• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby's Throw Discussion

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
Thought i would start a new thread to discuss Kirby's throwing game (inhale swallow(B) and spit(A) included) such as what characters certain throws will be good against, when certain throws are best to use and any chain throws. I only play with people like 1-2 times a week and haven't thought to experiment with throws to much for some reason (tech chasing down throws i guess), but i'll "throw" what little knowledge I have out there.

First thing i will put out there (which i noticed in a video) is that you can use a aerial after forward throw before you hit the ground. This allows at 0 to like 18% to forward throw, then use a Fair, hit with a weak hit and regrab. You should be able to grab them a total of 3 time (starting grab and 2 regrabs).

Certain characters like Luigi at like 80-90% can be down thrown and will be high enough to up smashed before they can react (freaking sex kicks...). The only way they can avoid this is by DI away in front of you which won't save them for long.

I'm not 100% sure on this one, but i believe that you can inhale snake swallow him and then turn around and do a up smash.

Up throw at low mid % can be combined with a Uair or Nair, but it is hard to work with because there is plenty of time for the opponent to think about their DI.

I believe that both Luigi and Kirby can be chain with down throw.

That's all i can think of off the top of my head right now. If any of it's wrong i welcome being corrected.

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
To add on for grab>inhale, I believe you can fthrow and inhale Falco.

Don't have the video, but Chudat won Winners Finals in 5 minutes with Kirby inhale shenanigans. Saw him do fthrow>inhale

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
Bthrow is the only throw that I don't see having any combo potential. Uthrow can lead into Uair on bad di, and fthrow can lead into uair (I think this is called the Gonzo combo) on bad di. And when the percent is high enough dthrow can lead into fsmash or usmash.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah b-throw seems designed to send people off stage to try and go for gimps, I haven't been able to combo out it well at all.

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
I was wondering if anyone had done anything different with back throw.

Mentioned it in other post but inhaling a sonic that is in the middle of his Up-B will result in him his losing jumps and up-b, all you have to do is let him wiggle out and fall to his death.

Earlier today on pokemon stadium 1 in the earth transformation on the left side of the stadium I threw a friend with forward throw i believe and we end up being sent off the stage and i was close enough to edgehog his ganon. I think when i threw him forward that we hit the side of the hill and were knocked back off of it because of the force. Not sure but it something new.

Also, if you use down throw on edge of Yoshi's Island people will be spiked to their deaths right? and if so are there any other places like that on other stages?

Last edited:

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
I feel like F-Throw and U-Throw are only ever useful against specific characters and bad DI. Gonzo Combo needs to make a comeback. :p

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
Also, if you use down throw on edge of Yoshi's Island people will be spiked to their deaths right? and if so are there any other places like that on other stages?
I saved a replay a while ago where I did that to a ZSS on Metal Cavern.

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
Ya, Up throw is easy to DI and doesn't kill until you get really high % where other moves would have killed much sooner. That is unless stage has very low ceiling and a high platform (warioware) to use. Also, if they DI far away, which a lot of people will, from you left or right you can possibly get them with cutter dash in the air and maybe add a Uair or something. Would just have to be careful to put yourself in a bad position off the edge since you lost a jump and your upB until you touch the ground.

Forward throw seems to be at its best at 0% and then after you get higher only good if you want to throw someone off the edge.

Video of Gonzo combo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EWKyT37KiY need to skip like 45 second in.

I would really like to see chu's grab inhale game that you mentioned.

To add on for grab>inhale, I believe you can fthrow and inhale Falco.

Don't have the video, but Chudat won Winners Finals in 5 minutes with Kirby inhale shenanigans. Saw him do fthrow>inhale
ROFL is this the one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D-as2ZmoOg That edge inhaling is nice.

Last edited:

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
Ya, Up throw is easy to DI and doesn't kill until you get really high % where other moves would have killed much sooner. That is unless stage has very low ceiling and a high platform (warioware) to use. Also, if they DI far away, which a lot of people will, from you left or right you can possibly get them with cutter dash in the air and maybe add a Uair or something. Would just have to be careful to put yourself in a bad position off the edge since you lost a jump and your upB until you touch the ground.

Forward throw seems to be at its best at 0% and then after you get higher only good if you want to throw someone off the edge.

Video of Gonzo combo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EWKyT37KiY need to skip like 45 second in.

I would really like to see chu's grab inhale game that you mentioned.

ROFL is this the one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D-as2ZmoOg That edge inhaling is nice.
Yes that sure is the one. Probably the fastest WF games of all time.

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
What about using Uthrow at low % followed by inhale for the other character's special power?

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
I think using forward throw and then wavelanding shows some potential for kirby's throw game.

roman5hero

Smash Apprentice
I've been doing f throw nair on Fox at low percent near the edge it sends him out and down pretty much just the way his shine does actually. sets up an easy gimp

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
At like 35-50% i have been able to land short hop hammers a few time on people after a back throw off the edge or platform. Could be unfortunate DI, but needs further testing.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Ive been using b-throw > backwards FC on the ledge to "spike" opponents. They usually dont react to it because they dont see it coming. Just keep mixing it up with either a cutter dash or a FC on stage so that the projectile hits them and possibly steal their jump.

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
Ive been using b-throw > backwards FC on the ledge to "spike" opponents. They usually dont react to it because they dont see it coming. Just keep mixing it up with either a cutter dash or a FC on stage so that the projectile hits them and possibly steal their jump.
I didn't think of that and with cutterdash it may allow a dair or something.

At low % you can bthrow off edge to inhale pretty easily and if they catch on to that you can reverse the inhale if they try to go under you.

SSS

Smash Ace
Dthrow to upsmash is godly and you can easily follow their DI and you feel like goddamn Fox.

Inhale>swallow can lead to bair.

Inhale>spit is janky but a lot of the time they are mashing out of your mouth and bounce back quickly. Most people don't know it's safer to just let the star go really far, they just mash and bounce back towards you. You can follow this and get another inhale. Inhale chaingrabs are godly.

Honestly dthrow is your best bet, pretty much always. Bthrow is a joke. If they DI at all, fthrow is a joke (except at like reallllllly low percents). Uthrow looks good but guess what? It's a joke. Although inhale off of it is a possibility. . .but no. DI too stronk. JOKE.

Just dthrow then turn around. If they neutral tech, turn around and grab. If they tech through you, just grab. If they tech away, dash attack that biotch. If they don't tech, just hang out until they do something, then either grab or dash attack. Unless of course you know which way they're going to tech because you have that Captain Falcon techchase intuition, in which case run over there and grab or upsmash or idk hammer them.

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
Dthrow is really good, but i think you are underestimating the other throws. They are pretty good at earlier % and if you mix them in with dthrow you can take someone by surprise and put on some pretty good damage or put them in a gimpable position.

Low % DI of Uthrow isn't to bad and you can chase them with a aerial cutter dash (only uses 1 of your jumps) which can lead to another aerial which may lead to juggle. So, i see it having potential to combo or at least tag on some decent %.

Bthrow is best to use throwing them off the edge and is useful for kirbyciding at low %. Bthrow off the edge or platform can lead to a hammer if opponent doesn't DI correctly at around 30-45%.

Fthrow... ya that's only good at very low % with a Fair or Uair attached to it, but against fast faller with the addition of immediately wavelanding may lead to few more grabs and %.

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
...I'm still disappointed that U-Throw has no kill power. Would it be unreasonable/jank/toxic/cheese if it reliably killed non-fastfallers around 140-150%?

Top Bottom