• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kiryu Kazuma: The Dragon Of Dojima

Jimbob321

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-5297-9504-7795

If they can get Sonic into smash bros I think a second SEGA character being Kiryu would be an excellent idea,

Changing styles to change his move sets in 4 different ways, like Shulk but change moveset instead of stats.
Incorporating the heat system to do special heat moves, like a more varied version of Little max.

Staring in over 7 mainline games, 4 spin offs and 2 remakes to date.

And yes Japan had yakuza 1 and 2 released on wii u...for whatever thats worth.

Facing over against the other characters standing in the flames Kiryu whips his shirt off and charges to take all of them on himself, then in a Yakuza boss like intro his name comes up with "Kiryu Kazuma" and then under that it says "Dragon of Dojima" with all the characters swarming around him but time has slowed down, heres an example.
Also that song needs to play in the reveal trailer when it all happens.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
While I would rather have P5's Ren as the third Sega rep, Kiryu would be rad

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Hell yeah, this is a thread I can get behind. I'd love to see good ol' Kiryu-chan in Smash.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I am surprised that this thread is not more popular, especially with how Yakuza has become a lot more popular in the U.S. recently. At least, that is what I have noticed.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
kiryu is like doomguy, the kinda of character that looks to have no place in smash... until you see them on motion.

Would love that stupidly high energetic over thye top yakuza combat on smash actually.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
kiryu is like doomguy, the kinda of character that looks to have no place in smash... until you see them on motion.

Would love that stupidly high energetic over thye top yakuza combat on smash actually.
I also wonder if they can manage to sneak in some Hokuto Shinken somewhere to reference FOTNS Lost Paradise (in a family-friendly way, of course), and simply rename a move to get away with it. I could see them do something this crazy.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
After playing Yakuza 0, I'm down, I'd burst up laughing seeing Kiryu showing some Kamurocho style moves to the rest of the roster.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Kiryu is absolutely one of those pipe-dream characters I'd love to see make it in. He's in the same category as Snake where at first glance he seems out of place, but once you find out how insane his home series is, he starts to make perfect sense. I feel like the wackiness of Yakuza would fit in perfectly with Smash's tone, and Kiryu himself has a ton of fun moves to pull from. I really hope they incorporate his Heat Actions somehow, because that's where a lot of his best moves come from. Seeing Kiryu smash a bicycle over Bowser's head and doing crazy suplexes would be way too awesome to pass up, so count me in.

Also, the karaoke songs are a must for Yakuza music. The battle songs are good, but I will be so sad if Judgement and 24 Hour Cinderella are overlooked

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
you guys think that Nagoshi interview from a while ago speaks against Kiryus chances at all or nah.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Honestly, I’d love to see both Kiryu and Majima get into Smash, with music from the Yakuza/Ryu Ga Gotoku series, especially karaoke songs. Both originals and new remixes. So...count me in!

VongolaFair

Smash Apprentice
Kiryu’s in my top 10 characters for Smash and if we get another Sega rep down the line he’s certainly one of the most likeliest candidates to choose from since Yakuza is one of Sega’s popular and annual series that has also gained western popularity in the last few years.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Hello, I was considering Kiryu-san for a roster thing. My question is this: would he have a reasonable Echo Fighter choice?

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
my only experiences with Yakuza are 0, Kiwami and a bit of Kiwami 2, I can't attest for playable characters in later entries, but Majima would certainly play nothing like Kiryu I'll tell you that much.

Cruelcumber

Smash Cadet
I've been playing Yakuza 0 and I absolutely love it as a game. Kiryu would be awesome to see in Smash, especially since his franchise has a fantastic OST to it. I do struggle thinking of a recovery Up Special for him, but that's about it. Goro Majima would also be awesome to see as a fighter in Smash as well. Out of any existing Sega property at the moment, Yakuza is the one I think that should be represented now the most in Smash.

Krankees

Smash Ace
I fully support this. Loved playing Kiwami and now I want to play the rest of the series.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I'm kind of surprised to see so little Kiryu support within the Smash community, maybe beacuse the sereis only recently has mainstream appeal to western audiences. Anyway Kiryu I can totally picture getting in the seconds fighter pass, seems like the "out there" surprise pick in the same vein that Joker was. Yakuza is pretty big and is a continuously successful franchise, up to 18 games now including remakes and spin-offs.

I'm mainly familiar with Yakuza 0, so i thought it would be cool if he had the different fighting styles from that game n smash. It would kind of work like Monado Arts in that you can switch it, but not stuck on a time limit and The different styles give Kiryu slightly different attributes in addition to a few unique moves.
Brawler would be his standard style, maybe get a bonus to thowing and using items while in this style.
Rush could give him a little more movement speed and a better jab combo but weakens his grabs while in the style
Beast would make Kiryu a little heavier and give him some armor on some of his attacks.

Could be developed more, but honestly as long as if you can Smash people with a bicycle with his move set then it's perfect. Despite Kiryu being such a serious character, he often used as "The Straight Man" for the wacky humor of Yakuza, seeing his serious self next to Kirby and Pikachu would be hilarious and actually fit the tone of his series.

A traveling stage around Kamurocho would be fun, especially if you had multiple Majima cameos. Music would be amazing to be fight to, there's a plethora to chose from. A more obscure choice for the songlist would be some stuff from Kurohyou: Ryu Ga Gotoku Shinshou (Yakuza: Black Panther), it's a spin-off game but Hideki Naganuma of Jet Set Radio fame made some of the music and would love some more of it.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
OH yeah, I've been putting off joining, but hey add me, I'm a huge fan and I'd love to see Kiryu, Kamurocho, and the countless songs in Smash.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I may have only started with Yakuza 0 on PS4 last year, but after seeing Kiryu in action and thinking about how much fun he'd be in Smash, I'd have to say...
That's_Rad.gif

Kiryu is easily my most wanted SEGA character at this point in time. Despite coming off as serious and no-nonsense he probably wouldn't mind an invite to Smash Bros if you ask me. Count me in as a supporter.

I'm still thinking of a moveset for him, but I definitely see Kiryu using Styles and the Heat Gauge to give him even more powerful attacks.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Saw this thread, only played Yakuza 3 but Kiryu's perfect for Smash as it's kinda sorta the same thing, fighting a bunch of people with whatever random items are around to **** people up with.

Also one time I accidentally pulled a Heat attack with a bike on someone, would gladly do it in Smash

Krankees

Smash Ace
I'm really glad the entire main series is on PS4 with Yakuza 5 Remastered coming soon and Yakuza 7 releasing to the west later.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Kiryu may not be my top Sega pick, but he's big on my list of characters I'd love to see make it. Plus it'd make a lot of my close friends very, very happy. If there's a support list, I want on it.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I do have my doubts on the likeability of another SEGA rep, but hey, Joker was a surprise. I do think Arle has a more general push and a larger legacy as a whole to trump Kiryus chances, but I guess nothing is stopping both from happening should Nintendo or Sakurai feel like it.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
The Dragon of Dojima needs a bit more Smash discussion, sorry for the bump.
That said I'm still really enjoying Yakuza 0 - up to Chapter 14 I think after the crazy car chase scene. Though playing through it also makes me wonder in regards to the moveset for Kiryu I'm writing up -

Would Kiryu use a gun in his Smash moveset if he were to make it to Smash? We've got Bayonetta and Joker having their justifications for wielding guns - Bayonetta's guns are extremely fanciful and Joker wields an extremely realistic air-soft pistol. I could imagine Kiryu using a gun for a basic projectile so he doesn't have the extreme problems that Little Mac has with projectiles, but since Yakuza is a more realistic series compared to Bayonetta and Persona, I wonder if Sakurai would feel that Kiryu using a gun in Smash might be a tad problematic. But we all know it's no problem cause Kiryu always uses rubber bullets. :p

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The Dragon of Dojima needs a bit more Smash discussion, sorry for the bump.
That said I'm still really enjoying Yakuza 0 - up to Chapter 14 I think after the crazy car chase scene. Though playing through it also makes me wonder in regards to the moveset for Kiryu I'm writing up -

Would Kiryu use a gun in his Smash moveset if he were to make it to Smash? We've got Bayonetta and Joker having their justifications for wielding guns - Bayonetta's guns are extremely fanciful and Joker wields an extremely realistic air-soft pistol. I could imagine Kiryu using a gun for a basic projectile so he doesn't have the extreme problems that Little Mac has with projectiles, but since Yakuza is a more realistic series compared to Bayonetta and Persona, I wonder if Sakurai would feel that Kiryu using a gun in Smash might be a tad problematic. But we all know it's no problem cause Kiryu always uses rubber bullets. :p
Absolutely not. Kiryu doesn't shoot people if he doesn't have to. Much more fitting for him to pick up miscellaneous items off the floor and use them for makeshift weapons themselves.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Absolutely not. Kiryu doesn't shoot people if he doesn't have to. Much more fitting for him to pick up miscellaneous items off the floor and use them for makeshift weapons themselves.
That's a fitting response. Yeah unlike Joker or Bayonetta, Kiryu isn't particularly tied to firearms and mainly uses fisticuffs or found objects as weapons, so it would be seen as quite out-of-character now that I think about it a bit more. Thanks for the answer.

TooBadWaluigiTime

Smash Apprentice
Nah, man. Kiryu would take things from the background of the stage you're playing on and swing it around.

Which means, yes, Kiryu could pick up Geese Howard and swing him around like a baseball bat. Have fun with that mental image.

Oh, and I support Kiryu very much. One of my favorite series, and one of my favorite video game characters.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I’ve been trying to rally people around Kiryu in Smash, even if we don’t get Kiryu in Smash I hope more people will be aware of or play the Yakuza games.

Anyway, who would y’all want as the spirits for the Yakuza and how would their spirit battles go?

Matadormon

Smash Apprentice
I’ve been trying to rally people around Kiryu in Smash, even if we don’t get Kiryu in Smash I hope more people will be aware of or play the Yakuza games.

Anyway, who would y’all want as the spirits for the Yakuza and how would their spirit battles go?
For spirits, I can see that Majima (his Yakuza 0 render) would be Wolf. Because of their eyepatch. I can also see that Majima would be an ace type spirit that can be enhanced into his Yakuza 7 render. And be a legend type spirit.

Top Bottom