• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby's Stage Counterpicks

PiBs

Smash Journeyman
What stages do you like to counterpick for Kirby?

What is your favourite start stage?

What is the best stage for inhale kills? (All hail the mighty Chudat)

My favourite Kirby stage has got to be Fountain of Dreams. I like the size of the map; just big enough for Kirby to live long and be able to get the kill over the top. The moving platforms also do not bother me.

Smashville is probably the best for inhale kills.

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
Favorite counter picks are Green Hill Zone and Warioware. Yea they're small, but you can get some quick kills if you play the stage right.

Best/Favorite stage for me is Dreamland. Home field advantage, Kirby's weight makes him stay alive, and he can maneuver easily in it.

Best stages for inhales are any that have an underside. Lylat, Battlefield, Smashville, Dreamland.

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
Personal Favorite: Skyloft. Don't know why, but i just do well on this stage.
Hard Hitting Characters: Dreamland and Final Destination. Kirby can survive longer + his gimp gives him the advantage on these stages.
Characters that have hard time killing: Green Hill Zone or Warioware. Kirby can kill other characters at like 40-50% on those stages.

Glick

Smash Lord
Not sure how many people know this but you can actually dash attack from the middle platform on lylat and get a lagless landing on the side platform. ontop of the ledge ****ing certain characters it's a pretty strong counterpick.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
I generally like any stage with slopes (Lylat, YS, YI) to utilize cutter dash mindgames, FoD, and Dreamland.

SSS

Smash Ace
I'm a big fan of Skyworld and Dreamland. I hate Warioware against characters like Charizard but I love it against characters like Samus and other floaties I can dthrow>usmash. I'm comfortable on Battlefield and Smashville. While I'm a big fan of PS2 in general, I don't like it with Kirby. Final Destination isn't the greatest for some reason. Lylat Cruise makes me uncomfortable and always has since Brawl. I don't really like Green Hill Zone that much because it has a highish ceiling and closeish side blastzones. I guess I don't mind it too much though. Fountain of Dreams is good.

In general I want to avoid lower ceilings and deeper bottoms. Side blastzones can be looked at either way. Either you want to survive and use the bigger side blastzone to Wall of Pain them away, or you can look for short ones for easy bair kills. Also blastzone size changes depending on how well they kill. Kirby has a problem killing some characters. Like I said, Charizard kills you super easy on WarioWare but it takes him forever on Dreamland. It takes you forever on Dreamland, too, but it's more equal on Dreamland than Warioware. Also DL gives you gimps (even though Charizard is hard to gimp. . .f**k that matchup). Meanwhile though floaties with good recoveries should be taken to WarioWare rather than Dreamland.

Warioware and Dreamland are just the two extremes of blastzones. GASP. Idea. I need to make a graph that plots blastzones of all the tournament stages. X axis for side blastzones, Y axis for ceiling blastzones. . .THIS IS GONNA BE SO GOOD.

AND THEN I'LL MAKE ANOTHER GRAPH THAT TAKES THE AVERAGE BLASTZONE SIZE BETWEEN SIDE AND UPPER AND GRAPH IT AGAINST SIZE OF STAGE OR SOMETHING.

Anyway I think in general I like to go for smallish ceilings and largeish walls and bottoms. It depends on the matchup, but still.

Last edited:

PiBs

Smash Journeyman
The general consensus is that Skyworld, FoD, and Dreamland are good counterpicks for Kirby because of the platform placing and size of the side and upper blastzones; also dreamalnd is good for inhale kills. Sometimes you will have to pick yoshis, warioware, or green hill zone to counterpick a character with a good recovery that you are having trouble killing.

SSS

Smash Ace
The general consensus is that Skyworld, FoD, and Dreamland are good counterpicks for Kirby because of the platform placing and size of the side and upper blastzones; also dreamalnd is good for inhale kills. Sometimes you will have to pick yoshis, warioware, or green hill zone to counterpick a character with a good recovery that you are having trouble killing.
i.e. Samus

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
You are amazing SSS.

Also samus is annoying to gimp, but i do like to play her on dreamland because she has a hard time killing me while I have plenty of time to gimp her off the stage as well as inhaling and spitting her under the stage. You will have to go out far to get her because of her absurd tether range though, but if you can poke her like once before she gets in tether range she is screwed.

Also, just like jumps she has to touch the ground/ledge before she can tether again and i THINK if she is under the edge or on the stage side of the ledge the tether won't grab the ledge.

SSS

Smash Ace
Aww. Thanks. Who knew Lylat Cruise and Smashville had the same blastzones? Also who knew you killed off the top of Yoshi Story before Warioware? Also who knew Skyworld had larger side blastzones than Dreamland? Skyworld is interesting. It has a high top blastzone, sure, but not as high as Dreamland, and it has by far the biggest side blastzones. So if you find yourself getting killed off the sides a lot, consider counterpicking to Skyworld.

Nambrik

Smash Rookie
If Metal Cavern was a counterpick, I would do it every time. Projectiles don't bother you as much, your dash attack is god, and you inhale-spit under the stage so you can recover.

aquanesia

Smash Cadet
I've really been liking WarioWare. I think kirby can use the top platform, along with the middle platform, to space and zone out opponents in ways that other characters can't.

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
Still, it's nice to have the option. We would be golden if they made U-Throw a late percent killer like what Link/Marth/Roy have.

JRad

Smash Apprentice
I think we all basically agree that Dreamland is probably best for Kirby. I tend to favor big stages in general because Kirby lives longer and a lot of my kills are off ledgeguard or gimps anyway. Im actually not the biggest fan of FoD but I can see why some of you like it. Unfortunately Dreamland gets banned against me a lot so I usually CP smashville but now taht I see what you guys have to say about Skyloft I am definitely going to give that a shot

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Dreamland, FoD, GhZ, Skyworld, Yoshi's Island, and Lylat seem like they are the best ones imo.

Top Bottom