• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Kirby's Pondering Curse - Kirby Q&A/FAQ/Directory [CHECK HERE BEFORE MAKING A NEW THREAD]

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Did we ever get frame data on grounded stone. Cus i was wondering about that. It seems like theres definitely some applications there

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
Did we ever get frame data on grounded stone. Cus i was wondering about that. It seems like theres definitely some applications there
It's like 10-11ish, according to Asdioh. I think.

Last edited:

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
A lot of Sheik's tech is based on needles and needle cancelling into things and movement. If Kirby gets the needles, does he have access to a lot of this tech?

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Yes, Kirby has access to all of Sheik's needle tech. He has access to any character specific tech that involves their neutral special as unlike the other games, they're 1:1 clones.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Rosaluma's and Olimar's are special cases. Kirby's olimar ability cant even land cancel like olimars, but it could in Brawl. Kirby also doesnt get DK's Giant Punch shoulder hit massive KB.

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
What are Sheik's useful Needle techs, that don't involve her great runspeed in some way? Kirby gets little to no use out of some B-techniques because his SPEED IS SO LOW.

Easy example? Compare ZSS "wavebounce" Paralyzer to Kirby's.
ZSS runs, jumps toward you, and then suddenly reverses her momentum and goes backwards quite a bit and shoots the paralyzer toward you.
Kirby runs, jumps toward you, and then also reverses his momentum, but he barely moves at all, and then shoots the paralyzer toward you. It's so small it's hardly even worth practicing.

T Luthor

Smash Cadet
Sorry if it's been discussed already but I didn't see it, but has anyone discovered a technique to actually get a confirmed spike with the final cutter, or a known position in which to set it up???

EDIT: found the thread

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
So basically the only useful thing we can do is cancel our (much slower) run, and then be able to act freely. Less useful than Sheik's of course, but still somewhat useful.
How much would say getting needles swings the MU direction for us, though? I mean, what cases would you use that sort of tech in the match?

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
So, I'm trying to utilize my advantage state better so I can make winning neutral actually matter for me. When dairing someone into utilt strings, what indication should you look for when knowing when to uair? Tired of dropping free punishes due to uair's awkward startup, so I was curious.

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
So, I'm trying to utilize my advantage state better so I can make winning neutral actually matter for me. When dairing someone into utilt strings, what indication should you look for when knowing when to uair? Tired of dropping free punishes due to uair's awkward startup, so I was curious.
There is no universal "same percentage" as to when you can go from a U-Tilt to U-Air; however, there is a tell-tale animation for each character that holds as a cue to U-Air being an available option. When a character starts making grunting sounds and starts to flip around in the air, that is the cue to which you can confidently do so. Since U-Tilt has a sweet and sour spot, it is important to note at what % does each variation cause the phenomenon (we can safely assume sweet U-Tilt causes this earlier and launches higher and sour causes the reverse effect, later and lower).

However, DI, rage, fall speed, and weight play a huge part in terms in affecting which %s will allow a U-Air finisher, so it is very variable as to when it is an available option (as is everything else in this game). Consequently, these factors determine how long U-Air is a viable finisher or even a viable option to begin with. A good example is Captain Falcon, whom thanks to his heavyweight and fall speed allow all Kirby to follow-up with U-Airs and keep Falcon in a disadvantage state, compared to lighter characters like Jigglypuff to which it becomes less of an option thanks to how floaty and light she is.

I can do a 0% analysis (when U-Tilt -> U-Air connects and when U-Tilt causes the "flipping hitstun") of this on a later date, if requested.

Fanttum

Smash Cadet
When charging needles in the air you can cancel as you land for no extra lag of any kind.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
My question is:

What are perfect pivots, how do you use them, and how do they help Kirby?

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys has there been a thread about forward throw into copy abilitys? I believe samus and lucairos charge shots might be guaranteed at low precents

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Btw, were there any other Kirby mains in BH5 aside from @Triple R this year? Any word on how he did in his pools, btw?

Dessa

Smash Journeyman
I thought I saw a mention of Mike Kirby up in there somewhere.

Am I the only one that finds the state of our little Esport SUPER ANNOYING? Like, the only way to follow an event is to watch the whole damn thing, and finding videos of specific matches after the fact is a total crapshoot.

Man, I just wanna see me some RRR and Mkby ;-;

Last edited:

Dessa

Smash Journeyman
Whoooah, Zero lost? Man, people probably been talkin about that and I'm just walkin in like a chump. But still, damn. Who beat him?

Bribery

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bribery
3DS FC
3626-0596-6286
Whoooah, Zero lost? Man, people probably been talkin about that and I'm just walkin in like a chump. But still, damn. Who beat him?
Seagull Joe. It was a 2-0 too :018:

Dessa

Smash Journeyman
Tracked it down. Ot was a close 2-0. Joe played his butt off. Good for him! I love Zero, but it's nice to see he's not invincible.

TimG57867

Smash Ace
I thought I saw a mention of Mike Kirby up in there somewhere.

Am I the only one that finds the state of our little Esport SUPER ANNOYING? Like, the only way to follow an event is to watch the whole damn thing, and finding videos of specific matches after the fact is a total crapshoot.

Man, I just wanna see me some RRR and Mkby ;-;
Actually Mike Kirby has been Hawaii entering tournaments there.

TheKirbySage

Smash Rookie
NNID
KirbySage
I'm recently got into competitive earlier this year (February) and I'm looking for some advice/help from other Kirby mains. I live in GA and there are barely any to no Kirby mains. If anyone could help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it.

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
I don't really main Kirby anymore but I put in a lot of work with him. So if you have any questions or matches I can review I'll gladly do it.

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Does anyone know the FAFs for Kirby's smash attacks? I tried to look for it in the Epic Guide and the general Frame Data charts on the Smashboards, but my results came up fruitless. :(

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
No I don't! http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/ will have the info... someday! Maybe! Considering every character except Kirby and Villager is on there. And Kirby will be last because reasons. I wish I knew how this info is being gathered, but whatever. All you need to know is that his smashes are unsafe on shield.

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
Actually, KuroganeHammer KuroganeHammer maybe you could answer this question? How did you gather all the information on your website and will Kirby be up there anytime soon? If you need help with gathering frame data and such I could volunteer for it. I would really like to have all of Kirby's frame data somewhere...

Last edited:

Emerlad_Element

Smash Cadet
NNID
EmeraldElementLP
3DS FC
2767-1123-2046
Do you all have a thread for customs at all? I didn't see one on the directory or forums page. If there isn't then may I suggest making one? I know custom tournaments are practically dead so I'd understand if you didn't or put it on the back burner or what have you lol. I'm going to a pretty big customs tournament in January and I hear that Kirby is better with them so I'd like to bring him out if there's a match I can't win with Samus. Just a thought :)

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
What are some good mixups to go for with jabs/jab cancels? Playing some friendlies with Mike made me realize I have a really bad habit of usually going for rapid jab too much and getting punished for it (probably because Kirby is small and floaty). Also, are any of these mixups recommended guaranteed or is it based off of frame advantage?

Top Bottom