• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby's Toy Box - Kirby Moveset/AT/Competitive Discussion

quickbeam2

Smash Rookie
how would Kirby beat cloud? he seems to be a fast character with long range which usually spells out death for Kirby. (and before anybody points out that his projectile will be really useful for us remember that he has it to so we wont be able to spam and keep him out)

T Luthor

Smash Cadet
how would Kirby beat cloud? he seems to be a fast character with long range which usually spells out death for Kirby. (and before anybody points out that his projectile will be really useful for us remember that he has it to so we wont be able to spam and keep him out)
He's slow until limit break, and good weight for combo, also without Limit break his Recovery is ok at best.

PonderBot

Smash Cadet
Predicion: Kirby beats cloud, Hard match up with Corrin, mostly in Corrin's favour, And Don't think we need to talk about Bayonetta
I mostly agree though a lot of this will be based on their frame data since if it's even average then it changes a lot but I'm going to set that aside for right now. I think the cloud matchup is pretty good since the the projectile will help us with the neutral and his blade range (though I still think it's way smaller than it looks). The Corrin matchup will definitely be a struggle because of his/her range but I'm still wondering about the hat. Will we get just the little beam or the crazy mouth thing too? For Bayonetta I don't even know what to think. She looks like she already has predefined combos but most combos don't really work on us to begin with so hopefully we don't have to worry about that. The only thing about Bayonetta that's a little worrying is the knockback on a lot of her moves in the videos looked incredibly minimal. We don't weigh a lot so we already can't afford to take a lot of damage which worries me about our neutral against her since she has a projectile and combos that seem like they might affect us a lot too. I don't want to lose the anti-combo weight perk we have going for us :(

DblCrest

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DblCrest
3DS FC
0018-2708-3882
Also her down smash might be a problem when recovering :o
Though given her size stealing her ability will benefit Kirby more XD

PonderBot

Smash Cadet
Also her down smash might be a problem when recovering :o
Though given her size stealing her ability will benefit Kirby more XD
True though I'm still worried about the frame data. I'll be honest, it doesn't look as useful in Kirby's hands (butt) since the endlag looks bad.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
I don't normally use this subforum, so maybe anyone from here already discovered it and it may be not new at all.
But I think I discovered a new (True?) Combo from Dair. I found Dair to Bair to be pretty reliable on some percentages (don't remember exactly which, but I mostly used after ~70%) and F-Throw to Final Cutter around 30-50%. It may be not new, since it felt too natural to not be discovered before.

Last edited:

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Dair to Bair is just as guaranteed as Dair to Dsmash. They both hit on frame 10.

And Fthrow to Final Cutter is true, but its one of those combos that dont really get you anywhere (Like Dthrow to Up-B with Mario at 0%. There are more optimal choices). If your opponent has a slow reaction time and/or is bad at teching, you can Fthrow to FC in order to set up Dtilt locks.

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Sorry if this is a bad place but

:4kirby: Matchup Spread: Customs off

35:65::4yoshi::4sonic::4metaknight:

40:60::4tlink::4link::4pikachu::4mario:(Uncommon thought, but ugh this matchup):4peach::4feroy::4myfriends:

45:55::4luigi::4darkpit::4ness::4robinm::4marth::4lucina::4cloud::4duckhunt::4ryu::4pit::4darkpit::4greninja::rosalina::4megaman:

50:50::4sheik::4zss::4fox::4pacman::4shulk::4lucas::4bowserjr::4dk::4villager::4wario::4pacman::4kirby:

55:45::4falcon::4olimar::4gaw::4drmario::4lucario::4littlemac::4palutena::4wiifit::4rob::4charizard::4bowser::4ganondorf::4falco:

60:40::4zelda::4samus::4dedede:

???::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword::4corrin::4bayonetta:

Notes:
  • Mewtwo I feel was 60:40, but I'm not sure if it's still that or if it's 55:45 due to his buffs. Havn't played a Mewtwo yet this patch. I'm not sure how Mewtwo's buffs help him aganist Kirby, but going by how Kirby easily grabs him (Or at least used to, don't even HAVE Mewtwo so I'm not sure if that changed), the up throw buff really helps.
  • Havn't played any Bowsers or Lucas's since the patch either, so they could be wrong too.
  • Jigglypuff is kinda the opposite thing as Mewtwo, she's been ??? since the previus patch too. It's hard to too if she's even or 55:45. And this patch doesn't help, since it's hard to grab Jigglypuff because 1.Jigglypuff is usually in the air. 2.Pound is good for destroying shields. Other knockback buffs help though, espicially back air, so there's that.
  • Pac-Man could go either way (45:55 or 55:45) so I put him as even.
  • Samus feels more like 55:45, but only because I get scared as soon as the Samus I'm facing fully charges her charge shot
  • If you doubt Olimar being 55:45, try watching Kirby vs. Olimar when Kirby has the copy ability.
  • Never played aganist the Miis, guess is they're 55:45
  • Mr. Game & Watch is overrated
  • Luigi mainly had down throw combos, up special, and down special on Kirby. Now he only has two due to the nerfs. And Kirby has advantages aganist Luigi back. So it can't be bad for Kirby
  • Mario I feel is 40:60 because of his up special and up air easily killing Kirby, and his smashes also killing him easily. Basicially because Mario easily KOs Kirby. And smashes being hard to use due to cape. Which makes it hard for Kirby to get the kill.
  • The Kirby matchup was a really hard choice to make, it's such a hard matchup to rate, but finally, I decided 50:50 was best

quickbeam2

Smash Rookie
we lose to samus and dedede, the cloud matchup is way worse than that, we lose to dr. Mario and wario, jigglypuff is even, Yoshi is about the same as Mario, we lose to mewtwo and win against brawler.

TimG57867

Smash Ace
Sorry if this is a bad place but

:4kirby: Matchup Spread: Customs off

35:65::4yoshi::4sonic::4metaknight:

40:60::4tlink::4link::4pikachu::4mario:(Uncommon thought, but ugh this matchup):4peach::4feroy::4myfriends:

45:55::4luigi::4darkpit::4ness::4robinm::4marth::4lucina::4cloud::4duckhunt::4ryu::4pit::4darkpit::4greninja::rosalina::4megaman:

50:50::4sheik::4zss::4fox::4pacman::4shulk::4lucas::4bowserjr::4dk::4villager::4wario::4pacman::4kirby:

55:45::4falcon::4olimar::4gaw::4drmario::4lucario::4littlemac::4palutena::4wiifit::4rob::4charizard::4bowser::4ganondorf::4falco:

60:40::4zelda::4samus::4dedede:

???::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword::4corrin::4bayonetta:

Notes:
  • Mewtwo I feel was 60:40, but I'm not sure if it's still that or if it's 55:45 due to his buffs. Havn't played a Mewtwo yet this patch. I'm not sure how Mewtwo's buffs help him aganist Kirby, but going by how Kirby easily grabs him (Or at least used to, don't even HAVE Mewtwo so I'm not sure if that changed), the up throw buff really helps.
  • Havn't played any Bowsers or Lucas's since the patch either, so they could be wrong too.
  • Jigglypuff is kinda the opposite thing as Mewtwo, she's been ??? since the previus patch too. It's hard to too if she's even or 55:45. And this patch doesn't help, since it's hard to grab Jigglypuff because 1.Jigglypuff is usually in the air. 2.Pound is good for destroying shields. Other knockback buffs help though, espicially back air, so there's that.
  • Samus feels more like 55:45, but only because I get scared as soon as the Samus I'm facing fully charges her charge shot
  • If you doubt Olimar being 55:45, try watching Kirby vs. Olimar when Kirby has the copy ability.
  • Luigi mainly had down throw combos, up special, and down special on Kirby. Now he only has two due to the nerfs. And Kirby has advantages aganist Luigi back. So it can't be bad for Kirby
  • Mario I feel is 40:60 because of his up special and up air easily killing Kirby, and his smashes also killing him easily. Basicially because Mario easily KOs Kirby. And smashes being hard to use due to cape. Which makes it hard for Kirby to get the kill.
  • The Kirby matchup was a really hard choice to make, it's such a hard matchup to rate, but finally, I decided 50:50 was best
Eh. I have my own opinions regarding Kirby's match up spread, though I think we should wait a bit, get some experience, and watch how high level Kirby players perform with the buffs before we start drawing up new ratios. Also I don't think this is the best place for that, but at the same time, we don't really HAVE much of a place for that since the old matchup thread is dead and the new still only has threads for :4fox::4sheik::4zss::4diddy: and :4luigi:. And it's thus I have been meaning to ask, SapphSabre777 SapphSabre777 , when will new matchup threads be made? I think it's been several months since the last one was made, and now that Kirby has gotten some notable buffs, I think it would be appropriate to continue discussion. I mean of course, with the game still developing and patches still inbound, we can't draw conclusive ratios yet, but matchup discussion in general will help those who need the info. Are you too busy? If so perhaps someone else could take over? I personally wouldn't mind, especially now that I'm out for Winter Break. Though perhaps someone like Reserved or t1mmy is more qualified?

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
Eh. I have my own opinions regarding Kirby's match up spread, though I think we should wait a bit, get some experience, and watch how high level Kirby players perform with the buffs before we start drawing up new ratios. Also I don't think this is the best place for that, but at the same time, we don't really HAVE much of a place for that since the old matchup thread is dead and the new still only has threads for :4fox::4sheik::4zss::4diddy: and :4luigi:. And it's thus I have been meaning to ask, SapphSabre777 SapphSabre777 , when will new matchup threads be made? I think it's been several months since the last one was made, and now that Kirby has gotten some notable buffs, I think it would be appropriate to continue discussion. I mean of course, with the game still developing and patches still inbound, we can't draw conclusive ratios yet, but matchup discussion in general will help those who need the info. Are you too busy? If so perhaps someone else could take over? I personally wouldn't mind, especially now that I'm out for Winter Break. Though perhaps someone like Reserved or t1mmy is more qualified?
Yeah, I was personally too busy with the whole college thing, so it overwhelmed me when I did this, nor did I have the drive in order to continue this. Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima , if you could, please transfer these rights of making discussions to someone else that can do it in a more timely matter.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I'll work on it in a bit.

However, those threads aren't made to throw out MU ratios. The whole concept dilutes from discussion and generally ruins the threads.

PonderBot

Smash Cadet
I've been playing against a friend's Cloud (he's pretty good with sword characters overall) and I have to say the Cloud matchup sucks -_-

Komota

Smash Rookie
PonderBot said:
I've been playing against a friend's Cloud (he's pretty good with sword characters overall) and I have to say the Cloud matchup sucks -_-
Yeah, it's pretty tough. Cloud can kill us very early on, and his up air/down air stuff our aerial approaches incredibly well; Uair in particular is incredibly annoying to deal with given our crappy air/fall speed... If the Cloud is good enough I daresay we'd never hit the ground. I'm sure there's something we could do about him, though. PP Utilts seem to work pretty well for punishing his aerials if he lands with them but otherwise I'm not sure what the best way to go about it is. Also, his neutral B is surprisingly unhelpful in the matchup, given how much end lag it has. Seriously not worth trying to get it unless you want the swaggin' Cloud hair.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Cloud's Neutral B is close to the same endlag as Ryu's Hadouken, so I'd say it's useful.

TimG57867

Smash Ace
I've come to see Cloud as :4littlemac: with a sword: posseses many powerful moves with zero cooldown, supreme mobility, and "KO Punch" type mechanic, all at the price of nonexistent recovery. I've actually played against quite a few Clouds of various skill level. It is tough but so far I've only lost one game to Clouds as Kirby. I've actually struggled more with my secondaries like Mario. I plan to put my matches in the video thread so I can get your opinions on whether the matchup is being played optimally or not.

Personally, what I do is, almost as soon as the match starts, I take his neutral B. We can't wall him out but it definitely gives mileage in neutral and can pressure his recovery. As for playing the neutral itself, shield is your best friend in this matchup. The fortunate thing about fighting Cloud is that, just like Little Mac, his options against shield are quite limited. When Cloud gets in my blind spot, I always have my shield up as I know the worst he can do is grab me for positioning. When my shield is low, I back off a bit while using his neutral B. Now, one thing that I noticed quickly as I said earlier is that his have very little lag. If throws out something like his side B or F-Smash, he's almost certainly going to spot dodge, roll, or D-Tilt. So I've learned to deal with this by not immediately trying to punish him unless I'm right in his face and instead back off so that I can punish is next action. And when it comes to that, lingering hit boxes are effective at catching the stuff he does after throwing out a move. I've actually been getting quite a lot of use out of N-Air in this matchup. Another thing to keep in mind is that for how good he is at juggling, his disadvantage state isn't spectacular either. Like most sword users, he has few get off me options which makes strings relatively safe and he overly relies on D-Air to land so if you scout it out and he doesn't cancel it right, you can give a good punish. When he's in Limit Break, you need to get him to blow as soon as possible. I try to smash him off stage to get him to blow it on his recovery. But if that's not possible, I instead bait him to wasting on a move. Keep your shield in good shape is the key to winning this matchup.

Funnily enough, the only thing I am really struggling with so for is taking advantage of his bad recovery. I've only gotten a good gimp once. I often get swatted away with an aerial or something. Perhaps I'll start Down B'ing on the ledge.

PS: It's hilarious how this is slowly becoming becoming a matchup thread. Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima , we need a thread on :4cloud: and quick. lol

Last edited:

DblCrest

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DblCrest
3DS FC
0018-2708-3882
How about stone for stopping Cloud's recovery? Seeing as it doesn't snap the edge unless it's limit and him going for the air dodge after a second jump could be life or death.

Last edited:

AirFighter

Smash Rookie
I know you guys are on a different subject, but I would like your input on something. As I can tell from some of your comments that you guys know Kirby pretty well. So I am going to share with you a small portion of combos that I have labbed. This is for midweights ONLY.

Guaranteed Combos:
Double Utilts, up-smash: (17-26%)
Utilt, up-smash: (16-50%)
Utilt, (shorthop) inhale: (20-60%)
ANY percent: Dair, inhale (PS: I don't know how you could but the only way for this combo not to work if you racked your opponent up all the way to 999%)
Dair, Utilt, bair: (0-23%)
Dair, Utilt, fair: (0-25%) NOTE: your opponent has to fly in front of you when you Utilt (PS: you can combo just starting with Utilt as well)
Dair, Fthrow, Fair: (0-26%)
Utilt, regular jump, inhale: (50-73%)
Utilit, Uair: (69-97%)
Dair, jab: (0-102%)
2 Utilt: (0-29%)
Utilt, Nair: (15-47%)
Utilt, Bair: (7-36%)
Fthrow, fair: (39-81%) (This also means jumping at higher percent to catch your opponent)
Fthrow, Jump, Uair: (63-72%)
Utilt, Uair: (45-65%)

A couple things to keep in mind about these combos:
You are using the FULL dair. Your damage varies when you only catch a little of the dair. Also another thing dtilt reset varies. It could happen on the first try or the second, it just depends. This is all with out rage.

True combos (but unnecessary):
These combos are true, but not recommended to use so take it with a grain of salt.
Utilt, (analog downwards) ftilt: (0-4%)
Utilt, (analog mid-straight) ftilt: (5-7%)
Utilt, (analog facing top) ftilt: (7-19%)

Kill set-ups:
Dair, Upsmash: (93% and above)
Dair, Downsmash: (114% and above)
NOTE: NOT TRUE COMBOS (PS: could catch your opponent off guard though if they aren't smart.

I hope this is useful and I will be posting specific combos with specific characters as well as testing lightweights and heavy weights. One other thing is that I will be posting percent where Kirby can kill opponents, that includes throws. Thank you.:):4kirby:Have fun reading.

T Luthor

Smash Cadet
I know you guys are on a different subject, but I would like your input on something. As I can tell from some of your comments that you guys know Kirby pretty well. So I am going to share with you a small portion of combos that I have labbed. This is for midweights ONLY.

Guaranteed Combos:
Double Utilts, up-smash: (17-26%)
Utilt, up-smash: (16-50%)
Utilt, (shorthop) inhale: (20-60%)
ANY percent: Dair, inhale (PS: I don't know how you could but the only way for this combo not to work if you racked your opponent up all the way to 999%)
Dair, Utilt, bair: (0-23%)
Dair, Utilt, fair: (0-25%) NOTE: your opponent has to fly in front of you when you Utilt (PS: you can combo just starting with Utilt as well)
Dair, Fthrow, Fair: (0-26%)
Utilt, regular jump, inhale: (50-73%)
Utilit, Uair: (69-97%)
Dair, jab: (0-102%)
2 Utilt: (0-29%)
Utilt, Nair: (15-47%)
Utilt, Bair: (7-36%)
Fthrow, fair: (39-81%) (This also means jumping at higher percent to catch your opponent)
Fthrow, Jump, Uair: (63-72%)
Utilt, Uair: (45-65%)

A couple things to keep in mind about these combos:
You are using the FULL dair. Your damage varies when you only catch a little of the dair. Also another thing dtilt reset varies. It could happen on the first try or the second, it just depends. This is all with out rage.

True combos (but unnecessary):
These combos are true, but not recommended to use so take it with a grain of salt.
Utilt, (analog downwards) ftilt: (0-4%)
Utilt, (analog mid-straight) ftilt: (5-7%)
Utilt, (analog facing top) ftilt: (7-19%)

Kill set-ups:
Dair, Upsmash: (93% and above)
Dair, Downsmash: (114% and above)
NOTE: NOT TRUE COMBOS (PS: could catch your opponent off guard though if they aren't smart.

I hope this is useful and I will be posting specific combos with specific characters as well as testing lightweights and heavy weights. One other thing is that I will be posting percent where Kirby can kill opponents, that includes throws. Thank you.:):4kirby:Have fun reading.

VERY useful for me, thanks

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Speaking of combos, you guys aernt ready for the video Im uploading tomorrow. Should be a nice Christmas present to most Kirby players. Most of us here already know a lot of the stuff in the video though.

Edit: Its more centered towrds players who want to know more about Kirby's combos. Think EOE's Peach combo tutorial videos.

Last edited:

WootSnorlax

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of combos, you guys aernt ready for the video Im uploading tomorrow. Should be a nice Christmas present to most Kirby players. Most of us here already know a lot of the stuff in the video though.
Pls upload all your lab footage. :^)

AirFighter

Smash Rookie
Anything will help. Thanks for the input. Also how do you quote:urg::urg:?

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Notes:
Luigi is more problematic than that. He makes it hard to do anything, and we can't combo him nearly as well as he can still combo us.

Mario also isn't hard because he kills us easily - most chars do. He has a super fast Nair to combo break (oh, same with weegee), amazing combos, invincible on... frame 3(?) up-b, and gimps us relatively easily. Then you go to his smashes, which can be difficult to punish, and his better-than-ours mobility (so he can punish us). Also a projectile.

Don't have the appropriate level of experience to comment on the other matchups. Though I would like to say "damn that Shadow Ball Buff." That is all.

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
Have we got any more info on that Cloud match up, they're on for glory like Starbucks in city centres
Not enough experience yet from my end, and the consensus from many of the top Kirby players is so scattered that it is difficult to accurately pinpoint where the MU goes. Cloud is still new, is still developing, and a lot of players (not just Kirby players) are trying to learn the matchup. It's going to take a while to get a solid viewpoint of the MU, so I'd say simply practice and learn yourself. Doesn't come as much help, really, but he's only been out for two weeks and barely anyone has any worthwhile experience.

AirFighter

Smash Rookie
Luigi is more problematic than that. He makes it hard to do anything, and we can't combo him nearly as well as he can still combo us.

Mario also isn't hard because he kills us easily - most chars do. He has a super fast Nair to combo break (oh, same with weegee), amazing combos, invincible on... frame 3(?) up-b, and gimps us relatively easily. Then you go to his smashes, which can be difficult to punish, and his better-than-ours mobility (so he can punish us). Also a projectile.

Don't have the appropriate level of experience to comment on the other matchups. Though I would like to say "damn that Shadow Ball Buff." That is all.
I definitely agree with you there. The one other reason that comes to mind is that he has so much wind knockback that we can't shield grab him and that interrupts most of our combos.

Not enough experience yet from my end, and the consensus from many of the top Kirby players is so scattered that it is difficult to accurately pinpoint where the MU goes. Cloud is still new, is still developing, and a lot of players (not just Kirby players) are trying to learn the matchup. It's going to take a while to get a solid viewpoint of the MU, so I'd say simply practice and learn yourself. Doesn't come as much help, really, but he's only been out for two weeks and barely anyone has any worthwhile experience.
I have a friend that plays Cloud, and I have to say, the MU is not that HARD. The support for this claim is that if you inhale cloud you get a projectile. His recovery (no offense to Cloud players) is WORSE than :4littlemac:. Yea that guy. So just play it safe, if cloud approaches just inhale to get his projectile and then work out the match from there depending on the person your playing.
How about stone for stopping Cloud's recovery? Seeing as it doesn't snap the edge unless it's limit and him going for the air dodge after a second jump could be life or death.
That works to.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I have a friend that plays Cloud, and I have to say, the MU is not that HARD.
His recovery (no offense to Cloud players) is WORSE than :4littlemac:.
That's cool that the MU is not too hard for you, but not all the rest of the Kirbys play solely against your friend so that might be why there's a difference of opinion.

If you could tell me how Cloud's recovery is worse than Little Mac's I'd be glad to hear it. They both have exploitable recoveries, but I feel like if Cloud's were worse than Little Mac's then I'd be taking stocks from him left and right.

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
Sorry if this is the wrong thread to post this in. I'm picking up Kirby as a secondary because imo he's pretty underrated and will help with a few matchup issues I have.

I didn't see this answered in the OP, but what dictates when you lose your copy ability when getting attacked?

Dessa

Smash Journeyman
Sorry if this is the wrong thread to post this in. I'm picking up Kirby as a secondary because imo he's pretty underrated and will help with a few matchup issues I have.

I didn't see this answered in the OP, but what dictates when you lose your copy ability when getting attacked?
Damage. It seems to be a percentage chance on every hit, with a stronger hit being more likely to knock it out. It doesn't seem to proc that often (you're more likely to die before that).

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
It's compleeeeetely random. Just like it was in Brawl, and probably every game. :D
Could be from getting jabbed once right after getting power, could be after getting hit 20 times, you never know.

Last edited:

T Luthor

Smash Cadet
THIS WEDNESDAY-THURSDAY MY BOY KAMUI SHALL JOIN MY ROSTER AND BE MY SECONDARY (screams)

(Ahem, straightens tie and fixes hair) Now that we have seen more, what do you guys think of our match up with Bay and Cor, I say Bay is easy combo bait but we have to be defensive and watch for guns, however Corrin can hit us low and paralyze us when he wishes so I think the match up will be heavily in his favour.

(I apologise if you refer to Kamui as female all the time and this was weird for you to read)

Dessa

Smash Journeyman
I don't know about those matchups, but that new stage looks very friendly to Kirby's uthrow. Big wide platforms that float off the top of the screen? Kirby could get some really low percentage kills off of that.

And it looks like it'll be tournament-legal from what I've seen so far.

Edit: The downside might be that the platform could carry you up and off while you're in endlag.

Last edited:
Top Bottom