• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Kirby's Pondering Curse - Kirby Q&A/FAQ/Directory [CHECK HERE BEFORE MAKING A NEW THREAD]

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl

This is where you can ask any questions that pertain and relate to Kirby in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS. Anybody is free to answer any asked questions, so there's no reason to hesitate. Hopefully you can find answers to any questions you have here! As questions come in, I'll add the most frequent ones here.

This is the place to go hang out with others, along with introduce yourself. Anything can be talked about as long as it follows the rules.
You can go here to discuss mostly anything relating to Kirby in this iteration of Smash.
Head over here to find other Kirby mains, and possibly start some matches up.
Here is where you can find and post videos showing off our pink squishy hero in action.
Discuss how Kirby fares against the other competitors over here. This also doubles as the place to talk about the different stages and how they affect Kirby.

A general guide about Kirby in Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS, going over just about everything there is.

Last edited:

Skymin50

Smash Cadet
Is Kirby being floaty a good or a bad thing in SSB4? With vectoring allowing you to stay in, I'd imagine it'd be nice for Kirby to be able to stick in the air a liiiiittle longer, but I know absolutely nothing so.

Also, is Kirby as good as a few people have been saying? I've heard he's not perfect but he looks MUCH better from Brawl/Melee. I'm hoping he is, I've been wanting to main Kirby for ages.

SmileyStation

Smash Journeyman
Is Kirby being floaty a good or a bad thing in SSB4? With vectoring allowing you to stay in, I'd imagine it'd be nice for Kirby to be able to stick in the air a liiiiittle longer, but I know absolutely nothing so.

Also, is Kirby as good as a few people have been saying? I've heard he's not perfect but he looks MUCH better from Brawl/Melee. I'm hoping he is, I've been wanting to main Kirby for ages.
Its not a matter of it being a good or bad thing in this game, its really just his speed. Hed be great if his base speed was faster than it was. It makes his jumps less predictable. Jigglypuff got a pretty good upgrade all around due to the game's new mechanics as an example. Shes playing fairly similar to melee as far as combo utility with the exception of wavedashing and L-cancelling. Her huge weakness was that you couldnt really combo in that game because of the low attack stun which made her an easy flying target because she was TOO floaty. So much that you could just spam air attacks and she would be right in range because her speed was making her too close to opponents after hitting them.

Kirby is going to be BETTER in this game, but im not sure if hes going to be good yet. His old combos got nerfed and i dont see too many new ones yet.

Last edited:

JipC

Smash Journeyman
How's his upair? Is it PM-tier strong? Recently played Brawl to do another comparison and it feels really... Flimsy, I guess, compared to in PM

Well I mean is it even possible for anything not to look better than Melee Kirby? Better than Brawl Kirby is good enough for me, his custom specials seem interesting too (jumping inhale looks like it was MADE for Kirbyciding)

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl

Kirby being a floaty character is both a good and bad thing. One of the main buffs about being floaty is that he can stay in the air longer, allowing him to juggle better. The bad thing is that he'll die extremely fast, so... yeah Also, his gimping ability and recovery will be helped with his floatyness.

Also, he's been heavily buffed, especially compared to Brawl and Melee. However, if you want to main him, just go and play him. The meta-game is young, so YOU can help make Kirby a good character.

How's his upair? Is it PM-tier strong? Recently played Brawl to do another comparison and it feels really... Flimsy, I guess, compared to in PM

Well I mean is it even possible for anything not to look better than Melee Kirby? Better than Brawl Kirby is good enough for me, his custom specials seem interesting too (jumping inhale looks like it was MADE for Kirbyciding)
Kirby's Up-Air, from my knowledge, is not PM-tier strong. It's not a kill move, so don't expect to go send people flying with it. However, while it is short-ranged, it covers an arch above Kirby, so it should be great for juggling characters. Also, lol, Jump Inhale really does look like it's made for Kirby-ciding. I'll probably be switching between the default and Jump Inhale, mainly to support my recovery.

I need help to beat little mac
he is just too ****ing fast lol
Use the air to your advantage. Little Mac is horrible in the air, while Kirby is great. Kirby's air speed isn't that great, though, so be careful.

2Mixer

Smash Apprentice
yeah i know
when i get him offstage, its easy
but once he is in defense, its very hard to approach, since little mac moves are so fast + powerful

Agent Emerald

Smash Journeyman
Are there any ways to safely land Hammer Flip? How long can you charge it without taking recoil?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Seems to be 3 seconds before you start taking recoil. The only way to land it safely is to use it to punish an extremely laggy move, like Little Mac's Side B.

Agent Emerald

Smash Journeyman
Seems to be 3 seconds before you start taking recoil. The only way to land it safely is to use it to punish an extremely laggy move, like Little Mac's Side B.
Is there any visual notification that the charge is about to recoil?

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Is there any visual notification that the charge is about to recoil?
The Hammer starts Flaming really franticly.
No Flames = Just Started
Small Flames = Getting Warmer
Large yet Slow Flames = Almost There
Large, Frantic Flames = Recoil Starts

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
Sorry if this is a noob question, as I haven't played much of Kirby yet but I seem to remember being able to instantly side b out of a down b and it doesn't seem to work anymore. Am I just getting the timing wrong or does it not work anymore? I understand this wasn't that great of thing to do but it was useful if they were just waiting for you to pop out of your down b.

Totally Casual

Smash Cadet
I'm using dair meteor smash a lot when I practice against CPUs, is this actually going to be useful when I find humans to play the game with?

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
I'm using dair meteor smash a lot when I practice against CPUs, is this actually going to be useful when I find humans to play the game with?
Yes, especially if you perform a Footstool right after. Normally, you can meteor smash around 120% on Mario - weight character.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
His Dair is amazing for gimping in this game, yes.
The only aerial that feels nerfed from Brawl is (imo) Bair. It doesn't feel like it has the priority it used to, it feels like it gets beaten by any disjointed hitbox. I don't know though, I'm probably too busy spamming Fairs and Nairs to know for sure.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
D-air has been an essential part of my game recently. Off-stage gimping is really useful, especially in specific match-ups (Donkey Kong, Bowser, Little Mac, etc). You have to follow the opponent closely with the Meteor Smash to get the Footstool combo, if they're at higher damage you want to Fast Fall with them and then Footstool while they're still in HitStun.

WootSnorlax

Smash Apprentice
Yes especially so, don't forget to fastfall the dair too because it carries them down with you during the attack!

SmileyStation

Smash Journeyman
Yes especially so, don't forget to fastfall the dair too because it carries them down with you during the attack!
Dairs are situational. You should put some speed into it based on if you know its going to work of if you already have a clear advantage. Putting too much force on it could get you killed with agile characters.

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
I've been studying up a little bit and practicing, but I don't know what for sure the response is. With Kirby's strong, fast pummel, does Kirby have a good "grab game?"

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Yes, his grab game is good. He has very few combo options out of grabs, but they all put him in a pretty good position. His grab range may have been nerfed since Brawl, I'm not sure, but it's still good. Pummels are good, Upthrow and Bthrow can KO.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
Serious question. I mained Kirby in Brawl, and in this game he seems overall nerfed. Am I missing something? His range on his key moves like f-tilt and b-air are worse, and a character that already has issues vs camping and who struggles to approach had one of his most key attributes taken from him- his follow ups from his grabs so he now struggles even more to build damage early game. Yeah, u-tilt is still great, drill has improved and can lead to an u-tilt but how viable is it vs good players when kirby has slow airspeed??

Also forgot to mention- It feels like f-air and b-air have worse priority as well.

tl;dr Is there any point in using him if you already use Jigglypuff? He feels outclassed and stripped of what made him viable in Brawl. The range and grab nerf was really unwarranted. Maybe I'm playing him wrong, can someone explain what is more his focus this time around in his gameplan, otherwise he seems like an inferior Jigglypuff :(

thanks

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
We all main or at least use Kirby from Brawl/Melee/64. He is a different character. Your old stuff will not work. So first, stop comparing him to his Brawl self. Next, stop comparing him to Jiggy. Watch some videos, read some information and test things out. Trust me, it takes time but it worth. I have a new understanding for him now and have improved greatly.

So let's get you started -
Nair and Dair are the new bread and butter. You can combo plenty of moves with it (depending on when your opponent lands).
Abuse your grab and A Combo.
Dtilt, Dair for gimp, Swallow
Hammer is too slow but still powerful. Charged recoil max out at 100%, you can jump with it and super armor on full swing. Time to learn mind games and get good reads.
Fthrow -> Fair on tall characters or Bthrow->Bair.
3-hits chain well on Fair compared Brawl.
Fsmash kills ~120%
Upsmash kills ~127%
Dsmash kills at ~134%

There. Now Go! Make use of the information and report back when you discover something to share with the community. Good Luck fellow star warrior!

Last edited:

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
We all main or at least use Kirby from Brawl/Melee/64. He is a different character. Your old stuff will not work. So first, stop comparing him to his Brawl self. Next, stop comparing him to Jiggy. Watch some videos, read some information and test things out. Trust me, it takes time but it worth. I have a new understanding for him now and have improved greatly.

So let's get you started -
Nair and Dair are the new bread and butter. You can combo plenty of moves with it (depending on when your opponent lands).
Abuse your grab and A Combo.
Dtilt, Dair for gimp, Swallow
Hammer is too slow but still powerful. Charged recoil max out at 100%, you can jump with it and super armor on full swing. Time to learn mind games and get good reads.
Fthrow -> Fair on tall characters or Bthrow->Bair.
3-hits chain well on Fair compared Brawl.
Fsmash kills ~120%
Upsmash kills ~127%
Dsmash kills at ~134%

There. Now Go! Make use of the information and report back when you discover something to share with the community. Good Luck fellow star warrior!
Thanks, and yeah I watched some of Asidoh's vids and saw how he integrated n-air in his game. It looks fantastic now and leads to combos. His jab seems decent for racking up damage too. Once I add and perfect that stuff into my game all will be well.

I'm bringing my Yellow Pac Man Kirby back! :v

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
Matchups are gonna be pretty challenging with his awful air speed and nerfs from Brawl. Getting people offstage is gonna be a huge part of our meta, no doubt.

LittleKirby

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0344-9780-8721
Ok, I can't stand the problem simply known as ROB

He outranges, outspeed, outspams, and overpowers kirby in every whay
He can recove easily from the bottom

Its nearly impossible to approach him
His spinning top breaks shield and Camo one is hard to see

He can spam nearly as much as pit
He can gimp a recovery or simple ledgegrab
His grab is outrageous
His upthrow nearly always KOs at 120 percent

The only way to really KO him is off the side... but his range stops kirby from doing any sort of Fsmash or FSpecial

HELP :c

the only way I have seemed to get some sort of damage is by spamming hopelessy UpSpecial and Bair, but it leaves me wide open. I can't seem to get any combos whatsoever

Last edited:

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
Matchups are gonna be pretty challenging with his awful air speed and nerfs from Brawl. Getting people offstage is gonna be a huge part of our meta, no doubt.
Another issue I'm seeing with him is b-air isn't as good at killing so he has to rely on his easily telegraphed smashes that have been nerfed in range in power. They do seem to come out quicker though at least and u-smash seems better. N-air is very good now. I've gotten some offstage kills with it which is terrible because offstage n-air is bad lol

Last edited:

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
Actually, D-Smash has some pretty deceptive speed/range/power in this game. It's one of the few moves that got buffed from Brawl rather than nerfed.

Last edited:

Agent Emerald

Smash Journeyman
Actually, D-Smash has some pretty deceptive speed/range/power in this game. It's one of the few moves that got buffed from Brawl rather than nerfed.
I can most defenitylty see speed, and to a degree power, but how is its range?

Totally Casual

Smash Cadet
I feel like i've hit a bit of a brick wall with Kirby recently. I'm struggling to land his finishers for range/them obviously being about to come out reasons and he seems to die earlier than a lot of chars. Aside from continuing to practice dair gimps what would you recommend I should learn to do? In particular, have any combos come out that I can learn?

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
What's the point of Hammer Bash? Yes, i get the the knockback is changed to vertical and is now unchargeable. It's pretty much a direct upgrade, But why does it exist? Why not let him use the Master Sword and not a quick meteor slice? that would be awesome. What use does it have that makes it deserve existence in the game? I'd get if there was a forced degree of charging for vertical, and more knockback, but like it is now it makes no sense. Is it just Hammer, Brawl mode? What do you think? Why did i make a paragraph over a useless move?

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Its just a Brawl version but with consistent Air Hammer hits. Perhaps players don't like Hammer Flip but want Hammer Bash. There you go. Is it better than HF? Beats me. I just can make HF work with mind games. I have a better question. What is the point to Earth Breaker if it doesn't neutralize projectiles? The distance is slightly greater than Final Cutter. The Damage is much greater and its a faster shockwave but still flaw in execution.

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
It's still a downgraded version of Brawl's Hammer since you can't move horizontally during it and you need both swings to connect in order to get the good hit.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Its just a Brawl version but with consistent Air Hammer hits. Perhaps players don't like Hammer Flip but want Hammer Bash. There you go. Is it better than HF? Beats me. I just can make HF work with mind games. I have a better question. What is the point to Earth Breaker if it doesn't neutralize projectiles? The distance is slightly greater than Final Cutter. The Damage is much greater and its a faster shockwave but still flaw in execution.
YEah, there are difference. With hammer Bash, the only difference is to make it worse by making the angle of knockback worse ( affected a lot by gravity and fall speed) and making it unchargeable and you can't move during it. it's one of those few Direct Downgrades in the game. If it was even a bit faster, i wouldn't have asked that question,a s it would have a redeeming qualitiy that makes it unique. Not a bunch of downgrades. So my question was why it exists. Not what it does. because i know what it does so that's why I'm here.

Cryz

Smash Cadet
Greetings Kirby mains!

i wanted to talk about kirbycide. I saw in the kirby forum people saying that the tech was worthless now and it seems to be true, i tried on lvl 9 CPU and whatever their % are, they are always coming out at the same moment (1 sec after swallowing them...). So i was wondering if that was just CPU mashing buttons at supersonic speed or is it not viable at all? I just saw a post in characters competitive impression forum saying that kirbycide was still an option... i'm confused.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
CPUs mash at superhuman speed. However, Kirbycide was nerfed, in that Inhale no longer grants super armor (which suuuuucks) and someone may need to correct me on this, but a lot of times when people break out, they're above you and can footstool you so yeah. I tend to not rely on it anyway because I consider it a gimmick 99% of the time. The option is still there if you have a stock lead and see an opportunity, but usually the risk isn't worth it.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
CPUs mash at superhuman speed. However, Kirbycide was nerfed, in that Inhale no longer grants super armor (which suuuuucks) and someone may need to correct me on this, but a lot of times when people break out, they're above you and can footstool you so yeah. I tend to not rely on it anyway because I consider it a gimmick 99% of the time. The option is still there if you have a stock lead and see an opportunity, but usually the risk isn't worth it.
What if it's a noobish Little Mac, and you got him on the edge for whatever reason. Is it still a bad way to get a free stock on them?

Top Bottom