Dead Souls incarnation, no less. (With Majima)

I should also take the time to mention in this thread as well that it seems the Kiryu stuff only applies to his own game and possibly Tekken as well, as it is harder hitting and more "realistic". In this IGN interview from a while ago, Nagoshi was asked about Kiryu in Smash and said that he doesn't think Sakurai is interested, but would be very happy to say yes.

Also I'm sure most of you have seen it by now, but I did make an Ichiban support thread! Click the link in my sig or in this forum to check it out if you haven't!
A part of me thinks he's underestimating Nintendo and Sakurai's selection. So far most, of the DLC newcomers we got were off-the-cuff choices that acknowledged recent entries and series, so long as they got on Nintendo hardware at least once. He probably believes that the Wii U ports of 1+2 not doing especially well would discourage them from bringing a Yakuza character into Smash.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, interesting stuff has been happening as of late.

First Nagoshi's showing interest in making a new Sonic if given the chance, then Roger Craig Smith retiring from the role, and now this:
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...iggering_rumours_that_an_acquisition_is_afoot
Japanese game giant Sega is making some pretty sweeping changes at the moment, splitting its video game and amusement divisions and shifting CCO Toshihiro Nagoshi into the position of creative director, effective 1st April.
I wonder if all that isn't related...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hey guys I recently heard that the reason why Kazuma isn't in Smash because Nagoshi said he's not type of guy to use violence against female characters. Is that true or was it a mistranslation or maybe even a quote taken out of context?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Hey guys I recently heard that the reason why Kazuma isn't in Smash because Nagoshi said he's not type of guy to use violence against female characters. Is that true or was it a mistranslation or maybe even a quote taken out of context?
It was a quote taken out of context and it mostly referred to Tekken. Years earlier he was asked about Kiryu in Smash and said he would like to see it. If you scroll up I posted the link to the article pretty recently.

D

Deleted member

It was a quote taken out of context and it mostly referred to Tekken. Years earlier he was asked about Kiryu in Smash and said he would like to see it. If you scroll up I posted the link to the article pretty recently.
Is it the IGN interview you're talking about? I'm not sure if I should trust it because you know it's IGN.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
This part from the interview interests me:

IGN: Is there a possibility we'll ever see a Yakuza game on Nintendo Switch?

Nagoshi:
No plans at the moment.
This was circa 2019, so I wonder if that has changed since then.

Is it the IGN interview you're talking about? I'm not sure if I should trust it because you know it's IGN.
They're incompetent about game reviews, not articles. This isn't Kotaku.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This part from the interview interests me:

This was circa 2019, so I wonder if that has changed since then.

They're incompetent about game reviews, not articles. This isn't Kotaku.
I see. Although I still need to watch out as I could again bump into any mistranslated quotes or quotes that got taken out of context.

Top Bottom